Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

President Beep
Apr 30, 2009

i have to have a car because otherwise i cant drive around the country solving mysteries while being doggedly pursued by federal marshals for a crime i did not commit (9/11)
Anyway, like most places poo poo’s been dire straits around my area for cheap 35mm color film. Walgreens doesn’t even seem to be stocking and the local camera store is charging -$22 for a roll of Portra. Just found out that Meijer has 3x36 of Fuji 200 in stock for $18 though so I’m definitely hitting that poo poo up tomorrow.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

President Beep
Apr 30, 2009

i have to have a car because otherwise i cant drive around the country solving mysteries while being doggedly pursued by federal marshals for a crime i did not commit (9/11)
Shot some 35mm Delta 3200 the other day. I’ve used 120 before, so I knew it’d be grainy, but not this grainy. Shot at box speed and developed with HC-110, dilution B. Might try DD-X next time(?)

Having such a fast film for dark places like the museum I was at is awesome, but I would like to tame the grain a bit without significantly loving over the sharpness, if possible.

ImplicitAssembler
Jan 24, 2013

I'm not convinced that there's a whole lot you can do with Delta3200 at 35mm.

Cacator
Aug 6, 2005

You're quite good at turning me on.

I shot Delta 400 at 1600 in 35mm recently and was pretty happy with the results (compared to say, HP5 at 1600 which is insanely grainy). Maybe try that instead?

VoodooXT
Feb 24, 2006
I want Tong Po! Give me Tong Po!
I personally don't bother with Delta 3200 if I want a 3200 speed B&W film. I usually just push HP5 or Kentmere 400 3 stops in development and I've liked the results.

President Beep
Apr 30, 2009

Good suggestions. Thanks for the tips.

To be honest I probably could’ve shot at 1600 and still kept decently high shutter speeds in that setting.

theHUNGERian
Feb 23, 2006

How do all y'all color calibrate your scanners? Is it even worth it? I see that the people from Silverfast sell color calibration transparencies. Will the resulting icc profile have any impact on color negative film? Or are there so many fudge factors with C41 that the impact of a perfectly color calibrated scanner is negligible?

bellows lugosi
Aug 9, 2003

that calibration is most useful if you're trying to create icc profiles for random printer/paper combos. i wouldn't use it for just scanning film/

theHUNGERian
Feb 23, 2006

bellows lugosi posted:

that calibration is most useful if you're trying to create icc profiles for random printer/paper combos. i wouldn't use it for just scanning film/

Got it, thanks.

alkanphel
Mar 24, 2004

theHUNGERian posted:

How do all y'all color calibrate your scanners? Is it even worth it? I see that the people from Silverfast sell color calibration transparencies. Will the resulting icc profile have any impact on color negative film? Or are there so many fudge factors with C41 that the impact of a perfectly color calibrated scanner is negligible?

I did color calibration for scanning E6 slides but I don’t think they should be used for C41. Those calibration targets let you scanner create a color profile that you apply when scanning the matching E6 film so it doesn’t make sense to use them for negatives.

theHUNGERian
Feb 23, 2006

alkanphel posted:

I did color calibration for scanning E6 slides but I don’t think they should be used for C41. Those calibration targets let you scanner create a color profile that you apply when scanning the matching E6 film so it doesn’t make sense to use them for negatives.

But shouldn't there be something for C41? The whole point of cal targets is to create a proper mapping between input and output. Is that not equally important in all color scans, positive or negative?

President Beep
Apr 30, 2009

Had some relatives visiting from out of town and they wanted to visit the same air museum that I was at the weekend before. Figured it'd be a good chance to try pushing HP5+ two stops. In the end, I think I do prefer this tack to Delta 3200 at box speed, but I did have a little more trouble with dynamic range and controlling contrast. Still though, seems like a good option. Definitely less grainy!

Had trouble maintaining detail in the lighter areas with the one below. Even a minor reduction in brightness would lead to lovely artifacting.

Helen Highwater
Feb 19, 2014

And furthermore
Grimey Drawer
I shoot quite a bit of Delta 3200 as it's my go to concert stock. It is very, very grainy, even on 120 film.

Wardruna07.jpg by Iain Compton, on Flickr

Wardruna09.jpg by Iain Compton, on Flickr

Vs 135

Spotmatic009.jpg by Iain Compton, on Flickr

Spotmatic003.jpg by Iain Compton, on Flickr

dupersaurus
Aug 1, 2012

Futurism was an art movement where dudes were all 'CARS ARE COOL AND THE PAST IS FOR CHUMPS. LET'S DRAW SOME CARS.'
I'm half-considering getting baby's first 120 camera. Is there really anything separating the plethora of TLRs in the $300 range? Is it worth is to spend a little more and get something like a RB67?

President Beep
Apr 30, 2009

I had a TLR for a while but decided I didn’t like the fixed focal length (plus the camera itself was a clapped-out POS) so I jumped to a Bronica 6x6 system. I’ve probably put $500 or so into the camera and a few lenses, so the cost does go up fast, but I didn’t want to drop hundreds of dollars on a good TLR. Just not worth the money to me.

Helen Highwater
Feb 19, 2014

And furthermore
Grimey Drawer
I loving love my Mamiya C3. The C series does have interchangeable lenses, and I do have a bunch of different focal lengths but almost all of my work with it is done at 80mm so not having other lenses for it wouldn't be a deal breaker. YMMV.

Your choice of MF camera shoudl probably be more informed by the form factor than anything else. If you're not sold on the TLR life then do you want something that feels like a honkin' huge 35mm camera (Pentacon 6/Kiev 60/GX690)? Do you want a brick that's completely modular (Hasselblad/Arax 88/Bronica)? Something that feels like an Instax (Mamiya Super 23 Press)?

VoodooXT
Feb 24, 2006
I want Tong Po! Give me Tong Po!
Bronicas are awesome and will give you just as much quality as a Hasselblad or Mamiya (GS-1 user here).

Ethics_Gradient
May 5, 2015

Common misconception that; that fun is relaxing. If it is, you're not doing it right.

Helen Highwater posted:

Your choice of MF camera shoudl probably be more informed by the form factor than anything else. If you're not sold on the TLR life then do you want something that feels like a honkin' huge 35mm camera (Pentacon 6/Kiev 60/GX690)? Do you want a brick that's completely modular (Hasselblad/Arax 88/Bronica)? Something that feels like an Instax (Mamiya Super 23 Press)?

Definitely. A TLR and an RB are not really cameras I'd cross-shop; the RB is really quite big and heavy even for an MF camera, whereas a TLR can generally fit into most camera bags as an extra "might as well bring it along" thing. Both good for their own thing (the RB more intentional studio work such as portraits, the TLR for street or landscapes) but very different cameras. There's no law against using an RB in the field, but if you handle one you'll see why most people don't.

President Beep posted:

I had a TLR for a while but decided I didn’t like the fixed focal length (plus the camera itself was a clapped-out POS) so I jumped to a Bronica 6x6 system. I’ve probably put $500 or so into the camera and a few lenses, so the cost does go up fast, but I didn’t want to drop hundreds of dollars on a good TLR. Just not worth the money to me.

This is also pretty solid advice: a cheap TLR is a good way to get into MF but aside from building a Mamiya C system I wouldn't say it's worth paying a premium for a "nice" one. You can probably still get a functioning TLR for under $100.

I'll also throw out the recommendation of a folder if you want portability; I've been eyeing a 6x9 like the Moskva for a while, but have too many cameras/project cameras ATM to justify buying one more. The Zeiss Super Ikonta's are also pretty good and probably what I'd be looking at if I was after a 6x6.

dupersaurus
Aug 1, 2012

Futurism was an art movement where dudes were all 'CARS ARE COOL AND THE PAST IS FOR CHUMPS. LET'S DRAW SOME CARS.'

Ethics_Gradient posted:

the RB is really quite big and heavy even for an MF camera, whereas a TLR can generally fit into most camera bags as an extra "might as well bring it along" thing.

ooooh I didn't realize they were that big, yeah good portability is a big factor. I glanced at the Ikonta and kinda discounted it, but I don't have experience with rangefinders or TLRs so it's not like I'm making informed decisions here. My get just went TLR since all of my experience is with reflex cameras.

Fixed normal lens is fine, I almost never take the 50 off of my 35mm

theHUNGERian
Feb 23, 2006

Obligatory PSA that TLRs are chick magnets. But my SLR has attracted a fair amount of hairy dudes asking "Is that a 'blad?"

Megabound
Oct 20, 2012

I love a TLR. The Minolta Autocord is stellar and you can still get them for cheap. I've also had a Mamiya C220 but they start getting to the size and weight were I'd rather just carry an SLR but it's definitely the cheapest way to get into a medium format system with interchangeable lenses.

In saying that I did recently get a Bronica S2 as my final 6x6 system and I'm loving it. It's a very well designed well considered camera, the lug placement and how it hangs on a strap is extremely nice. It's a great size too and the lenses are also really nice.

Helen Highwater
Feb 19, 2014

And furthermore
Grimey Drawer

theHUNGERian posted:

Obligatory PSA that TLRs are chick magnets. But my SLR has attracted a fair amount of hairy dudes asking "Is that a 'blad?"

My Moskva 5 folding 6x9 is amazing for street portraits. You say 'would it be ok if I took your picture?' while pushing the button that makes the whole thing unfold and people invariably say yes. Lovely huge negatives too.

Photowalk004-Edit.jpg by Iain Compton, on Flickr

LegioVlak003.jpg by Iain Compton, on Flickr

Moskva_Airshow004.jpg by Iain Compton, on Flickr

eggsovereasy
May 6, 2011

The Yashica D is a good TLR that isn't too expensive. I like that the focus and advance are on the same side of the camera so you don't have to juggle it between your hands like a rolleiflex.

I have a Bronica SQ-Ai + lenses and other poo poo I want to get rid of, if you're interested I could figure out a price and post in the buy/sell thread.

majour333
Mar 2, 2005

Mouthfart.
Fun Shoe

Fuckin yikes buddy

majour333 fucked around with this message at 01:33 on Dec 10, 2022

bellows lugosi
Aug 9, 2003

majour333 posted:

Fuckin yikes buddy

Too Many Birds
Jan 8, 2020

eggsovereasy
May 6, 2011

Insanite
Aug 30, 2005

majour333 posted:

Fuckin yikes buddy

:catstare:

Spedman
Mar 12, 2010

Kangaroos hate Hasselblads
That’s a spicy post

majour333
Mar 2, 2005

Mouthfart.
Fun Shoe

\
Are we the 'Bladdies?

Megabound
Oct 20, 2012

Is photographing Nazis on a Russian camera praxis? Seems not.

Ric
Nov 18, 2005

Apocalypse dude

Megabound posted:

Is photographing Nazis on a Russian camera praxis? Seems not.

Of course it is! To photograph Nazis, one must stand across from them. To photograph Russians, one would be standing with the Nazis.

President Beep
Apr 30, 2009

This goon doesn’t know about selfies… :laugh:

eggsovereasy
May 6, 2011

this is the only legal way to shoot a nazi

bobmarleysghost
Mar 7, 2006

Love to photograph the local nazi “cosplay” community, it’s just dudes in costume, totally kosher I swear, they’re not “real” nazis, they don’t even love hitler

Wild EEPROM
Jul 29, 2011

oh, my, god. Becky, look at her bitrate.

majour333 posted:

Fuckin yikes buddy

The Modern Sky
Aug 7, 2009

We don't exist in real life, but we're working hard in your delusions!

eggsovereasy posted:

this is the only legal way to shoot a nazi

:blastu:

ImplicitAssembler
Jan 24, 2013

You know, one click would reveal where it was shot

https://www.flickr.com/photos/requiel/albums/72157682335590703

Wild EEPROM
Jul 29, 2011

oh, my, god. Becky, look at her bitrate.
oh you should have said so, that makes it okay then

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Too Many Birds
Jan 8, 2020

i cosplay as a nazi. now i know what you are thinking. but consider this: i cosplay as a nazi at an airshow. i hope this distinction clarifies things.