Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Regalingualius
Jan 7, 2012

We gazed into the eyes of madness... And all we found was horny.

Feels Villeneuve posted:

That contradiction in 3-3 I think is the single hardest contradiction in the game that I consider "fair game". That's a tough one.

Which one? ”Oh it turns out that Furio actually went to the trouble of reenacting Glen’s death in a way that left a witness”, or tricking him into admitting the presented vial isn’t the poison?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mycot
Oct 23, 2014

"It's okay. There are other Terminators! Just give us this one!"
Hell Gem
The only thing I know about Investigations 1 is that it apparently has the Worst Final Boss in Ace Attorney.

Hellioning
Jun 27, 2008

It does! There is an intermission in the middle of his testimony because it is just that long.

Regalingualius
Jan 7, 2012

mycot posted:

The only thing I know about Investigations 1 is that it apparently has the Worst Final Boss in Ace Attorney.

You would be completely correct; winning that case is just an excessively long chain of “we have you now!”, then “ah-ah, but you haven’t explained this little thing that completely absolves me because I say it does!”

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.

Regalingualius posted:

Which one? ”Oh it turns out that Furio actually went to the trouble of reenacting Glen’s death in a way that left a witness”, or tricking him into admitting the presented vial isn’t the poison?

the coffee stain being on the wrong side of the cup

Meowywitch
Jan 14, 2010

Fight for all that is beautiful in the world

It has been a very very long time since I've played Rise From the Ashes, but I remember Angel Starr's testimonies about everything that she saw in the parking garage to be like, by far the hardest testimonies in the series even to date

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

Never did actually play that. I heard it was a later addition and sucked and the Von Karma case was just the perfect ending to the game so why bother.

Nanomashoes
Aug 18, 2012

It doesn’t suck but it is a weird addition in terms of pacing.

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

It's a really good case (I like Ema a lot) with one or two minor hangups, imo

Pungry
Feb 26, 2011

JUST PICK ONE. ANY ONE.
Whoever told you that about case 1-5 is dead wrong. It's a standalone case that's incredibly good. Highly recommend you go back at some point to play it.

Motto
Aug 3, 2013

It's really long but that's because it's meant to be close to a whole game's worth of content since it was the main value add to a DS port of a GBA game. It's also a minor bridge to Apollo Justice since a few characters reappear alongside the forensics.

mycot
Oct 23, 2014

"It's okay. There are other Terminators! Just give us this one!"
Hell Gem
I remember 1-5 being insanely long (and it makes some parts of 2 kinda strange) but it's good and definitely canon since Ema shows up later. You'll love the villain of the case if you like Manfred.

hatty
Feb 28, 2011

Pork Pro
1-5 had the damned vase thing that kept me stuck for way too long. Other than that it’s a great case

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

The vase and the video contradiction where you have to point out the locker light being on are both incredibly mean, but that case rules

Blue Labrador
Feb 17, 2011

I don't remember exactly what the contradictions were, but there was a series of testimonies in close succession near the very end of GAA2-3 that tripped me up hella, and I think that's the hardest stretch of Ace Attorney that I specifically remember.

Regalingualius
Jan 7, 2012

Yeah, I remember figuring out what was wrong (the bloodstain’s shape) right away, but not why it was wrong until just as it was getting spelled out in the final stretch

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

NikkolasKing posted:

Never did actually play that. I heard it was a later addition and sucked and the Von Karma case was just the perfect ending to the game so why bother.

Woah woah woah you hosed up bigtime go back

Meowywitch
Jan 14, 2010

yeah uh you need to go back and play Rise from the Ashes. It's loving excellent.

Zat
Jan 16, 2008

Most definitely please play case 5 of AA1 before you play Apollo Justice and beyond.

Absolutely wild to hear that anyone ever recommended skipping it.

Zat fucked around with this message at 23:34 on Dec 9, 2022

man nurse
Feb 18, 2014

Where’s the GOD drat 4-6 collection

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

1-5 also has the fun detail of having several references to Trials and Tribulations due to being written after that game.

somepartsareme
Mar 10, 2012

Diggle Hell is a Real
(Swingin') Place
Yeah, if anything I would suggest coming back to it after playing the rest of the original trilogy to experience it in release order, but definitely not skipping it entirely

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

Also in the original Japanese release, if you put a Gyakuten Saiban cartridge in the GBA slot, it would unlock 1-5 immediately

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post
rise from the ashes is my favorite case of the og trilogy

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

Don't you have to beat each case to unlock the next one? Don't really feel like playing through all of AA1 again right now just for the fifth case. Although I guess I could get a completed save of the first game from somewhere.

Interestingly, it looks like the fifth case created all sorts of canon issues with Edgeworth because he specifically left right after the fourth case according to JFA. The HD version had to rewrite lines of dialogue to make it fit.

NikkolasKing fucked around with this message at 05:54 on Dec 10, 2022

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

Once you've played through the game once, the cases remain unlocked and you can just play them.

Tired Moritz
Mar 25, 2012

wish Lowtax would get tired of YOUR POSTS

(n o i c e)
Im pretty sure 1-5 is the blue badger's debut so it's worth playing just for that

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

On the other hand, it also has Mike Meekins, sir.

Podima
Nov 4, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

Waffleman_ posted:

On the other hand, it also has Mike Meekins, sir.

ON THE OTHER HAND, IT ALSO HAS MIKE MEEKINS, SIR!

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

Podima posted:

ON THE OTHER HAND, IT ALSO HAS MIKE MEEKINS, SIR!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I_lIpvRNPtc

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

Waffleman_ posted:

Once you've played through the game once, the cases remain unlocked and you can just play them.

I realize that but I beat the first game like a decade and two computers ago. Definitely don't have that save file anymore. But as I say, I can probably find one somewhere.

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

Finished Trials and Tribulations.

I guess I should start off by saying I clearly don't love it as much as others do.

Perhaps it's the cohesiveness others appreciate in it. It was something the first game also kinda had while Justice for All lacked it. There was a game-long story being built up to with a climax. A long, dragged out climax.

My comment on Dahlia I shared with some others elicited responses of "she's my favorite villain" and "she makes the third game the best." Just don't get it. The entire thing about her is summed up by Mia - Dahlia is a complete and utter loser. She not only epitomizes the online insult of "you fail at life," she goes above and beyond. She fails at death. Got nothing on my boy Manfred or Matt who were consummate success stories until we undid them. The "100% despicable and loathsome" type of villain Dahlia represents has to be intimidating since there is no fascinating personality or backstory behind their evil. A villain is only intimidating if they are successful instead of being thwarted again and again.

Matt meanwhile, while he didn't completely fool me(there are clues, like him reacting to de Killer's name when you first meet him), he did charm me and string me a long for a good while. I genuinely wanted to believe he was innocent. And even when he reveals his true self, he's just awesome in a whole other way. Manfred meanwhile had the whole mystique of being the invincible, perfect Prosecutor. He looked impossibly cool and had the arrogance to match both his record and his design. And then the business with the stun gun - can't tell you how furious I was. I still remember it all these years alter. Never been more satisfied winning a case than I was with him.

The past cases with Mia were neat but I didn't particularly like Masque or Xin Eohp. They didn't stand out to me any more than the middle cases of JFA did. In fact, I really liked the Circus case a lot, definitely more than the third case this time around A big difference between JFA's middle cases and this game's was JFA's cases all took a huge swerve from the silly to the pretty drat serious and depressing. Like, I figured at first Regina was the killer because she has basically no reaction to her dad being murdered. But of course by the end it's revealed the killer was a paralyzed brother seeking revenge for his comatose brother, accidentally killing his beloved father figure in the process. There was none of this in the second and third cases of TT, they were just kinda goofy all the time.

I think the main weakness of JFA is Franziska. She's nowhere near as compelling as Edgeworth and Godot. Also, speaking of questionable characters, the fact TT teased bringing back Wendy Oldbag but then didn't does get a firm nod of appreciation and gratitude from me.

in any event, might start Apollo Justice later today. Not sure yet.

Podima
Nov 4, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
Franziska is by far the weakest prosecutor of the lot, so that's an understandable reaction. (Yes, I even think she's worse than the prosecutor in Spirit of Justice.)

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

Podima posted:

(Yes, I even think she's worse than the prosecutor in Spirit of Justice.)

Nah

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon
Franziska in JFA is pretty weak, but Franziska in T&T is just incredible, by far my favorite of Phoenix' assistants. Could have done without the whipping, but it is extremely precious how half her remarks are basically what Maya would say, while the other half are genuinely sharp and insightful. It's a nice dynamic where you get shenanigans, but she also takes charge when trouble comes up and immediately notices that Godot is obviously lying about his whereabouts on the night of the crime.

The Investigation series had the right idea about what to do with Franziska, but they kind of missed the mark on her character.

E: Also while she's in the bottom half of prosecutors, because exactly half the prosecutors in the series are fuckin incredible, she's miles ahead of the actually garbage prosecutors. Accept it and move on.

Zulily Zoetrope fucked around with this message at 22:48 on Dec 10, 2022

Hellioning
Jun 27, 2008

Franziska is good and I want to see her in the new games, alongside literally everyone else.

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post
im a lesbian so i like Franziska

Meowywitch
Jan 14, 2010

Snooze Cruise posted:

im a lesbian so i like Franziska

ROFL Octopus
Jun 20, 2014

LET ME EXPLAIN

Hellioning posted:

Franziska is good and I want to see her in the new games, alongside literally everyone else.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Meowywitch
Jan 14, 2010

chief of police gumshoe, pal!