Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

colonelwest
Jun 30, 2018

TheAgent posted:

God you know this year has been poo poo for Star Citizen when streamers are making videos about me to have any content to discuss, at all

Lol

Lol at anyone taking us clowns on this dead forum seriously.

Bored Gamer: You have nothing to worry about. The SC echo chambers on Reddit and Spectrum will continue to police themselves and the whales will continue throwing money at CIG forever no matter what we say here. Just relax and come post with us. Tell us how PES is going to change the world of video games forever.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
They need to release a phone version of the game now, that's where all the real whales are

Only Kindness
Oct 12, 2016

precision posted:

They need to release a phone version of the game now, that's where all the real whales are

Visa and MasterCard are both on the app store, there's yer phone game as far as CInG are concerned.

Also: only 8.5K moneys, pissycat? Guess you're not a real fan after all.

Shazback
Jan 26, 2013
Pisscat is a content locust.

8.5k? That's less than one pence per thousand words of dreams.txt he has had fun writing!

Thoatse
Feb 29, 2016

Lol said the scorpion, lmao
https://thumbs.gfycat.com/FrightenedCarefulHyrax-mobile.mp4

Only Kindness
Oct 12, 2016
Speaking of people who have wasted their lives, what's Lethality up to?

Sardonik
Jul 1, 2005

if you like my dumb posts, you'll love my dumb youtube channel

Only Kindness posted:

probably still tweeting weirdly with single digit engagement

Thoatse
Feb 29, 2016

Only Kindness posted:

I believe last seen begging for middle management jobs on twitter after being dropped from his former job whatever that might have really been

Lammasu
May 8, 2019

lawful Good Monster

Thoatse posted:

I believe last seen begging for middle management jobs on twitter after being dropped from his former job whatever that might have really been
At least I know what he does for a living now. NOTHING!

Dementropy
Aug 23, 2010

Thoatse posted:

Maybe Lazarin has some leads, unless they're still looking down on McDonald's workers.

Kosumo
Apr 9, 2016

Dementropy posted:

Maybe Lazarin has some leads, unless they're still looking down on McDonald's workers.

In the verse it's called "McRoberts"

Trilobite
Aug 15, 2001

Kosumo posted:

In the verse it's called "McRoberts"

And they only serve hot dogs, pizza, and ice cream, which are the most futuristic (and culturally British, for tax credit purposes!) foods ever invented.

Visit one now, at the nearest anodyne space strip mall to you. You can also get a coffee to 60 nearby, if you're thirsty, or if you just want to enjoy some quality motion-captured animations!

Thoatse
Feb 29, 2016

Do they still not have coffee at coffee to 60?

Kosumo
Apr 9, 2016

Thoatse posted:

Do they still not have coffee at coffee to 60?

I believe that the Bar Tender AI is so advance that it has sabotaged coffee supply routes in the Verse to attract more business to the bars.

It was totally sold to backers as game changing AI - and now look what it's done.

The Titanic
Sep 15, 2016

Unsinkable

:lol:

:laffo:

I mean...

Yeah. That's totally what it is.

They're going to announce sq404 coming out. Better buy now!

The Titanic
Sep 15, 2016

Unsinkable

Scruffpuff posted:

I have a ray-tracing story (doesn't everyone?) that, in a roundabout way, is a Star Citizen cautionary tale (isn't everything?)

Back in college, I had taken a computer graphics course, and the final submission for the semester was a ray-traced scene of our choosing, and it had to include certain graphical elements that indicated what we had learned in class. Reflections, light through fog, that kind of thing.

Now this was back when the Amiga was brand new, and those were the systems we were expected to do the work on. This was not in the day of frames per second, or even seconds per frame. This was in the day of "let's leave this single wireframe scene rendering overnight and tomorrow we'll look at the first half of the picture and see if we need to abort, or if it looks like it will come out as expected."

Which is not the ideal condition for a guy who didn't do any of the work until the day it was due. Panic ensued, because no matter how much work I put in, I was up against the hard reality of how long this scene would take to render a final product, even if I had constructed it perfectly, which I had not. I was done for!

But was I? In my panicked haze a realization struck me - we weren't being graded on the work, we were being graded on the final product - which was a single scene of our own choosing. There was no way to know, after the fact, how that scene was constructed.

I set to work. Light streaming through a window? That's a 95% transparent cone with yellow lighting, placed by hand in a way that looked right to the eye. Reflections? That's what a horizontal or vertical flip is for, with a bit of distortion for good measure. Water reflection? Just smear it like Bob Ross did with his wet-on-wet approach to painting (thankfully I watched a lot of that as a kid.)

So my "fake" work earned an A. The moral of the story? In the real world, when you're trying to sell a product, you're judged on your output, not on the work you put in, or how you did the work. CIG's entire business model is based on being fellated for their bumbling attempts, when in a just world they would be castigated for their endless failure.

This is actually quite funny because I did something very similar. I had to use certain elements and certain functions, and doing it in 3D Studio (not Max... that was still not in the scene yet!), was a hassle. So I used Photoshop and 2D editing to finish the scene.

The Titanic
Sep 15, 2016

Unsinkable

4th Stimpire Queen posted:

I dunno, I feel like $8.5K is rookie numbers.

Piss cat missed years of development, so he's probably not aware that people played through all of sq404 like 8 years ago, and I think Ben said it was definitely as good as wing commander and everyone would be happy with it.

There was literal video trailers with dates that came and went, webpages with "answer the call" where the years just bumped up every time it was passed.

I'm glad he's excited that "People are playing it".

I'm sure it's "weeks, not months" or years, away. (Fyi this is what they told people in like 2014) :3:

The Titanic
Sep 15, 2016

Unsinkable
Here's sq 404:

https://youtu.be/W_QDv7DFfxk

Coming out 10/10/12.

Another:

https://youtu.be/GvLYGHIwAM8

Coming out sometime in 2016.

There's more but they stopped giving dates.

Anyhow.. I'm sure sq404 is totally ready to release now. I believe it so hard! <3

The Titanic
Sep 15, 2016

Unsinkable

Lammasu posted:

At least I know what he does for a living now. NOTHING!

This actually makes him qualified to work at cig at any position or capacity, including the ceo.

Scruffpuff
Dec 23, 2015

Fidelity. Wait, was I'm working on again?

The Titanic posted:

This actually makes him qualified to work at cig at any position or capacity, including the ceo.

Especially the CEO.

pun pundit
Nov 11, 2008

I feel the same way about the company bearing the same name.

Squadron 42 was obviously always planned to come out in 2042; it's in the name! Goons are equally obviously trying to sabotage the project by calling it squadron 404. That'll make it come out in 2404!

Bushboy2000
Jul 19, 2022
Mark Hamill spilled the beans SQ54, so 2054.

4th Stimpire Queen
May 4, 2022

Contemplate with nice thoughts and utterances.
Secret cabal tries to scare backers with a "three pronged (pitch fork!) disinformation approach!'

But PEScat comes to the rescue with an "an unbiased accurate reflection of the project".

quote:

This project is large and complex, it takes a lot of study to follow what it is they are doing and plan to do so it's not hard to understand that some don't fully grasp it all. We can see that there are gaps in understanding from the questions they ask or the features they keep requesting.

Asking for PvE servers is a case in point, such servers would have to be run offline from the point of view of the backend services that not only supply information to all DGS's through the Replication Layer but more importantly take information from activity on the DGS's in a shard. They would have to run completely separate backend services for PvE servers... this is neither cost effective nor necessary because the scary version of PvP that some of the community have dreamed up just won't happen. It is a version drummed up by those who want to spread Fear, Uncertainty and Doubt (FUD) about the project. You may insist that you haven't been influenced by this FUD spreading campaign but there isn't a credible argument for the existence of this future PvP hell-scape to come, such logic only stands in the absence of a realistic view of what the game is to be eventually.

We see people comparing Star Citizen to other games (not even taking into account that the current builds are nothing like what is intended in the future) and they make that argument to reinforce their case, it's a three pronged (pitch fork!) disinformation approach:

CI (specifically Chris Roberts) bad, can't manage a game production project' and 'they aren't a good employer' and 'Game bad you won't like it because CI can't anticipate the bad things that will happen to players in it', none of which is an unbiased accurate reflection of the project.

For example those who tried to compare SC to Eve Online for a while - would it surprise anyone to know that one of the biggest group of trolls to join the group of Cloud Imperium detractors in the last few years are, or were, active members in a large troll group in Eve Online? They live to grief and spread FUD, it's how they get their jollies.

You won't need PvE servers, those who insist you should have them are misinformed or they are deliberately trying to spread FUD.

4th Stimpire Queen fucked around with this message at 06:27 on Dec 11, 2022

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

This will make sure you don't suggest to the KDz
That he should grow greens instead of crushing on MCs

Grimey Drawer
The disinformation is coming from... within CIG!

Kosumo
Apr 9, 2016

The Absolvemyselformation is coming from .... A Sexy Bear :iiasb:

FishMcCool
Apr 9, 2021

lolcats are still funny
Fallen Rib

4th Stimpire Queen posted:

Secret cabal tries to scare backers with a "three pronged (pitch fork!) disinformation approach!'

But PEScat comes to the rescue with an "an unbiased accurate reflection of the project".

Monocat is absolutely right and CIG should never implement PvE servers. Open PvP has long been proven to be perfectly reasonable and to bring out only the best from its gaming communities, and I see no reason why anyone would ever be griefed.

Kosumo
Apr 9, 2016

There is no way anyone could grief people in Star Citizen because the jail/justice gameplay is so perfect that you would never want to be sent to jail, and if you where, it's totally because you deserve it ...... And now it will be on your record permanently and stop you from ever have any fun in Chris Roberts Star Citizen.......

Hope you like the Grim Hex bar tenders t-pose you criminal scum.

free hubcaps
Oct 12, 2009

Virtual Captain posted:

https://twitter.com/SandiRoberts42/status/1601261189656285184

They're pre-filming CitizenCon2023 a year early? looooool

edit: Sandi just confirmed in Twitter DMs :trustme:

Lmao at that studio

Star citizen is almost literally an evangelical megachurch that sells digital spaceship models instead of salvation

The rapture is just around the corner, we promise!

Fidelitious
Apr 17, 2018

MY BIRTH CRY WILL BE THE SOUND OF EVERY WALLET ON THIS PLANET OPENING IN UNISON.

A cat posted:

Ironic eh? People are begging for information regarding Squadron 42 and you want them to shut up about it.

Here's the thing that makes me happy to hear - "we're playing it". They keep saying that this year "we're playing it". Nearly every team member who appears on camera is saying, "We're playing it".

Why do some people forget that the reason people go into the game making industry is because they are passionate about games, all games. They have played more games, know more about games that any 100 of us put together. I've met many of the team and this is the point that stands out, they have forgotten more about games than any one of us will ever know. If they are excited for a game, if they are playing it and it makes them believe enough to keep working on it rather than shove it out the door half assed then it's very very likely the rest of us are going to be blown away by it.

We never asked for the quickest, we never asked for the cheapest, we never asked for the easiest - we wanted, we supported and paid for, we have waited patiently for the best drat space game ever. I do not want them to rush it because of an impatient noisy few.

This is, and always has been the community's game project and not a single time that I have spoken to dev team members have they ever failed to appreciate that. They have gone far above what we asked them, they aren't just making a game to play a few times and forget they are making a whole game universe to tell endless amounts of stories in for years to come, a universe that will inspire other storytellers to come and join in. The detractors joke that our grandkids will be playing this game - YES EXACTLY - we have together made something that will last!

The best takes time and dedication from us as well as the development team members, the fact that we are seeing them using both in spades is a good indicator of how it is going, not a bad one.

I'm as impatient as any, and with over $8.5K given in support I think I'd have a right to be more impatient than the average BUT I NEVER WANTED A GAME JUST FOR ME, I could have gotten that for just $60.
I wanted the best drat game that could be made - FOR EVERYONE!

What a ridiculous thing to say. I work in the video games industry, adjacent to actual game developers. Some of them are big videogame fans yes, of course. A very comparable number play zero games at all, some more play games but not our own.
A game developer will know a lot about the thing that they work on on how it relates to videogames, they're not by default videogame lore gurus.

colonelwest
Jun 30, 2018

pun pundit posted:

Squadron 42 was obviously always planned to come out in 2042; it's in the name! Goons are equally obviously trying to sabotage the project by calling it squadron 404. That'll make it come out in 2404!

*game still isn’t out in 2042

Citizens: We’ll that’s 2042 on the Gregorian Calendar, CIG has invented its own ground breaking time keeping system to keep track of 24/7 global development. So the planed release date is really 2053 when converted to the normal calendar. This is all very good and exciting and you definitely should still mail cash directly to Chris’s retirement home in the Cayman Islands.

colonelwest fucked around with this message at 23:03 on Dec 11, 2022

Trilobite
Aug 15, 2001

colonelwest posted:

*game still isn’t out in 2042

Citizens: We’ll that’s 2042 on the Gregorian Calendar, CIG has invented its own ground breaking time keeping system to keep track of 24/7 global development. So the planed release date is really 2053 when converted to the normal calendar. This is all very good and exciting and you definitely should still mail cash directly to Chris’s retirement home in the Cayman Islands.

TonyZ ascended to the quanta years ago, but without more funding, we cannot develop the megaserver interpolation technology required to turboencabulate Chris Robert's visionary genius alongside him and get the development pipelines to really open up, so pledge an Idris today!

4th Stimpire Queen
May 4, 2022

PEScat spoils SQ42's story. :(

quote:

Chase play and engine signature tracking has always been a part of the plan - it forms the foundation of bounty hunting - so why should it be like dropping a hydrogen bomb? These are the usual FUD spreading tactics to try and scare the less than well informed. We already know Squadron 42 E1 is about tracking a group of Vanduul raiders from system to system, and that the Advocacy has called in the navy to deal with a mercenary group attacking a lawful mining operation and engaging in slavery. So either the OP is woefully uninformed or he has a deliberate agenda to push.
[...]
The one thing lawless players get that lawful players don't is an ever increasing bounty on their head, they are going to spend a disproportionate amount of their time running and hiding sourcing ways to mask engine signatures and get fake ID's etc. There won't be a way of running from your reputation even if you have served your time. The lawless players will be locked out of areas and activities, they will find it harder to source consumables, and those they can find will cost more on average. It will take more time and energy to source required materials, time will be spent on the run, time will be spent in incarceration - all of these time sinks minimise the time spent harassing the innocent miners and traders.

The current 'happy time' for the pirate won't last when you can serve a short sentence in a rehab facility, or use some easily available chip to wipe away your criminal history. When reputation is persistent it means that certain establishments and facilities will be closed to you permanently. Those security gates you stroll though become active. Face ID scanning is coming to the game.

Why is it that pirates imagine a game universe where they are the only wolf among the sheep, there are the bounty hunters, the local security forces, the Advocacy and the UEEN, not to mention those lawful players who will be more than happy to fight back - the pirates are very definitely outnumbered. Why do you think it is that in most developed countries after many hundreds of thousands of years of being prey, humans have all but eradicated those animals that hunt humans?

"Don't judge it by what it is now"

quote:

That is with the current AI and small group servers. There is no real player org play that isn't sandbox messing around for a Youtube channel, but there will be.

Don't judge it by what it is now, there are too many mechanics missing as yet. The reason everyone is laughing at the current AI is because it is merely placeholder, bog-standard CryEngine scripted, the most complex part of this game is going to be the AI - far harder than server meshing or persistence to implement.

As I said there will be multiple points where pirates are vulnerable, and their lifestyle in the verse will get a serious crimp that it doesn't as yet.

Generally lawless players are one-dimensional thinkers, that works in the current game, it won't work in the future. How many times do you go wipe your crimestats as a get out of jail free card? If you served your time in KRF you expect to go back to 'normal life' play, that won't be the case in the future - have you heard of Quarterdeck prison planet?

Kosumo
Apr 9, 2016

Face over I Pee cat is funny.

"Don't judge it by what it is now, there are too many mechanics missing as yet. The reason everyone is laughing at the current AI is because it is merely placeholder, bog-standard CryEngine Street Fighter Engine AI, the most complex part of this game is going to be the AI" - said about the solo fighting AI in Street Fighter 6*

*made with Capcon's money.

Kind of time we move past his totally clown opinions?

BumbleOne
Jul 1, 2018

by Fluffdaddy
what if monocle cats posts are in fact written by gpt3, no human has that much time.

Kosumo
Apr 9, 2016

gpt3 would have changed its mind about Chris Roberts by now.

4th Stimpire Queen
May 4, 2022

Juicy bits from:

https://www.asiaone.com/digital/scepticism-around-project-100-star-citizen-developers-know-whats-been-said-bad-publicity-fraud-chris-roberts

I had to cut quite a bit of stuff but the whole thing is interesting as it's basically VIPs at CIG dialing the bullshit to eleven and using the same excuses backers post every day.
Let's start!

Not a scam, /gaming loves SC, spite pledging confirmed, we don't answer negative stuff, we simply censor all dissent!

quote:

As the senior vice-president of marketing, Chin (along with director of community Tyler Witken) is always tuned into community sentiments and claimed that it "has never ever been higher".

"Four years ago, people were saying, 'Oh, this game is a scam. I can't believe it.' Or how can we still be taking money from people? Now when it hits r/gaming on Reddit, people are saying like, 'Oh, that's Star Citizen. That looks amazing. I want to go check it out,'" Chin added.

He also observed this spike happens "anytime there's something negative about us" and people actually go on to recommend the game to their friends.

"There's the saying that no publicity is bad publicity, but even our bad publicity is good for us."

Preferring to let the game "speak for us", Chin said they don't ever respond to negative comments on forums or negative reports in the media.

Erin with dreams.txt

quote:

"Look at the game," said Erin Roberts, the 52-year-old chief development officer. "We're doing something no one else is doing. If you're going to go and talk to ex-employees who are disgruntled then you're going to sometimes have that happen."

We have a nice demo, thus progress has really accelerated since 2013.
Also new excuse, spotty wi-fi is why SC won't work.

quote:

Gesturing to a projection of a demo of the game which showed the player character in a space city surrounded by buildings with, quite frankly, gorgeous snow particle effects, Chin added: "We let people look at this, like this screen right here of Microtech and the snow that's going on.

"So that did not exist when that article was written. And you look at it, and it's every bit as good and beautiful as any other game you can get right now... Progress has really accelerated since 2013."

In case anyone was curious, the game had some issues booting up but to be fair, that was due to a spotty Wi-Fi connection than a bug or a technical glitch.

"staggering transparency" says Zyloh.

quote:

Back in February, the company announced that they were making changes to their product roadmap as "passionate players" took features that were added as a "promise" and getting upset when it was delayed.
[...]
Witkin, 32, denied that the change was about having "any less transparency" and said the amount of transparency they have is "staggering".

"There's no other game out there where you can say, 'Who's your favourite QA tester?'... Our community knows... We take that level of transparency and we apply that to our roadmap as well."

:iiasb: explains where the money goes. :homebrew:

quote:

"We're running a staff of 1000 people so that kind of explains where the money goes," Roberts immediately responded, adding that all the money they got is "spent completely back on the game and developing the game".
[...]
Roberts also said that they publish their financials every year for the sake of transparency.

Dissing refundians.

quote:

"After that timeframe, people stopped asking as much... I think what you're you're seeing is there's a refund subreddit, where people complain about things, and they're very much the same old folks that were there from 10 years ago."

In fact, Chin claimed that there have been instances where they review the accounts of players who requested for a refund only to find out that they've sunk about 1,000 to 2,000 hours in the game.

SC = World of Warcraft.
:iiasb: laments they can't hit beta cause the game is too huge and tech has to be built.
Server meshing end of 2023, maybe!

quote:

Chin also likened the development costs to Blizzard's World of Warcraft and how it would be a "phenomenal" figure too if one were to look at the same period of 10 years.

However, we pointed out that Blizzard has released games over the last 10 years and not just World of Warcraft expansions.

Roberts replied that they're trying to get the game to beta but "it's just that huge" and they're still "building tech right now". There are just a few ducks to get in the row before they're ready to go into beta.

"We can say that we are looking to get server meshing in by the end of next year," he shared.

Never done before! Tech boundaries! Complex new systems!

quote:

Throughout the interview, it was brought up several times that they're pushing the technological boundaries for this game and how it takes time to build "complex new systems that have never been built before".
[...]
And, he added, a lot of these controversies go as far back as five years ago "so none of that happens anymore".

We totally slowed down with concept ships, we now only sell small ships which is basically the only thing we're capable of doing nowadays.
They're also totally not delivering concepts they sold in the past but who is checking anyway, not this article for sure.

quote:

That said, Chin admitted that they're still selling concept ships — something that has caused the game to run afoul of UK's Advertising Standard Authority.
[...]
Chin explained: "We slowed them down immensely... We probably only do three or four [a year]; we offer concept ships at our biggest annual sales events."

The focus now is on smaller ships that are quicker to deliver, with one being released four months after its sale, more "straight to flyable [ships]" and on "delivering the concept ships that we have sold in the past".

4th Stimpire Queen fucked around with this message at 07:51 on Dec 12, 2022

Shazback
Jan 26, 2013
The end of that article is just :kiss:

quote:

Star Citizen isn't pretending to be something it's not, with disclaimers in place to inform gamers that the game is an alpha build and in development.

A bit rich to say that in the article where you compare Star Citizen with World of Warcraft (released 2004) and Breath of the Wild (released 2017), and have spent most of the interview promising that the "Jesus tech" required to make those dreams come true is just around the corner, 6 months tops!

quote:

Chin concluded: "What I would tell people is only play us if you're ready to play us. We're not asking everyone to come and check us out now, which is why we do a lot of Free Flies (a limited-time event where people can play the game for free).

Yees... They don't want everyone to check out Star Citizen, as evidenced by the fact that the first quote from a CIG employee in the article is about how community sentiment is great!

Not touching on the obvious paradox of only playing of you're ready to play... But why do free flies in this case? If there's no objective of reaching more players, why not let people discover at their own pace and schedule? How are free flies the best way to implement this principle?

quote:

"What we want to tell people is, hey, we're a very ambitious game. We're early access alpha, check this out. If you like what you see, because there's so much content here, then you should play.

"Because there's so much content" - citation needed

And yes, perfectly normal to be in early access alpha after ten years on a Cryengine mod. After all, there are so many groundbreaking games being made with it that it's benefiting from constant attention from third parties with great plugins and it's easy to hire excellent developers!

quote:

"And if you don't, then I think you should stay away. We very much want people to wait until beta if that's what they're comfortable with."

* Beta release not guaranteed.

Dwesa
Jul 19, 2016

Maybe I'll go where I can see stars
Whaling operation in Asia must be a success if clowns from CIG are giving an interview to some Singaporean website. Their apologia read like Trump's statements if he developed a game.

Bushboy2000
Jul 19, 2022
Omg, 1,000 staff 🤣

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bushboy2000
Jul 19, 2022

Dwesa posted:

Whaling operation in Asia must be a success if clowns from CIG are giving an interview to some Singaporean website. Their apologia read like Trump's statements if he developed a game.

Yeah, big pivot to the East, got to find more newbs.