Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Arrath
Apr 14, 2011

Immanentized posted:

Current event: turns out a guy I work with was engineering project lead for the development of the GAU-8, had the original (paper) blueprints and engineering tables still in his office. He's been at GE for nearly 55 years, apparently his idea to do the comparison shot with the VW beetle. Cheeky old geezer.

Yo that's loving rad

E: I am satisfied with this snipe

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LtCol J. Krusinski
May 7, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
Yoel Roth was like king mod of Twitter.

I’m not gonna cry about him getting amplified as a pedo because honestly seeing a social media mod drug through the digital streets by computer and regularly illiterate Q lovers is hilarious. He’s getting love from the right wing nuts he and Twitter enabled and kid gloved.

He’s not a pedo, and hopefully nothing actually physically bad comes of it.

But dude is 100% part of the fuckholery of Twitter. Fuckholery that’s gotten worse since elong degennerest took over.

It’s funny but I guess if I’m pretending not to be a way too online degenerate it’s totally not funny and we should really be worried for this guy

:lol:

golden bubble
Jun 3, 2011

yospos

https://twitter.com/quantian1/status/1601708472629747712

On a completely different note

https://twitter.com/chancery_daily/status/1601714662902419457

Stultus Maximus
Dec 21, 2009

USPOL May

Oh hey, Maria Butina, the NRA spy.

My Spirit Otter
Jun 15, 2006

CANADA DOESN'T GET PENS LIKE THIS

SKILCRAFT KREW Reppin' Quality Blind Made American Products. Bitch.

This is a kremlin talking point so he's absolutely just helping to further putin's war on the lgbtq

Handsome Ralph
Sep 3, 2004

Oh boy, posting!
That's where I'm a Viking!

Immanentized posted:

Current event: turns out a guy I work with was engineering project lead for the development of the GAU-8, had the original (paper) blueprints and engineering tables still in his office. He's been at GE for nearly 55 years, apparently his idea to do the comparison shot with the VW beetle. Cheeky old geezer.

I'm just here to grin at stuff like this, and to enjoy the dunking on seals. More dunks please.

Arrath
Apr 14, 2011

No lie prints of the GAU-8 sound pretty rad to have in the office.

AreWeDrunkYet
Jul 8, 2006

I'm fascinated to find out there are actually only two genders, gay people and normal people.

Immanentized posted:

Designing weapons isn't something to look up to. The guy was probably a talented engineer, but he spent 5+ decades figuring out better ways to kill people and marketing that capability.

AreWeDrunkYet fucked around with this message at 05:00 on Dec 11, 2022

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

Immanentized posted:

A senior guy who retired from my last job years ago worked at Springfield Armory in the 60s and had what he said was a prototype M7A3 grenade launcher that had been left to him by someone who retired from Springfield before he left. He brought it in once, it's a fairly simple thing that doesn't scream "weapon" unless you know what it is already.

Hekk
Oct 12, 2012

'smeper fi

AreWeDrunkYet posted:

Designing weapons isn't something to look up to. The guy was probably a talented engineer, but he spent 5+ decades figuring out better ways to kill people and marketing that capability.

Lol did you forget what thread you are in? Half the participants here have spent time trying to figure out better ways to kill people.

Grip it and rip it
Apr 28, 2020

LtCol J. Krusinski posted:

Yoel Roth was like king mod of Twitter.

I’m not gonna cry about him getting amplified as a pedo because honestly seeing a social media mod drug through the digital streets by computer and regularly illiterate Q lovers is hilarious. He’s getting love from the right wing nuts he and Twitter enabled and kid gloved.

He’s not a pedo, and hopefully nothing actually physically bad comes of it.

But dude is 100% part of the fuckholery of Twitter. Fuckholery that’s gotten worse since elong degennerest took over.

It’s funny but I guess if I’m pretending not to be a way too online degenerate it’s totally not funny and we should really be worried for this guy

:lol:

I wonder if this poo poo is gonna start forcing tech/executive people to protect themselves in business logs for companies that are getting acquired in the future.

TheWeedNumber
Apr 20, 2020

by sebmojo

AreWeDrunkYet posted:

nly two genders, gay people and normal people.

Hekk posted:

Lol did you forget what thread you are in? Half the participants here have spent time trying to figure out better ways to kill people.

Weapons are cool as gently caress though and sometimes people really need to die.

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Every revolution evaporates and leaves behind only the slime of a new bureaucracy

I’m hoping this finally pushes the rest of my professional colleagues off of twitter.

https://twitter.com/elonmusk/status/1601894132573605888?s=20&t=EjC9a5LFOFu1OkCMZq9CGw

M_Gargantua
Oct 16, 2006

STOMP'N ON INTO THE POWERLINES

Exciting Lemon

AreWeDrunkYet posted:

Society is built around having better ways to kill people that hopefully never get used. It is distasteful to acknowledge this fact in our new more righteous liberal worldview. But will remain a foundational truth of civilization in perpetuity.

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?

That Works posted:

I’m hoping this finally pushes the rest of my professional colleagues off of twitter.

https://twitter.com/elonmusk/status/1601894132573605888?s=20&t=EjC9a5LFOFu1OkCMZq9CGw

Welp, he's got the c-spam vote

BadOptics
Sep 11, 2012

M_Gargantua posted:

Society is built around having better ways to kill people that hopefully never get used. It is distasteful to acknowledge this fact in our new more righteous liberal worldview. But will remain a foundational truth of civilization in perpetuity.

I think this is a bit silly/oversimplified. Are you talking about capitalist society or civilization as a whole? Even narrowing it down to just capitalism the system isn't "built around" killing people with weapons.

Edit: love Elon getting in on the lockdown/Fauci hate an entire year after America decided COVID was over or Fauci basically out of the picture once that happened. Iirc the guy is now retiring?

Edit: Changes wording to be less confrontational. Apologies Gargantua.

BadOptics fucked around with this message at 16:32 on Dec 11, 2022

TheWeedNumber
Apr 20, 2020

by sebmojo

BadOptics posted:

Lol this is extremely dumb. Are you talking about capitalist society or civilization as a whole? Even narrowing it down to just capitalism the system isn't "built around" killing people with weapons. "In perpetuity"???

*draws a card titled MONOPOLY ON VIOLENCE from a hat*

A.o.D.
Jan 15, 2006

BadOptics posted:

Lol this is extremely dumb. Are you talking about capitalist society or civilization as a whole? Even narrowing it down to just capitalism the system isn't "built around" killing people with weapons. "In perpetuity"???

Capitalism didn't invent, perfect, or monopolize wholesale slaughter. What point are you even trying to make?

BadOptics
Sep 11, 2012

TheWeedNumber posted:

*draws a card titled MONOPOLY ON VIOLENCE from a hat*

The state monopoly on violence isn't the same as saying society is structured around the development on ways to kill people.

A.o.D. posted:

Capitalism didn't invent, perfect, or monopolize wholesale slaughter. What point are you even trying to make?

I was just using it as an example that even our current exploitive, alienating society isn't necessarily "built around" the idea of figuring out how to kill people/weapons development; I'm on a phone so I'm not gonna type out a small essay on why OP's claim makes no sense in the wide array of other forms of human organization (current or historical).

BadOptics fucked around with this message at 16:28 on Dec 11, 2022

ThisIsJohnWayne
Feb 23, 2007
Ooo! Look at me! NO DON'T LOOK AT ME!

BadOptics posted:

The state monopoly on violence isn't the same as saying society is structured around the development on ways to kill people.

I was just using it as an example that even our current exploitive, alienating society isn't necessarily "built around" the idea of figuring out how to kill people/weapons development; I'm on a phone so I'm not gonna type out a small essay on why OP's claim makes no sense in the wide array of other forms of human organization.

Why do you yell at everyone else all the time?

TheWeedNumber
Apr 20, 2020

by sebmojo

BadOptics posted:

I was just using it as an example that even our current exploitive, alienating society isn't necessarily "built around" the idea of figuring out how to kill people/weapons development; I'm on a phone so I'm not gonna type out a small essay on why OP's claim makes no sense in the wide array of other forms of human organization.

I can rock with you on the first part. Only think I’ll say is a good part of it, IMO, is on keeping people “in check.” Here and abroad.

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

ThisIsJohnWayne posted:

They're a product of society

BadOptics
Sep 11, 2012

ThisIsJohnWayne posted:

I'm responding to other people on a discussion forum? AoD asked what point I was trying to make and I posted back. I think you may be confusing me disagreeing with an idea/statement with me for some reason being angry with other posters?

Hell, besides a single post during the anarchy discussion I'm not posting like it's D&D.

TheWeedNumber posted:

I can rock with you on the first part. Only think I’ll say is a good part of it, IMO, is on keeping people “in check.” Here and abroad.

That's fair.

Tiny Timbs posted:

They're a product of society

No man is an island, it's true.

BadOptics fucked around with this message at 16:30 on Dec 11, 2022

Grip it and rip it
Apr 28, 2020
uhh there are societies other than American on the planet. Some of them don't even have standing armies. The western hegemony that largely runs the planet is certainly based on martial superiority, but it's certainly not the only model going.

psydude
Apr 1, 2008

Grip it and rip it posted:

uhh there are societies other than American on the planet. Some of them don't even have standing armies. The western hegemony that largely runs the planet is certainly based on martial superiority, but it's certainly not the only model going.

Countries without armies, like Costa Rica and Ireland, essentially depend upon those hegemonic powers for defense. I'm not even going to mention unarmed micro states, because they also exist at the convenience of their neighbors.

Stultus Maximus
Dec 21, 2009

USPOL May

That Works posted:

World's richest man and so insecure he trolls for approval from chuds and channers.

Immanentized
Mar 17, 2009

AreWeDrunkYet posted:

I'm fascinated to find out there are actually only two genders, gay people and normal people.

He spent 16 months in the GAU-8 team figuring out the rotation mechanism before going on to work on washing machines, turbines, and eventually MRI mechanisms for the next 47 years, but ok.

BadOptics
Sep 11, 2012

Stultus Maximus posted:

World's richest man and so insecure he trolls for approval from chuds and channers.

Imagine taking business suggestions from notable Twitter user "catturd" and not sitting down to think how stupid you are. Or that Elon is basically mocking his own trans kid with that "joke".

BadOptics fucked around with this message at 16:53 on Dec 11, 2022

Stultus Maximus
Dec 21, 2009

USPOL May

BadOptics posted:

Imagine taking business suggestions from notable Twitter user "catturd" and not sitting down to think how stupid you are. Or that Elon is basically mocking his own trans kid with that "joke".

Elmo probably intentionally mocks his own trans kid because he views them as a failure.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Now do a tweet for Xi. :allears:

M_Gargantua
Oct 16, 2006

Exciting Lemon

BadOptics posted:

I think this is a bit silly/oversimplified. Are you talking about capitalist society or civilization as a whole? Even narrowing it down to just capitalism the system isn't "built around" killing people with weapons.

psydude posted:

Countries without armies, like Costa Rica and Ireland, essentially depend upon those hegemonic powers for defense. I'm not even going to mention unarmed micro states, because they also exist at the convenience of their neighbors.

This is a smarter way to word my stance without my shitposting edginess.

The only thing in history that has ever stopped bad societies from conquering good societies has been violence. No one can stop the US from being an absolute shitheel through most of the world because no one can out violence us. We just keep pretending that every time we defeat one that the world is butterfly's and rainbows again. We've got what I consider to be clear evidence of that right now with Ukraine and Taiwan. Its not pretty but just because we're in the information age doesn't mean we've moved past that. Its an ugly thing to acknowledge as society has done its best to teach us that we're better than that.

Soul Dentist
Mar 17, 2009
I mean if it's a start to prosecution for the AIDS epidemic I'm on board too

lightpole
Jun 4, 2004
I think that MBAs are useful, in case you are looking for an answer to the question of "Is lightpole a total fucking idiot".

Immanentized posted:

He spent 16 months in the GAU-8 team figuring out the rotation mechanism before going on to work on washing machines, turbines, and eventually MRI mechanisms for the next 47 years, but ok.

To add to this a lot of engineers just like solving interesting/difficult problems and may not account for the end product cause they are dumb nerds.

Immanentized
Mar 17, 2009

lightpole posted:

To add to this a lot of engineers just like solving interesting/difficult problems and may not account for the end product cause they are dumb nerds.

Nailed it, the guy was really interested in revolving mechanisms under load. It's less the excitement of weapon development than it is about the sense of history. Running into someone like this is like running into an Apollo era engineer, it's a connection to a different era and manner of working and thinking.

There's a family element for me as well, since one of my maternal uncles did the materials research for the titanium bathtub on the A-10.

ThisIsJohnWayne
Feb 23, 2007
Ooo! Look at me! NO DON'T LOOK AT ME!

Immanentized posted:

Granted this is CT but still. Hell of an expertise

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ih_mTjMrrb0

facialimpediment
Feb 11, 2005

as the world turns

That Works posted:

It won't be that, it will probably be this, unless there's some kind of expansion feature:

https://twitter.com/celebrityhottub/status/1601958692374601729?t=NlUN2G7-FNtbV2A_VIEWaA&s=19

what if facebook, but every table is broken everywhere

Grip it and rip it
Apr 28, 2020

psydude posted:

Which demonstrates that you can have a society that is not predicated on martial superiority. Thats exactly my point.

psydude
Apr 1, 2008

Which demonstrates that you can have a society that is not predicated on martial superiority. Thats exactly my point.

Ok, I guess you're technically correct. But my point is that those societies are only able to exist at the whims of those other societies with strong militaries and a corresponding foreign policy. They're the exception that proves the rule.

M_Gargantua
Oct 16, 2006

Exciting Lemon

Those societies are allowed to exist *at the convenience of their neighbors* which is the point. Going to do a dumb theoretical here - Lets say Brazil just decided to invade French Guiana and conquer it, and kick every resident out. International norms isn't what would actually prevent that. International norms backed up with military power would. Martial power is the most foundational thing that allows different societies and systems of governance to grow in their own free ways.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hypnophant
Oct 19, 2012

outsourcing your defense needs, or being too small and poor to bother with, aren’t good examples of societies “not predicated on martial superiority.” The former still need weapons, the weapons are just controlled by someone else; the latter can by definition only exist at the margin of global society.