Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Should I step down as head of twitter
This poll is closed.
Yes 420 4.43%
No 69 0.73%
Goku 9001 94.85%
Total: 9490 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

Mx. posted:

it's a slippery slope until i start calling for the deaths of right-handed people and you know it

I wouldn't blame you, right-handed people have killed a lot more people than left-handed people, I think we all know that

it's because lefties are weak, in body and spirit

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Buce
Dec 23, 2005

Seth Pecksniff posted:

They joke but

welp,

DeeplyConcerned
Apr 29, 2008

I can fit 3 whole bud light cans now, ask me how!
however, if you're posting that ivermectin will give your coat a beautiful shine that's not disinformation.

lifetime supply of Pocky
Aug 19, 2003

lol imagine being pro-horse paste and thinking your thoughts have any value anywhere

sweet geek swag
Mar 29, 2006

Adjust lasers to FUN!

DeeplyConcerned posted:

however, if you're posting that ivermectin will give your coat a beautiful shine that's not disinformation.

I don't think taking Ivermectin would make any difference for my winter coat.

DeeplyConcerned
Apr 29, 2008

I can fit 3 whole bud light cans now, ask me how!

sweet geek swag posted:

sorry, I thought everyone else here was a horse spending their day running through the fields.

Buce
Dec 23, 2005

sweet geek swag posted:

horse paste is like mink oil. You’re supposed to rub it on the coat, you dunce.

sweet geek swag
Mar 29, 2006

Adjust lasers to FUN!

DeeplyConcerned posted:

sorry, I thought everyone else here was a horse spending their day running through the fields.

Ah, so we've finally found Mike Pence's SA account.

Ups_rail
Dec 8, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

CuwiKhons posted:

Even getting into "I'm not attracted to black/asian/hispanic men or women" isn't technically hate speech, just outing yourself as a racist, which you're certainly entitled to do.

And calling for the execution of the 1% or nazis is morally correct but legally dubious, which is why it gets moderated on these forums. Calling for death to Jews is not only morally incorrect but also legally dubious and is moderated the same.

Honestly you make a good point. But again you d need a huge treaties on what is and isnt moral. I grew up in a loving cult, and the poo poo they told me in the early 90's still fucks with me.

Like the dating thing is it free speech for person to say they only want to date people who are above certain hight, or below a certain weight? Cause There are a bunch of incels ready to cry about that poo poo all day long. gently caress thats basically hate "speech adjacent" or again dog whistling.

as for horse paste. I dont have my ebsco host login at the moment but what if I was able to find you a peer reviewed journal article/study that showed

horse paste treats covid but doesnt prevent it

horse paste does not treat covid/ or prevent it

horse paste effectiness is inconclusive

gently caress what if I can give you all of the above? Well then people can just chose which ever study support their biases at which point "disinformation" loses all meaning.

bonus story one of the ladies at my office her mom loving bought the drat horse past, then put the loving tub in her mouth to get herself a dose, the punger was stuck and then boom unstuck and she basically OD on the horse paste, survived but it hosed her up

Treecko posted:

Watch out you gonna get banned

I m not gonna get banned for stating that moderation is loving hard.

To put a finer point on it, absent very clear rules, guidelines, equal applicaiton etc which again is really loving hard people will assume that they are being censored for expressing opinions.

sugar free jazz
Mar 5, 2008

Ups_rail posted:

Honestly you make a good point. But again you d need a huge treaties on what is and isnt moral. I grew up in a loving cult, and the poo poo they told me in the early 90's still fucks with me.

Like the dating thing is it free speech for person to say they only want to date people who are above certain hight, or below a certain weight? Cause There are a bunch of incels ready to cry about that poo poo all day long. gently caress thats basically hate "speech adjacent" or again dog whistling.

as for horse paste. I dont have my ebsco host login at the moment but what if I was able to find you a peer reviewed journal article/study that showed

gently caress what if I can give you all of the above? Well then people can just chose which ever study support their biases at which point "disinformation" loses all meaning.

bonus story one of the ladies at my office her mom loving bought the drat horse past, then put the loving tub in her mouth to get herself a dose, the punger was stuck and then boom unstuck and she basically OD on the horse paste, survived but it hosed her up

To put a finer point on it, absent very clear rules, guidelines, equal applicaiton etc which again is really loving hard people will assume that they are being censored for expressing opinions.

lol

MrQwerty
Apr 15, 2003

LOVE IS BEAUTIFUL
(づ ̄ ³ ̄)づ♥(‘∀’●)

I didn't see a derail about the efficacy of ivermectin in the treatment of COVID-19 coming

BrutalistMcDonalds
Oct 4, 2012

Lipstick Apathy
i believe in leaving people alone with the decisions about who to/not to date even if it's for dubious or even prejudiced reasons because that's such a personal decision involving their autonomy and so on. it gets weird if that's all someone wants to post about though

CaptainSarcastic
Jul 6, 2013

Ups_rail posted:

As a mod you should know that this is harder than it sounds. Because those terms are not "codified" and if they were, people would just dog whistle, or go up to the rules. So the defacto results are you shutting down hate speech when a person says "I dont support gay marriage" or are you shutting them down for an opinion?

Is it "disinformation" to provide information regarding horse medication that can be bought at tractor supply to fight covid?

or is it "disinformation" to provide information of horse medication that can be bought at tractor supply to induce abortion?

To break it down along gender/sexual lines is it bigotry for someone to say they are not attracted to men? is it bigotry for someone to say they are not attracted women?

Also the great challenge I see for moderation here and any where is the issue of not just punching down but punching in general, is calling for blood lust on the 1% okay? what about calling for blood lust on criminals? nazis? facists? liberals? monderates? and the right handed?

No, we aren't talking about judgement calls here. We're talking about anti-vaxxers, election denialists, targeting of LGBTQ people, and racism. This is not some handwavy "who can tell what is right?" thing. That they allowed so much as they did, and how much Elmo seems happy about allowing now, is the clearly bad thing.

Mx.
Dec 16, 2006

I'm a great fan! When I watch TV I'm always saying "That's political correctness gone mad!"
Why thankyew!

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon

Ups_rail posted:

It's really, really not. Dating a specific individual is not a human right, and anyone is allowed to turn down anyone for any reason they want. Full stop.

Someone who says they would never date a black person or a bi person or whatever probably has other views about what minorities should be allowed to do, but it's only those other views that are the problem.

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

Ups_rail posted:

lmao come on you're seriously trying to argue that the existence of conflicting results in publications means that "disinformation" is impossible to identify, but that is not at all the case. You're very fuckin' dumb if this is really your opinion, like even dumber than the person in your story who overdosed on horse medication. Double lmao at trying to claim that sexual preference is a form of hate speech, holy gently caress

Some rear end in a top hat on the street corner is screaming that Bill Gates is trying to inject microchips into children with the covid vaccine so that it's easier to harvest their adrenochrome, and after watching them you're saying "this is valid and valuable information".

The Saddest Rhino
Apr 29, 2009

Put it all together.
Solve the world.
One conversation at a time.

Ups_rail posted:

Fascinating.

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

QuarkJets posted:

lmao come on you're seriously trying to argue that the existence of conflicting results in publications means that "disinformation" is impossible to identify, but that is not at all the case. You're very fuckin' dumb if this is really your opinion, like even dumber than the person in your story who overdosed on horse medication. Double lmao at trying to claim that sexual preference is a form of hate speech, holy gently caress

Some rear end in a top hat on the street corner is screaming that Bill Gates is trying to inject microchips into children with the covid vaccine so that it's easier to harvest their adrenochrome, and after watching them you're saying "this is valid and valuable information".
I think you're oversimplifying the situation to dismiss the challenges of having an actual consistent policy.

Yes horse paste thing is stupid but if you want an actual policy you have to clearly define it somehow or you're going to end up in the same situation the next time where one side always ends up screaming about censorship.

Let's say there's a paper claiming that injecting bleach is good and cures covid. Can you tweet about this great new finding? Does twitter review the paper first? How do they evaluate the credibility of the author, do they need a certain number of published articles or citations? Is this "disinformation" until how many studies can replicate the results? Do we need a meta-analysis before you're allowed to :justpost:?

We can't even manage to have sensible standards on this dead forum of 1,000 posters or whatever. You can't say the c-word but openly cheering for posters and their relatives to freeze to death is "just politics" and "words can't hurt you just log off" apparently.

Ups_rail
Dec 8, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

QuarkJets posted:

I m about to go to bed but your using abusive language at me is rude I m gonna ask you politely to apologize.

Also I think your doing what's called a strawman. I said nothing about microchips bill gates or adrenochrome I didn't even mention stupid news sites.

I directly said peer reviewed journal/studies and possed the issue of concensus.

What I think your doing besides strawmaning me to say poo poo I didn't say is playing Jordan Peterson tier game with rhetoric using conspiracy theory in place of disinformation so please define the term disinformation.

Unlucky7
Jul 11, 2006

Fallen Rib

Ups_rail posted:

I m about to go to bed but your using abusive language at me is rude I m gonna ask you politely to apologize.

Also I think your doing what's called a strawman. I said nothing about microchips bill gates or adrenochrome I didn't even mention stupid news sites.

I directly said peer reviewed journal/studies and possed the issue of concensus.

What I think your doing besides strawmaning me to say poo poo I didn't say is playing Jordan Peterson tier game with rhetoric using conspiracy theory in place of disinformation so please define the term disinformation.

lol

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!
Wait if all this is just a round about way to defend the stupid horse medicine poo poo why aren’t you in the Covid thread.

It wouldn’t go any better there but at least it makes sense

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

Ups_rail posted:

What I think your doing besides strawmaning me to say poo poo I didn't say is playing Jordan Peterson tier gam with rhetoric using conspiracy theory in place of disinformation so please define the term disinformation.

I will never apologize to antivaxxers or their extremely gullible defenders :shrug:

Mx.
Dec 16, 2006

I'm a great fan! When I watch TV I'm always saying "That's political correctness gone mad!"
Why thankyew!

Ups_rail posted:

hey op your very fuckin dumb hth

keep punching joe
Jan 22, 2006

Die Satan!
$11 a month and you still need to look at ads lmao

Drone_Fragger
May 9, 2007

Actually ivermectin was shown to help in a few niche cases, those cases being you were infected with horse tapeworms or hookworms and hence killing the parasites would let your immune system recover from the parasite load to attack the covid.

Antiparasite medicine otherwise has no mechanism of action on viruses, and claiming it did is like admitting you're full of tapeworms because you cant cook and dont wash your hands after you poo poo.

Halisnacks
Jul 18, 2009
It’s come up multiple times in this thread that the Twitter employees on H1-B visas are essentially indentured servants and their continuing to work for Elon is not an endorsement of their working conditions or direction the company is going.

I get that it won’t be as easy for them to just up and change jobs as American employees, but do they really not have the agency to leave? Is the tech job market so shaky right now that an engineer/developer at a Big(ish) Tech company would not be able to land a job given a few months? I know there have been a load of layoffs in the tech sector recently but my understanding is these have primarily been general & administrative and sales & marketing roles.

Kingo Ligma
Aug 24, 2019

Ask me about calling people racist because I failed geography.
Nah, outrail is right, most mods ARE dumb as gently caress so that kind of confusion tracks.

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

Maybe they actually have left and there's just some pillows with business shirts on them positioned in the office chairs.

fizzy
Dec 2, 2022

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Ups_rail posted:

As a mod you should know that this is harder than it sounds. Because those terms are not "codified" and if they were, people would just dog whistle, or go up to the rules. So the defacto results are you shutting down hate speech when a person says "I dont support gay marriage" or are you shutting them down for an opinion?

Is it "disinformation" to provide information regarding horse medication that can be bought at tractor supply to fight covid?

or is it "disinformation" to provide information of horse medication that can be bought at tractor supply to induce abortion?

To break it down along gender/sexual lines is it bigotry for someone to say they are not attracted to men? is it bigotry for someone to say they are not attracted women?

Also the great challenge I see for moderation here and any where is the issue of not just punching down but punching in general, is calling for blood lust on the 1% okay? what about calling for blood lust on criminals? nazis? facists? liberals? monderates? and the right handed?

Looking into it.

thin blue whine
Feb 21, 2004
PLEASE SEE POLICY

Soiled Meat

Ups_rail posted:

lol

god please help me
Jul 9, 2018
I LOVE GIVING MY TAX MONEY AND MY PERSONAL INCOME TO UKRAINE, SLAVA

Halisnacks posted:

It’s come up multiple times in this thread that the Twitter employees on H1-B visas are essentially indentured servants and their continuing to work for Elon is not an endorsement of their working conditions or direction the company is going.

I get that it won’t be as easy for them to just up and change jobs as American employees, but do they really not have the agency to leave? Is the tech job market so shaky right now that an engineer/developer at a Big(ish) Tech company would not be able to land a job given a few months? I know there have been a load of layoffs in the tech sector recently but my understanding is these have primarily been general & administrative and sales & marketing roles.

Do only certain jobs qualify to give employees h1-b visas? It might suck, but honestly doing a stint in retail during holiday season sounds like it'd still be better than working underneath Elon. Just until they can find another coding job.

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon
I'm no expert, but from what I've gathered the other times it's come up, a lot of visas require getting a job within your field, not just any job, and H1-B specifically involve a fair amount of paperwork on the employer's side.

If it were simple, the 60 day deadline wouldn't be as punitive as it is. Probably doesn't help that you're competing for what few openings there are with everyone else who also wants to get the hell away from Elon.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

Seth Pecksniff posted:

They joke but

"Hitler feeling increasingly isolated and alone" - Beatrice Haberman

Kingo Ligma
Aug 24, 2019

Ask me about calling people racist because I failed geography.
People really don't understand how hard it is to immigrate most places. In a previous life I worked for immigration (not America but a western country) and having a look it appears the requirements are similar to what ours were:

-You need a job offer
-it has to be skilled work (there's a list of job types and whether management positions are skilled is certainly debatable but you can absolutely rule out retail, hospitality, customer service etc)
-you have to have relevant qualifications and experience, at least a bachelor's degree in most cases so you can't move into just any skilled work
-this is the kicker: the company have to prove they have attempted to recruit locally and cannot find any Americans to fill the role. This can be hard as gently caress to do, especially for smaller companies. There are some industries/positions where the government officially recognises an ongoing shortage but that really just changes the paperwork and evidence the employer has to provide.

So no, Leon's slaves, who are now locked in the compound working 25 hours a day and absolutely will be fired if they're caught looking for other employment, can't go down to Walgreens and stock shelves instead.

For most of them this will be the culmination of their life's work and their only shot at living somewhere they believe has more opportunity than where they came from. There's a high chance they're also sending significant amounts of money home to provide a much better life and opportunities for relatives and friends.

When you weigh all the against Musk's bullshit, the only thing you should feel towards the employees trapped there is sympathy.

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

from hell's heart I cast at thee
🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

Ups_rail posted:

This is stupid and you're stupid. There is a huge difference between "wide selection of peer reviewed studies say A and single study thats been eviscerated for lovely test procedure and thoroughly debunked says B" and something like twitter can definitely hire someone, or rather a pool of someones, who can tell the difference or at least know who to call to tell the difference.

god please help me
Jul 9, 2018
I LOVE GIVING MY TAX MONEY AND MY PERSONAL INCOME TO UKRAINE, SLAVA

Kingo Ligma posted:

When you weigh all the against Musk's bullshit, the only thing you should feel towards the employees trapped there is sympathy.

That's what I do feel, and I hope I didn’t sound like I was victim blaming. I appreciate the write up over the sheer detail of how hard immigrating is, can only hope for the best for the employees at this rate. :smithfrog:

Halisnacks
Jul 18, 2009
I certainly do feel sympathy for immigrants (or anyone) who has to work for Elon for lack of better options. But I also have a lot of non-American US-based people in my network who have changed jobs as they pleased over the years, who worked at companies with less name recognition than Twitter, so I assumed “when there’s a will, there’s a way”.

… That was before 2022, though, so I take it the (tech) labour market has rapidly shifted in favour of companies in the last half year or so.

Edmund Sparkler
Jul 4, 2003
For twelve years, you have been asking: Who is John Galt? This is John Galt speaking. I am the man who loves his life. I am the man who does not sacrifice his love or his values. I am the man who has deprived you of victims and thus has destroyed your world, and if you wish to know why you are peris

This Elon Musk guy kinda sucks!

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar

Splicer posted:

This is stupid and you're stupid. There is a huge difference between "wide selection of peer reviewed studies say A and single study thats been eviscerated for lovely test procedure and thoroughly debunked says B" and something like twitter can definitely hire someone, or rather a pool of someones, who can tell the difference or at least know who to call to tell the difference.

But if we assume all things are equal and there is no difference between people fighting for equality and literal nazis, then Twitter comes off looking very bad.

I am very smart.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sad question
May 30, 2020

I support the moon flight because I want to see how quickly they recreate airlock scene from Avenue 5.