Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Kabuki Shipoopi
Jun 22, 2007

If I fall, you don't get the head, right? If you lose the head, you're fucked!

BabyRyoga posted:

I've started to notice that in addition to like 3 or 4 entirely different ways matchmaking is busted right now and producing unplayable games, the game in general feels way more DPS Meta than OW1. So, even as a support it's a lot more important to do effective damage in fights as your number 2 priority after "don't let someone who is gonna die die". You can't really heal bot and expect your team to carry you like you could years ago and with two tanks. At the same time, it's really hard for YOU to carry. If you are Kiriko and hitting nothing but headshots maybe you can pop off, but it isn't going to be enough if your team sucks. And even if your team is good, it might be too little. It's frustrating to say the least.

I think that's the biggest problem the game is facing at the moment. There's a whole group of people that are used to playing OverWatch 1 a certain way, and now they have to change up their play style for this new version of the game, and there's a whole new set of people coming in that have never played OverWatch before, that don't understand the mechanics, which is frustrating the older players that have some semblance of how the characters are supposed to play and what your roles are.

Couple that with higher ranked players getting matched up with lower ranked players by a whole two tiers causing these poo poo stomps, and it seems like everybody's generally having a not-fun time.

If someone was ranked Platinum at one point, they get downshifted to gold, and then get matched up with bronze players or even unranked players, how are the people at lower ranks supposed to have fun or rank up? Especially if they don't understand how to play their roles in the first place because they're new?

Then you get all these YouTubers talking about how whatever character is currently meta, or "S-tier" (but they're referring to the higher ranked meta), when you get lower tiered players thinking they're going to rank up easily because they're playing a "overpowered" character when in fact the character isn't overpowered in the hands of somebody less experienced.

Like Doom currently. If a new player plays Doom and has no clue how he's supposed to be played, he isn't as strong of a pick as people make him out to be. I even saw a top 500 player pick up Doom live on stream for the first time, and he sucked so bad he had to look up a guide midstream to figure out how to even play him, and even then, it took him a while to actually get used to the playstyle to be able to even go positive let alone break even.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

toadee
Aug 16, 2003

North American Turtle Boy Love Association

I am a brand new player (like 3 weeks ago I started), and I've put a fair amount of time reading up on and improving my play. I'm sure I'm bad, but I know I'm not the worst. Today in a series of 8 ranked games, one of them our tank just rolled around as ball in the corner of the map the whole time intentionally throwing. Another, literally all four of the other players on my team quit out after starting a payload match 0-2 in the first round (the enemy team were fun about it, we all just sat around and did emotes and stuff while the timer ticked down). Two other matches were one or more people left, and then at least one match where I just got screamed at by a tank who wanted healing but literally just kept doom fist jumping into the back line of the enemy in the middle of 4 people. I just can't help you there man.

Like I still am enjoying the game, oddly enough, but my god. What is this.

Teriyaki Koinku
Nov 25, 2008

Bread! Bread! Bread!

Bread! BREAD! BREAD!
As much as I hate to say it, I'm pretty close to just uninstalling the game at this point. I had high hopes at first, but between broken new heroes that are practically pay-to-win baiting people into buying the battle pass, a shameless shop, and incredibly lopsided matches, I keep questioning myself why I'm even playing this game anymore.

Well, that and Blizzard will be exiting this region soon enough anyways lol.

Father Wendigo
Sep 28, 2005
This is, sadly, more important to me than bettering myself.

Teriyaki Koinku posted:

As much as I hate to say it, I'm pretty close to just uninstalling the game at this point. I had high hopes at first, but between broken new heroes that are practically pay-to-win baiting people into buying the battle pass, a shameless shop, and incredibly lopsided matches, I keep questioning myself why I'm even playing this game anymore.
I think introducing a new hero with a high skill floor and higher ceiling might have gone better if matchmaking hadn't poo poo the bed and people who can grok how to use the incredibly fiddly Tank weren't put up against people who's top quality is 'knows to look up once every spawn.'

quote:

Well, that and Blizzard will be exiting this region soon enough anyways lol.
China? I assumed that was just corporate negotiating BS, ABK has said that's their primary growth opportunity and God help us if they try to squeeze consumers harder than they did with Overwatch 2 and Diablo Immortal.

BabyRyoga
May 21, 2001

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021
Played for like 90 min tonight. Ay, Sym is definitely back.

.. I lost all but one of these games. For reasons ranging from "why does one of the healers have 2k healed 5 minutes into the game" to "How did you guys lose a 4v2 after I killed 3".

Who wants to take bets on how long before nerfs come in again?

Jimbot
Jul 22, 2008

As someone whose posts mostly consist of bitching abut solo queue I concur that the most unfun thing you can do in this game, and probably in any video game out today and possibly in any video game created by humankind is to solo queue as support. Since dailies ask of it of you (to queue as all) just tear off that bandage quickly, get it over with then queue up as DPS and/or tank and you'll enjoy yourself 10000000% more, even if you get stomped you'd at least have the pleasure of some good gunplay and not playing healbot to the rest of the team.

Teriyaki Koinku
Nov 25, 2008

Bread! Bread! Bread!

Bread! BREAD! BREAD!

Father Wendigo posted:

China? I assumed that was just corporate negotiating BS, ABK has said that's their primary growth opportunity and God help us if they try to squeeze consumers harder than they did with Overwatch 2 and Diablo Immortal.

Yes. It's real btw. Buying tokens has been disabled since the announcement, so you can't buy the battle pass or anything in the shop even if you wanted to (unless you bought tokens beforehand, that is).

leftist heap
Feb 28, 2013

Fun Shoe

Jimbot posted:

As someone whose posts mostly consist of bitching abut solo queue I concur that the most unfun thing you can do in this game, and probably in any video game out today and possibly in any video game created by humankind is to solo queue as support. Since dailies ask of it of you (to queue as all) just tear off that bandage quickly, get it over with then queue up as DPS and/or tank and you'll enjoy yourself 10000000% more, even if you get stomped you'd at least have the pleasure of some good gunplay and not playing healbot to the rest of the team.

I just don’t do it at all anymore. Life is too short to solo queue support

Kabuki Shipoopi
Jun 22, 2007

Jimbot posted:

The trick here is to play Moira and forego the need to heal as much, because you've murdered the source of incoming damage. :smuggo:

Seriously though I played Kiriko as heal first damage second, and Moira as damage first, heal after team kill. I got really frustrated playing Moira and watching DPS get their rear end handed to them over and over again while I tried to heal them. So I said gently caress it focused on damage, and the enemy team went down a lot faster, and then I could just spot heal as I needed to.

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

Kabuki Shipoopi posted:

The trick here is to play Moira and forego the need to heal as much, because you've murdered the source of incoming damage. :smuggo:

That stops working unfortunately once you get out of wood ranks and enemy dps start being able to hit the broad side of the barn, since Moira has the literal lowest damage output in the game.

grieving for Gandalf
Apr 22, 2008

lol i hit masters in support on console, so now i can use that title on pc and freak the people out in my placements

BabyRyoga
May 21, 2001

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021

Jack Trades posted:

That stops working unfortunately once you get out of wood ranks and enemy dps start being able to hit the broad side of the barn, since Moira has the literal lowest damage output in the game.

Not necessarily the lowest damage output, just the lowest dps and likely highest percentage of trash damage. People think Moira works at lower ranks because they can't fulfil the DPS requirements that supports should be outputting on more difficult to aim heroes like Ana, Kiri, Bap. The main problem here though is that so much of the damage Moira puts out is slow and not particularly effective damage, so middling players will have to spend too much time focusing on confirming kills and not output the right kind of healing at the right times.

BabyRyoga fucked around with this message at 19:02 on Dec 10, 2022

Gravitas Shortfall
Jul 17, 2007

Utility is seven-eighths Proximity.

I'm becoming more and more a pure Ana main, her kit remains the most satisfying to use imo. I'll switch to Moira if we need raw healing output or if I'm getting seriously harassed, and on rare occasions I've been trying Lucio for enabling Rammatra, but the sheer utility of antinade and sleep-dart are hard to beat, even with Kiriko cleanse.

Jezza of OZPOS
Mar 21, 2018

GET LOSE❌🗺️, YOUS CAN'T COMPARE😤 WITH ME 💪POWERS🇦🇺
My fiance and i had to stop both flex queuing because even dual queuing support is miserable right now

Father Wendigo
Sep 28, 2005

Jezza of OZPOS posted:

My fiance and i had to stop both flex queuing because even dual queuing support is miserable right now

Thank goodness they looked into making support roles more fun to play, just imagine what the game would be like if they hadn't!

Cpt_Obvious
Jun 18, 2007

I enjoy support and solo que it all the time :shrug:

I've always played healers, my first MMO char was a pure healer class.

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

Cpt_Obvious posted:

Now imagine if MMO healers always generated the most aggro and the Tank had no abilities to do anything about it.

Assepoester
Jul 18, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Melman v2
Yeah, I feel like every time I actually try shooting people as Bap in between the healing that just paints a big old target on my back and I get focused down and eliminated.

leftist heap posted:

I would love it if this was the case cause that daily challenge taunts me but I'm sick of playing nothing but support.

Two Owls posted:

I've also had this, but had assumed everyone queuing for NEW TANK had thrown things off. Also, turns out I am now real bad at DPS
Welp it must have been a fluke, did 3 more all role queues and got support each time, back to normal.

Lost all 3 times as well, had to queue a 4th time just to get a win.

BabyRyoga
May 21, 2001

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021

Cpt_Obvious posted:

You should probably be playing OW supports closer to FFXIV 'healers' than legacy MMO pure healers.

I kinda miss the days of pure heal juggling in online games.

EngineerJoe
Aug 8, 2004
-=whore=-

There's too much for in Blizzard World and I don't like it..

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
When I was 17, my father was so stupid, I didn't want to be seen with him in public. When I was 24, I was amazed at how much the old man had learned in just 7 years.
It's "funny" in the last 24 hours a genji has dived at the start of the match, got shot to death as me playing Mercy, and then they quit which seems cool but that just means it's back to the queue for us. Maybe I should just let them kill me on the first attack.

Cpt_Obvious
Jun 18, 2007

Was watching my wife playing comp as rein on console. The enemy doom was doing his elbow drop to fly behind her shield, then using mouse and keyboard to swivel the camera fast enough so that the actual blow landed on rein and following up with a rocket punching him from behind.

This was in bronze. Matchmaking is hosed.

tyrelhill
Jul 30, 2006
im bronze, suck rear end, and do that with doom all the time

Just Chamber
Feb 10, 2014

WE MUST RETURN TO THE DANCE! THE NIGHT IS OURS!

I was pure support the last time I played OW1 and the first season of OW2 and I've switched now to tank and dps and my god it's so much better. I tried a round of support the other day and it was just miserable, you're constantly aware of how dumb the rest of your team is, having to either peel off or let them die when they decide to go 1 v 4, constantly getting dived by the enemy dps or tank and having no one on your team turn around to help you etc. I'm decent at support so I fortunately rarely get the added benefit of people crying over not getting healed but its just so much WORK and going from support to tank or dps is night and day. So for those who are pure support players I'd suggest trying tank or dps for a couple weeks, do open queue first for a bit so there's less stress on you, especially as a solo tank but yeah, give yourself a break.

BrianBoitano
Nov 15, 2006

this is fine

Snuck in two QP matches this morning

First one, our Tracer did 500 total damage. Every fight, as soon as one of us died, Tracer would blink into the chasm and fall to her death. The second time I asked what was up, Tracer said "I'm getting focused, we lost fight, resetting" :psyduck:

We lost really hard, Tracer flamed, I reported, whatever.

Next match the same player is on my team again. Them: "you going to die 3 seconds each fight?" Me: "it's a new game, just play". We dominated, I had 0 deaths DF. A land of contrasts indeed.

BrianBoitano
Nov 15, 2006

this is fine

Cpt_Obvious posted:

Was watching my wife playing comp as rein on console. The enemy doom was doing his elbow drop to fly behind her shield, then using mouse and keyboard to swivel the camera fast enough so that the actual blow landed on rein and following up with a rocket punching him from behind.

PSA: you can have the benefits of both high mouse sensitivity to pull sick 180s at the same time as low mouse sensitivity for easier headshots. Maybe the DF uses this. I use "raw accel" and found my settings using this guide. I can screenshot my settings if you like, there were a couple UI changes that make this guide a touch confusing.

https://www.reddit.com/r/Competitiveoverwatch/comments/tkno1y/surefours_guide_on_how_to_use_mouse_acceleration/

Supposedly there's some blue post condoning it but hell if I can find it on mobile. If anyone has this, or their own mouse acceleration program / guide, I'd be happy to see!

Father Wendigo
Sep 28, 2005

BrianBoitano posted:

PSA: you can have the benefits of both high mouse sensitivity to pull sick 180s at the same time as low mouse sensitivity for easier headshots. Maybe the DF uses this. I use "raw accel" and found my settings using this guide. I can screenshot my settings if you like, there were a couple UI changes that make this guide a touch confusing.

https://www.reddit.com/r/Competitiveoverwatch/comments/tkno1y/surefours_guide_on_how_to_use_mouse_acceleration/

Supposedly there's some blue post condoning it but hell if I can find it on mobile. If anyone has this, or their own mouse acceleration program / guide, I'd be happy to see!

Did you miss the part where she was playing on console, presumably with a controller, and got matched against M+KB?

Issaries
Sep 15, 2008

"At the end of the day
We are all human beings
My father once told me that
The world has no borders"

Cpt_Obvious posted:

You can do Doomfists 180 Seismic Slam easily on gamepad with default settings and while aiming low. You can even do 360 turn if you go for a higher trajectory.

Kabuki Shipoopi
Jun 22, 2007

F.D. Signifier posted:

Yeah, I feel like every time I actually try shooting people as Bap in between the healing that just paints a big old target on my back and I get focused down and eliminated.

Whenever I played him I would stay as far back as possible and out of los. Only got close to use his aoe heal in emergencies. You can whip his shield out pretty far as a quick damage mitigator too. You don't need to place it out of los so the module can't be shot. Ideally that's what you want to do, but it still takes time to shoot it meaning the enemy isn't shooting your team for a few seconds.

BabyRyoga posted:

You should probably be playing OW supports closer to FFXIV 'healers' than legacy MMO pure healers.

I kinda miss the days of pure heal juggling in online games.

This is exactly it, especially with Bap. Hang way back and don't stop lobbing health grenades, shoot enemies if necessary, and keep an eye on flanks, and phara/echo.

The idea that support should spend half the time healing and half dpsing really depends upon the hero. Some times it's 50/50, sometimes it's 80/20 sometimes it's 20/80. It all depends on team makeup, the flow of the game, how good/bad your team and the enemy team is, etc.

There's so much nuance that gets overlooked most people think the game is like Quake 2 where it's just balls out rush/shoot/die/repeat and your heroes abilities just facilitate that rotation, when it's the total opposite of that.

BrianBoitano
Nov 15, 2006

this is fine

Father Wendigo posted:

Did you miss the part where she was playing on console, presumably with a controller, and got matched against M+KB?

No, I didn't miss that. I'm new back to this game so I intended to use OP's story to explain to other neophytes how some people seem to spin instantly like that DF.

Cpt_Obvious
Jun 18, 2007

Issaries posted:

You can do Doomfists 180 Seismic Slam easily on gamepad with default settings and while aiming low. You can even do 360 turn if you go for a higher trajectory.

Yah, but watching the kill feed it was clear that the doom was using m and k. I'm no doom player but his shots looked accurate and his cool down use was decent. There's no reason he should have been playing against a bronze player.

BabyRyoga
May 21, 2001

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021
Yeah, there isn't matchmaking right now. No more, no less.

Spring Break My Heart
Feb 15, 2012
The day/night variations of old maps look like total dogshit.

Jezza of OZPOS
Mar 21, 2018

I dont care about the various types of lighting for maps for the most part but for some reason overcast blizzard world gives me the shits. Why did you intentionally make it a lovely day at the theme park?

Cpt_Obvious
Jun 18, 2007

Yah it's baffling. Looks like trash.

Cpt_Obvious
Jun 18, 2007

They say they are completely reworking brigs ult and it really needs it in the game.

headcase
Sep 28, 2001

Cpt_Obvious posted:

They say they are completely reworking brigs ult and it really needs it in the game.

I really want her to have a few more damage per swing and just a scrap more of armor. Please let me ruin peoples' days again.

leftist heap
Feb 28, 2013

Fun Shoe
She sucked rear end all last season and they did gently caress all for her lol

Jezza of OZPOS
Mar 21, 2018

I still like playing brig and she can work fine in qp but theres almost always a better choice. Id like to see them throw the cat in tthe mix somehow

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

faantastic
Dec 31, 2006

that dude.

I took a month off cause of all the launch issues/people were still supertoxic and had my first few games back today. First two went great, third game the enemy manages to push the robot halfway to first checkpoint, and the person playing Mercy just types GG and sits in spawn trashing us. I don't think the match was more than a minute old and I had only died once when I saw them type their stuff in game. Reported, moved onto the next game. Next game, Busan, enemy team caps the point after the intiial unlock brawl which lasts a good minute or so. Tank screams at us for not healing him and then quits out, doesn't come back.

Really bummed, had this issue a few years ago and the karma system seemed to help a little bit, but now that that's been abandoned I'm not sure what they can do to not make half the games determined by if someone on one team wants to quit or throw.