Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Super No Vacancy
Jul 26, 2012

anybody good at the game want to post a screenshot of their work order screen

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

Things could be going better

Super No Vacancy posted:

anybody good at the game want to post a screenshot of their work order screen

Not sure about "good at game" but this is what mine looks like, is there anything specific you are looking for?

I am lazy and just default to 10 of most items

Jazerus
May 24, 2011

work orders are pretty simple

if you just want a one-time order of a pile of things, use the default order.

if you want a constant supply, but not oversupply, of things, use the first suggested condition in the conditions screen - make x when there is less than 10 of x available.

if you want a workshop to work on one thing forever, click on the clock icon on the conditions screen and it'll switch to "restart if finished, check daily" which is dwarf fortress speak for "forever". this is more resilient than a perpetual task and will restart if interrupted once the materials are available or the goblin thief is dead or whatever. these are good for tasks like milking, shearing, cheesemaking, etc.

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

I also use work orders to make a batch of things I have no idea where they're made at since you can make general orders that any shop picks up. Or at least as a good way to tell if I can make something with what workshops or materials I have.

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

TIL that apparently random dwarves will try and sneak into your fort and start killing people. I guess I should have listened when the game pointed the guy out to me.

It was fun reading the combat log where he stumbled across a marksdwarf who proceeded to beat him senseless with his iron crossbow before strangling him to death with his bare hands.

yorkinshire
Apr 28, 2009

In space no one can hear your dope beats.
Do your dwarves stop hanging around what was the wagon area once you create more zones? Also is there a way to view all existing zones?

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

yorkinshire posted:

Do your dwarves stop hanging around what was the wagon area once you create more zones? Also is there a way to view all existing zones?

The "places" tab (looks like a little tent on bottom right) shows that.

As for the cart, you can dismantle it to get them to move on.

Super No Vacancy
Jul 26, 2012

yeah I’ve got some setup I’m just trying to see what other items/tasks should always be underway. do I want one for ash/potash?

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

Super No Vacancy posted:

yeah I’ve got some setup I’m just trying to see what other items/tasks should always be underway. do I want one for ash/potash?

Whatever you think that you might need to keep on hand, or dont want to have to keep going back and designating when you need it. You can set it to make it if you have at least X spare wood as well.

sloppy portmanteau
Feb 4, 2019
How do I get up to a "decent" bedroom or dining room? Do they need to be larger than 3x3? I have them smoothed and engraved, with copper furniture, but its still just regular.

Nosre
Apr 16, 2002

My cliffside fortress is getting a sweet meeting area/dining hall, with an open view to the breeze (a chasm breeze, obviously. We're not elves). The protrusions lead up to statues looking down on the bottom floor (it's 3 levels tall), and it also looks kind of like a robot in retrospect

It also claimed its first victim, when constructed stairs collapsed and knocked my starting 7 miner off the edge. So one of the statues is a memorial slab, RIP Tobul

I went to expand the entry bridge with a 2-wide one and get it linked up properly (it was set to retract in the wrong direction) but it turns out that one stone on the left edge is preventing construction. So now we need to build an OSHA-approved temporary walkway to get over there to the other side. I'm sure it'll be fine?

Nosre
Apr 16, 2002

sloppy portmanteau posted:

How do I get up to a "decent" bedroom or dining room? Do they need to be larger than 3x3? I have them smoothed and engraved, with copper furniture, but its still just regular.

Size doesn't matter as much as the value of the things in it. Adding statues is the classic way to do it. But anything that raises value will work - like a piece of mundane furniture made out of platinum will do more than a statue made out of stone

Put an artefact on a pedestal in there and it'll rocket up to the top level of opulence instantly

TheSwizzler
May 13, 2005

LETTIN THE CAT OUTTA THE BAG

CuddleCryptid posted:

TIL that apparently random dwarves will try and sneak into your fort and start killing people. I guess I should have listened when the game pointed the guy out to me.

It was fun reading the combat log where he stumbled across a marksdwarf who proceeded to beat him senseless with his iron crossbow before strangling him to death with his bare hands.

They're after your artifacts, you get a lot of these guys if you've got a successful tavern going on

Squiggle
Sep 29, 2002

I don't think she likes the special sauce, Rick.

sloppy portmanteau posted:

Have the furniture made by skilled artisans, and the quality will really spike the value of a bedroom.

PublicOpinion
Oct 21, 2010

Her style is new but the face is the same as it was so long ago...
Size can certainly help, my mayor is satisfied with his smoothed 7x5 rooms that don't have anything special in terms of extra furniture.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

PublicOpinion posted:

Size can certainly help, my mayor is satisfied with his smoothed 7x5 rooms that don't have anything special in terms of extra furniture.

From what I remember, each tile has a value, smoothing it adds to the value, etc. So an empty room made from, say, smoothed diamond walls, extremely valuable. Large room = more tiles =more value.

Admiral Joeslop
Jul 8, 2010

Squiggle posted:

Have the furniture made by skilled artisans, and the quality will really spike the value of a bedroom.

You can also Encrust Furniture with Gems which I'm sure adds a decent amount.

Athanatos
Jun 7, 2006

Est. 2000
I assumed I would be digging and making fantastic armors and fighting creatures from the deep. These dwarves are different. They want to have the greatest Tavern in history.

The Tavern is packed 24/7. I get non-stop petitions from Bards, Poets, Dancers to live here so they can hang out at this Tavern all day. Everything made and created is put toward making the Tavern better.

Squiggle
Sep 29, 2002

I don't think she likes the special sauce, Rick.

Hieronymous Alloy posted:

From what I remember, each tile has a value, smoothing it adds to the value, etc. So an empty room made from, say, smoothed diamond walls, extremely valuable. Large room = more tiles =more value.

Yep, that too - so make sure also that your "room" actually includes the walls around it. Otherwise the smoothing won't count for poo poo.

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

CuddleCryptid posted:

Not sure about "good at game" but this is what mine looks like, is there anything specific you are looking for?

I am lazy and just default to 10 of most items

TBF 10 is a pretty solid order for most of the poo poo I use this for, and I've started just making two jobs if I need 20 rock pots or whatever and it's a one time thing. In early forting you'll rarely need more than ten of something at a time, and by the time you get to later forting you can either edit it or set it so that it's a supply check ('if less than 100 booze, run 10 brew plants and 10 brew fruits')

It might be an accident but it's been quite nice.

Yooper
Apr 30, 2012

Anyone know which cavern settings will make nice, open, usable caverns? All of mine are just ridiculous vertical spaces with hardly a terrace to work with.

Krowley
Feb 15, 2008

One of my dwarves went mad after hiding in their room due to a fey mood, do I have to worry about him opening up the barred door to a flooded well room?

Also, anyone else getting CTDs after the new patch? Didn't have that issue before.

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
okay so my new fortress is in a nice enough spot, I think I'll get gobbo attacks rather than undead slaughter timer. No stream, but a nice heavy forest and mountain cliffface to dig into.

I've also immediately dug a staircase down pretty deep and found a large cavern, relatively safe one i think. Down here there is a big stone block road, havent gotten to edges yet but i reckon it goes from edge to edge of this map. can traders show up on this road? Is this road my doom, or can i start building a little cute village down here? little one story burrows for individual shops and rooms? aside from digging little rooms into stone just being easier, will dwarves be happy in houses and stuff built in a cavern?

gently caress it, im going to find out, im super jazzed about this idea of building an underground cavern city on this one floor as if it were the surface. I can even make false floors over the gaps on this area, build some little posts around the map eventually so people can get to the real surface for stuff if they need to, without

oh drat this cavern road is sick, it's got a little underpass with slopes

Khanstant fucked around with this message at 21:06 on Dec 10, 2022

Jazerus
May 24, 2011

ah i see dwarves are back to being pretty grumpy

had to put down a guy who went into a strange mood and wanted impossible stuff and his family went crazy over it. blood and vomit and teeth spattered across the central staircase from top to bottom, my legendary brewer's hands are mangled beyond recognition, my only doctor had his ribs broken by a still-unruly patient as the fight spilled into the hospital

Mirthless
Mar 27, 2011

by the sex ghost

Athanatos posted:

I assumed I would be digging and making fantastic armors and fighting creatures from the deep. These dwarves are different. They want to have the greatest Tavern in history.

The Tavern is packed 24/7. I get non-stop petitions from Bards, Poets, Dancers to live here so they can hang out at this Tavern all day. Everything made and created is put toward making the Tavern better.

Back when these were first introduced, I ended up building one of my most successful forts ever around it's tavern, I noticed I was getting beastman adventurers pretty regularly when it first went up and I was so delighted that I kept expanding it; I built it as a tremendous surface level outbuilding, entirely out of gold blocks, with all gold furniture; I am sure this was extremely overkill and the value of the building was doing nothing at this point, but why not go to 11

sloppy portmanteau
Feb 4, 2019
OK I finally managed to get one bedroom to decent with a pedestal loaded with a bunch of figurines (does only 1 count?), I guess my mayor is a bit of a nerd.

But in another bedroom I placed a puzzlebox artifact worth 2000 on a pedestal, but that still didn't change the room quality, I'm pretty sure that thing alone is worth more than all the stuff in the other room combined. What could I be doing wrong there?

Broken Cog
Dec 29, 2009

We're all friends here
How can I help fulfill "Need: be with family" for people that don't have a family?

Edit: Also, how come my dwarves keep racking up unmet needs for praying? I have a pretty large, non-dedicated temple they can use.

Broken Cog fucked around with this message at 21:22 on Dec 10, 2022

Albinator
Mar 31, 2010

I have an old embark from back in the .34.11 days that I'd like to take another stab at in the new version (lovely spot, high waterfalls, narrow canyon for a cool drawbridge entrance halfway up the cliff wall, little bit of everything). Would a seed that old still work?

e: I gave it a try, but the detailed mode screen has all kinds of strange behaviours when you try to type in seeds (c/p not available seemingly), so who knows.

Albinator fucked around with this message at 21:33 on Dec 10, 2022

Affi
Dec 18, 2005

Break bread wit the enemy

X GON GIVE IT TO YA
So can you still stack things in bins? What does those take?

NyetscapeNavigator
Sep 22, 2003

My first tavern is getting overrun by bards petitioning to become entertainers. I accepted the first bunch of them but I'm turning everyone else away because I'm guessing an entire fortress full of bards and such are just going to deplete my food and drink supplies.

Clocks
Oct 2, 2007

Broken Cog posted:

How can I help fulfill "Need: be with family" for people that don't have a family?

Edit: Also, how come my dwarves keep racking up unmet needs for praying? I have a pretty large, non-dedicated temple they can use.

I think those dwarves are just stuck being family-less. Most of my starter dwarves are like this.

Also as far as I can tell, the prayer thing might be a combination of not having enough downtime (ie if they're too busy crafting or hauling stuff and just don't get around to idling) as well as some dwarves preferring having dedicated temples.

Godlessdonut
Sep 13, 2005

lol goddammit, summer of my first year and one of my original seven just go promoted to king. Gonna be a while before I can meet his needs.

hailthefish
Oct 24, 2010

Broken Cog posted:

Iirc dwarves are just idiots and will spend every waking moment in the tavern across the hall from the temple, drinking away their sorrows over not being able to pray

Pharnakes
Aug 14, 2009
How does one check for wagon accessibility now?

Broken Cog
Dec 29, 2009

We're all friends here

Well, this guy gotta be the most miserable dwarf there is, because he's incapable of both praying and socializing.

Pakled
Aug 6, 2011

WE ARE SMART
Oh god
My fortress is under assault by a werechameleon and it's invisible.

DarkMatt
Nov 3, 2010
I've played long enough to spin up a story.

So, I wanted to embark with a waterfall. I love them. The first major fortress I had, one of my major projects was to build an artificial waterfall in that fort, but I also just liked the idea of waterfall fortress.

Against my better judgement my embark site is a stream, which means my dwarves if they decide to panic can just go into the drink and never come out. That's how I lost my fisherdwarf early on. It gets worse. Wild animals also tend to swim around in the stream, on purpose or not, and then get dragged over the waterfall and die horribly. Even alligators do this.

I once tried to make a bridge across the canyon to start expanding beyond the stream. I just went with a temporary floor bridge since I wanted to build a bridge and I needed empty space on the other side and not a cliff face. Anyway, I dug my hole in the opposite cliff, removed one end of the floor bridge, and then the other. I was watching the entire time and I saw that the dwarf was on stable ground and not, say, on the bridge as he disconnected it. That didn't stop the bridge from EXPLODING the moment and hurtling the blocks into the dwarf's face. You'd think gravity would just have it fall and crash in the water. No. It exploded. To add insult, and fear, to injury, he wasn't blown back. No, he stumbled over the cliff and into the drink, dying shortly after the blocks hitting him in the face.

It gets better. I eventually started having Kobold thieves and, I did dig out an emergency escape tunnel for the stream in case a dwarf goes in again, just as an attempt to save lives. Well, a Kobold, trying to flee guards, went INTO that tunnel...and was then promptly carried by the current over the fall and to his death. What made it striking was he managed to regain consciousness and flail about in the drink for a brief moment before dying to blood loss.

I'm starting to fear and respect this waterfall at this point. It's not just the Kobold, many animals (some of which are mine!) are playing with this deathtrap and then getting thrown off the edge. I once thought Dwarven Children to be omnipotent and nigh unstoppable. I can fear and respect those children. This, though. This isn't a beast, or a monstrosity. It's practically a deity, something to be worshipped and prayed to to ensure disposal of my enemies and protection of my allies, lest I suffer its wrath.

I have witnessed firsthand that I and my fortress am still insignificant to the waterfall, because I have seen, an entire pack of wild boar, go in, fall over, and survive. Walk it off. Get back on land. What made me really fear this place was that many creatures are killed by it. Mercilessly. Boars on the other hand? Treat jumping off the fall as a rite of passage it seems. A proof of adulthood. I am starting to regret my life decisions coming to this place. It is fickle and savage, and it ultimately decides who lives and who dies here.

...That and I broke into the caverns too fast and I don't have nearly enough hands to haul stuff around now, so I may leave it, but I'm feeling an urge to play it out until it collapses.

If this qualifies me for a gangtag I'll take it.

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
i cant google this without getting wrong answers to diff questions.

how do i lock or save a location? my main floor is on elevation 10. i want to be able to just get back to here with one click or shortcut.

Pakled
Aug 6, 2011

WE ARE SMART

Khanstant posted:

how do i lock or save a location? my main floor is on elevation 10. i want to be able to just get back to here with one click or shortcut.

Hotkey menu, it's one of the buttons surrounding the minimap.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

Khanstant posted:

not sure you can but if your beer halls there you can zoom to a chilling dwarf