Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

BlankSystemDaemon
Mar 13, 2009

When talking about backups, it's important to talk about them in a context where they're usable. That means you need to know that you can restore them, and the only way to know that is to ensure that it's semi-automated (ie. you don't have to put in a lot of effort), programmatic (ie. it's consistently repeatable), and that it's something you regularly do do (heh).

There's a bunch of professional-sounding words when it comes to having disaster recovery procedures called recovery point objective and recovery time objective, but all they amount to is how much time it takes you to restore (which you only know if you practice, as above), and how much you stand to lose if you suffer catastrophic hardware loss, respectively.

Depending on how paranoid you are, you may also want a disaster recovery method that doesn't use the same filesystem as your primary storage - even though I trust zfs more than anything I've ever used (because I've seen it cope with things no other filesystem could), I have a separate system in place that takes care of the most important things without relying on zfs' otherwise excellent disaster recovery techniques.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mr. Crow
May 22, 2008

Snap City mayor for life
nm

Mr. Crow fucked around with this message at 20:38 on Dec 8, 2022

waffle iron
Jan 16, 2004
One way backups/clones (without some kind of snapshotting or shadow copy) is dangerous because it is very possible to delete files and next time a scheduled sync happens those files are deleted on the "backup" location.

Edit: you see businesses with those kinds of naive backups who get hit with cryptolockers and their backup system overwrites everything with the cryptolocked files.

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

Klyith posted:

zfs/btrfs send | zfs/btrfs receive

Weirdly I tested this with btrfs and it seemed to work slower than an rsync. Might just be the version of btrfs was jank, mind you.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

We have a zfs send backup that we've never tested a restore on, because we don't have the hardware capacity to do it. It scares the hell out of me.

BlankSystemDaemon
Mar 13, 2009

xzzy posted:

We have a zfs send backup that we've never tested a restore on, because we don't have the hardware capacity to do it. It scares the hell out of me.
So what you're saying is you don't have a backup, you have an idea of a backup.

Nitrousoxide
May 30, 2011

do not buy a oneplus phone

waffle iron posted:

One way backups/clones (without some kind of snapshotting or shadow copy) is dangerous because it is very possible to delete files and next time a scheduled sync happens those files are deleted on the "backup" location.

Edit: you see businesses with those kinds of naive backups who get hit with cryptolockers and their backup system overwrites everything with the cryptolocked files.

You want incremental backups that only backup the diffs between versions and let you restore an arbirary backup that you've still got retained. Dupliciti and Deja Dupe both let you do that. It's both more space efficient and safer as it avoids the danger you talked about.

You probably also want to do an image backup at least once after you've setup the incremental backups too so if it gets completely nuked for some reason you can restore the image, and have all the incremental backups already setup on that restored version which you can then also restore.

I do a monthly image of my server in addition to running Dupliciti every night. I consider it just part of the ~hour of maintaince I need to do on it each month. Dupliciti requires no hands on time from me, but the image does.

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week

Tesseraction posted:

Weirdly I tested this with btrfs and it seemed to work slower than an rsync. Might just be the version of btrfs was jank, mind you.

Are you using rsync -c to do checksums? Because if not, you're testing apples and oranges. Btrfs & ZFS do checksums, rsync does not by default. (TBQH I think bitrot is kinda a boogieman most of the time, but if you like the idea of checksums in your storage you should also like checksums in your backup process.)

But anyways if you're using btrfs snapshots, the second time you do it you use:
btrfs send -p <source/previous snapshot> <source/current snapshot> | btrfs receive <destination>
And that should be faster than rsync without checksums because it doesn't have to do any comparisons at all. It's just replaying the diff between the two snapshots. You have all the thoroughness with no overhead.

BlankSystemDaemon
Mar 13, 2009

If btrfs is anything like zfs, btrfs send | receive also functions at a record (or whatever equivalent btrfs uses) level, meaning if you have huge files but there's only a tiny change in the middle, only that tiny change gets sent.

This might not matter for Linux^wFreeBSD isos, but if you're storing virtual machines, makes a big difference.

Pablo Bluth
Sep 7, 2007

I've made a huge mistake.
LTO tapes with some periodic complete backups that don't get recycled in to the tape pool to soon. Ideally two copies, one kept offsite in a fireproof safe.

In the NotPetya attack, Maersk got lucky that a luckily timed powercut in Nigeria turned a server in to an offline backup that has the only remaining copy of domain controller data. Always have some offline backups.

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy
i've been using proxmox backup server at work for about a year now and it's amazing. backing up our entire internal infrastructure every 30 minutes, because it uses bitmaps to only backup dirty blocks, so it takes like half a minute to do the entire thing

Pablo Bluth posted:

LTO tapes with some periodic complete backups that don't get recycled in to the tape pool to soon. Ideally two copies, one kept offsite in a fireproof safe.

In the NotPetya attack, Maersk got lucky that a luckily timed powercut in Nigeria turned a server in to an offline backup that has the only remaining copy of domain controller data. Always have some offline backups.

use backblaze for offsite backups imo

BlankSystemDaemon
Mar 13, 2009

Most butt solutions for backup have terrible RTO unless you're willing to pay for a shipping container full of drives, Backblaze included.

Phosphine
May 30, 2011

WHY, JUDY?! WHY?!
🤰🐰🆚🥪🦊

BlankSystemDaemon posted:

Most butt solutions for backup have terrible RTO unless you're willing to pay for a shipping container full of drives, Backblaze included.

Your plugin is showing ;)

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy

BlankSystemDaemon posted:

the only time you'd actually use data on an off-site backup is after something like a fire/flood, it doesn't matter if it takes a week to restore because it'll take a month to fix the server room lol

RFC2324
Jun 7, 2012

http 418

Klyith posted:

My bad, apologies.

No worries, no reason to know before 🙂

NihilCredo
Jun 6, 2011

iram omni possibili modo preme:
plus una illa te diffamabit, quam multæ virtutes commendabunt

I'm building a new gaming/programming machine for Christmas, for the GPU I have already decided to go AMD for obvious reasons (I want Wayland and KDE).

When it comes to CPU, as far as I can tell there aren't many features that will make a difference between Intel and AMD. Intel has HAAXM which is unnecessary on Linux due to KVM, and I guess Zen4 AMD has AVX512 support which might matter at some point?

When it comes to the motherboard, I guess that's the important part due to various driver quality (I've been burned by Broadcom being a pain before). What manufacturers should I look for for sound, WiFi, and Bluetooth?

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week

NihilCredo posted:

When it comes to CPU, as far as I can tell there aren't many features that will make a difference between Intel and AMD. Intel has HAAXM which is unnecessary on Linux due to KVM, and I guess Zen4 AMD has AVX512 support which might matter at some point?

AM5 motherboards aren't cheap, though they aren't silly-expensive like they were at launch. If AMD supports AM5 as well as they did AM4, where a launch board is viable to upgrade with a new CPU several years later,

NihilCredo posted:

When it comes to the motherboard, I guess that's the important part due to various driver quality (I've been burned by Broadcom being a pain before). What manufacturers should I look for for sound, WiFi, and Bluetooth?

On AMD, it looks like almost all AM5 mobos with built-in wifi are coming with a new "AMD" branded wifi chip which is actually make by mediatek. On the good side: it's pretty standard across the whole range, it has linux drivers in kernels newer than 5.17, and it's not realtek garbage. On the bad side: it's not the Intel AX.

I dunno, googling it on reddit doesn't show massive numbers of complaints. Some people report problems but it seems low volume and by non-experts, so I might just write it off as people blaming the first thing they see that's different.

On Intel mobos, you pretty much always get an Intel wifi module.

Built-in sound is gonna be realtek everywhere. Their newest thing, the 408x chips, are weird things that actually connect via the USB bus (fine) and seem to have slight differences on each mobo (ugh). Realtek doesn't do much linux support. That particular chip seems worth avoiding.

The current trend on high end mobos seems to be that they pair realtek audio with a fancy DAC chip instead of using the built-in DAC in the realtek chips. But the fancy DAC is still inside the high-EMI case...

IMO if audio is something important to you -- you have some nice headphones and care about listening environment etc -- get an external USB audio interface. I can recommend the Schiit all-in-one USB DAC/amps which are not expensive and 100% linux friendly (they use a standard USB audio spec). It's a permanent upgrade, you never have to care about mobo audio again.

Pablo Bluth
Sep 7, 2007

I've made a huge mistake.

NihilCredo posted:

gaming/programming
If you're not aware of it, there's openbenchmarking.org which is a Linux productivity benchmarking site, if you want to compare CPU performance for the programming side of things. For example, Timed FFmpeg Compilation. The only downside is not every CPU has every benchmark.

Kibner
Oct 21, 2008

Acguy Supremacy

NihilCredo posted:

I'm building a new gaming/programming machine for Christmas, for the GPU I have already decided to go AMD for obvious reasons (I want Wayland and KDE).

It will take time to find out exactly which parts to get, but AMD does offer ECC memory support on their consumer chips, if that is a thing that you are interested in.

Kibner
Oct 21, 2008

Acguy Supremacy
For the audio stuff, if you just need something to hook up headphones, get the cheap Apple dongle. It's good enough unless you need something that can output more power. That's when you start looking into headphone amps from companies like JDS Labs, Topping, Schitt, and more.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Kibner posted:

It will take time to find out exactly which parts to get, but AMD does offer ECC memory support on their consumer chips, if that is a thing that you are interested in.

Are there any consumer motherboards that report ECC faults?

BlankSystemDaemon
Mar 13, 2009

Subjunctive posted:

I assume you mean generate an NMI? I'd love to know of one that does it too.

The latest firmware update for the Gigabyte B650E Aorus Master mentions "Add ECC DIMM support" but I've not found anyone who's able to validate that NMIs are generated.

Kibner
Oct 21, 2008

Acguy Supremacy

Subjunctive posted:

For AM4 I know that the Asus x570 ACE WS does. I haven't looked into AM5 mobos, though.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Kibner posted:

For AM4 I know that the Asus x570 ACE WS does. I haven't looked into AM5 mobos, though.

That’s a serious fuckin’ motherboard, nice.

CaptainSarcastic
Jul 6, 2013

Klyith posted:

On AMD, it looks like almost all AM5 mobos with built-in wifi are coming with a new "AMD" branded wifi chip which is actually make by mediatek. On the good side: it's pretty standard across the whole range, it has linux drivers in kernels newer than 5.17, and it's not realtek garbage. On the bad side: it's not the Intel AX.

The B550 I picked up to build a secondary desktop on also had that, which I only discovered after installing OpenSUSE 15.4 on it and the wifi didn't work. Installed Tumbleweed for the newer kernel and it's been fine since.

For sound I personally just use my GPU to drive speakers, and rely on Bluetooth for headphones/earbuds. I haven't really used onboard audio for years now between those two things.

BlankSystemDaemon
Mar 13, 2009

All Realtek is garbage.

F_Shit_Fitzgerald
Feb 2, 2017

I have a weird issue where Linux sometimes opens Zoom when I've been using xscreensaver for a while. Is there a fix for this? It's very odd.

Volguus
Mar 3, 2009

F_Shit_Fitzgerald posted:

I have a weird issue where Linux sometimes opens Zoom when I've been using xscreensaver for a while. Is there a fix for this? It's very odd.

I never heard of this and it's been ages since I've used xscreensaver, but it got me thinking. It used to be that it would lock the computer after a while(5-10 minutes or so, configurable somewhere). To unlock it it would launch xlock, to ask for a password.

Now, I don't know how it launches xlock, but it could be using xdg-open. And that determines what application to launch for a particular file (such as your default browser if the argument is an url). And then somehow, xdg-open is told to launch zoom for whatever argument it gets, as that's the preferred application for that particular file or url that it got as a param.

I'd mess around the preferred applications list of your DE, see what is Zoom set to open.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

If you quit your browser and then xdg-open opens it, and one of the tabs is a Zoom link (which of course is the case) then it’ll trigger the Zoom client opening.

BrainDance
May 8, 2007

Disco all night long!

Got a weird one, not exactly sure what to do here and a quick google gave me mostly Windows advice that doesn't seem applicable here.

I got a home theater thing that I run Debian Sid on (was running stable, but I like Sid I like when poo poo breaks and I gotta learn to fix it, and there was a package that was actually too old in current stable and made it so I couldn't do some stuff, a bluetooth thing, long story but doesn't matter because it is fine in Sid.) It's a laptop with an nvidia gpu, proprietary driver (I doubt that matters here, but it might), then over hdmi to my receiver and out to a projector/5.1 speaker setup. 5.1 is setup and working with pulse, at least for the most part. In the Jellyfin client, works fine I get 5.1, in Firefox it also works fine.

But, I was using Chrome for all that stuff, I used to have trouble with Firefox and playing videos on it back in the day and just ended up using Chrome for media pc stuff. I only use Chrome for this and Firefox on every other computer I use, so I don't actually know much about what to do when Chrome breaks.

It used to be working, but I had to go with just stereo for a couple months while I replaced a receiver. Now, new receiver so back to 5.1, and no matter where I'm playing a video from in Chrome, netflix, youtube, wherever, it will only play in stereo. I feel like it has to be a Chrome problem if Firefox and everything else plays in 5.1 and this is the only thing not working. I'd blame Sid but, Chrome isn't coming from Debian's repos. So, I dunno, anyone heard of this before or have any idea what I would do to even figure out why it's not working?

It doesn't matter much since I can just use Firefox but if I leave it unfixed it's gonna bug me.

Yaoi Gagarin
Feb 20, 2014

Can we calculate when Debian will run out of Toy Story characters?

BrainDance
May 8, 2007

Disco all night long!

VostokProgram posted:

Can we calculate when Debian will run out of Toy Story characters?

There's no fixed schedule for Debian releases but I counted 109 characters on https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Toy_Story_characters

Cant wait for Debian Bonnie's Mom and Debian A toy robot with suction cups that allow it to stick to the wall, which plays music for the bath toys

Going by the amount of time it took for the last 10 named releases (not counting bookworm or anything named after) and taking that as an average, we have 174.8 years of named Debian releases left. Unless they make another toy story in that time.

BrainDance fucked around with this message at 07:39 on Dec 16, 2022

F_Shit_Fitzgerald
Feb 2, 2017

Volguus posted:

I never heard of this and it's been ages since I've used xscreensaver, but it got me thinking. It used to be that it would lock the computer after a while(5-10 minutes or so, configurable somewhere). To unlock it it would launch xlock, to ask for a password.

Now, I don't know how it launches xlock, but it could be using xdg-open. And that determines what application to launch for a particular file (such as your default browser if the argument is an url). And then somehow, xdg-open is told to launch zoom for whatever argument it gets, as that's the preferred application for that particular file or url that it got as a param.

I'd mess around the preferred applications list of your DE, see what is Zoom set to open.

Subjunctive posted:

If you quit your browser and then xdg-open opens it, and one of the tabs is a Zoom link (which of course is the case) then it’ll trigger the Zoom client opening.

OK, I'll look into that; thanks. The funny thing is that I rarely even use Zoom.

RFC2324
Jun 7, 2012

http 418

BrainDance posted:

. Unless they make another toy story in that time.

By that time we will be on toy story 57

Mr. Crow
May 22, 2008

Snap City mayor for life
nm

Twerk from Home
Jan 17, 2009

This avatar brought to you by the 'save our dead gay forums' foundation.
What is the right way for a process limited by cgroups to figure out how much memory it has available to it before it's going to get OOMKilled? I see a CLI tool called "cgget", but I'd really like a library.

It looks like in cgroup v1 you could check /sys/fs/cgroup/memory/memory.limit_in_bytes from the process being controlled by the cgroup, but that's gone in v2 and instead /sys/fs/cgroup/memory.max is there. Do I have to write code to check both, if I want to run inside of cgroups v1 and v2?

Mao Zedong Thot
Oct 16, 2008

I have 2 different ZFS mirror pairs in an Ubuntu 20.04 machine. One is SATA SSDs, the other NVMe, different drive vendors. Both pools get repeated checksum errors. I'm skeptical that I have 4 failing drives. All the hardware and OS install are ~2 years old. What is going on? Scrubs are fine and occasionally fix data, usually no-op. Mostly asking out of curiosity, the machine is due a repave and probably without ZFS this time.

CaptainSarcastic
Jul 6, 2013

Mao Zedong Thot posted:

I have 2 different ZFS mirror pairs in an Ubuntu 20.04 machine. One is SATA SSDs, the other NVMe, different drive vendors. Both pools get repeated checksum errors. I'm skeptical that I have 4 failing drives. All the hardware and OS install are ~2 years old. What is going on? Scrubs are fine and occasionally fix data, usually no-op. Mostly asking out of curiosity, the machine is due a repave and probably without ZFS this time.

Have you tested the RAM lately? In the past I had a machine that would slowly get more and more corrupt until I had to reinstall, and after a lot of testing it turned out to be ever so slightly bad RAM that was causing errors to build up over time.

Mao Zedong Thot
Oct 16, 2008

CaptainSarcastic posted:

Have you tested the RAM lately? In the past I had a machine that would slowly get more and more corrupt until I had to reinstall, and after a lot of testing it turned out to be ever so slightly bad RAM that was causing errors to build up over time.

I haven't, I should. That does seem like a likely candidate.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ihmemies
Oct 6, 2012

Does linux make things specifically obtuse for users? Like I'm supposed to mount a /dev/something folder to my docker so home assistant can use my USB bt dongle.

But I have no idea which /dev/something it is. Lsusb lists these:

Bus 003 Device 001: ID 1d6b:0003 Linux Foundation 3.0 root hub
Bus 002 Device 002: ID 8087:0025 Intel Corp. Wireless-AC 9260 Bluetooth Adapter
Bus 002 Device 001: ID 1d6b:0002 Linux Foundation 2.0 root hub
Bus 001 Device 002: ID 0627:0001 Adomax Technology Co., Ltd QEMU USB Tablet
Bus 001 Device 001: ID 1d6b:0001 Linux Foundation 1.1 root hub

Like.. which one it is. No idea. :shrug:

/dev folder has all kinds of folders but the names are not self-explanatory:

code:
root@debdocker:/dev# ls
autofs           hugepages     sda1      tty16  tty37  tty58    vcs6
block            hwrng         sda2      tty17  tty38  tty59    vcsa
bsg              initctl       sda3      tty18  tty39  tty6     vcsa1
btrfs-control    input         sg0       tty19  tty4   tty60    vcsa2
bus              kmsg          sg1       tty2   tty40  tty61    vcsa3
cdrom            log           shm       tty20  tty41  tty62    vcsa4
char             loop-control  snapshot  tty21  tty42  tty63    vcsa5
console          mapper        snd       tty22  tty43  tty7     vcsa6
core             mem           sr0       tty23  tty44  tty8     vcsu
cpu_dma_latency  mqueue        stderr    tty24  tty45  tty9     vcsu1
cuse             net           stdin     tty25  tty46  ttyS0    vcsu2
debdocker-vg     null          stdout    tty26  tty47  ttyS1    vcsu3
disk             nvram         tpm0      tty27  tty48  ttyS2    vcsu4
dm-0             port          tpmrm0    tty28  tty49  ttyS3    vcsu5
dm-1             ppp           tty       tty29  tty5   uhid     vcsu6
dri              psaux         tty0      tty3   tty50  uinput   vfio
dvd              ptmx          tty1      tty30  tty51  urandom  vga_arbiter
fb0              pts           tty10     tty31  tty52  vcs      vhci
fd               random        tty11     tty32  tty53  vcs1     vhost-net
full             rfkill        tty12     tty33  tty54  vcs2     vhost-vsock
fuse             rtc           tty13     tty34  tty55  vcs3     virtio-ports
hidraw0          rtc0          tty14     tty35  tty56  vcs4     vport3p1
hpet             sda           tty15     tty36  tty57  vcs5     zero
Would the correct folder to give to docker be /dev/bus/usb/002/002 then?

Edit: apparently I just had to install "bluez" and use /var/run/dbus as the folder instead of /dev/bus..

Ihmemies fucked around with this message at 22:47 on Dec 19, 2022