Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Al-Saqr
Nov 11, 2007

One Day I Will Return To Your Side.
Also the symbols thing is not hard at all just say 6 - 3 - 2 - 1 or whatever

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

moths
Aug 25, 2004

I would also still appreciate some danger.

The only thing that might make sense is if they were initially future-proofing for a return to 54mm kill-team.

Which, with 3D printing, might be more viable than they think or want.

Siivola
Dec 23, 2012

moths posted:

The symbols thing is, I think, to differentiate it from Saga. Which is a historical wargame that it also borrowed list building from.
Ohhh the wonky combo ruler finally makes sense. Saga's 1" and 2" rulers are so much worse in comparison.

with a rebel yell she QQd
Jan 18, 2007

Villain

After flirting with it for a while, I bought a full Eldar Epic army. There is a very small community here, but I think I will enjoy painting more than playing, as usual.
Will post some photos later.

JcDent
May 13, 2013

Give me a rifle, one round, and point me at Berlin!
The symbols are dumb and non-intuitive in any way.

Outside of that, I am mad about how there's no mechanical incentive to take like laspistols and chainswords when you have plasma and power stuff, which cost the same (nothing) and are just superior in all ways.

Then I'm irritated with stuff how Marines are armed with <gun> and Fists. Oooh, great, the Angels of Death, humanity's greatest warriors, don't even get a knife and a pistol. I can aaalmost forgive grenades not being standard kit...

And ofc, I'd love a non-Compendium, model-supported Smoll Marine kill team, but that's never happening.

Outside of that, it's in all ways better than KT1. I preordered that book and was immediately pissed off by campaign rules just revolving around meaningless point pools. After playing it a couple of times with people I like to play games with the most, I just dropped it. Shadow War was jank and I was always losing, but it was fun.

Al-Saqr
Nov 11, 2007

big review of the new kill team cards:-

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G2HgjHU3Y38

it's actually robustly new stuff! there's alot of small changes

the card size is Tarot sized, not normal card sized

it contains all the rules, once you have the card deck you dont need the core rulebook anymre

the game now officially gets you +1 CP by default, so now you get 4 CP instead of 3

the game has big deployment changes, now if you want you can split your kill team into three GROUPS and alternate deploying the GROUPS instead of alternating the individual fighters. (Jesus Christ FInally, I really prefer this over one-by-one)

the cards include new TaCops and 3 new missions

You can only take ONE faction tacops into your deck.

new scouting options

Warhammer Community will now be releasing FREE Into the Dark missions

Costs 32 dollars american

overall a decent card pack, I already Pre-Ordered!

Siivola
Dec 23, 2012

Neat! Well y'all have fun with Kill Team 2023.

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN
I don't like how they're tarot sized as I don't know where to get card sleeves that size

Al-Saqr
Nov 11, 2007

Spanish Manlove posted:

I don't like how they're tarot sized as I don't know where to get card sleeves that size

Amazon

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN

Oh word

Muir
Sep 27, 2005

that's Doctor Brain to you
GW’s embargo is up today, so all the reviewers who got advance copies have their Underworlds info out for Looncourt and Fearsome Fortress: https://pathtoglorypodcast.com/grinkraks-looncourt/

Siivola
Dec 23, 2012

Spanish Manlove posted:

Arcane Tinmen makes some. They're the company that makes Dragon Shields, so they might be available where those are sold.

Legit Businessman
Sep 2, 2007

Spanish Manlove posted:

https://www.fantasyflightgames.com/en/products/fantasy-flight-supply/products/tarot-card-sleeves/#:~:text=50%20sleeves%20per%20package.,(70%20x%20120%20MM).

There are a few but I think ffg makes decent sleeves.

Muir
Sep 27, 2005

As an obsessive board game sleever, my preferred brand is Sleeve Kings. Thick enough to feel sturdy but not so thick that they take up a bunch of room or slide off a pile.

thebardyspoon
Jun 30, 2005
If stuff is on back order everywhere, including the GW website, that means it's out right now and should be back right? Cause they put "no longer available" on stuff that is properly gone for good? Just unsure cause other stuff I've tried to acquire in the past from other companies, they weren't the most diligent about keeping that sort of info accurate and obviously the third party websites are just gonna report on their own stock I guess?

Just asking cause one of my friends wants to get into Necromunda and play it together as an aside to regular 40k and the Hive War starter box seems like the best option for what we want since he would wanna play the Delaque, I'd wanna play Escher and it comes with some terrain and all the other gubbins. It's "on back order" everywhere though and I'm not sure if that's just a right now situation or long term cause it came out in June 2021.

thebardyspoon fucked around with this message at 20:22 on Dec 10, 2022

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

a specific vein of lasagna

Siivola posted:

Neat! Well y'all have fun with Kill Team 2023.

Hell yeah, i will. Sad you can't play your game any more.

Siivola
Dec 23, 2012

Bottom Liner posted:

Hell yeah, i will. Sad you can't play your game any more.
Eh, at least I got some games in. Never did manage to build any Nazis for Bolt Action 1, let alone play it.

Al-Saqr
Nov 11, 2007

Wait why would you stop playing kill team? The new cards only tweak stuff a little, it isn’t mandatory.

moths
Aug 25, 2004

I would also still appreciate some danger.

Also even if they did, the cards are going to be leaked and printable.

Siivola
Dec 23, 2012

It's a $30 season pass and that's horse poo poo.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

a specific vein of lasagna
It's a physical game. You can still play the game with everything you bought as you always did. If you play somewhere with other people that have the new stuff just tell them you don't and will use proxies or whatever. No one will give a poo poo unless you're playing at GW headquarters.

These are living games and I am glad they get continued support and development, otherwise we'd still be in the era of 4 AP Custodes teams with 99% win rate.

Robert Facepalmer
Jan 10, 2019

thebardyspoon posted:

If stuff is on back order everywhere, including the GW website, that means it's out right now and should be back right? Cause they put "no longer available" on stuff that is properly gone for good? Just unsure cause other stuff I've tried to acquire in the past from other companies, they weren't the most diligent about keeping that sort of info accurate and obviously the third party websites are just gonna report on their own stock I guess?

Just asking cause one of my friends wants to get into Necromunda and play it together as an aside to regular 40k and the Hive War starter box seems like the best option for what we want since he would wanna play the Delaque, I'd wanna play Escher and it comes with some terrain and all the other gubbins. It's "on back order" everywhere though and I'm not sure if that's just a right now situation or long term cause it came out in June 2021.

No longer available could be it is gone forever or they are changing the trade dress (they never reuse bar codes, so if they change a box <hello tenth edition!> that code is dead to the system). Could also be a fat-finger on the code status as well. Catachan Command was NLA a couple weeks ago, but is Temporarily Out Of Stock now.

Hive War appears to be in stock on the GW site in the english-speaking territories I scanned through, but I can't imagine it is high on the list of things to reprint since that box is a heckin' chonker.

thebardyspoon
Jun 30, 2005
Yeah that was my worry with stuff like Shadowvaults almost immediately selling out and things like that, figured if it's been out that long then it might not get reprinted much anymore.

It definitely isn't currently in stock in the UK and I'd prefer not to faff about with ordering from another country right now. Maybe I'll just try and order it from a third party place that says "available for back order" and see what happens then.

thebardyspoon fucked around with this message at 22:26 on Dec 10, 2022

Muir
Sep 27, 2005

thebardyspoon posted:

Yeah that was my worry with stuff like Shadowvaults almost immediately selling out and things like that, figured if it's been out that long then it might not get reprinted much anymore.

It definitely isn't currently in stock in the UK and I'd prefer not to faff about with ordering from another country right now. Maybe I'll just try and order it from a third party place that says "available for back order" and see what happens then.

I'm seeing Hive War in stock on Amazon both in US and UK.

Legit Businessman
Sep 2, 2007

Siivola posted:

That's a crazy over reaction considering the text of the cards literally on the review of the item (if you look at glass half dead yt review).

No one is forcing you to pay the money to gets these cards, when cheap as free alternatives exist, or are to exist in literal days after this hits the streets.

Recite the catechism of calming the gently caress down:

Gee-dubs has released another product,
I am not compelled to purchase it,
The Emperor stands beside me,
Holding the pursestrings,
I shall not want.

Al-Saqr
Nov 11, 2007

Siivola posted:

Dude this is an insane overreaction you have the core game and rules you can play the game 100% fine till the cows come home the card pack is just some tweaks and new options and a handier way to have the rules, missions and setup options with you when going around, the only reason I’m getting it is so that I don’t have to take the rulebook anywhere with me anymore, they didn’t change any data cards or anything like that. Chill.

This is like saying you can’t play monopoly anymore because Hasbro released an optional pack of cards with some additional stuff and the rules on it.

Siivola
Dec 23, 2012

Honestly I’m also already done with the errata roulette that adds in and takes out entire rules for no apparent reason. I can’t keep up on how vantage points work this month. I would've grumbled if this scoring update had been a free pdf release. Sure I can play with Wahapedia open, but I play taböetop games so I have some excuse to put my phone down for a couple of hours.

It's not a minor update either. Going from three faction tac ops to one will force all teams to fight over the same generic ops, which are also now updated. You'll be playing completely different games in 2023.

Al-Saqr
Nov 11, 2007

Have you ever considered just playing the game that came in the box and not giving the errata stuff more than the single second glance it deserves?

Siivola
Dec 23, 2012

Unironically yeah, I'll just have to try to remember not to buy Custodes.

Siivola fucked around with this message at 09:27 on Dec 11, 2022

Siivola
Dec 23, 2012

Now that I've had my morning coffee I'm also willing to admit that the changes sound interesting and potentially good, I just don't play regularly enough to make keeping up with the game worth it.

Al-Saqr
Nov 11, 2007

Goonhammer with the detailed write up of the cards and the changes they bring, overall they are very positive on it!

https://www.goonhammer.com/the-goonhammer-review-kill-team-critical-operations-cards/

GoonHammer Final Thoughts:- posted:

We are looking at a lot of well needed changes to the game with this deck. The biggest single win here is the massive re-write to Tac Ops. Before one could make the argument that nearly half the Tac Ops were either unplayable or just vastly inferior choices to others within their Archetype, now almost all of them are viable to some degree. Perhaps the only downside to Tac Ops being reworked is the removal the deck building system. This means that if any of the Tac Ops prove to be inferior to the others (Assassinate Target for example) they will not be used at all where as the previous system occasionally forced players to adapt to a poor draw. The changes to Game Setup are more middling in their effect, while I am personally a big fan of all of them, an argument that some of them, such as the CP increase, were unnecessary, while others have the potential to slow down game setup. Overall, this pack is a big win for the game, and hopefully we will see a similar change to Into The Dark in the future.

Siivola
Dec 23, 2012

Udated my KT writeup to add the deck and more importantly the free Lite Rules I'd somehow forgotten.

Al-Saqr
Nov 11, 2007

Siivola posted:

Udated my KT writeup to add the deck and more importantly the free Lite Rules I'd somehow forgotten.

Also dont forget Deployment can now be done in groups, you split your kill team into three equal (as possible) groups and alternate deploying them instead of one-by-one. makes things much faster.

speaking of which when is this new thread going to be posted?

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN
The local guys in my KT scene already made a bunch of printable versions of the new secondaries that are sized to be able to print them out on a sheet of paper, cut out, and glue to a playing card. I like that the game is being updated and balanced but the printed rulebook system is an awful medium for this live games method of updating. But I make due with post it notes and handwritten errata

Talas
Aug 27, 2005

Al-Saqr posted:

Also dont forget Deployment can now be done in groups, you split your kill team into three equal (as possible) groups and alternate deploying them instead of one-by-one. makes things much faster.
Uh? Isn't that exactly like Warcry?

Bad Decision Dino
Aug 3, 2010

We'll invade Russia.

Siivola posted:

Now that I've had my morning coffee I'm also willing to admit that the changes sound interesting and potentially good, I just don't play regularly enough to make keeping up with the game worth it.
At the risk of sounding like a salty grognard, I feel the exact same about most major GW games at this time. The frequency of rules updates and supplements is simply too high for me to enjoy. Also, this being essentially a paid balance update is not great (if they'd post an errata you could just print and keep playing, it would be pretty different IMO).

"Community supported" rulesets for life, IMHO.

Al-Saqr
Nov 11, 2007

Talas posted:

Uh? Isn't that exactly like Warcry?

I dunno but a week ago the rules were that each person alternates deploys INDIVIDUAL fighters now you can deploy groups at a time.

JcDent
May 13, 2013

Give me a rifle, one round, and point me at Berlin!
Physical <poo poo> is part of the business model. Some weebs from Spain somehow manage to have a free army builder that's immediately updated with all the new profile changes and is hyperlinked to a rule wiki. A random Russian is doing more banger work with Wahapedia than GW ever did online. I remember the early days of the new paid army builder app linking to a Google Drive for the rules.

But this is what happens when selling models isn't enough, you need to sell books, cards and other physical poo poo others somehow manage to do without.

Bad Decision Dino
Aug 3, 2010

We'll invade Russia.

JcDent posted:

Physical <poo poo> is part of the business model. Some weebs from Spain somehow manage to have a free army builder that's immediately updated with all the new profile changes and is hyperlinked to a rule wiki. A random Russian is doing more banger work with Wahapedia than GW ever did online. I remember the early days of the new paid army builder app linking to a Google Drive for the rules.

But this is what happens when selling models isn't enough, you need to sell books, cards and other physical poo poo others somehow manage to do without.

Isn't enough for what though? GW has been making record profits. They're free to do so, but we don't have to pretend it's the only way to run a successful game company.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

smug jeebus
Oct 26, 2008
I would definitely prefer GW take a more digital approach to rules publishing, but this card deck feels like a pretty cool QoL improvement and I'm looking forward to buying it