Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

PRADA SLUT
Mar 14, 2006

Inexperienced,
heartless,
but even so
I don’t use any app-based reading, it’s just “plug into computer > Calibre send to device”

On a Kindle this is a straightforward process, no App Store needed. Is there a compelling reason why an app-enabled ereader is beneficial for my use case?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shart Carbuncle
Aug 4, 2004

Star Trek:
The Motion Picture
In that case, I'd say no, not at all. Most apps don't work well on these devices, anyway.

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

Obscure to all except those well-versed in Yuuzhan Vong lore.
I bought the new signature paperwhite to replace my older model one and haven’t opened it yet so what’s the process of everything I own getting transferred? Is it as simple as logging into my Amazon account and it just does it all? To add a wrinkle, some of the books were purchased via Amazon.co.uk using a fake address in England and setting the account temporarily to it so will those download or is that kind of screwed?

rufius
Feb 27, 2011

Clear alcohols are for rich women on diets.

Shimrra Jamaane posted:

I bought the new signature paperwhite to replace my older model one and haven’t opened it yet so what’s the process of everything I own getting transferred? Is it as simple as logging into my Amazon account and it just does it all? To add a wrinkle, some of the books were purchased via Amazon.co.uk using a fake address in England and setting the account temporarily to it so will those download or is that kind of screwed?

When it comes, it’ll already be signed into your account. Your UK stuff is probably boned unless you redo the tricks.

It won’t have any content on it by default so you’ll have to prompt it to download stuff.

Stupid_Sexy_Flander
Mar 14, 2007

Is a man not entitled to the haw of his maw?
Grimey Drawer
Yea that's the only real annoyance with kindle, be it for PC, phone or the ereader. It won't automatically download all your stuff. I usually just go into calibre and move batches over until I have what I need there. You can log into your library on Amazon and batch click stuff to be sent, but that's gonna depend on when Amazon decides to send it.

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

Obscure to all except those well-versed in Yuuzhan Vong lore.
drat. That’s what I figured. Thanks.

Fart of Presto
Feb 9, 2001
Clapping Larry
With regards to your UK stuff, verify that it's in your Content & Devices/Books, and if it isn't auto sync'ed, just push-deliver it to the device of your choice.

I'm in Denmark, which means no native Kindle shop, and books for sale is through the International license. This means I can't shop books directly at Amazon UK (even when UK was still part of the EU), but am forced to use Amazon US, but not with the US licensed books.
For many years, and through several Kindles, I have been using my buddy's US address for buying Kindle books, published under a US license, and occasionally switching to a fake UK address to buy Kindle books from Amazon UK, published under a UK license, then switching back to the US address a bit later.
All those books are available in Content & Devices/Books, no matter which store I've bought them through, and are all available to push to all devices if needed.

webcams for christ
Nov 2, 2005

My wife is in the market for an eReader, and I haven't kept up with these devices since I got (and eventually lost) a Nook Simple Touch in 2012.

Everything I'm seeing only has internal storage?

We're looking for one that's 7.8 - 10" or so, either removable storage or at least 16gb internal storage, that handles pdfs and epubs well, available to the EU market.

The Boyue P78 Pro looks interesting.

Original_Z
Jun 14, 2005
Z so good
The latest planet money is about publishers vs. libraries in regards to e books and might be interesting to people here:

https://www.npr.org/2022/11/09/1135639385/libraries-publishers-ebooks-e-books-macmillan-protest-amazon-bezos

Personally I think they take the whole “those poor publishers losing so many sales to local libraries!” too much at face value and how apparently everyone has 10 different library accounts to get around restrictions (I’d be amazed if it’s more than 1% of library users), but it shows how each side is doing and how publishers are getting more and more aggressive on fighting libraries.

Clark Nova
Jul 18, 2004

lmao I only just now realized that you can use homebrew to install and manage calibre on a mac instead of manually updating it over and over and over again :doh:

Arson Daily
Aug 11, 2003

speaking of ereaders and libraries my wife wants a new ereader with easy to use overdrive or libby integration. she mostly gets books from the library via overdrive on her phone but hates reading on it. can anyone speak to the kobo readers and overdrive specifically?

Space Fish
Oct 14, 2008

The original Big Tuna.

Arson Daily posted:

can anyone speak to the kobo readers and overdrive specifically?

Kobo Aura One user chiming in, love the Overdrive/Libby functionality. You can look up books on the Kobo and, if it's in your local library, there will be a checkout button. Alternately, you can check out books in Libby and they will appear on your Kobo next time you synch. Pretty painless! Occasionally a book won't appear to be able to checkout on the Kobo, but the Libby workaround has never failed.

8-bit Miniboss
May 24, 2005

CORPO COPS CAME FOR MY :filez:
Yep, works pretty well. Though it got a little less useful for me. Manga books on Libby started going to Media Do licensing which removes the option to download and makes it an in-app read which sucks, fortunately not all publishers. If your wife just reads novels, she'll be more or less fine. Fortunately in Libby, you can see what the book is licensed for before borrowing/holding the book.

Arson Daily
Aug 11, 2003

Fantastic just what I wanted to hear. Glad to get away from the amazon ecosystem too

8-bit Miniboss
May 24, 2005

Kobo has their Black Friday sale active now until December 1st: https://us.kobobooks.com/collections/ereaders?utm_source=kobo&utm_medium=banner&utm_campaign=BlackFriday

doctorfrog
Mar 14, 2007

Great.

Years ago I bought a Kindle (7th gen), and I found that by de-registering it I could load books on it anyway (like from Gutenberg.org or Standard EBooks, and other completely legal and ethical sources), and never see a single ad as long as I kept it in airplane mode. Obviously this means giving up online connectivity, or being able to create groups of books, both of which I can live without, especially if it means I never see ads or interact with Amazon's store.

Just curious if this still works on modern Kindles. Can modern Kindles be de-registered and still be functional readers? And if you keep them offline, will they have no ads?

Side experience: I also have a Kobo Mini whose battery stopped holding a charge after less than a year. I'll never buy a Kobo again, but every now and then I think of how nice it was to have an eReader that small. Little devices are underrated.

PRADA SLUT
Mar 14, 2006

Inexperienced,
heartless,
but even so

Is the battery life on the Sage still poo poo? I want an 8” for manga. My 7” Oasis is too small to read text without straining my eyes after 10 minutes.

PlushCow
Oct 19, 2005

The cow eats the grass

doctorfrog posted:

Years ago I bought a Kindle (7th gen), and I found that by de-registering it I could load books on it anyway (like from Gutenberg.org or Standard EBooks, and other completely legal and ethical sources), and never see a single ad as long as I kept it in airplane mode. Obviously this means giving up online connectivity, or being able to create groups of books, both of which I can live without, especially if it means I never see ads or interact with Amazon's store.

Just curious if this still works on modern Kindles. Can modern Kindles be de-registered and still be functional readers? And if you keep them offline, will they have no ads?

Side experience: I also have a Kobo Mini whose battery stopped holding a charge after less than a year. I'll never buy a Kobo again, but every now and then I think of how nice it was to have an eReader that small. Little devices are underrated.

You can get amazon to take off the ads for free instead of paying the $20, just talk to their customer service and say you got some inappropriate ads and that you feel you shouldn't have to pay to get those kinds of ads taken off.

PRADA SLUT
Mar 14, 2006

Inexperienced,
heartless,
but even so

PlushCow posted:

You can get amazon to take off the ads for free instead of paying the $20, just talk to their customer service and say you got some inappropriate ads and that you feel you shouldn't have to pay to get those kinds of ads taken off.

I told them I previously paid for no ads and they “carried it forward”

I did, but that was like three Kindles ago.

8-bit Miniboss
May 24, 2005

PRADA SLUT posted:

Is the battery life on the Sage still poo poo? I want an 8” for manga. My 7” Oasis is too small to read text without straining my eyes after 10 minutes.

I haven't used my uhhhhh 4th(?) Sage since I got it back from Kobo and have been using my Forma. Felt like battery was still jank and somehow worse with the PowerCover since it feels like it's actively draining when it's sleeping.

smr
Dec 18, 2002

lol this Scribe is ridiculous but I kinda love it. If they put page turn buttons on that left bezel (which I do love for easy holding without touching the screen itself) and a cellular modem I’d get rid of my smaller ones entirely. Maps from history books (a lot of what I read) look great on it, something I can’t say for any other Kindle.

Shart Carbuncle
Aug 4, 2004

Star Trek:
The Motion Picture
Rad. I’ve got one on order.

I’m hoping they add a 2 column view for landscape reading like the kindle tablet app has.

hatty
Feb 28, 2011

Pork Pro
If it was easier to add comics to it I’d be down

smackfu
Jun 7, 2004

I forgot the Scribe was coming out and looks like reviews dropped last week.

https://www.theverge.com/23484927/amazon-kindle-scribe-e-reader-notetaking-pen-review

Might buy one just for fun, even though I have no interest in note taking.

RichterIX
Apr 11, 2003

Sorrowful be the heart
My wife likes hers a lot so far-- it's missing some QoL stuff but I don't know how much will change in software with patches over time, it seems like it's a little underbaked at the moment:

-no pressure sensitivity for the pen
-templates are notebook-wide so you can have a notebook with, say, one calendar page and then another template for the second page and so on
-annotations can be exported via PDF but if your annotations are on a PDF in the first place it only exports the annotated pages, not the entire PDF with the markups

Red Robin Hood
Jun 24, 2008

Buglord
The Scribe is beautiful but there are a few things I don't like about it:
1. No physical buttons for page turning. I actually scoffed at people complaining about this, but I've already had a dozen or so page turn presses that didn't register and I'd rather just have buttons.
2. The case is weird in that it doesn't actually hug the corners of the device. It also seems to come off the nubs quite easily.
3. Comics/manga I've dropped on the device using Calibre show 2 pages of content per page and I can't figure out how to force it to only show 1 page. Any ideas?

edit: I will say, I'm enjoying the writing/note taking a lot more than I expected to.

Bunk Rogers
Mar 14, 2002

I absolutely love my Remarkable 2. Hope Bezos doesn’t torpedo the company.

xarph
Jun 18, 2001

Does kobo have a cloud storage thing for sideloading like kindle? I make heavy use of emailing epubs and pdfs so my kindle syncs progress with the ios app.

8-bit Miniboss
May 24, 2005

xarph posted:

Does kobo have a cloud storage thing for sideloading like kindle? I make heavy use of emailing epubs and pdfs so my kindle syncs progress with the ios app.

Forma, Sage and Elipsa have Dropbox. Not sure on the Libra 1 or 2.

Rudeboy Detective
Apr 28, 2011

8-bit Miniboss posted:

Forma, Sage and Elipsa have Dropbox. Not sure on the Libra 1 or 2.

The Libra 2 doesn't come out of the box with Dropbox enabled, but adding/unlocking it is pretty trivial with NickelMenu

Having Dropbox built into my Libra 2 definitely made fleeing the kindleverse much easier.

PRADA SLUT
Mar 14, 2006

Inexperienced,
heartless,
but even so
Is a 10.3” ereader too unwieldy to read standing up on a commuter rail? I can handle my 7” Oasis just fine but something like a 9.7” iPad is too heavy.

I’m still looking for a manga specific reader and it seems the only reasonable 8” is the Boox Nova Air C which I can’t find. I don’t give a poo poo about a stylus but it seems I can’t escape it at the 10.3” side.

zhar
May 3, 2019

I want a manga reader as well, personally I'm just hoping there will be an 8 inch oasis with a good battery announced in the next few months when the foxconn issues get cleared up.

Red Robin Hood
Jun 24, 2008

Buglord

PRADA SLUT posted:

Is a 10.3” ereader too unwieldy to read standing up on a commuter rail? I can handle my 7” Oasis just fine but something like a 9.7” iPad is too heavy.

I’m still looking for a manga specific reader and it seems the only reasonable 8” is the Boox Nova Air C which I can’t find. I don’t give a poo poo about a stylus but it seems I can’t escape it at the 10.3” side.

Kindle Scribe is about the same weight as an iPad Air (M1). I've used the iPad Mini as a Manga reader and found it very satisfying.

smackfu
Jun 7, 2004

Did they stop doing Kindle Daily Deals? I only have monthly deals section under Deals on my Kindle.

Stupid_Sexy_Flander
Mar 14, 2007

Grimey Drawer
Angryrobot.com has a daily sale going for the 12 days of Christmas. New book every day, probably .99 squiggle cause they are UK based and I have no idea how to do that sign.

Humerus
Jul 7, 2009

Rule of acquisition #111:
Treat people in your debt like family...exploit them.

Stupid_Sexy_Flander posted:

Angryrobot.com has a daily sale going for the 12 days of Christmas. New book every day, probably .99 squiggle cause they are UK based and I have no idea how to do that sign.

The URL is angryrobotbooks.com, but I'm having trouble actually adding today's book to my cart. It sounded interesting enough for ~$1 but whenever I select ebook and add to cart it says "Please choose product options by visiting Bluebird."

However, my library extension on Chrome told me that my library has it so I'll probably just check it out :shrug:

Arson Daily
Aug 11, 2003

My wife and I exchanged eReaders for Xmas! I got her a Kobo Libra 2 and she got me a Paperwhite. She uses overdrive almost exclusively and that functionality is pretty good in the Libra and I have a huge kindle library and just dont want to switch providers. The new paperwhite is super nice and she even got me one with no ads. huge fan

Stupid_Sexy_Flander
Mar 14, 2007

Grimey Drawer
Anyone else having trouble using calibre to send epubs to the kindle? Over USB, not email.

I just cannot seem to make it use that format. Weird.

Wibla
Feb 16, 2011

Have you tried to use .mobi?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Stupid_Sexy_Flander
Mar 14, 2007

Grimey Drawer
Yea, mobi works fine. Just with all the stuff about epub being the new sending format it surprised me that I can't actually put em in the kindle.