Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Shaman Tank Spec
Dec 26, 2003

*blep*

CapnAndy posted:

I honestly don't get it, all you have to do to keep in good graces with the Abbott is bite your goddamn tongue and not pick pointless fights that can only hurt your cause.

That was one of the coolest things early on in the game for me: coming to the realization that sometimes keeping your loving mouth shut is the right move. It's not like a game-rear end videogame where getting secret knowledge is the key to unlocking progress or benefits. Sometimes getting secret knowledge is the key to ruining your relationship with people, or ruining people's lives.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Inspector Gesicht
Oct 26, 2012

500 Zeus a body.

If a niche game like this got an expansion then another murder would suffice. Just a self-contained mystery in some small locale.

bone emulator
Nov 3, 2005

Wrrroavr

Shaman Tank Spec posted:

That was one of the coolest things early on in the game for me: coming to the realization that sometimes keeping your loving mouth shut is the right move. It's not like a game-rear end videogame where getting secret knowledge is the key to unlocking progress or benefits. Sometimes getting secret knowledge is the key to ruining your relationship with people, or ruining people's lives.

If the baron wants to chat about Martin Luther and Protestantism* while dining with the monks, who am I to say no?

*latest fad

RoyalScion
May 16, 2009
Yeah, I'm only in Act 2 but you really need to keep in mind a lot of these people are not your friends or anything; if you have the option to say nothing it's rarely a bad idea.

Also the Abbott is a poo poo and while I didn't push him on matters for the most part once he started coming down on Piero the gloves came off and I treated him like a scumbag.

Metis of the Chat Thread
Aug 1, 2014

It was really funny in Act 3 when people talked up Andreas for seeking peace between the peasants and the abbott when actually I was poo poo-talking the abbott at every opportunity because I hated him so much.

Play
Apr 25, 2006

Strong stroll for a mangy stray

Shaman Tank Spec posted:

I completely agree. In many cases my instinct is just to be quiet and let people speak, and a lot of games like this won't have those options so I really liked that this one did. In real life it's often better to just listen and not give your opinion. Especially when none of the dialogue options fit what I would've wanted to say

X_Toad
Apr 2, 2011
Is Matthieu's job as the keeper of the Sacristy obscure for most of the faithful ? Unless you focused on Theology at the university, he interprets all the answers you can give him about his job as if Andreas was mocking it.

Basic Chunnel
Sep 21, 2010

Jesus! Jesus Christ! Say his name! Jesus! Jesus! Come down now!

Matthieu is just generally prickly and insecure; he was as into Act 2 Abbott's bullshit as much as the Abbott himself.

lordfrikk
Mar 11, 2010

Oh, say it ain't fuckin' so,
you stupid fuck!
rope kid, I'm still wondering about Karl and his family: they arrive the second day (seemingly) out of nowhere and then just stay in the town but there's no entry for them in the journal. Bug or feature? Would be nice to learn more about them.

WarpedLichen
Aug 14, 2008

Basic Chunnel posted:

Matthieu is just generally prickly and insecure; he was as into Act 2 Abbott's bullshit as much as the Abbott himself.

It's funny because I consider Matthieu my bro because he let Andreas get advance pay when I told him what it was for. He was absolutely prickly and bitter about the abbey being closed down though.

RoyalScion
May 16, 2009
Kind of regretting my choice in A3 to give Magdalene the barbs trait, it makes for some really funny dialogue but I don't usually choose it since it doesn't feel natural for her to be a jerk most of the time. Also https://imgur.com/a/Rw8ugRo

X_Toad
Apr 2, 2011

lordfrikk posted:

rope kid, I'm still wondering about Karl and his family: they arrive the second day (seemingly) out of nowhere and then just stay in the town but there's no entry for them in the journal. Bug or feature? Would be nice to learn more about them.
I know we see Karl in Act 1 standing outside the shrine, but yeah, we never meet his wife and his children only appear in Act 2 and onward. We do have an entry for Anton in Act 2 and Martha in Act 3.

X_Toad fucked around with this message at 00:32 on Dec 11, 2022

En Garde Motherfuckers
Apr 29, 2009

Hey. Is it just me, or do my balls itch?

RoyalScion posted:

Kind of regretting my choice in A3 to give Magdalene the barbs trait, it makes for some really funny dialogue but I don't usually choose it since it doesn't feel natural for her to be a jerk most of the time. Also https://imgur.com/a/Rw8ugRo

imo it's worth taking just to marvel at how brutal some of those responses are, even if you never pick any of them

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

En Garde Motherfuckers posted:

imo it's worth taking just to marvel at how brutal some of those responses are, even if you never pick any of them

Yeah, every time I was like “godDAMN…ok, pick something else”.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

Yeah I've never taken barbs as a trait and now I kinda wish I had just so I can SEE them while not necessarily choosing them. That one in the linked image is incredible.

Knuc U Kinte
Aug 17, 2004

I took barbs because as soon as I met Otto I knew I wanted to tell him to gently caress off every time I saw him.

Metis of the Chat Thread
Aug 1, 2014

They're so brutal. I never felt mean enough to say any of them.

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus
I dropped a couple in my first playthrough but count me as another one who thought they were usually too brutal and mean, I guess I was hoping for more snarky. But the ones I did drop resulted in Otz's responses of "Jesus Christ" and "Jesus Christ, Mags" and I in fact lol'd at each each one, so imo worth it

Buschmaki
Dec 26, 2012

‿︵‿︵‿︵‿Lean Addict︵‿︵‿︵‿
I think they work, even if you dont pick them if you characterize Magdalene as feeling stifled by life in Tassing and feeling bitter over being expected to stay there her whole life and those are just her internal thoughts

RoyalScion
May 16, 2009
Just finished, drat didn’t realize telling Ursula what you thought would be better stories for kids would get her burned at the stake

Basic Chunnel
Sep 21, 2010

RoyalScion posted:

Admittedly few of us made that choice thinking we’d be Bavaria’s greatest insult comedienne, but one of the things abt the particular conceit of this game is that relationships aren’t usually gamified or casually / dramatically risked, because people have to live with one another in any event. If your Magda is a huge bitch, she’ll have always been one, and people will expect her to be one, and thus the stakes of just verbally napalming everyone in sight are reduced.

Basic Chunnel
Sep 21, 2010

* double post smh

404notfound
Mar 5, 2006

stop staring at me

Basic Chunnel posted:

Admittedly few of us made that choice thinking we’d be Bavaria’s greatest insult comedienne, but one of the things abt the particular conceit of this game is that relationships aren’t usually gamified or casually / dramatically risked, because people have to live with one another in any event. If your Magda is a huge bitch, she’ll have always been one, and people will expect her to be one, and thus the stakes of just verbally napalming everyone in sight are reduced.

I did notice this one time, where I picked a particularly savage response just for the hell of it, and rather than being deeply insulted, the person just brushed it off as Magda's coarse personality

CapnAndy
Feb 27, 2004

Some teeth long for ripping, gleaming wet from black dog gums. So you keep your eyes closed at the end. You don't want to see such a mouth up close. before the bite, before its oblivion in the goring of your soft parts, the speckled lips will curl back in a whinny of excitement. You just know it.
Does Act 2 always end with Andreas' death? I knew that entire thing was heading to a cockup cascade, but Christ things spiralled so far further out of control than I'd anticipated.

I accused the innkeeper's wife -- and I'm pretty goddamn sure she did it, she had motive, means, and opportunity. Guy was an embezzling little fuckwad but I don't have proof he even did his dumbass ritual, just that he was thinking about it, and it wouldn't actually kill anyone anyway, and unless I missed something major, the quote-unquote case against Martin boiled down to "it is in my best interest to think he's some mysterious doppleganger who came home instead of the real Martin, so I believe that".

Like, in Act I, I'm still not very sure that Lucky did it, but this one I felt good about.

And then it resulted in her dying, and that rear end in a top hat miller, and Ulrich, and that was a tragedy, and with Ulrich dead, nobody was left to hold Peter's dumb rear end back, and poo poo got burned down. Yikes.

But Anna named her kids after Andreas and Ulrich, awwww. And she kept Andreas' hat, because she gave it to Ulrike! :shobon:

Vegetable posted:

I spent two hours playing this on a plane but am struggling to get into it. There’s a lot of that Just Running Around that I struggled with even in Disco Elysium. The plot hasn’t turned in any interesting way yet and the dialogue is… quaint, sure. The one puzzle I stumbled on — rotating the wheel — was truly dumb. I also haven’t felt a sense of stakes at any point.

I’m a giant history nerd and love text adventures so this really should have been my thing. I dunno, maybe it got a bit too hyped up for me.
Did anyone die yet? The majority of the game is solving mysteries through the mechanisms of having medieval conversations about different stuff, choosing who to curry favor with and trying not to gently caress it up by injecting your modern sensibilities, and deciding who to eat with.

If nobody's dead yet, game hasn't really started yet. If they have, the stakes should be obvious -- find murderer before someone who definitely didn't do it gets blamed and dies instead.

Knuc U Kinte posted:

I took barbs because as soon as I met Otto I knew I wanted to tell him to gently caress off every time I saw him.
I took barbs because they fit my conception of Mags. I also took Polyglot and Bookkeeper, and I've been playing her as wanting to stay in town and sweet on Otz. I see her as a girl who grew up reading everything her dad printed, learning the business as she grew, and always knowing that some day it'd be hers and dreaming of what she'd do with it then -- and picking up a sharp tongue from her willingness to tell anyone who even suggests that she won't be able to run her business her way exactly what they can do with said unsolicited advice. And Otz is a catch, he's handsome and he comes from a good family (and Paul, who I think might've been a better match due to his artistic tendencies, is taken), and she knows she could do a great deal worse, and not much better. I have needled Otz once or twice, but mostly because I think that's also how she flirts, and Otz knows her well enough by now to know that.

RoyalScion posted:

I actually picked this option! He took it without much comment. But like I said, in my mind, that was a flirtation.

SexyBlindfold
Apr 24, 2008
i dont care how much probation i get capital letters are for squares hehe im so laid back an nice please read my low effort shitposts about the arab spring

thanxs!!!
As far as Barbs go, I still don't think any of them top Dear GOD, Matilda, was there NO ONE ELSE?!, but yeah, I also rarely picked them.

Re: Ötz, I was on the fence over accepting his attention for a good chunk of the act. I tried to get into Magda's shoes as much as possible, and I saw her as someone whose main drive was her craft, but could see herself as being required to marry - we get some lines over the legal benefits of it re: inheritance, and it also gave her a parallel to Andreas on act 1. If she was acting from that purely practical point of view, Ötz would seem like the best she could hope for, even if she maybe daydreamed about Casimierz or Paul. The two things that kinda soured me on him were that, from what you see of his council work, he's the total opposite of his dad, being the only council member who's very forthright about "oof, I'd rather not step on any toes, I'd rather not get in trouble with our lord", even if he's willing to go to bat for your mural ideas. He was given a position of authority at age 18 because of who his dad was and I'm not sure he'll live up to the expectations. Also, I really didn't like his vibe when he was drunk at the Christmas party.

panko
Sep 6, 2005

~honda best man~

the only time I seriously considered soft resetting during my first playthrough was during the party, I talked to big jorj too early and missed out on conversing with the people upstairs. I made sure to do it on second playthrough, but sadly I missed out on chatting with bad future stolz that first go-around. I didn’t bother spending a few hours buying drinks for the bar in act II because I was pursuing what seemed like more salient leads at the time. glad I did it the second time through because the resulting event is one of the best parts of the game imo (and ironically contains one of the most formative conversations the player can have with stolz).

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

In regards to Werner, what is the key driving factor behind whether he ends up a bitter drunk who passes out in the street or a committed, valued member of the community? The only real key difference between my first two playthroughs I can think of is that at one point I took the time to tell him,"You know I thought you were kind of an rear end in a top hat at first, but I was wrong, you're an okay dude" and it seemed to completely change up his entire worldview.

Actually now that I think about it, in my second playthrough Andreas couldn't converse with the other doctors in their own language so mostly sat back in the conversation and let the others chat, maybe that played a part too?

Also! The Game of the Year thread is up, go put in a vote for Pentiment!

RoyalScion
May 16, 2009
My guess is it's in A2 when you have that conversation outside his house where he tells you how jealous he is of Andreas etc.. and you can kind of encourage him to be a better dude. I still didn't have enough brownie points for him to tell me about the body though. I did have the conversation with him and doctors at the tavern but it didn't amount to much for him as far as I could tell since I disagreed with him about Plato's Natural Philosophy.

CapnAndy
Feb 27, 2004

Some teeth long for ripping, gleaming wet from black dog gums. So you keep your eyes closed at the end. You don't want to see such a mouth up close. before the bite, before its oblivion in the goring of your soft parts, the speckled lips will curl back in a whinny of excitement. You just know it.
Amazing how much this game can diverge; I didn't even have the conversation with other doctors.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

You're missing out!

Shaman Tank Spec posted:

I enjoyed the phonetic English.

Servetus
Apr 1, 2010
I only went through that sequence once, and then rewound because it wasn't getting the information that I needed. My Andreas had spent time in Flanders and England, so in spite of being unable to speak Latin he could speak to each doctor. He just couldn't speak to everyone at once.

Pewdiepie
Oct 31, 2010

CapnAndy posted:

Does Act 2 always end with Andreas' death? I knew that entire thing was heading to a cockup cascade, but Christ things spiralled so far further out of control than I'd anticipated.

I accused the innkeeper's wife -- and I'm pretty goddamn sure she did it, she had motive, means, and opportunity. Guy was an embezzling little fuckwad but I don't have proof he even did his dumbass ritual, just that he was thinking about it, and it wouldn't actually kill anyone anyway, and unless I missed something major, the quote-unquote case against Martin boiled down to "it is in my best interest to think he's some mysterious doppleganger who came home instead of the real Martin, so I believe that".

Like, in Act I, I'm still not very sure that Lucky did it, but this one I felt good about.

And then it resulted in her dying, and that rear end in a top hat miller, and Ulrich, and that was a tragedy, and with Ulrich dead, nobody was left to hold Peter's dumb rear end back, and poo poo got burned down. Yikes.

But Anna named her kids after Andreas and Ulrich, awwww. And she kept Andreas' hat, because she gave it to Ulrike! :shobon:

Did anyone die yet? The majority of the game is solving mysteries through the mechanisms of having medieval conversations about different stuff, choosing who to curry favor with and trying not to gently caress it up by injecting your modern sensibilities, and deciding who to eat with.

If nobody's dead yet, game hasn't really started yet. If they have, the stakes should be obvious -- find murderer before someone who definitely didn't do it gets blamed and dies instead.

I took barbs because they fit my conception of Mags. I also took Polyglot and Bookkeeper, and I've been playing her as wanting to stay in town and sweet on Otz. I see her as a girl who grew up reading everything her dad printed, learning the business as she grew, and always knowing that some day it'd be hers and dreaming of what she'd do with it then -- and picking up a sharp tongue from her willingness to tell anyone who even suggests that she won't be able to run her business her way exactly what they can do with said unsolicited advice. And Otz is a catch, he's handsome and he comes from a good family (and Paul, who I think might've been a better match due to his artistic tendencies, is taken), and she knows she could do a great deal worse, and not much better. I have needled Otz once or twice, but mostly because I think that's also how she flirts, and Otz knows her well enough by now to know that.

I actually picked this option! He took it without much comment. But like I said, in my mind, that was a flirtation.

The case against (ACT 2) Jobst Farber is that the old traveler in the inn witnessed him murder somebody (possibly Martin), and that Otto was fully aware he wasn't Martin and was using that information to blackmail Jobst into supporting his politics so there's his motive for murdering Otto (the evidence for this also ties Jobst to the murder location). Martin and Jobst were both bandits in the same gang. Jobst claims Martin died in a heist gone wrong but I think he's an unreliable narrator.

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

Pewdiepie posted:

The case against (ACT 2) Jobst Farber is that the old traveler in the inn witnessed him murder somebody (possibly Martin), and that Otto was fully aware he wasn't Martin and was using that information to blackmail Jobst into supporting his politics so there's his motive for murdering Otto (the evidence for this also ties Jobst to the murder location). Martin and Jobst were both bandits in the same gang. Jobst claims Martin died in a heist gone wrong but I think he's an unreliable narrator.

His change in demeanor in Act 3 is suspicious given the circumstances too, he's like a man with a guilty conscience...

CapnAndy
Feb 27, 2004

Jerusalem posted:

You're missing out!
drat, I didn't buy drinks at the inn because I was so sure that the innkeeper's wife did it, and thus didn't assume any information I could get there would be credible. So I went hunting with the miller guy, knowing he was having an affair with her, because I thought I could maybe get him to give up something else on her, but instead he just fed me more of the Martin conspiracy theory.

Pewdiepie posted:

I still don't buy that. Dude looks like grown up Martin; it's quite the remarkable coincidence that some random stranger turned out to be Martin's long lost twin brother from another mother! And on the other hand, does "yeah, I was a lovely kid, but I grew up" really stretch credulity? It's "Martin sucked as a kid and ran off, grew up, decided he'd like to stop sucking, came back home, and has been trying his best to be better" against "Martin sucked as a kid and ran off, randomly fell in with a dude who looked exactly like him, that dude decided 'you know what I want, a life as a peasant where the entire town distrusts me and I've got a wife and kid to take care of', killed Martin for it, and assumed his identity". I know which side of that I'm putting the burden of evidence on.

And, again -- means, motive, and opportunity. Even if the impostor theory is right, I still question the motive and opportunity. Seems like hypothetical fake Martin could just go "no, I'm Martin" and his family would stick by him, and if he inexplicably disappeared during the bonfire, nobody mentioned that to me. I'm also pretty sure Martin is illiterate, and we know the killer got a note from the Thread-Puller.

Whereas the innkeeper's wife can read, has an excellent motive, lives right by the forest where the disguise was ditched, and if you talk to her son, he'll tell you that she got panicked and left the inn for no good reason on the night of the bonfire.

Fair Bear Maiden
Jun 17, 2013
To be clear Act 2 Martin isn't Martin. If you ask Brigita and convince her to spill the beans, she'll say as much, and Werner, the doctor, will let you know that when he examined he didn't have a scar that he knew Martin should have had. Now, was he the killer? That's another question.

rope kid
Feb 3, 2001

Warte nur! Balde
Ruhest du auch.

Patch 1.1 is up ~*

https://twitter.com/Obsidian/status/1602392905464807430

antidote
Jun 15, 2005

Cool!

I think the Obsidian forums link doesn't work though.

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

God Bless you, rope kid

Pewdiepie
Oct 31, 2010

CapnAndy posted:

drat, I didn't buy drinks at the inn because I was so sure that the innkeeper's wife did it, and thus didn't assume any information I could get there would be credible. So I went hunting with the miller guy, knowing he was having an affair with her, because I thought I could maybe get him to give up something else on her, but instead he just fed me more of the Martin conspiracy theory.

I still don't buy that. Dude looks like grown up Martin; it's quite the remarkable coincidence that some random stranger turned out to be Martin's long lost twin brother from another mother! And on the other hand, does "yeah, I was a lovely kid, but I grew up" really stretch credulity? It's "Martin sucked as a kid and ran off, grew up, decided he'd like to stop sucking, came back home, and has been trying his best to be better" against "Martin sucked as a kid and ran off, randomly fell in with a dude who looked exactly like him, that dude decided 'you know what I want, a life as a peasant where the entire town distrusts me and I've got a wife and kid to take care of', killed Martin for it, and assumed his identity". I know which side of that I'm putting the burden of evidence on.

And, again -- means, motive, and opportunity. Even if the impostor theory is right, I still question the motive and opportunity. Seems like hypothetical fake Martin could just go "no, I'm Martin" and his family would stick by him, and if he inexplicably disappeared during the bonfire, nobody mentioned that to me. I'm also pretty sure Martin is illiterate, and we know the killer got a note from the Thread-Puller.

Whereas the innkeeper's wife can read, has an excellent motive, lives right by the forest where the disguise was ditched, and if you talk to her son, he'll tell you that she got panicked and left the inn for no good reason on the night of the bonfire.

It happened IRL and the Martin character is a direct reference to this: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Martin_Guerre Yes everything Jobst says stretches credulity he's a violent career criminal who is wanted for a murder he committed in a bar fight. Probably not the only person he's murdered and he is extremely capable of doing it again (he gets into another bar fight in Tassing when you buy everyone a drink). The people who know his deception and support it are his wife and Otto who both stand to gain from doing so. His wife is allowed to have an stable relationship and pursue her true love interest (Martin prohibited this and abused her) and Otto gains a guy who publicly supports him.

Pewdiepie fucked around with this message at 21:48 on Dec 12, 2022

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Drunkboxer
Jun 30, 2007

Fair Bear Maiden posted:

To be clear Act 2 Martin isn't Martin. If you ask Brigita and convince her to spill the beans, she'll say as much, and Werner, the doctor, will let you know that when he examined he didn't have a scar that he knew Martin should have had. Now, was he the killer? That's another question.

Also if you’re rapscalliony enough ”Martin” will just straight up tell you who he is.