Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

PurpleXVI
Oct 30, 2011

Spewing insults, pissing off all your neighbors, betraying your allies, backing out of treaties and accords, and generally screwing over the global environment?
ALL PART OF MY BRILLIANT STRATEGY!

Arsenic Lupin posted:

Are you proofing the yeast before using? I ask because I'm diagnosing my own disease; I found out while proofing yesterday that my yeast had flat-out died. Other than that, have you tried the "microwave as proofing box" trick? Nuke a cup of water until it boils, quickly open microwave, put bread in, close. (Do not turn the microwave back on!) This will give your dough a consistent warmth/humidity environment to rise in.

e: Proofing is just pouring ~a cup of the water/milk/liquid from the recipe, warming it to at least 80F or so, stirring the yeast in, and watching to see if the yeast has formed clumps on the surface by, say, 10 minutes. Then mix into flour as usual.

Hm, I wasn't! I generally assumed that if the yeast looked... yeasty, and normal, and wasn't over the expected last-use date, the yeast would be alive.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sir Sidney Poitier
Aug 14, 2006

My favourite actor

Arsenic Lupin posted:

Unsolicited equipment rec: for years I have sneered at dough whisks (AKA Danish dough whisks). I was wrong. They incorporate dough as well as I can do with my hands, while being much easier to clean than my hands. https://www.seriouseats.com/danish-dough-whisk-brodpisker

I have had one for years, having read what I think was an earlier version of that same article! It's what I use to get it started but there comes a point where the amount of dough I'm working with (300g flour as per recipe) just comes up with the whisk when I lift it so I get involved with my hands.

I honestly don't think it was inadequately mixed because it's how I've always done it and it's always turned out alright - the only variable that had changed was its stay in the fridge. I mix the dry ingredients, add the wet and use the dough whisk, leave it 10 minutes, quick fold, another 10 minutes, another fold, and by that point it's relatively uniform seeming. I did the same to a dough which rose overnight and I baked without cold fermenting today - it turned out fine.

Sir Sidney Poitier fucked around with this message at 18:48 on Dec 10, 2022

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

This particularly rapid💨 unintelligible 😖patter💁 isn't generally heard🧏‍♂️, and if it is🤔, it doesn't matter💁.

PurpleXVI posted:

Hm, I wasn't! I generally assumed that if the yeast looked... yeasty, and normal, and wasn't over the expected last-use date, the yeast would be alive.
I have never, ever had a yeast problem before living in my current house, but here I've had two different batches of a reliable brand (Red Star) fail without warning. I blame the refrigerator and freezer, both of which are inconsistent; if the new fridge doesn't solve the problem, I will blame yeast demons.

Submarine Sandpaper
May 27, 2007

I got a dough whisk and i not only thought it was worse than hands (you don't feel) it also broke on a dryer dough I didn't want to break my KA

Sir Lemming
Jan 27, 2009

It's a piece of JUNK!
On the same topic, going back to my yeast issue, I tried one of those packets of Red Star and it worked like a charm. I was also extra careful about water temperature and stuff, so there are a few other possible factors, but I'm pretty sure it was the yeast. I'll have to consider this to avoid dead loaves in the future!

SmokingFrog0641
Oct 29, 2011

First attempt at demi-baguettes. First time posting the thread. I think next time I’m going to try doing a longer fermentation period. This time I did the poolish/sponge for 14 hours then after mixing did 45 minutes between folds when following a recipe. I also really need to learn how to do the folds better so I close the seam on the ends. Also, maybe I should have baked longer than 25 min at 450?

I’ve baked for a while off and on but mainly stuck with challah or no kneads. I got some rye flours earlier in the year and enjoyed learning some rye recipes like Boston Brown Bread and Rieska. I think though I’d like to hone my skills some on baguettes and use them for some of my lunches each week.

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

I think I died and woke up in L.A.,
I don't know how I wound up in this place...

:canada:

Arsenic Lupin posted:

Wildly unsuccessful attempt at slashing. Can anybody give me slashing tips? Even when I use a brand-new razor straight out of the packet, the razor drags and tears a shaggy line through the dough. Should I be putting more force into the slash? Holding the razor at a different angle? (Right now, 90 degrees to the dough surface).

Dip the blade in vegetable oil.

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

This particularly rapid💨 unintelligible 😖patter💁 isn't generally heard🧏‍♂️, and if it is🤔, it doesn't matter💁.

So, my yeast has been known dead since Thursday. Everybody in the house is sick. We have a new fridge arriving Wednesday, so this is a bad time to open my last pack of Red Star.

I need my bread, man. I have recipes to make that aren't sourdough or levain based. I AM SUFfering here.

Also, thank you Mr. facetious.

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

Really like using a food processor to work the frozen grated butter into the dry ingredients. Works better than my fingers. Good results too.

effika
Jun 19, 2005
Birds do not want you to know any more than you already do.
Good looking biscuits.

I made pancake casserole for dinner this week and I have some leftover buttermilk. Looks like it's Biscuit Time. Just going to be breakfast for dinner until this jug is used up. Oh no, whatever shall I do

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

effika posted:

Good looking biscuits.

I made pancake casserole for dinner this week and I have some leftover buttermilk. Looks like it's Biscuit Time. Just going to be breakfast for dinner until this jug is used up. Oh no, whatever shall I do

Pancake... casserole? Do tell.

Rocko Bonaparte
Mar 12, 2002

Every day is Friday!
Heh. The way those biscuits rose looks a lot like they came out of a can. I don't mean to insult like that. I'm actually impressed with that lift. I think my wife prefers biscuits that are basically giant pie pastries, which is strange because she doesn't like pie that much. So I've been the odd one out trying to get that kind of effect.

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

Rocko Bonaparte posted:

Heh. The way those biscuits rose looks a lot like they came out of a can. I don't mean to insult like that. I'm actually impressed with that lift. I think my wife prefers biscuits that are basically giant pie pastries, which is strange because she doesn't like pie that much. So I've been the odd one out trying to get that kind of effect.

I actually use an old bean can as my cutter :ironicat:, just push down hard and fast.
And I make sure to keep everything cold as possible: frozen butter that's grated, the mixing bowl has a cold pack underneath, etc., and I always preheat the oven.

What I really need is some dowels so i can use a rolling pin to get a consistent thickness; I'm terrible at doing it with my hands.

This is my go-to recipe, plus a half-teaspoon of Old Bay:
https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3961263#post514426176

Mister Facetious fucked around with this message at 08:36 on Dec 16, 2022

effika
Jun 19, 2005

Mister Facetious posted:

Pancake... casserole? Do tell.

Blueberry Pancake Casserole

The recipe as-is works, but I find if I don't rest the batter for a few hours the berries are more prone to sinking. (Which makes it perfect for throwing together the night before and then baking the next day.)

I also leave out the sugar from the casserole itself since there's so much in the crumb topping. The crumb topping is delicious, but sometimes too sweet for me and I leave it off too and just sprinkle a cinnamon sugar mix on top instead.

This is one of the few places I don't substitute my sourdough discard in: I did it once and the texture did not work for us, it was too gummy. My discard has a very strong gluten-forming property to it so a more liquid starter may do ok though.

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

I need some help tracking down a recipe. My son thought it came from Salt Flour Water Yeast, but it's not there. As he remembers it, you made the dough in the evening, put it in a Dutch oven with an inch or so of olive oil, let it rise overnight, then baked it in the oven. The bread crisped in the olive oil as it baked. Does this ring a bell for anybody? No, he's pretty sure it wasn't a focaccia.

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

An inch? That is a lot of olive oil...

Cheddar ranch biscuits:

Murgos
Oct 21, 2010

Arsenic Lupin posted:

I need some help tracking down a recipe. My son thought it came from Salt Flour Water Yeast, but it's not there. As he remembers it, you made the dough in the evening, put it in a Dutch oven with an inch or so of olive oil, let it rise overnight, then baked it in the oven. The bread crisped in the olive oil as it baked. Does this ring a bell for anybody? No, he's pretty sure it wasn't a focaccia.

Putting the cold Dutch oven with the dough in it into a cold oven is a Cooks Illustrated technique I think? Or at least popularized by them? It’s listed as a Kenji recipe from his time there so predates other references I can easily see on the inter webs.

However, the 1” of olive oil is new to me. Kenji does say to spray the dough with oil.

Edit: I assume kenji borrowed the technique from elsewhere but my point is that it wouldn’t be a widely known method in the early 2000s.

Murgos fucked around with this message at 16:08 on Dec 17, 2022

Sir Sidney Poitier
Aug 14, 2006

My favourite actor

I feel this loaf turned out better. It's still cooling so I don't yet know how the inside looks. This was a kneaded one, with more attention paid to the proofing temperature - I set it on top of my comms cabinet since it's 24C there.

I also started keeping a bread ledger where I write down what I did and what the results were, so I learn from my mistakes better.

Mr. Squishy
Mar 22, 2010

A country where you can always get richer.
That's a handsome loaf.

Mauser
Dec 16, 2003

How did I even get here, son?!

SmokingFrog0641 posted:

First attempt at demi-baguettes. First time posting the thread. I think next time I’m going to try doing a longer fermentation period. This time I did the poolish/sponge for 14 hours then after mixing did 45 minutes between folds when following a recipe. I also really need to learn how to do the folds better so I close the seam on the ends. Also, maybe I should have baked longer than 25 min at 450?

I’ve baked for a while off and on but mainly stuck with challah or no kneads. I got some rye flours earlier in the year and enjoyed learning some rye recipes like Boston Brown Bread and Rieska. I think though I’d like to hone my skills some on baguettes and use them for some of my lunches each week.

When I do baguettes I use a large pizza stone on the top shelf and bake the loaves at 500° for 15 minutes with a cast iron full of boiling water on the bottom shelf and 15 more minutes without the water.

For shaping, you get a slightly wider piece of dough and pinch the closer side, pull, and stretch it around to the other side, spin it around and do the pinch and stretch thing one more time down the length and this should have elongated the loaf a bit. You can get it to the final length you want by rolling it with your hands on the table gently.

I've done mine as no knead as well to cut down on the effort required.

Dacap
Jul 8, 2008

I've been involved in a number of cults, both as a leader and a follower.

You have more fun as a follower. But you make more money as a leader.

Tried out the King Arthur burger buns

effika
Jun 19, 2005

Dacap posted:

The last time I made that recipe the buns far outclassed the mediocre veggie burgers I made them for. I hope your burgers taste as good as those buns look.

therattle
Jul 24, 2007
Soiled Meat

Dacap posted:

Those look bloody amazing.

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

Dacap posted:

Very nice.

Dacap
Jul 8, 2008

They were very good but I think I'd cut the sugar in half next time, a little too dessert brioche-y

null_pointer
Nov 9, 2004

Center in, pull back. Stop. Track 45 right. Stop. Center and stop.

Anybody got a good rye bread recipe? Bread Illustrated's looks serviceable, but I've learned to be suspicious of them. As an example, in their recipe, they say "you need to do an autolyse" ... but they've already had you add the yeast and salt

:staredog:

Rocko Bonaparte
Mar 12, 2002

Every day is Friday!

Dacap posted:

They were very good but I think I'd cut the sugar in half next time, a little too dessert brioche-y

yeah I just looked, and they were calling for a quarter cup in there. That's pretty wild.

Gwaihir
Dec 8, 2009
Hair Elf

null_pointer posted:

Anybody got a good rye bread recipe? Bread Illustrated's looks serviceable, but I've learned to be suspicious of them. As an example, in their recipe, they say "you need to do an autolyse" ... but they've already had you add the yeast and salt

I've greatly enjoyed this one: https://www.kingarthurbaking.com/recipes/sandwich-rye-bread-recipe
absolutely superb flavor in it thanks to the pickle brine.

Rocko Bonaparte
Mar 12, 2002

Every day is Friday!

null_pointer posted:

I have an extremely left-brained one with painful levels or rigor and detail if you're the kind of poseur (like me) who likes to use cheap tricks in rye like coffee and cocoa powder. You will note that I didn't just casually post this because it's a bunch of Markdown tables and indented substeps that I'd have to figure out how to migrate.

Edit: Coincidentally, I tend to bake it around this time of year as a holiday black bread.

Edit Edit: Haha I can export my notes!. No guarantees this link will stay valid.

Rocko Bonaparte fucked around with this message at 07:39 on Dec 19, 2022

Dacap
Jul 8, 2008

Rocko Bonaparte posted:

yeah I just looked, and they were calling for a quarter cup in there. That's pretty wild.

The breakfast sandwich I made with them kicked rear end tho

Rocko Bonaparte
Mar 12, 2002

Every day is Friday!
Oh I am sure, but if you're going for a sweet enriched dough for breakfast, just slap stuff between two Liege waffles and not be hungry again for 24 hours.

Edit: Ok ok the picture is nice, although I want to push that top bun half down muahahaha.

Dacap
Jul 8, 2008

Rocko Bonaparte posted:

Edit: Ok ok the picture is nice, although I want to push that top bun half down muahahaha.

Didn’t want to break the yolk until it was going in my mouth

Catastrophe
Oct 5, 2007

Committed to burn twice as long and half as bright
I just made a simple rosemary loaf.

SmokingFrog0641
Oct 29, 2011

Mauser posted:

When I do baguettes I use a large pizza stone on the top shelf and bake the loaves at 500° for 15 minutes with a cast iron full of boiling water on the bottom shelf and 15 more minutes without the water.

For shaping, you get a slightly wider piece of dough and pinch the closer side, pull, and stretch it around to the other side, spin it around and do the pinch and stretch thing one more time down the length and this should have elongated the loaf a bit. You can get it to the final length you want by rolling it with your hands on the table gently.

I've done mine as no knead as well to cut down on the effort required.

Thanks for the response and ideas! I saw your post after I made my second attempt. I did a longer fermentation after combining the flour and poolish this time. For some reason, I didn’t get as good a mix in my poolish so I had some unhydrated parts that I had to cut from the dough later. The main kneading was via the mixing machine to incorporate salt and flour into the poolish. I baked longer this time (26 total at 450), and that helped with the color. I also cut the dough into 8 pieces instead 6 since I was taking them for lunches. I think though if I was doing full size baguettes that I could maybe do the longer bake at 500 like you suggested. When you described doing steam 15 minutes and then 15 without, are you adding water if all of it steams off before the 15 or removing the pan at 15 if it still has water? I’ve just been putting 1.5 cups of boiling water at the start of the bake into a cast iron and closing the oven the whole bake. Anyways, this is how they turned out:

Obviously, shaping is an ongoing project that’s going to take a while, particularly since they are small. Sort of look like yams shape wise. Someone else had mentioned running your knife through oil when scoring in a post for someone else, which helped some. I think I may need more water in the dough also to help the dough seal and stick together when I do the folds, otherwise the seams remain, causing things like the blowout on one of them.

Dacap
Jul 8, 2008

Starting my Xmas baking with the first batch of the Claire Saffitz sour cream & chive rolls

SmokingFrog0641
Oct 29, 2011
Those rolls look great. Are they from one of her videos or in something like The Dessert Person book?

Rosemary loaf looks really nice, also. My new rosemary plant didn’t survive the drought and heat this year, but it’s nice to bake with when I have the chance.

effika
Jun 19, 2005

SmokingFrog0641 posted:

Those rolls look great. Are they from one of her videos or in something like The Dessert Person book?

Rosemary loaf looks really nice, also. My new rosemary plant didn’t survive the drought and heat this year, but it’s nice to bake with when I have the chance.

Read, bake, feast.

https://www.bonappetit.com/recipe/pull-apart-sour-cream-and-chive-rolls

Dacap
Jul 8, 2008

That’s the one, but I scaled it to 55% to fit an 8x8 pan

Mauser
Dec 16, 2003

How did I even get here, son?!

SmokingFrog0641 posted:

Thanks for the response and ideas! I saw your post after I made my second attempt. I did a longer fermentation after combining the flour and poolish this time. For some reason, I didn’t get as good a mix in my poolish so I had some unhydrated parts that I had to cut from the dough later. The main kneading was via the mixing machine to incorporate salt and flour into the poolish. I baked longer this time (26 total at 450), and that helped with the color. I also cut the dough into 8 pieces instead 6 since I was taking them for lunches. I think though if I was doing full size baguettes that I could maybe do the longer bake at 500 like you suggested. When you described doing steam 15 minutes and then 15 without, are you adding water if all of it steams off before the 15 or removing the pan at 15 if it still has water? I’ve just been putting 1.5 cups of boiling water at the start of the bake into a cast iron and closing the oven the whole bake. Anyways, this is how they turned out:

Obviously, shaping is an ongoing project that’s going to take a while, particularly since they are small. Sort of look like yams shape wise. Someone else had mentioned running your knife through oil when scoring in a post for someone else, which helped some. I think I may need more water in the dough also to help the dough seal and stick together when I do the folds, otherwise the seams remain, causing things like the blowout on one of them.

Get yourself a lame (you can find one for very cheap with razor blade and plastic handle) and that'll control the depth of cuts and avoid issues with a less sharp knife getting stuck.

Otherwise, baguettes are higher hydration. Mine are 75% and use all purpose flour to get them to be more airy, if you're not already.

I just fill up a medium skillet with boiling water and remove it after the first 15 of baking to keep the crust from drying out too quickly.

Lastly, the higher temp, 500°, and the pizza stone are both really important to get the crust really crusty and the heat directed to your dough. Your picture looks like they're not getting enough rise in the oven from either the crust drying out, using higher protein flour, not enough water in the dough, or maybe overproofing prior to going in the oven. Others in the thread might be able to better diagnose.

edit:

here's the ones I made a bit ago and previously shared in this thread using the method I was describing:

Mauser fucked around with this message at 16:46 on Dec 21, 2022

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SmokingFrog0641
Oct 29, 2011
Those look excellent! I am just using the unbleached all purpose flour. I have just been using imperial measurements in the King Arthur recipes as opposed to grams measurement, so I don’t know the exact hydration ratio. That could be a big part of the issue.

Also, I had the cast iron in the oven already pre heated and then added the boiling water to it, creating a lot of steam. That could also speed up the outside cooking too fast.

We have a pizza stone but it’s some what small and circular. I think if it was making a full 15” loaf it wouldn’t fit on it at all. It’s something I’ll have to invest in in the future.

Mainly, I had started work in these so I could have some small loaves to take to work for lunch each day to have with cheese.

Also, thanks for the link to the rolls recipe! I’ll have to try it out soon.

Edit: typo

SmokingFrog0641 fucked around with this message at 18:28 on Dec 21, 2022