Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

Arrath posted:

"Waiting to be built" is the key there. Until the well is built, they can't give them water.

You don't say :monocle:

I don't suppose you can tell me why nobody is building it

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

IcePhoenix posted:

update: it seems like they're stuck in a recursive loop of trying to give water to patients in the hospital (because monsters) and being unable to due to a lack of water source. Despite there being a well just waiting to be built right next to the hospital.

I'm not sure if this is also why they refuse to haul the corpses to the refuse pile but I am assuming so.
Is that water 1 z-level below where you want the well built? You can try making a "water source" zone at it for them to get the water from before the well is built. You can also try ensuring there's somebody who is not allowed to do the "take water to wounded" task and is allowed to do... masonry, I think? to build the well.

StarkRavingMad
Sep 27, 2001

Yams Fan

wilderthanmild posted:

Oh, I mentioned earlier that I found 4 dwarves really unhappy and it turned out to be 4 horrified kids playing make believe in the corpse stockpile.

It's much darker, it was those 4 dwarven children's mom's corpse. I didn't think to check this at the time.

Which might be why the 4 of them have never risen above the bottom 3 happiness levels since then.

If this release has taught me anything, it's that dwarven kids are really creepy. I also have three or four kids that love playing in the corpse pile. I also have a kid that constantly plays "make believe" on the traction table in the hospital. I don't even want to know what he's up to.

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

Zereth posted:

Is that water 1 z-level below where you want the well built? You can try making a "water source" zone at it for them to get the water from before the well is built. You can also try ensuring there's somebody who is not allowed to do the "take water to wounded" task and is allowed to do... masonry, I think? to build the well.

It's about 50 z levels below :v:

I just restarted from a previous save and was able to get them to build it but the corpse refuse thing is still not working. I select the corpse and give it the trash symbol and everyone just ignores it while it farts purple gas all over them for a week until it finally becomes bones. Feeling like it's a bug in the game at this point.

QuantaStarFire
May 18, 2006

Grimey Drawer
I finally got a decent fort going. A lot of it has been pretty uneventful so far, just building infrastructure and whatnot. One issue I was running into was getting dwarves to focus on the jobs I wanted them to. Most of them seemed like they'd rather haul or gather plants than build a workshop or install floodgates and levers or pretty much anything I actually wanted them to do. Even when all other tasks were verboten I'd still get dwarves who would do absolutely nothing at all like they were being all pouty and poo poo when all I wanted them to do was place a bed so they could have a place to sleep.

In any event, it's winter and I've breached the caverns, and am currently in the process of sealing them off and focusing on the magma pool I've found. My first major construction project is going to be setting up magma workshops. Hopefully nothing nasty comes up while I'm waiting for my hatches to finish construction.

Drakenel
Dec 2, 2008

The glow is a guide, my friend. Though it falls to you to avert catastrophe, you will never fight alone.
Lot of folks struggling with militia. Figured out how to strangle my screenshots into functioning, so let me help a little.

First step, besides 'have dwarves', is to go to the Nobles and Administrators section.

On the next screen you need to click on the + and assign a Militia Commander. Normally you start with a dwarf with some skill in a weapon, but it can be anyone you want to be ready to fight.

After that, you're free to right click out of the menu. After that, you need to click on the little banner icon in the bottom right corner. (or hit Q)

I currently have 3 squads, but the button you're looking for is Create Squad. It'll ask what uniform you want. I usually choose metal since its better to armor dwarves with whatever you have. (You don't have to have the armor immediately, but they'll equip it as you find or make it.)

You should have a squad made. To add more dwarves to the squad, you need to click on the little dwarf face next to the quill button. It'll likely have your commander as the first squad leader, but subsequent ones need to assign a leader. It'll tell you if anyone has weapon skills that make them good candidates. But sometimes you just need bodies. Don't be afraid to throw peasants or other useless skills in there. It'll keep asking for more up till you have ten, but right click anytime to quit adding.

Now how to train? First you need a room. And either an Armor Stand or a Weapon Rack Place the item in the room like so. (It doesn't really matter where.)

Next you're going to have to Designate the room as a Barracks. (click on the green square with a dwarf face at the bottom or hit 'z'.

Selecting barracks, click on one corner of the training area, and make a box over where you want them to train. Include the stand or rack within it. You should end up with the zone window looking like this on top.

From there, click on the banner icon with a plus inside of the button. A new window will pop up showing each squad and 4 buttons. If you want the squad to sleep there, you can click the bed button. But for the most part you want to ensure you have the axe button selected. (The other two is for storing things, if you want and have storage chests in the barracks) Your squad, if training, will now go there to train.

Sounds like you're ready, yes? Not quite! Lastly you need to set a Schedule. Go back to the squad menu and check the box on the right to select your squad. (Notice that the buttons above 'schedule' are how you tell your squad to attack certain targets, station at a specific spot, or tell them to patrol a burrow.) From here, we'll click on Schedule. Gotta set when they train, right?

From here, you'll have four options. The squad starts on Off Duty. Which means they'll stay civilians and do civilian things. Clicking the section (not the buttons!) will change it to which training regiment you want. Early on, its ok to do Staggered training, which does three months training, three months off duty, letting you get other work done. You can click View Monthly Schedule if you want to fine tune it.

Once you have them set on a training schedule... That's it! Your dwarves will automatically grab any equipment that falls under the uniform you set. Leather and Metal uniforms will automatically grab a melee weapon and any available armor of that type. Archer will try to find crossbows, leather, and any ammo you have in the barracks. Then they'll get training! You'll have mighty dwarven warriors in no time.

Good luck, everyone. And strike the earth!

Broken Cog
Dec 29, 2009

We're all friends here

:ohdear:

Edit: he was 2 years old. When he changed back into dwarf form he was immediately squashed by the mob of dwarves that came to help defend.

Broken Cog fucked around with this message at 09:20 on Dec 11, 2022

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

Drakenel posted:

Lot of folks struggling with militia. Figured out how to strangle my screenshots into functioning, so let me help a little.

I'm actually about to start kicking mine into high gear after having to deal with cavern monsters (fortunately I had a lot of visitors able to help me fend them off) so this is very appreciated, ty.

Broken Cog
Dec 29, 2009

We're all friends here
If I toss the corpses of dead dwarves into the passing river so they get swept off-map, is anyone gonna mind?

Dr. Clockwork
Sep 9, 2011

I'LL PUT MY SCIENCE IN ALL OF YOU!
I had someone die in my tavern, mysteriously drained of blood and 38 witnesses fingered a trader as the culprit. So I interrogated and convicted and my guard captain beat his rear end and put him in the hospital. When the vampire trader recovered he was free to go? His next victim was in the temple in front of 29 witnesses. Same thing, I convict him and the guard whips his rear end and he’s just set loose.

I had a dwarf get a solid month in a cage for starting a barfight but this nosferatu can just murder people in broad daylight with dozens of witnesses and all he gets is a literal slap?

Drakenel
Dec 2, 2008

The glow is a guide, my friend. Though it falls to you to avert catastrophe, you will never fight alone.

Dr. Clockwork posted:

I had someone die in my tavern, mysteriously drained of blood and 38 witnesses fingered a trader as the culprit. So I interrogated and convicted and my guard captain beat his rear end and put him in the hospital. When the vampire trader recovered he was free to go? His next victim was in the temple in front of 29 witnesses. Same thing, I convict him and the guard whips his rear end and he’s just set loose.

I had a dwarf get a solid month in a cage for starting a barfight but this nosferatu can just murder people in broad daylight with dozens of witnesses and all he gets is a literal slap?

dwarven justice is like dwarven organization and nobility. Stupid and inefficient.

Arrath
Apr 14, 2011

IcePhoenix posted:

Hard to say, beyond looking at your labor set up and tasks list

GODDAMN FOOL
Aug 23, 2005

DO NOT READ >>>
Started a new volcano fort, and on day 5 accidentally collapsed a piece of cavern on top of my miner right at the caldera, and his body got flung into the volcano. Of course, he was probably immediately vaporized, but the game followed his body down to the pits of hell anyway, revealing everything along the way. As a result, after discovering the caverns, I already have underlichen growing in my fort in Autumn Year 100

It's been many years since I've played; this is harmless, right? I know that mushroom trees might start growing on un-smoothed ground as well.

Probably the record for the fastest discovery of the underworld, though.

deep dish peat moss
Jul 27, 2006

IcePhoenix posted:

It's about 50 z levels below :v:

I just restarted from a previous save and was able to get them to build it but the corpse refuse thing is still not working. I select the corpse and give it the trash symbol and everyone just ignores it while it farts purple gas all over them for a week until it finally becomes bones. Feeling like it's a bug in the game at this point.

Sorry if I missed part of your posts on this but I have had luck hauling corpses by creating a Corpse-only stockpile (not Refuse) and then placing a Garbage Dump zone overlapping the corpse stockpile.

I think only one of those is strictly necessary and I don't know which but doing both got my corpses all cleaned up

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

This will make sure you don't suggest to the KDz
That he should grow greens instead of crushing on MCs

Grimey Drawer
My issues with militia is I cannot get my crossbow dwarves to pick up bolts and shoot at targets. They have quivers and crossbows but they are stuck in the barracks doing combat drills and never firing their bows. I have plenty of bolts but they just won't go pick them up.

Drakenel
Dec 2, 2008

Popete posted:

My issues with militia is I cannot get my crossbow dwarves to pick up bolts and shoot at targets. They have quivers and crossbows but they are stuck in the barracks doing combat drills and never firing their bows. I have plenty of bolts but they just won't go pick them up.

Do you have storage in the barracks? Is the barracks set to store ammo in it?

Ursine Catastrophe
Nov 9, 2009

It's a lovely morning in the void and you are a horrible lady-in-waiting.

don't ask how i know

Dinosaur Gum

IcePhoenix posted:

I'm not sure if this is also why they refuse to haul the corpses to the refuse pile but I am assuming so.

One of The Mistakes I apparently made making a refuse pit was taking the face-value advice of digging a 1x1 hole and putting a 1x1 garbage zone over it, which apparently doesn't work-- the zone apparently also has to include a standable tile next to the zone for refuse-corpse-dropping to trigger properly

Ursine Catastrophe
Nov 9, 2009

don't ask how i know

Dinosaur Gum

wilderthanmild posted:

Oh, I mentioned earlier that I found 4 dwarves really unhappy and it turned out to be 4 horrified kids playing make believe in the corpse stockpile.

It's much darker, it was those 4 dwarven children's mom's corpse. I didn't think to check this at the time.

Which might be why the 4 of them have never risen above the bottom 3 happiness levels since then.

I've got similarly-traumatized kids from...being caught in the rain on the way in when their migration group came in

hilariously I had my first experience with magma crabs today

the first two were killed outside of my view with no visible injuries by a kid, so when one came further up towards my base I wasn't super concerned when I sent my militia commander out after it

it promptly blew up in his face and while he managed to kill it, he dragged his bleeding broken body halfway down the main throughfare before bleeding out

dwarf kids are scary

kdrudy
Sep 19, 2009

I keep getting humans showing up to steal my artifacts and promptly getting murdered by whichever squad is around.

Also, still working on getting that Dingo Man bard to do something interesting.

Cup Runneth Over
Aug 8, 2009

She said life's
Too short to worry
Life's too long to wait
It's too short
Not to love everybody
Life's too long to hate

IcePhoenix posted:

It seems to be low-priority or something. Took ages for mine to get built too.

Ursine Catastrophe
Nov 9, 2009

don't ask how i know

Dinosaur Gum

IcePhoenix posted:

Making a custom labor role for "just build poo poo" and assigning people to do it explicitly can hurry things up in a pinch

you probably want to have one anyways for those emergency "oh gently caress this wall needs to get built immediately" situations

Ursine Catastrophe fucked around with this message at 09:53 on Dec 11, 2022

Drakenel
Dec 2, 2008

IcePhoenix posted:

I'm actually about to start kicking mine into high gear after having to deal with cavern monsters (fortunately I had a lot of visitors able to help me fend them off) so this is very appreciated, ty.

If it helps one person, I'm happy.

Also finding greater appreciation for LPers. This stuff would drive me nuts on the scale they do it.

Arrath
Apr 14, 2011

Dr. Clockwork posted:

Lmao that's hilarious though

Feliday Melody
May 8, 2021

Dr. Clockwork posted:

You said that he was a trader. Is he perhaps rich?

GODDAMN FOOL
Aug 23, 2005

DO NOT READ >>>
Anyone figure out how to select all available items when placing constructions yet, like pushing shift-enter, instead of having to click on 'Cherry logs' 95 times?

SSJ_naruto_2003
Oct 12, 2012

Re:marks dwarves. It's a bug in that you can't assign a bolt type to dwarves BUT the default ranger squad uniform does pick up bolts. So just don't delete that. If you did, guess you're hosed.

SSJ_naruto_2003
Oct 12, 2012

GODDAMN FOOL posted:

Anyone figure out how to select all available items when placing constructions yet, like pushing shift-enter, instead of having to click on 'Cherry logs' 95 times?

Wait for a mod, or the official fix, or use auto hotkey to click

GODDAMN FOOL
Aug 23, 2005

DO NOT READ >>>

SSJ_naruto_2003 posted:

Wait for a mod, or the official fix, or use auto hotkey to click

turbo mode baybeeee

junan_paalla
Dec 29, 2009

Seriously, do drugs
Is it normal that hunted boars start vomiting uncontrollably after getting shot? It's making my huntsdwarf's life very easy, I'm just a little concerned.

GODDAMN FOOL
Aug 23, 2005

DO NOT READ >>>

junan_paalla posted:

Is it normal that hunted boars start vomiting uncontrollably after getting shot? It's making my huntsdwarf's life very easy, I'm just a little concerned.

must be really good at just slamming those arrows straight into those stupid pigs' stomachs

toasterwarrior
Nov 11, 2011
Man, I really need to get over myself when it comes to mineral veins blowing up the layout of my fortress, I never get anywhere because of me getting all fussy over it.

Danaru
Jun 5, 2012

何 ??
A bunch of my soldiers keep dwelling on seeing the corpse of a kobold from seasons ago and letting it ruin their moods, and I'm like my brother in Armok you killed the kobold

fermun
Nov 4, 2009

This fort has 84 dwarves, do you know how many eyes we outnumber you by?????

He is like little baby

I had a brief moment of scare when my militia commander (who is a necromancer)'s first decision to defend the fort was to raise a zombie bunny and zombie ewe who immediately attacked his own squad prior to the cyclops getting into engagement range, but those got dealt with and I killed the cyclops without any of my militia even getting a single scratch from either the two zombie animals or the cyclops.

Drakenel
Dec 2, 2008

fermun posted:

I had a brief moment of scare when my militia commander (who is a necromancer)'s first decision to defend the fort was to raise a zombie bunny and zombie ewe who immediately attacked his own squad prior to the cyclops getting into engagement range, but those got dealt with and I killed the cyclops without any of my militia even getting a single scratch from either the two zombie animals or the cyclops.

For masters of the dark arts, necromancers sure are derpy at times. I don't know if it still happens, but I remember when intelligent undead were first introduced, they always kept the same loyalty that had before hand. This led to some amusing moments where one of my dwarfs would get slain during an undead siege, get raised as a special undead by an attacking necromancer... and the freshly raised dwarf would immediately turn around and maul the necromancer. Like, what was he expecting?

Dark Off
Aug 14, 2015

my merchant werehorse champion just died
he was replaced by

unfortunately shoe champions life was short-lived as somehow after being dead for month the merchant resurrected.

also magic users are popping into fort now.

blood for blood god.

Nettle Soup
Jan 30, 2010

Oh, and Jones was there too.

So, not long after the last fall, when my 13 migrants arrived to rescue the child and the mayor from their cages, a small team of elves turned up. They killed a couple of people, but by that point I had recruited 40+ bards, and they were driven off.

A little while after that, this turned up.

"Welp, we're hosed", says everyone. They have girrafes and tigers and bears, how can we compete with that.

Then their friends turn up!

"Welp we're double hosed", says everyone, "We dont even have gates."

"Everything on this list below this point is invaders" some poor sod reports back, as half the fort crams themselves into a poorly designed burrow, and the other half ignore orders entirely. "I can't even see what's going on out there."

"Where's the mayor?" somebody asks, and there's a brief russle of papers, before, "We've locked him in the burrow this time."

The kid from before stands up, "nah, we got this."

I can't see what actually happened, because compat reports are both rear end and no longer real time, but somehow they all got driven off, somehow, I have no idea how, leaving behind two prisoners, as well as two war bears and a war giraffe for me to tame.

For a while I had a population of 91 and only four people I could actually assign jobs to, because the rest were all bards and children. I'm up to 125 now, and I actually have everyone entombed that needs it and is accessible, and am working on memorial stones for the rest! Both the mayor and the kid are still alive. The mayor actually got the last kill on the last elf of this invasion.

Next step, steel armour and silk farms!

I think everything has been improved by the fact I had the bug where the traders never leave. This meant they couldn't report back to the mountainhome, and migrants keep on coming. God help 'em.

Nettle Soup fucked around with this message at 11:29 on Dec 11, 2022

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

Obviously the child conned the animals into slaying elfs.

Quinton
Apr 25, 2004

My Militia Commander was taken by a Strange Mood, whereupon she commandeered a metalsmith's forge and proceeded to craft a very fancy copper crossbow. Afterwards she went to the temple to meditate on death. I'm not sure if this should be cause for worry or not...

Quinton
Apr 25, 2004

SSJ_naruto_2003 posted:

Re:marks dwarves. It's a bug in that you can't assign a bolt type to dwarves BUT the default ranger squad uniform does pick up bolts. So just don't delete that. If you did, guess you're hosed.

I tried picking the default ranger uniform and then manually overriding the armor bits to 'metal' (since I have copper armor a plenty).

Are marksdwarves supposed to pick up and consume bolts while training?

Should the archery range be within the barracks or just nearby? Or do I need one at all?

So far I have not had much luck militia-ing...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BlankSystemDaemon
Mar 13, 2009

I finally got around to figuring out how much easier minecarts are now (a lot easier!), and it only involved turning a single dorf into red mist before I fixed it. :byoscience:

Jazerus posted:

work orders are pretty simple

if you just want a one-time order of a pile of things, use the default order.

if you want a constant supply, but not oversupply, of things, use the first suggested condition in the conditions screen - make x when there is less than 10 of x available.

if you want a workshop to work on one thing forever, click on the clock icon on the conditions screen and it'll switch to "restart if finished, check daily" which is dwarf fortress speak for "forever". this is more resilient than a perpetual task and will restart if interrupted once the materials are available or the goblin thief is dead or whatever. these are good for tasks like milking, shearing, cheesemaking, etc.
I knew about conditionals, but hadn't noticed the clock icon - that seems exceptionally useful for brew drink from plants because if you make it a repeat order at a workshop, it'll go away once the seeds run out.