Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Making you happy for a buck since 199X

Car Hater posted:

It helps to have a good understanding of nuclear physics, but the core of a corporation emits a high-energy decay particle that detaches the things and people exposed to it from reality, the closer you get, the higher your dose

http://www.catb.org/~esr/jargon/html/Q/quantum-bogodynamics.html

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Malachite_Dragon
Mar 31, 2010

Weaving Merry Christmas magic

Sundae posted:

Murder. Murder.

If the employee isn't actively driving forklifts, I don't want to hear poo poo about drug tests. Ever. OK maybe do an opioid test if the person is going to work in a Schedule-1 production lab, but even then, meh.
When I was hired for my job, I was told there would be regular drug tests.
Other than that initial cup o' piss, they haven't done a single one in 11 years.

bee
Dec 17, 2008

Do you often sing or whistle just for fun?
The only time I've ever been drug tested was at a pre-offer screening for a call centre job at a power company. Really loving weird that anyone would bother spending the time and money to do this for a role where your employees are just sitting on their butts getting yelled at by angry customers all day long.

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Veteran, Bermuda Triangle Expeditionary Force, 1993-1952

The more degrading and servile the job, the greater the likelihood that they'll drug test. To be a completely first level, onsite helpdesk person for $14/hr I was drug tested. To become the responsible lead admin for 2000+ lab systems in Research, Manufacturing, and QC for $119k/yr base salary I was not drug tested.

Capitalism is a system of worker oppression first, profits are secondary.

champagne posting
Apr 5, 2006

YOU ARE A BRAIN
IN A BUNKER

There's also the possibility if the professional classes start getting drug tested they'll raise the issue and it might become illegal

spiritual bypass
Feb 19, 2008

Grimey Drawer
My employer, fully remote since 2020, is about to enact a return to office. Time to watch a mid size publicly traded company just totally fail.

downout
Jul 6, 2009

SpartanIvy posted:

I'm in a huge meeting and some rear end in a top hat said "Good morning" in chat so now I'm suffering through 10 minutes of beeps while other attendees respond with "Good morning".

No one cares! Shut the gently caress up!

Really this is just a missed opportunity to :justpost:

See how loud the beeping can get.

Sundae
Dec 1, 2005

mllaneza posted:

The more degrading and servile the job, the greater the likelihood that they'll drug test. To be a completely first level, onsite helpdesk person for $14/hr I was drug tested. To become the responsible lead admin for 2000+ lab systems in Research, Manufacturing, and QC for $119k/yr base salary I was not drug tested.

I think at our place, it also has the caveat that the first-level folks are mostly contractors based out of companies that try to claim they aren't in California. Our contractors were all told (by their contract manager, not us) that they are employed in North Carolina and on temp assignments to California. I've pointed out to the ones who apply to me that this logic is horseshit and would not hold up in any California court if push came to shove (but of course that'd be a horrendous burned bridge if they haven't grabbed a FTE position yet).

But yeah, as a result, our contractors are drug-tested by their agency while nobody who works for our place is, to the best of my knowledge.

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

EMAIL... THE INTERNET... SEARCH ENGINES...

mllaneza posted:

You can't shift liability for typing a number wrong the same way you can for smashing a forklift into a pallet.

sbaldrick
Jul 19, 2006
Driven by Hate

cum jabbar posted:

My employer, fully remote since 2020, is about to enact a return to office. Time to watch a mid size publicly traded company just totally fail.

If you want to see a fail, the Canadian government is finally caving to the chamber of Commerce to force public servants back to work a few days a week. Sadly they forgot to as the ultra powerful union if they where down for this

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Sundae posted:

I've pointed out to the ones who apply to me that this logic is horseshit and would not hold up in any California court if push came to shove (but of course that'd be a horrendous burned bridge if they haven't grabbed a FTE position yet).

I would love to see that agency spit-roasted by both the CA and NC Depts of Labor.

Sundae
Dec 1, 2005
A LinkedIn recruiter spammed me with a new one today...

Underlining is mine...

Holy poo poo posted:

About This Client

There are many products that improve the quality of life on Earth that can only be manufactured in space. Our client is committed to making those products and bringing them back down. They’re proud to expand the economic bounds of humankind.

At this company, you’ll have the opportunity to work at the intersection of ambition and experience. Our team has deep experience in aerospace and tech. They have honed their crafts in the trenches of major companies. Your work will be valued and evaluated by proven leaders who have chosen to apply their talents to manufacturing in space.

While this vision is big, the steps to get there are technically reasonable and operationally feasible. The conops are clear, and use cases have been proven over decades of ISS-based research and development.

Join this dynamic team to help leverage space for business.

About This Role

Our team is looking for highly motivated and creative candidates who will lead efforts in improving small molecule therapeutics with microgravity. This is an opportunity to drive innovative growth for a well-funded start-up. This person will shape the company's product culture, and play a significant role in establishing the low earth orbit economy

Please, tell me more about establishing the LOW EARTH ORBIT ECONOMY. What if manufacturing, BUT IN SPACE?!?

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Let's get drunk and kiss each other all night.
Usually on linkedin I get job posts fairly unrelated to my actual work but that one I would take notice, that rules.

Smithwick
Jun 20, 2003
The LinkedIn recruiters I get are usually recruiting pretty close to my skills and experiences, and are not crazy. I see some of the stuff that gets posted in this thread and feel left out. I kind of wish I got stuff pitched to me that I could laugh at.

The “best” I have got recently is someone that tried to recruit me for a staff accountant role and I pointed out that I have never made a journal entry and would like to keep it that way.

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

Sundae posted:

What if manufacturing, BUT IN SPACE?!?

I'll be honest, this is actually a pretty rad sales pitch and I would take notice.

Dik Hz
Feb 22, 2004

Fun with Science

mllaneza posted:

I would love to see that agency spit-roasted by both the CA and NC Depts of Labor.

Speaking as someone who hires temps in NC, the NC DoL dgaf.

Sundae
Dec 1, 2005
"There are many products that improve the quality of life on Earth that can only be manufactured in space."

I'm really tempted to e-mail the recruiter back and ask her to name one.

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

Sundae posted:

"There are many products that improve the quality of life on Earth that can only be manufactured in space."

A prison for Elon Musk he willingly steps into

Sundae
Dec 1, 2005

Volmarias posted:

A prison for Elon Musk he willingly steps into

gently caress... now I'm obligated to apply.

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Dik Hz posted:

Speaking as someone who hires temps in NC, the NC DoL dgaf.

They'll go bulldog if they think they can claw back some unpaid payroll taxes.

Sundae posted:

They may be sitting on some process patents for small molecule manufacturing, and more on actual molecules. I help support the small molecule group at work, and that is some incredibly finicky poo poo to develop. I completely buy that you can do things in orbit that you can't on the ground. In your shoes I'd pursue it at least to the NDA stage just to find out if they're bullshitting or actually have something.

greazeball
Feb 4, 2003

Imagine startup culture... in space!

TraderStav
May 19, 2006

It feels like I was standing my entire life and I just sat down

greazeball posted:

Imagine startup culture... in space!

I've seen For All Mankind, thanks

Handsome Ralph
Sep 3, 2004

Oh boy, posting!
That's where I'm a Viking!

Had my last day on Friday. No one reached out for an exit interview and my manager no-showed our usual scheduled Friday afternoon 1:1. Only thing I got was an automated email from HR asking me to fill out an exit survey that takes 60 seconds. :lol: no, get hosed.

Also had my boss ask me earlier in the week to write my feedback for her and my team, "no matter how harsh it may be". I politely declined, I ain't falling for that poo poo. So glad to be done with this company and how utterly unprofessional and chaotic my team has been over the last couple of years. My only real regret is that I didn't bail back when the whole "no more WFH!" incident happened three years ago, but eh, live and learn. I got to add another team/set of skills to my resume, along with a promotion and some money to go with it. So it's not all bad.

TraderStav
May 19, 2006

It feels like I was standing my entire life and I just sat down

Handsome Ralph posted:

Had my last day on Friday. No one reached out for an exit interview and my manager no-showed our usual scheduled Friday afternoon 1:1. Only thing I got was an automated email from HR asking me to fill out an exit survey that takes 60 seconds. :lol: no, get hosed.

Also had my boss ask me earlier in the week to write my feedback for her and my team, "no matter how harsh it may be". I politely declined, I ain't falling for that poo poo. So glad to be done with this company and how utterly unprofessional and chaotic my team has been over the last couple of years. My only real regret is that I didn't bail back when the whole "no more WFH!" incident happened three years ago, but eh, live and learn. I got to add another team/set of skills to my resume, along with a promotion and some money to go with it. So it's not all bad.

Good move on skipping the opportunity to vent. In a couple weeks you'll have moved on and forgotten about it and it would have only served as a potential negative in the future, even if a remote possibility. Zero upside as we all know that nothing will change with your feedback.

docbeard
Jul 19, 2011

Smithwick posted:

The LinkedIn recruiters I get are usually recruiting pretty close to my skills and experiences, and are not crazy. I see some of the stuff that gets posted in this thread and feel left out. I kind of wish I got stuff pitched to me that I could laugh at.

The “best” I have got recently is someone that tried to recruit me for a staff accountant role and I pointed out that I have never made a journal entry and would like to keep it that way.

I've had people try to recruit me as a swimming instructor before, I guess based on my past life where I worked for state environmental regulatory agency in the water compliance division.

theHUNGERian
Feb 23, 2006

tactlessbastard
Feb 4, 2001

Godspeed, post
Fun Shoe

tactlessbastard posted:

My dad has pancreatic cancer :(

It's back with a vengeance (bigger than pre surgery) and he probably won't make it to 2023 :(

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

I'm so sorry :smith:

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

tactlessbastard posted:

It's back with a vengeance (bigger than pre surgery) and he probably won't make it to 2023 :(

I'm sorry to hear that. Be well and spend as much time with him as you can these next several weeks.

Tnuctip
Sep 25, 2017

Volmarias posted:

You can't shift liability for typing a number wrong the same way you can for smashing a forklift into a pallet.

But enough about my place! Sigh after a 3 day weekend I’m probably going to see a good 50 broken pallets tomorrow. And roll up doors. And walls.

Fil5000
Jun 23, 2003

HOLD ON GUYS I'M POSTING ABOUT INTERNET ROBOTS

tactlessbastard posted:

I'm sorry, that really sucks. I agree with Midjack, I wish I'd spent more time with my dad.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22

tactlessbastard posted:

Really awful stuff. I hope you get to spend as much time as you can with him, and that time is a comfort to you both.

tumblr hype man
Jul 29, 2008

nice meltdown
Slippery Tilde

tactlessbastard posted:

I’m really sorry. I went through the same cancer with my dad a few years ago. Spend as much time as possible with him. I wrote my dad a short letter each day I was there with him and tried to put down a memory I had of being younger and the stuff we did together and things I was thankful for. I think it helped me hold on to as many of those memories as possible.

tactlessbastard
Feb 4, 2001

Godspeed, post
Fun Shoe
Thanks all, I realize this isn't exactly the correct forum for this.

Fortunately I only work this week and then I'm off for the rest of the year.

dxt
Mar 27, 2004
METAL DISCHARGE

priznat posted:

My boss' boss' boss is having a xmas get together at his place on Friday and the tuesday after I am flying to SJ to go to HQ, I'm definitely gonna get covid at one or the other.

Fake a positive test before right before the party Friday. gently caress actually getting covid for those ghouls.

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

tactlessbastard posted:

Thanks all, I realize this isn't exactly the correct forum for this.

Fortunately I only work this week and then I'm off for the rest of the year.

Uh... I realize you didn't ask for advice of this nature but in the circumstances, maybe take this week off too?

knox_harrington
Feb 18, 2011

Running no point.

Eric has the right idea. Sorry about your dad TB.

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

All days are nights to see till I see thee; and nights bright days when dreams do show me thee.
Also don't feel guilty if you need to take a bit of time for yourself. It's ok to need to step out to get lunch by yourself, or leave early a watch a movie at home or something. Spend all the time you can but realize when you're crossing into too much and need a break.

Take this week off too, friend.

m0therfux0r
Oct 11, 2007

me.
I know I'm a little late on this, but re: the drug testing discussion further up the page-

I agree that drug testing is stupid, invasive as hell, and shouldn't be a thing (unless you cause some kind of crazy accident while working), but regarding the "it makes no sense that I have to get drug tested for [x] job" stuff, some places do this because they get a discount on their insurance for being a "drug free workplace".

I'm not sure what all it takes to qualify for that, but I worked at a startup several years back and the founder hated drug tests, but the board and others involved in the finances of that company made everyone get them so that they could save money by qualifying as a drug free workplace. The requirement at that company was just to have an initial piss test when you were hired and then they only ever tested again if there was some sort of incident (though in practice there were many incidents and they only actually tested people they wanted to fire anyway).

It's still bullshit, though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Yeah I've worked at a couple of places where there were "random" tests and by some amazing coincidence all of the people who were "randomly" selected to take them were out of favor with management.

Other than that I've pretty much never seen any drug tests except at initial hire.