Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

anime was right
Jun 27, 2008

death is certain
keep yr cool

purgatory

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

actionjackson
Jan 12, 2003

lol

marble.. kitchen floor?

also that type of light is only good for closets or other spaces where you will never be looking up at it directly. I made the mistake of using one of those in another room before realizing my gently caress up.

Fitzy Fitz
May 14, 2005

same house

Jenny Agutter
Mar 18, 2009

actionjackson posted:

lol

marble.. kitchen floor?

also that type of light is only good for closets or other spaces where you will never be looking up at it directly. I made the mistake of using one of those in another room before realizing my gently caress up.

are you often staring at thte center of the ceiling of your kitchen?

i am harry
Oct 14, 2003

look down there at the trim around the base of the wall at the corner between the stove and the fridge...all that bullshit in there and they couldn't do the simplest things

palindrome
Feb 3, 2020

I'd take it, kitchen looks to have a decent layout. Good sink, hood over the range. Marble floor is questionable bordering on tasteless, but functionally it looks way nicer than any apartment I've lived in. That trim is also a little alarming since it infers they took numerous other shortcuts. Oh well, kitchens don't leak do they?

actionjackson
Jan 12, 2003

Jenny Agutter posted:

are you often staring at thte center of the ceiling of your kitchen?

what i'm referring to is that when you are not in the kitchen, the light source could easily end up in your peripheral vision, depending on how the home is laid out

those lights tend to have a very high beam angle so it can be a problem. and on a taller ceiling it's even worse.

i am harry
Oct 14, 2003

palindrome posted:

Oh well, kitchens don't leak do they?
if that one does its guaranteed to happen beneath that fakeass "marble" floor.

Fitzy Fitz
May 14, 2005

palindrome posted:

I'd take it, kitchen looks to have a decent layout. Good sink, hood over the range. Marble floor is questionable bordering on tasteless, but functionally it looks way nicer than any apartment I've lived in. That trim is also a little alarming since it infers they took numerous other shortcuts. Oh well, kitchens don't leak do they?

$400k for 860 sq ft

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud
Apr 7, 2003

Here's a historic apartment opportunity for cheap if anyone wants to try their hand at landlording

https://www.realtor.com/realestatea...mixed_view_card

i am harry
Oct 14, 2003

wow that looks freezing cold

Fitzy Fitz
May 14, 2005

That is my dream house

Apr 7, 2003

Fitzy Fitz posted:

That is my dream house

It's that cheap because it's subsiding down a hillside

It's part of a complex of similar buildings, the other ones are intact and aren't for sale.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sauer_Buildings_Historic_District

Fitzy Fitz
May 14, 2005

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud posted:

it's subsiding down a hillside

same

actionjackson
Jan 12, 2003

i am harry posted:

if that one does its guaranteed to happen beneath that fakeass "marble" floor.

I'm actually curious what the material is if not that, it might actually be tile with very well matched grout. but i don't see any straight lines.

i am harry
Oct 14, 2003

actionjackson posted:

I'm actually curious what the material is if not that, it might actually be tile with very well matched grout. but i don't see any straight lines.

they are tiles. either that long gray arm shaped pattern is exactly the same (so fake), or its real marble (lmao) and those are concentric slices from the same block, then rotated into different configs on the floor

actionjackson
Jan 12, 2003

oh right, well I do love tile

MLSM
Apr 3, 2021

by Azathoth
late stage capitalism is getting raped by your landlord forever instead of your bank through home ownership

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_DcRF0sEpp8

:patriot:

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Salt Fish
Sep 11, 2003

Cybernetic Crumb
Somebody moved into a house about 200m from me and installed an anti-loitering ultrasonic pinger that's attached to a motion detector. Now whenever I walk down the sidewalk to get to the trail I get to have a headache lmfao

It's like 100+db of 20Khz sound, I'm old as poo poo and I can easily hear it its madness. Humans are such dogshit.

Apr 7, 2003

lol that's loving mental

Bar Ran Dun
Jan 22, 2006

that seems illegal

Troutful
May 31, 2011

build quality aside, I'd love to have a soulless all-white kitchen like this, seems a lot easier to keep clean than my apartment kitchens which have all had some kind of vermin-brown color scheme

MickeyFinn
May 8, 2007
Biggie Smalls and Junior Mafia some mark ass bitches

Salt Fish posted:

Somebody moved into a house about 200m from me and installed an anti-loitering ultrasonic pinger that's attached to a motion detector. Now whenever I walk down the sidewalk to get to the trail I get to have a headache lmfao

It's like 100+db of 20Khz sound, I'm old as poo poo and I can easily hear it its madness. Humans are such dogshit.

This can’t be legal.

Nothus
Feb 22, 2001

Buglord
https://mosquitoloiteringsolutions.com/

what a dogshit society

Fitzy Fitz
May 14, 2005

Troutful posted:

build quality aside, I'd love to have a soulless all-white kitchen like this, seems a lot easier to keep clean than my apartment kitchens which have all had some kind of vermin-brown color scheme

The linoleum floor in my kitchen is such a disgusting smear of browns that I can't believe it was ever manufactured, much less sold and installed anywhere.

Salt Fish
Sep 11, 2003

Cybernetic Crumb

MickeyFinn posted:

This can’t be legal.

Well what am I going to do call the cops and tattle on them? I'll just avoid walking on that block I'm probably safer that way since the people that live there are psychopaths and probably serial killers.

A Bakers Cousin
Dec 18, 2003

by vyelkin
A loving WHAT

MickeyFinn
May 8, 2007
Biggie Smalls and Junior Mafia some mark ass bitches

Salt Fish posted:

Well what am I going to do call the cops and tattle on them? I'll just avoid walking on that block I'm probably safer that way since the people that live there are psychopaths and probably serial killers.

If you carried a gun, you would be able to defend yourself from robots.

Troutful
May 31, 2011

quote:

The MK4 Mosquito is equip with a multi-age function allowing the device to be set to 17 KHz to disperse groups of troublesome teenagers. The lower 8 KHz frequency setting should only be used if there are persistent problems with older groups of people but the device should not be used at the ‘all-age’ setting in residential areas.

lmao you can blast anyone's ears out with this

A Bakers Cousin
Dec 18, 2003

by vyelkin
Lol my website selling crime devices is surely legal right

HashtagGirlboss
Jan 4, 2005

Don’t worry, it won’t hurt bats or babies

Bastard Tetris
Apr 27, 2005

L-Shaped

Nap Ghost

HashtagGirlboss posted:

Don’t worry, it won’t hurt bats or babies

imagine echolocating through that poo poo

mawarannahr
May 21, 2019

lmfao

https://patch.com/us/across-america/fall-leaf-warriors-vs-mind-your-own-business-crowd-block-talk

quote:

To Rake Or Not To Rake: Neighbors Weigh In On Leaf Cleanup Etiquette
Readers blow off steam about neighbors who leave leaves on their lawns— and others who get up in their business over how they tend theirs.

Posted Fri, Dec 9, 2022 at 12:29 pm ET
Fall leaf cleanup is important to some people, but a chore others skip. That can lead to neighborhood disputes among those who want tidy lawns and others who say leaving the leaf litter in place until spring is an environmentally sound option.
Fall leaf cleanup is important to some people, but a chore others skip. That can lead to neighborhood disputes among those who want tidy lawns and others who say leaving the leaf litter in place until spring is an environmentally sound option. (Getty Images/iStockphoto)
ACROSS AMERICA — Tina has a confession. When her neighbor doesn’t remove the fall leaves from his yard, “I blow them all on his side,” the Patch reader responded to our Block Talk question, “What do you do when your neighbor won't rake, blow, bag or remove leaves in the fall?”

If we’re honest, any of us who have ever had to clean up a neighbor’s leaves has been at least tempted to give Tina’s blowback strategy a whirl. The trashier the tree, the greater the itch. If leaves fall from a neighbor’s sycamore, for example, they’re as big as a dinner plate, and with them come knotty twigs and brown furry balls that will gnaw at your rake or stubbornly resist your leaf blower. Just sayin’.

“Blow them back on their property,” Dee, a Lacey (New Jersey) Patch reader, wholeheartedly agreed. “Take care of your properties or move out.”

Nelly, an Oak Creek (Wisconsin) Patch reader, didn’t go as far as Tina and Dee, but acknowledged that when her neighbors skip fall cleanup, it is, “sadly, more work for us as they then blow into our yard — we end up handling the mess.”

“If you know that the leaves will blow into the neighbor’s yard, be courteous and pick them up/remove them,” Nelly continued. “We are elderly, and it takes a lot of strain on us to double clean our property due to your negligence.”

Patch reader Sara can empathize with that.

“I rake leaves all winter when my neighbors don't rake their leaves. I like to keep the yard looking good. They don’t care!” she wrote. “Please have pride in your neighborhood! Let’s all work together!”

“I have no trees in my yard, but I have leaves,” said Cyn, an East Haven Patch reader. “I remove them but the neighbors, most of whom are renters, don’t, or they blow them in the street and don’t pick them up. As soon as I’m finished raking, I have a yard full of leaves from those that don’t clean them.”

But, she continued, adding an angry face emoji, “I don’t care if you don’t want to clean yours as long as it’s not affecting me.”

‘It’s Like Magic Dust’

Some readers said they leave the leaves — a practice environmentalists support because leaf litter provides the winter shelter several species of wildlife, including vital pollinators, need to survive the winter, and acts as a natural fertilizer for gardens and lawns.

“I actually appreciate the leaves, especially the oak leaves,” wrote Wendy, who reads Milford Patch and Shelton-Derby Patch, both in Connecticut.

“Mulching the leaves and leaving them on the grass puts important nutrients back into the soil,” she explained. “It’s much healthier than using lawn chemicals, which can cause cancer to our pets.

“It’s like magic dust, as you’ll also see more fireflies on your lawn in the summer, and who doesn’t love fireflies? I also use mulched leaves around all my shrubs and garden beds to protect their roots in the winter. An added benefit is that they provide a source of food for some winter birds. Don’t forget to add them to the compost pile too!”

Patch reader Ian is unapologetic. He “applauds” people who leave the leaves where they fall. “Don’t do it,” he said of fall lawn manicures.

“If they don’t want to rake, they don’t have to,” said Tinley Park (Illinois) Patch reader Sue, who rakes leaves into piles around the bottom of her trees, at low spots along her fence and other places around her property.

“I usually will burn them or pick them up come springtime,” she said. “But I leave them in piles for the winter.”

‘It’s All Day Long, All The Time’

“I don’t remove my leaves,” said Peggy, a Natick (Massachusetts) Patch reader. “All the gas-powered leaf blowers are horrible for the environment and way too noisy!”

Here we go again.

“I don’t rake my leaves,” Carol, a Bridgewater (New Jersey) Patch reader said, wondering, “Also, who rakes? Everyone blows.”

She’s not a fan for environmental reasons, including “noise pollution, waste of fossil fuels and contributing to air pollution and global warming.”

“Noise pollution of blowers and mowers mulching makes us all unable to enjoy our neighborhoods, indoors and outdoors,” Carol continued. “It’s so loud, and it’s all day long, all the time.”

Related: When Is It OK To Use Leaf Blowers? Or Are They The Devil?
Bob, who hails from Milwaukee and commented on Across America Patch, said he has “no problem” with people who don’t rake.

However, he did take issue with the “ones who always wait until right after the city has picked up the leaves to do theirs, only to have them blow all over everyone else's lawn or serve as a dam, blocking water run-off from reaching the sewers for an entire week.”

“They’re a problem,” he said.

People who don’t remove leaves should at least “put a fence up, so they do not blow on my or other people’s yard,” said Patch reader Harry, who said he hasn’t raked, blown or bagged fall leaves in 20 years.

‘Watch Your Own Bobber’

Several readers said neighbors shouldn’t get up in each other’s business about how they care for their yards, whether they’re into lawns that look like AstroTurf or more closely resemble a forest floor.

“If you don’t like how I manage my property, tough cookies,” said Mark, a Tiverton-Little Compton (Rhode Island) Patch reader.

“I am not the leaf police,” said Tinley Park Patch reader Mare. “It’s their choice.”

“Watch your own bobber,” another Patch reader said.

“Don’t worry about yards that aren’t yours,” said Joliet (Illinois) Patch reader Mike, noting, “It’s a free country.”

“It’s their yard,” added Guilford (Connecticut) Patch reader Amy.

“Who cares?” wrote Michelle, a Parsippany (New Jersey) Patch reader. “Worry about yourself. It's leaves, which is nature. Way worse things out there.”

“You do you,” said Jill, a Jefferson (New Jersey) Patch reader who said her approach is to “mind my own business and get on with my life.”

“It does not affect my daily life in any way, shape or form,” she continued. “I have bigger problems in my life.”

“Try minding your own business,” wrote Becca, who saw our post on Across America Patch.

“Do what you want,” an Old Town Alexandria (Virginia) Patch reader commented. “I mind my own business.”

“Worry about yourself,” Ellicott City (Maryland) Patch reader Lily said.

Lindenhurst (New York) Patch reader doesn’t get in a knot over it, either. “Do what makes you happy,” she said.

“It’s their yard,” Greater Alexandria (Virginia) Patch reader Sarah said. “They can do what they like! I prefer to leave the leaves myself.”

However, she meets neighbors who prefer tidy lawns halfway, adding, “We do mulch the leaves in our front yard with a mulching mower but leave the leaves in our backyard.”

‘Be Kind’

Across America Patch reader Jennifer said she learned it’s important to “keep your neighbors happy as much as possible on this” in 2020, her first fall in Millinocket, Maine.

“I was overwhelmed by getting my fixer upper winterized and all the leaves fell off in a few days. Neighbor was annoyed. Asked me to deal with it. I did,” she wrote. “Now I stay on top of it all fall.

“I strongly suggest just going with the flow on this matter and preserving all formal avenues of neighborhood harmony,” she continued. “Rake your leaves regularly and take them to the transfer station. I reuse the bags.”

When a neighbors’ leaves trespass, “talk to them,” advised Johnny, a Hillsborough (New Jersey) Patch reader.

Jak, who lives in Chicago and commented on the Across America Patch, said he hires people to mow and rake the lawn, shovel snow and “anything I don’t want to do or cannot do.”

“There are lots of people who depend on this kind of work,” he said.

And, if a neighbor’s leaf-covered lawn is that much of an annoyance, “volunteer to take care of it for them,” said Woodbridge (New Jersey) Patch reader Adriana, who is also in the mind-your-own-business camp. “It’s a personal choice to rake or not rake,” she said.

“Some neighbors can’t remove the leaves due to age or disabilities,” said RM, a Pottstown (Pennsylvania) Patch reader who cleans the neighbor’s leaves with good humor.

“Be kind,” RM said. “Offer to help them or do it for them.”
gently caress RENTERS :mad:

Willa Rogers
Mar 11, 2005

peggy from natick is correct: gas leafblowers suck & everyone should leave the leaves.

Willa Rogers
Mar 11, 2005

grow the grass + leave the leaves are 2 initiatives I wholeheartedly support, even tho I'm a renter, bc they both favor laziness, which I also wholeheartedly support. :)

Troutful
May 31, 2011

quote:

“I don’t rake my leaves,” Carol, a Bridgewater (New Jersey) Patch reader said, wondering, “Also, who rakes? Everyone blows.”

Willa Rogers
Mar 11, 2005

no lies detected.

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

my lawn is dying and a slope is eroding away because the lawn people remove grass clippings and the landlord refuses to fertilize

i've spent like $50 on bricks to put below the fence so my cat can't escape, and another $100 on plants to root in and stop the erosion

Fitzy Fitz
May 14, 2005

A gas leaf blower is essentially a car's exhaust pipe. Barbaric tool.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HashtagGirlboss
Jan 4, 2005

I simply stripped the bark on all the trees in the neighborhood so simple