Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Wilkins Micawber
Jan 27, 2005

as we leave this existence
looking for another
Fallen Rib
Thanks for the tips! I'll do whatever arcane ritual needed to update this thing. Pretty sure it involves goat blood, candles, and 3(?!) different types of urine.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cabbages and VHS
Aug 25, 2004

Listen, I've been around a bit, you know, and I thought I'd seen some creepy things go on in the movie business, but I really have to say this is the most disgusting thing that's ever happened to me.

just awful cable management :allears:

RocketMermaid
Mar 30, 2004

My pronouns are She/Heir.

Ok Comboomer posted:

move in the opposite direction from the GASsers

get really into esoteric, anachronistic, outdated modes of making music, such that your attention and desires will be focused on tape recorders, microphones, AMIGAs, iMac G3s, sources of weird noise, or other such things

I started out on music with trackers, I may as well have been making techno on stone tablets with a chisel. I admit to being intrigued by a lot of older equipment though.

Anybody here ever used or put together an actual tape delay? My DIY bug is itching and I'm wondering how hard it'd be to turn a basic tape recorder into a tape delay. Enough companies make eurorack interfaces for that sort of thing (I'm eyeing the AI Synthesis one) that it's starting to intrigue me.

petit choux
Feb 24, 2016

Cabbages and Kings posted:

Making me feel right at home. So yeah, pretty bad.

petit choux
Feb 24, 2016

RocketMermaid posted:

I started out on music with trackers, I may as well have been making techno on stone tablets with a chisel. I admit to being intrigued by a lot of older equipment though.

Anybody here ever used or put together an actual tape delay? My DIY bug is itching and I'm wondering how hard it'd be to turn a basic tape recorder into a tape delay. Enough companies make eurorack interfaces for that sort of thing (I'm eyeing the AI Synthesis one) that it's starting to intrigue me.

I don't think it's difficult at all to rig one up with cassettes but honestly I'd go r2r and not lofi. You can always bring the fi down lower if you need to. Oh, but I've found a few pages around on how to make your own cassette loops, or ones you can buy. And wow, come to think of it that transcriber I got might make it more interesting.

snorch
Jul 27, 2009
I’m really starting to understand why the 303 was beloved as a groove machine. Recently I’ve uncovered two rhythmic secrets of the ancients:

1. Keeping the notes of a pattern and just plugging in random combos of rests and 16ths in time mode can lead to some really interesting grooves.

2. Clocking it with an external sync signal you can get cool rhythmic effects by stopping and starting the clock to offset the bassline.

A little of both of those in this recording, where I’m muting and unmuting the track supplying the sync pulse:

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=4ephcZ5pegU

snorch fucked around with this message at 20:06 on Dec 10, 2022

InternetOfTwinks
Apr 2, 2011

Coming out of my cage and I've been doing just bad

This is AI generated right? All the wibbly not quite readable controls are loving with my head hard.

petit choux
Feb 24, 2016

InternetOfTwinks posted:

This is AI generated right? All the wibbly not quite readable controls are loving with my head hard.

LOL I hadn't noticed that. Naw, this thing is gonna start a cascading effect that's going to put the whole east coast down for at least 7 hours.

petit choux
Feb 24, 2016

petit choux posted:

LOL I hadn't noticed that. Naw, this thing is gonna start a cascading effect that's going to put the whole east coast down for at least 7 hours.

Hasn't happened since MF Doom

petit choux fucked around with this message at 00:27 on Dec 11, 2022

InternetOfTwinks
Apr 2, 2011

Protip: Something about how the Keystep/Keylab implements midi absolutely does NOT play nice with what the Squarp Pyramid is expecting to come in. Was getting all sorts of bizarre behavior with dropped notes, random cc messages and program changes. Running through a MIDI solutions box looks to clear everything up though and thankfully I've got an assload of them at this point lol. Beatstep Pro seemed to work out of the box just fine for whatever reason.

Cabbages and VHS
Aug 25, 2004

Listen, I've been around a bit, you know, and I thought I'd seen some creepy things go on in the movie business, but I really have to say this is the most disgusting thing that's ever happened to me.

InternetOfTwinks posted:

it is but it's also AI generated based on a picture of my rack.

abstracted

generative patches, generative images. can't wait for AmbientDiffusion :laugh:

petit choux
Feb 24, 2016

it is but it's also AI generated based on a picture of my rack.

abstracted

generative patches, generative images. can't wait for AmbientDiffusion :laugh:

Oh wow, what did you use for that

NonzeroCircle
Apr 12, 2010

El Camino
I'm currently abroad and after watching that Pete Cannon video from the last page (seen before but not for yonks) I downloaded Caustic onto my little lenovo tablet.

Ive tinkered with it before for acid jamz using the 909 and 303 but haven't really tried anything sample based.
DL'd the obligatory Holy Trinity of breaks (Think, Amen, Funky Drummer) to use in the PCM sampler.

Never realised Caustic had a standalone wave editor, let alone one as good as this!

10/10 will breakcore again.

petit choux
Feb 24, 2016

NonzeroCircle posted:

I'm currently abroad and after watching that Pete Cannon video from the last page (seen before but not for yonks) I downloaded Caustic onto my little lenovo tablet.

Ive tinkered with it before for acid jamz using the 909 and 303 but haven't really tried anything sample based.
DL'd the obligatory Holy Trinity of breaks (Think, Amen, Funky Drummer) to use in the PCM sampler.

Never realised Caustic had a standalone wave editor, let alone one as good as this!

10/10 will breakcore again.

I tried going to single cell software just now to look it up and was informed that there is a virus on my computer and I should click here to get rid of it

NonzeroCircle
Apr 12, 2010

El Camino
Oh no :ohdear:
On my tablet I just got "this app is made for an older version of android and may not work properly"

I did purchase a key for it a good 3 or 4 years ago though

Edit: this tablet is something I got due to an EE offer which for some idiot reason means it's cheaper to have my phone and tablet than just the phone contract. Its for reading comics, watching Nail The Mix and now making dumb music

NonzeroCircle fucked around with this message at 15:59 on Dec 11, 2022

Flipperwaldt
Nov 11, 2011

Won't somebody think of the starving hamsters in China?

Caustic is great and I'm not seeing anything odd on the website on my end with proper ad blocking. Certainly wouldn't mean anything about what's on the play store either.

InternetOfTwinks
Apr 2, 2011

So it begins. Was a gift, forgot to include a VCA so I went ahead and snagged an ADSR envelope generator and a mixer (was experimenting to see if I could get the VCA on the Werkstatt there working with it, haven't figured that out yet but I'm still tinkering), any other recommended modules to get started with things? Got the Pyramid and the Beatstep Pro so I think I'm alright for sequencers, maybe some drum modules since the BSP has those trigger outs?

Spiggy
Apr 26, 2008

Not a cop
I went and bought the Microfreak, played around with it, and brought it back after about a week and some change. It was a fun machine to mess around with, but ultimately I was playing with the sequencer 90% of the time and realized that wasn't the machine for me.

I went ahead and downloaded VCV Rack and have been working my way through some Red Means Recording videos and this was exactly what I wanted- robot farts and a drum machine. Is there some sort of MIDI controller I can use to map a bunch of knobs that is also relatively small and under the $100-150 mark?

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Korg's nano line are decent controllers that fit those criteria. If you want something a little beefier Arturia has one for $140.

There's a billion other knob controllers out there too, it just depends on how much time you want to put into reading over options.

edit - have fun: https://controllers.cc/

xzzy fucked around with this message at 15:58 on Dec 12, 2022

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

:hmmyes: Christmas gift ideas.

A MIRACLE
Sep 17, 2007

All right. It's Saturday night; I have no date, a two-liter bottle of Shasta and my all-Rush mix-tape... Let's rock.

Used bcr2000
Used edirol pcr

Cabbages and VHS
Aug 25, 2004

I got my DaisyPatch. I believe it works fine because it came with some multi-effect firmware loaded, and then I was able to flash several of the example firmwares from Daisy web programmer, after some bullshit with WebUSB. This all works and I/O and controls work.

I tried a couple firmwares distributed as BINs, the UIs load and the encoder knobs are recognized but they do not provide any audio output. Before I freak out about that I think I need to get my local development environment up, get to the point where I can self-compile and flash firmware from my local machine, and then experiment with recompiling the ones I am interested in (which have versions last built in 2020, no idea if Teensy has changed much or at all since).

It's a cool thing but the landscape of firmwares for it is kind of a wasteland and learning more C++ and fidgeting with my IDE is less interesting rn than just making bleeps, so I will probably just leave the (fairly decent, multi-controls) "verbz" example reverb module loaded for now.

Think of this thing as "An ornament, where the true crime is the amount of time you will spend loving with C++ libraries instead of twisting knobs".

If anyone else has a daisy of any kind, let me know

petit choux posted:

Oh wow, what did you use for that

stablediffusion 2.1 running locally on a 4090. It's fun, even if the underlaying tech is going to hasten the ruining of the world.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Speaking of Christmas, the last wave of M8's is up for sale this morning:

https://dirtywave.com/products/m8-tracker

Trash80 has said this will be the last "for a bit." No specific timeline that I know of but it'll be a ways into the new year.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

In other news, so long mutable:

https://mutable-instruments.net/

Thumposaurus
Jul 24, 2007

Speaking of VCV rack looks like the befaco pony VCO is now in the module library.

I use a maschine controller to have knobs available for tweaking on VCV.
The buttons come in handy for mapping to mutes, clock start/stop/reset record, etc...

B33rChiller
Aug 18, 2011

just had a play with Vult's new drum module, Trummor FM. Sounds good. nice doot doots, highly robotic flatulence.

tylertfb
Mar 3, 2004

Time.Space.Transmat.
I have a raspberry PI3 and a PiSound hat sitting in my drawer looking for a synth project. Any cool ideas I should check out? I'm probably going to start with the standard PiSound patchbox OS install and maybe set it up as a fancy multi-FX box for my setup, but I'd really like some kind of phrase sample player setup (like a bootleg SP-202 or whatever).

Alternatively, a dexed box.

Chainclaw
Feb 14, 2009

tylertfb posted:

I have a raspberry PI3 and a PiSound hat sitting in my drawer looking for a synth project. Any cool ideas I should check out? I'm probably going to start with the standard PiSound patchbox OS install and maybe set it up as a fancy multi-FX box for my setup, but I'd really like some kind of phrase sample player setup (like a bootleg SP-202 or whatever).

Alternatively, a dexed box.

One of the projects floating in my head I haven't gotten to yet is to make a eurorack module with a raspberry pi that reads data from a twitch chat and outputs signal based on that. So let people vote / spend channel points / type messages and convert those into different output signals using the raspberry pi + several digital to analog converters. Do things on the pi itself like group emotes into "happy" and "sad" groups and based on which is used more frequently toggle between major and minor key for a song, for example.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

.. art imitates life

petit choux
Feb 24, 2016

Thread, two questions if anybody can offer advice. First, has anybody besides myself had any difficulty with Korg drivers? My SQ-1 was at least sending to the computer via USB until I installed the driver. I'm currently looking at following through on a slightly long step-by-step on removing registry entries after using the Korg driver remover. Reaper is not recognizing it, though I've stepped away at the moment. I may just skip it and move on to the SQ-64, I just really like the -1. I had to use a workaround to connect the NTS-1 (I turned off the Korg driver, as I recall, whenever I wanted to dl a different synth or whatever) and I'm probably going to try the 64 sometime this week.

I guess for Christmas I'd ask everybody's forgiveness and patience, I'm kind of a slow learner. for my back story, I spent about 13 years working my rear end off as a court reporter but always wishing I could play music, I wound up purchasing a lot of gear over those 13 years that I never got to use properly, in good part due to using lovely secondhand dumpster dive gear and computers. On the upside I've learned to solder a little bit and as a court reporter I made it my business to learn how to work with multitrack recordings every day. Also since I've quit working as a court reporter I've been slowly selling off all my many years' acquisition of hardware just for a little spending money, while learning how to use some of it and getting caught up 13 years. Some time ago I became really, really tired of guitar rock I had listened to my whole life, and stopped detesting synths and started listening to them.

So voice of labor was suggesting we have another synth challenge. Unless anybody is opposed -- and if I am bothering anybody let me know -- I'm offering as a prize one of my old court reporter microphones. I think at some point I'll record myself reciting numbers with it so you have some idea of what it is. I put a pic of it up in his thread. Please everybody participate. I'll try to do better this time.

petit choux
Feb 24, 2016

Well maybe I shouldn't ask so much for Christmas then. I dunno.

petit choux
Feb 24, 2016

Here is the recent tape deck acquisition. I used to work with these for proofreading way back when. It appears to be in great shape. Going to have to try to make a tape loop now.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gICYS_bZQAE

j.peeba
Oct 25, 2010

Almost Human
Nap Ghost
Working on some new additions for my live set. A remix of one of my all time favourite goa trance tunes, Man With No Name's "Teleport" from 1994.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YeWJbXBjUZc

I have two probable but unconfirmed gigs lined up early next year. Let's hope the next summer season is bountiful since things tend to be more quiet during the everything-is-frozen season here. I managed to score four (unpaid but fun) gigs last summer but I want to continue picking up momentum. Playing live over PA with people dancing is such a rush.

duck.exe
Apr 14, 2012

Nap Ghost
New modules came today: Pamela’s New Workour, Dual Mini Sequencer, and 2hp Hat.

Next up: some rails for building a custom rack :getin:

net work error
Feb 26, 2011

Got my hands on a TipTop Buchla quad function generator and this things tons of fun. So many possibilities!

Carmant
Nov 23, 2015

Treadmill? What's that? Is that some kind of cake?

Tried to buy a used Korg Prologue last week and Guitar Center randomly cancelled my order. Figured it was out of stock and they just hadn't updated the website, but I saw the exact same item pop up again recently. When I called they said it was in stock but they aren't shipping out any keyboards at all during the holidays because UPS keeps destroying them in transit.

Thought that was kind of funny. And also I guess its a heads up for anyone thinking of buying anything from Guitar Center.

InternetOfTwinks
Apr 2, 2011

Yeah relative of mine ordered me a "like new" TR-8 that came in with flecks of house paint, sticky buttons, no power supply, and a missing knob so I'm done getting anything from them in the future. I mean I'm still using it because I don't give a gently caress but still.

Rolo
Nov 16, 2005

Hmm, what have we here?
I kicked them to the curb when my brand new Launchpad had scratches on it and was clearly a returned item. loving shady.

A MIRACLE
Sep 17, 2007

All right. It's Saturday night; I have no date, a two-liter bottle of Shasta and my all-Rush mix-tape... Let's rock.

yea i would never order used gear from guitar center. you can find good stuff in person at the store sometimes tho

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

A MIRACLE
Sep 17, 2007

Also yeah guitar center is notorious for selling open box returns as new