Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Jarmak
Jan 24, 2005

Magmarashi posted:

They're making something they want to, at the speed they want to do it at, and while making money to live on is important -just because- they made more than they expected to doesn't mean they are failing themselves, or you personally, for not turning the machine to 11 until the gears glow.

Honestly, as much as I would love for an endless stream of content to sate my crippling Valheim addiction, good on them for not falling into that trap.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Eifert Posting
Apr 1, 2007

Most of the time he catches it every time.
Grimey Drawer
I wouldn't mind an endless stream of tiles for building, tbf.

Molybdenum
Jun 25, 2007
Melting Point ~2622C
Why do you suppose there's not 4m long core wood beams at 45 and 26 deg?

Eifert Posting
Apr 1, 2007

Grimey Drawer
There's probably a bunch of factors going into that sort of thing. The devs have said publicly they are shocked at how dedicated and sophisticated the building community is for the game. I'm sure there's some concern about making that window too cluttered and overwhelming for new players. Some tiles interact poorly with each other and I'm sure that's a pain in the rear end to fix so I bet some pieces they just don't want to bother.

BTW: The new biome is incredible for finding a way to humble you even if you're being careful. I was exploring deep in the biome last night, I was fully stacked for food and I had mistlands level gear, except for cave armor because the extra mobility is worth the slightly worse defense. At literally the exact same time a seeker jumped in front of me and behind me, They sandwiched me and landed a flying attack at the exact same time and I went from full health and by myself to 20% health staggered and flanked in like a quarter of a second.

I feel like if I had been paying a little bit more attention I might have seen the one and gotten out of it but by the time I had seen them it was all over. I think the buddy system will be a good idea in the mists.

Eifert Posting fucked around with this message at 15:31 on Dec 8, 2022

Washin Tong
Feb 16, 2011

So I started a new server for the update, currently in troll armor and bronze/iron. Still I went to the new biome

After being VERY cautious I found a coastal tower full of friendly dwarves, Munin tells me they're cool but not to piss them off. Alright.

So uh I :airquote: accidentally :airquote: pushed one of the wizards into the deck of my longship, oops. He's now on the way to be the new dwarven ambassador of the Meadows.

Will report later as soon as we get there.

My, he's a chatty fellow

Update: They're really attached to their spawn point apparently, the guy took advantage of a big wave and yeeted himself off the ship, then proceeded to Galadriel all the way back home. I hope he makes it.

Washin Tong fucked around with this message at 20:03 on Dec 8, 2022

whalestory
Feb 9, 2004

hey ya'll!

Pillbug
Any recommended dedicated server hosting?

johnny park
Sep 15, 2009

I used Survival Servers in the past and I was pretty happy with it

Jabarto
Apr 7, 2007

I could do with your...assistance.

idiotsavant posted:

You got your value out of Valheim already, and now you're mad that you aren't getting even more value? Valheim was just about the best you can demand from an early access game without being an actual full release, and I bet that almost everyone who played it got more than their $20 worth. If the devs had taken all their well-earned money and hosed off forever leaving it unfinished, it still would have been worth $20 and I'd still recommend it to people looking for fun crafting/survival games. Why are you so mad at the devs? it's goofy af

i saw some similar attitudes in response to an article written earlier this year about Dwarf Fortress releasing on Steam, with commenters pissing and moaning that devs weren't being exact about the release date and how could they whine and beg for money and stuff when the game wasn't updated yet and it was just bizarre - it's been out and complete for like 15 years now and you can play it completely free; these weirdos are all caremad that a couple of nerds programming in their basement aren't catering to their every whim? chill the gently caress out

You know what an early access game is, right? Like the game is literally, explicitly unfinished and sold with the underlying assumption that it will be finished later. You can say that what they've put out already is worth the price of admission, and I would 100% agree with you, but that doesnt change the fact that expecting it to be finished in an at least vaguely foreseeable future is part of the deal. Pretending otherwise is really toxic and a bad precedent for the industry.

Brain Curry
Feb 15, 2007

People think that I'm lazy
People think that I'm this fool because
I give a fuck about the government
I didn't graduate from high school

Jabarto posted:

You know what an early access game is, right? Like the game is literally, explicitly unfinished and sold with the underlying assumption that it will be finished later. You can say that what they've put out already is worth the price of admission, and I would 100% agree with you, but that doesnt change the fact that expecting it to be finished in an at least vaguely foreseeable future is part of the deal. Pretending otherwise is really toxic and a bad precedent for the industry.

Early Access is explicitly not guaranteed to ever release, or even progress at all. From the FAQ:

WHEN WILL THESE GAMES RELEASE?
Its up to the developer to determine when they are ready to 'release'. Some developers have a concrete deadline in mind, while others will get a better sense as the development of the game progresses. You should be aware that some teams will be unable to 'finish' their game. So you should only buy an Early Access game if you are excited about playing it in its current state.

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

my friend group has plans to dive back into this after eighteen months starting monday. anyone logging onto the server before that just can't kill any of the bosses. a couple of us started yesterday and already have full level 1 troll hide sets, a charcoal maker, forge, two portals and a core wood longhouse. i'm getting pretty good at farming fine wood the hard way. the others are gonna be pissed on monday lol

Thorn Wishes Talon
Oct 18, 2014

by Fluffdaddy

Brain Curry posted:

Early Access is explicitly not guaranteed to ever release, or even progress at all. From the FAQ:

WHEN WILL THESE GAMES RELEASE?
Its up to the developer to determine when they are ready to 'release'. Some developers have a concrete deadline in mind, while others will get a better sense as the development of the game progresses. You should be aware that some teams will be unable to 'finish' their game. So you should only buy an Early Access game if you are excited about playing it in its current state.

This isn't a case where the team is "unable" to finish their game, though. Quite the opposite: they have made money beyond their wildest dreams.

If they wanted to call it quits after, they could have released a few last bug fix and polish updates and put the "1.0" stamp on it. I think almost everyone would have been OK with that. What people find very annoying though is the lack of a regular and frequent release cadence that would take the game to the next level and beyond. It's the squandered opportunity that rubs people the wrong way.

Phigs
Jan 23, 2019

Reminder that you can be overall happy with a product but be annoyed by one aspect of it. People don't have the be "mad" to point out Valheim's release schedule has been garbage. Even the devs intended a more rapid update pace originally so it's not like this is their ideal pace either.

concise
Aug 31, 2004

Ain't much to do
'round here.

whalestory posted:

Any recommended dedicated server hosting?

valhost.net is $9/mo and worked great for my group until we started self hosting a docker container

Ravenfood
Nov 4, 2011
I saw that they added more bucklers. Is there any reason to use a round shield or tower shield of equivalent tier if you are good at parrying? Bucklers just seem mechanically the best.

Fashion is an acceptable answer.

Ravenfood fucked around with this message at 15:44 on Dec 9, 2022

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

Ravenfood posted:

I saw that they added more bucklers. Is there any reason to use a round shield or tower shield of equivalent tier if you are good at parrying? They just seem mechanically the best.

I had one of those first bucklers that let you choose the red/blue with white design, and I chose red. I looked like the viking ancestor to a founder of Umbrella Corp.

Thorn Wishes Talon
Oct 18, 2014

by Fluffdaddy

Ravenfood posted:

I saw that they added more bucklers. Is there any reason to use a round shield or tower shield of equivalent tier if you are good at parrying? They just seem mechanically the best.

Tower shields are good for tanks in multiplayer. There's no real reason to use them in SP, imo.

Ravenfood
Nov 4, 2011
Cool, thanks. Fashion it is, then, and avoiding tower shields unless they look cool.

I know awhile ago not every seed had Moder: is this still true?

One of my early games had a sweet location that was basically a small strip of forest overlooking a meadow, but overshadowed by a mountain. I loved the idea of building basically a base/waystation there, and ultimately put a stave church inspired structure to act as a portal hub there. I would kill for a landmass/area that basically lets me build a meadow harbor/town/thing and then further up a cliff overlooking it, a more fortress-y area. Almost like how Kaer Trolde in W3 looks, if that makes sense.

Restarting and playing again has been a lot of fun though!

Burns
May 10, 2008

I decided that insteaf of trying to climb mistlands peaks im just gonna go through them.

pik_d
Feb 24, 2006

follow the white dove

TRP Post of the Month October 2021

Burns posted:

I decided that insteaf of trying to climb mistlands peaks im just gonna go through them.

With a pickaxe? That seems unbearably slow

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin

Burns posted:

Lol, enjoy a million seekers and gjall showing up

I couldn't get to the top of a super tall lighthouse and decided to try to mine it out while 90% of the way up, and seekers got up there somehow. I eventually brought in a lot of wood for ladders , got to the top, and found like ten pieces of black marble, whee

I will say I appreciate how easy it is to break an entire structure of Jotunn , either ribs or the soft tissue

After dealing with floating silver veins, was a good change

Sixto Lezcano
Jul 11, 2007

Yeah following the valleys has been way more successful for us than trying to cut over the peaks.

Burns
May 10, 2008

mastershakeman posted:

Lol, enjoy a million seekers and gjall showing up.

Other then the seeker event at the nearby camp the mining was mostly uneventful.

Nordick
Sep 3, 2011

Yes.
I was having trouble dealing with seekers too, until I switched my blackmetal knife for the Frostner. That thing fucks seekers right up. As long as your swings aren't hitting other poo poo, a single combo after a parry is enough. And the special attack is great too, it has a ton of knockback and if your timing is good you can just keep whacking them without them ever getting a hit on you.

Ravenfood
Nov 4, 2011
Frostner is almost annoyingly good. All the maces are, really. In the meadows, who cares, but a club is one of the easiest weapons to build. In the black forest, you definitely want a mace for the skeletons and that's really it, since everything else you probably shoot with your Finewood bow, which is great in comparison to the previous tier (and honestly the next one too). Then in swamps, same deal, you are going to get an iron mace for the draugr, oozes, and bonemass. If you vary it, an iron sledge might be the next option. Either way, iron is dear enough that you probably aren't building a sword or atgeir unless you want to.

So then you are in the mountains, and your weapon choices are a sword that does bonus damage to enemies in the previous biome, a spear that largely comes from the most common biome enemies and also is pretty kickass for the cost, and yet another mace that has a ton of advantages. Like the sword, it does bonus spirit damage, but also does bonus damage to anything wet, which means it's great for tearing through swamps. But! It also is great in the plains for slowing enemies and if it rains, you're in luck, it gets bonus damage there too. So for three biomes in a row, your best bet for a weapon is a mace, and the only variation in that is snagging a fang spear for the mountains if you like them.

Also, the feather cape giving both frost resistance and featherfall makes me really think the lox or linen capes need a different effect.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

After MUCH preparation, our group of 4 beat Yagluth last night on our first try. We'd received some casual advice previous to it, so we sort of knew what to expect. The only person who died was me, mostly because I mistimed a dodge and got pummeled by meteors.

Then we decided, wisps all equipped, just to take a quick peak in the mistlands themselves.

:stare:

3 of us died to a 1-star seeker, with my wife kind of holed up in the basement of a dverger house, pelting at the thing while we death-ran back. Most of the dverger died, too. We made it back to our bodies, killed the bastard and then quickly Eikthyr'd the hell out of there. We're looking forward to building better stuff with the mistlands loot.

I love this game.

Eifert Posting
Apr 1, 2007

Grimey Drawer
I don't know for a fact that this is the case but I feel like they tweaked the combat in between the original patch that installed mistlands and now. Seekers do a ton more knockback now and it makes them much harder. I can't tell if they are intentionally trying to push you towards the magic system, because the frost staff is basically a must-have, or if they realize the frost staff makes everything so much easier and decided to crank the difficulty up at the expense of people who don't want to use it.

Thorn Wishes Talon
Oct 18, 2014

by Fluffdaddy

Ravenfood posted:

Frostner is almost annoyingly good. All the maces are, really. In the meadows, who cares, but a club is one of the easiest weapons to build. In the black forest, you definitely want a mace for the skeletons and that's really it, since everything else you probably shoot with your Finewood bow, which is great in comparison to the previous tier (and honestly the next one too). Then in swamps, same deal, you are going to get an iron mace for the draugr, oozes, and bonemass. If you vary it, an iron sledge might be the next option. Either way, iron is dear enough that you probably aren't building a sword or atgeir unless you want to.

So then you are in the mountains, and your weapon choices are a sword that does bonus damage to enemies in the previous biome, a spear that largely comes from the most common biome enemies and also is pretty kickass for the cost, and yet another mace that has a ton of advantages. Like the sword, it does bonus spirit damage, but also does bonus damage to anything wet, which means it's great for tearing through swamps. But! It also is great in the plains for slowing enemies and if it rains, you're in luck, it gets bonus damage there too. So for three biomes in a row, your best bet for a weapon is a mace, and the only variation in that is snagging a fang spear for the mountains if you like them.

Also, the feather cape giving both frost resistance and featherfall makes me really think the lox or linen capes need a different effect.

yeah frostner is too good. the only drawback is that it takes forever to kill enemies that resist some of its damage types, but even then the slow effect removes them as serious threats.

Ravenfood
Nov 4, 2011
I mean, I like the idea, it just outclasses everything except maybe the poison bow. It's a neat idea for a weapon and I love its look, but...yeah. not only is it mechanically good, it looks and feels cool in a way a blackmetal sword doesn't.

pik_d
Feb 24, 2006

follow the white dove

I never even made the blackmetal sword on my second playthrough, the Frostner/Draugr fang combo is just too strong, I keep an axe with me anyway, so I have slash damage there in a pinch anyway.

I am going to have to make the Mistlands swords just to try them out though. I have a feeling Mistwalker is going to be the new Frostner with the frost damage, and Krom just for the novelty of a 2 handed sword.

I've also heard good things about Skoll and Hati, so I just made that but haven't had much of a chance to use them outside a Surtling raid.

But I think Himmin afl and Arbalest are going to become my favorite Mistland weapons outside of the magic whenever I get there.

Ravenfood
Nov 4, 2011
I'm kind of bummed the new spear doesn't do lightning damage when you throw it.

FLIPADELPHIA
Apr 27, 2007

Heavy Shit
Grimey Drawer
Is the new Dagger set the same attack animations as the Freddy Krueger claws? I liked them but the attack animations are so much worse than the regular dagger

Eifert Posting
Apr 1, 2007

Grimey Drawer
The new sword and the new pike are both good. I carry them both because they're useful in different situations. In particular the Pike is very useful when you're fighting ticks.

pik_d
Feb 24, 2006

follow the white dove

Eifert Posting posted:

The new sword and the new pike are both good. I carry them both because they're useful in different situations. In particular the Pike is very useful when you're fighting ticks.

Yeah I like the Atgeirs against the Seekers as well, the knockback helps a ton, but it makes the ticks basically harmless.

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

The slightest touch from a Gol-Shogeg will result in Instant Death!
I have zero problem with not-mjolnir being the best weapon in the vikings game tbh

Nordick
Sep 3, 2011

Yes.

Ravenfood posted:

I mean, I like the idea, it just outclasses everything except maybe the poison bow. It's a neat idea for a weapon and I love its look, but...yeah. not only is it mechanically good, it looks and feels cool in a way a blackmetal sword doesn't.

Thing is though, that with those wide-swinging weapons it's super easy to hit things in the environment in addition to your target, which really cuts into your damage output.

In this current game of mine, I've been using knives as my main weapons, and they actually loving rule even just for straight-up fighting. Their attack speed is so high that it's easy to get a full combo in at a staggered enemy (which is a big deal since the last hit in a combo is more powerful), and the shorter reach means it's a lot harder to lose huge chunks of your damage on random rocks and poo poo.

Also, once you get a feel for the distance, the special leap attack is surprisingly useful. Even without stealth it does so much damage it will stagger a lot of enemies right away, so it's a great opener. And if you do manage to get a stealth jump attack it does a hysterical amount of damage, although this is more of a situational party trick (one-shotting a troll is a pretty funny novelty to cross off your bucket list).

Ravenfood
Nov 4, 2011

thespaceinvader posted:

I have zero problem with not-mjolnir being the best weapon in the vikings game tbh

What irks me isn't that is there, it's that until then you really don't have a reason to make anything that isn't a club either. Maces are best in class thanks to resistances and vulnerability for the two zones prior, too.

JosephSkunk
Dec 16, 2003
Yes, evidently you had misperceived it as rain.
I've been trying to live Frostner as much as what i hear on the forums but it didn't seem to be as useful as the sword, it just feels slow and ineffective. I really miss the atgeir at the silver level. Maybe it's because I'm mostly fighting wolves at this point and i need speed more.

Or maybe it's the shing sound,i think it's the shing sound the more i think about it.

Speaking of sounds, i love how they seem to have a choir (or at least one singing voice) singing during the storms, or something similar. It makes the storms seem so much more... Epic? Like the badass storms in old looney tunes.

Am i crazy or do you hear it too?

Ravenfood
Nov 4, 2011
Frostner only has a minor weakness against stuff like wolves, and for that a fang spear is excellent. And cheap as gently caress to make.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

What would someone suggest I use if I loooooove the Porcupine?

Or can I just keep upgrading that and upping my club skill?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jabarto
Apr 7, 2007

I could do with your...assistance.

Ravenfood posted:

What irks me isn't that is there, it's that until then you really don't have a reason to make anything that isn't a club either. Maces are best in class thanks to resistances and vulnerability for the two zones prior, too.

Swords used to be very slightly faster than maces, but then they nerfed that for no reason at all. Now there's never ever a reason to use one over a mace.