Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Should I step down as head of twitter
This poll is closed.
Yes 420 4.43%
No 69 0.73%
Goku 9001 94.85%
Total: 9490 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

Armitage
Aug 16, 2005

"Mathman's not here." "Oh? Where is he?" "He's in the Mathroom."

Dang It Bhabhi! posted:

She is just as lovely in her own ways. From money, a complete narcissist with no regard for others. Also the raft thing. Which was funny. http://www.startribune.com/local/west/49134952.html?page=all&prepage=1&c=y#continue

I agree, she's pretty god drat crazy and not someone I'd want to interact with. Still, not too many people can ever say they broke the brain of one of the world's wealthiest people.

Lamech posted:

can't wait to build elaborate ascii art ====++++++##### frames and poo poo for all my posts

People are gonna try to spam ASCII penises and it'll be grand.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dang It Bhabhi!
May 27, 2004

ASK ME ABOUT
BEING
ESCULA GRIND'S
#1 SIMP

Klyith posted:

What is "complete narcissist" about the boat story?

Sure, it's a well-off 20-something being a complete ding-dong, but so what? Lots of 20-somehtings are complete ding-dongs. She was trying to have a dumb adventure, not hurt other people.

The totality of her existence which I will not attempt to cite because it’s too early for that poo poo.

tight aspirations
Jul 13, 2009

Armitage posted:

People are gonna try to spam ASCII penises and it'll be grand.

A nice 280-character hook and then an ASCII dick after the fold would be quite funny.

A couple of times.

Kale
May 14, 2010

Hobo Clown posted:

"Mr Elton John sir, please don't leave Twitter sir, can you please provide an example of the misinformation you think is being spread?"

one day later

"Fauci deserves to be in prison for the covid hoax"

He didn't even give that much of a reason though. He put more effort into coming up with an alt-right anti-LGBT dog whistle to notify the desired people that he was posting than he did into a reason as to why he should be prosecuted. Like typically the way this works in a criminal case (assuming that's what this is cause who the gently caress knows the tweet was one vague line that was about 60% anti-LGBT trolling) is you accuse a person or entity of a specific crime that has an established legal and procedural basis (i.e is covered by some law, legislation or legal process), decide whether there's enough evidence and credible witness testimony that a crime was committed to have an authority such as a district attorney press charges on behalf of a state obligated to enforce a law. Then you submit your charge to a court to have a judge and jury appointed to determine whether a crime was committed based on a presentation and careful deliberate examination and appropriate cross-examination of ALL said evidence and testimony. Only THEN is punishment via sentencing by judge to be determined that yes somebody was found guilty of a crime by a jury of their peers.

Of course when it's all just one big joke against everyone left of Marjorie Taylor-Green and Alex Jones on the political spectrum like it is to Elon then none of this actually matters and you can say poo poo is about to get spicy right the gently caress now and then nothing for the next 6+ hours.

Cabbages and VHS
Aug 25, 2004

Listen, I've been around a bit, you know, and I thought I'd seen some creepy things go on in the movie business, but I really have to say this is the most disgusting thing that's ever happened to me.
i own a grimes album on vinyl and it's okay and I saw her do a set in a concrete pillbox firetrap of a DC venue post her tinnitus and she was pretty good and it was kind of cool to be wearing earplugs at a show and knowing the artist was too and also that they were also hearing tinnitus mixed with the music

then i totally lost track of her until Azelia Banks insane but epic instagram takedown

Almost Smart
Sep 14, 2001

so your telling me you wasn't drunk or fucked up in anyway. when you had sex with me and that monkey

BigglesSWE posted:

Gonna say this is very likely entirely an attempt to lure Trump back. You know he’s that desperate for the Trump appeal.

Thinking the same thing. Trump’s latest screeds are paragraphs of nonsense that can’t be contained to 240 characters. Ironically, that’s probably part of the reason they don’t have the same reach and impact - long-form essays don’t stick with people accustomed to having their political identities fit on a bumper sticker.

Alternatively, this could be the groundwork for the acquisition and merger of Truth with Twitter. I’m sure the former can be bought for $1B or less.

OzyMandrill
Aug 12, 2013

Look upon my words
and despair

A fixed character limit probably has massive performance implications. Twitter is all about a system of searching/collating and serving disparate small messages extremely fast. A fixed (small) size recalling can be taking a numeric message ID and deriving everything about the location just from that. If you arbitrarily increase the size 15x, then either you need to up the store by 15 times size (and migrate), have a new system and balance between new and old, or use variable sized storage which is an order of magnitude less efficient to recall and breaks the ID<->store mapping that you rely on for speed.
Luckily the way around all this by reducing the userbase substantially, 4d chess!

Entropic
Feb 21, 2007

patriarchy sucks

Steadiman posted:

https://twitter.com/PopCrave/status/1601935684415225860
I mean at this point just make it LiveJournal, why even stop at 4000 characters. I knew he wanted to raise the character count but I figured it would be 420 characters because lol so zany amirite? Was literally anybody even asking for this?

It's funny how in 15 years it's been completely forgotten that the original innovation of Twitter was "what if there was a micro-blogging site you could post to directly from your flip-phone via SMS text?" and that the 140char limit was actually a hard limitation based on SMS messages sizes.
The site entirely pre-dates smartphones and the whole always-online mobile app system it's now completely exemplary of.
In the early days you could post to Twitter from your phone but most people never read Twitter on their phone because they might not even have a data plan or a functional browser. The original stereotype of twitter was that it was a boring site of people just posting into the void about what they had for lunch.

It was probably healthier for us when you had to actually go home and boot up your PC to be On The Computer rather than all of us constantly being On The Computer everywhere we go.

OzyMandrill posted:

A fixed character limit probably has massive performance implications. Twitter is all about a system of searching/collating and serving disparate small messages extremely fast. A fixed (small) size recalling can be taking a numeric message ID and deriving everything about the location just from that. If you arbitrarily increase the size 15x, then either you need to up the store by 15 times size (and migrate), have a new system and balance between new and old, or use variable sized storage which is an order of magnitude less efficient to recall and breaks the ID<->store mapping that you rely on for speed.
Luckily the way around all this by reducing the userbase substantially, 4d chess!
Do we know how they did it when they went from 140 to 280? Did they just migrate the whole post database or had they built in extra leeway / variable sizing from the start?

WAR CRIME GIGOLO
Oct 3, 2012

The Hague
tryna get me
for these glutes

Why not 4000000
Unfortunately this is not conducive to the model of Twitter. As twitters posting style is like a quick drag from a cig. Upping it to 4000 will mean it is far less quick in and out read and post.

I Was The Fury
Oct 19, 2012

Always stop to smell the flowers, just in case they're weeds

WAR CRIME GIGOLO posted:

Why not 4000000
Unfortunately this is not conducive to the model of Twitter. As twitters posting style is like a quick drag from a cig. Upping it to 4000 will mean it is far less quick in and out read and post.

it's like the sink thing, he's building up to a great pun about tweets being in 4k

whydirt
Apr 18, 2001

Gaz Posting Brigade :c00lbert:
The biggest microblogs on the internet!

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

I had a video of that when I was about 6.

I remember it being shit.

Grimey Drawer
They moved to 280 at the suggestion of a senior engineering member, not a marketing exec. They knew exactly what they'd need to do and how to do it.

Elon fired that person.

Entropic
Feb 21, 2007

patriarchy sucks
normal healthy website, going well

I Was The Fury posted:

it's like the sink thing, he's building up to a great pun about tweets being in 4k

gently caress, that's it, isn't it

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

lol twitter still has the forced login that hides all the timeline content you try to view

i thought this was something george hotz said he was going to fix?

Entropic
Feb 21, 2007

patriarchy sucks

goatface posted:

They moved to 280 at the suggestion of a senior engineering member, not a marketing exec. They knew exactly what they'd need to do and how to do it.

They fired that person.

It would be funny if we found out that in the back-end every 280char tweet is actually two 140char original-flavour tweets stapled together.

Lamech
Nov 20, 2001

Soiled Meat
why not 4200 characters??

edit: why is my phone ringing

edit2: oh poo poo its elon i got offered a job

edit3: gently caress im fired

3hands
Feb 23, 2018

Data Graham posted:

Just a reminder in case it's been lost to the mists of time that the original limit of 240 characters was because Twitter started as an SMS gateway that you could post to by sending text messages to it and the SMS character limit was 240

There is no inherent reason for there to be a limit at all anymore

But the fact that there WAS a limit was key to its taking shape as a structured form of creative expression, like ad breaks in a 30-minute TV show

actually, it's based on the width of a roman wagon

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

goatface posted:

Elon fired that person.

I'd imagine part of that was looking at their existing systems and noting that if they doubled the character limit either nothing breaks or the performance hitch is barely noticeable to the point of not having to care about it (say, a few milliseconds more receiving the API endpoint data in the frontend). And that would've come from looking in-depth at every process over weeks or months to see how they handle the extra characters in various situations (idle, under load for a "busy" day, etc).

Meanwhile Ego Spendler there is probably going to say "lol, just increase the character limit check, look it's just one line of code!!"

Winkle-Daddy
Mar 10, 2007

Entropic posted:

Do we know how they did it when they went from 140 to 280? Did they just migrate the whole post database or had they built in extra leeway / variable sizing from the start?

probably something hilarious, like making a second 140 char text field that's optional.

Treecko
Apr 23, 2008

The Official Demon Girl
Boss of 2022!
Lol that Kyle is hashtagged too

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

Winkle-Daddy posted:

probably something hilarious, like making a second 140 char text field that's optional.

when they originally switched to 280 chars that's pretty much how it worked at the API level, the original "tweet text" field was truncated to 140 chars and they added an extended field with the full 280 char version

it was done that way to prevent old apps from breaking

Drone_Fragger
May 9, 2007

Teslas owners starting to think maybe teslas are bad if they're made by a guy who espouses alt tight conspiracies on twitter.

Aparthied clyde response: if you dont buy teslas you hage america and free speech

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

do peopleeven care about fauci outside terminally online rightwingers anymore

hes retiring and theres no way the us ever enacts another lockdown over covid

CatstropheWaitress
Nov 26, 2017

You would think the writers he tapped to publish the Twitter Files would some introspection that they're thesis seems to be "Twitter was biased and that was bad" while the new owner says and does political actions loudly and proudly... but not holding any breath here.

Scam Likely
Feb 19, 2021

Elon is willfully doing to Twitter exactly what Russian FSB could only fantasize about in their wildest dreams. What a fuckin turd.

thathonkey
Jul 17, 2012
theres no way they have the engineers to pull off a char limit increase. thats such a core feature of the system. it took them like 10 years to double the original one and thats with full staff and competent seniors leading the effort

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!
I mean I think people saying Elon is doing this in response to lockdowns shows how radicalized he is. Lockdowns as a concept are dead, they aren’t coming back. Only the most hardcore of hardcore still care about that

G-III
Mar 4, 2001

elon taking over twitter was the last straw for me on any and all social media that isn't a curated forum or discord chat room.

facebook: good for saying happy birthday to people and finding local events, poo poo at absolutely everything else and a place for klanma to post q-anon memes

twitter: was good at following some funny people and accounts posting clips of rare schlocky movies, now a loving dumpster hellscape of right-wing idiocy.

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

thathonkey posted:

theres no way they have the engineers to pull off a char limit increase. thats such a core feature of the system. it took them like 10 years to double the original one and thats with full staff and competent seniors leading the effort

unless of course this is another feature that was already in the pipe well before the takeover and elon is taking credit for something that was 90% ready to go already

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

Endorph posted:

do peopleeven care about fauci outside terminally online rightwingers anymore

hes retiring and theres no way the us ever enacts another lockdown over covid

Got some bad news about how many Americans see a mask and identify it as one of Biden's Lockdowns

Animal-Mother
Feb 14, 2012

RABBIT RABBIT
RABBIT RABBIT
The US never had anything approaching a "lockdown."

Ardemia
Jan 2, 2004

IT IS MY RIGHT TO GET BEHIND THE WHEEL WHEN I'VE PUT BACK SIX SHIRLEY TEMPLES OK

:patriot:
With the recent anti vax and anti fauci stuff, Ole Musky now is advocating the same political viewpoints as my great aunt.

The one who didn't finish high school and failed her GED test.

The one that has been committed to a mental health facility 5 times that I am aware of.

The one that takes opiates and benzos like they are mints.

Yeah, that one.

thathonkey
Jul 17, 2012

repiv posted:

unless of course this is another feature that was already in the pipe well before the takeover and elon is taking credit for something that was 90% ready to go already

possibly but just like ruining the verification system, it's so counter to everything that made twitter a unique social media platform i highly doubt it was in the works back before they fired all the product people.

like many elon musk promises i predict this is another thing that will never see the light of day and he'll stop talking about it very soon

Giraffe
Dec 12, 2005

Soiled Meat

CatstropheWaitress posted:

You would think the writers he tapped to publish the Twitter Files would some introspection that they're thesis seems to be "Twitter was biased and that was bad" while the new owner says and does political actions loudly and proudly... but not holding any breath here.
This has been one of the more confusing aspects of this whole weird “expose” for me. If your main argument is that the people who run twitter are morally obligated to be dispassionate Vulcans who only strive for absolute philosophic fairness, it somewhat undercuts your case when you as Twitter owner and CEO then demand people be jailed because of Facebook memes you saw. I know consistency isn’t Republicans’ strong suit but even for them this seems like some challenging doublethink.

digital penitence
Jan 3, 2008

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Giraffe posted:

This has been one of the more confusing aspects of this whole weird “expose” for me. If your main argument is that the people who run twitter are morally obligated to be dispassionate Vulcans who only strive for absolute philosophic fairness, it somewhat undercuts your case when you as Twitter owner and CEO then demand people be jailed because of Facebook memes you saw. I know consistency isn’t Republicans’ strong suit but even for them this seems like some challenging doublethink.
it makes sense when you realize that they see their opinions as absolutely intellectually and morally correct and the conclusions a completely objective observer would always arrive at

its the same reason they talk about the gay agenda or trans agenda or w/e, theres no way someone would arrive at those lifestyles without ulterior motives to destroy america or w/e

Randarkman
Jul 18, 2011

why isnt elon on that list of people going to the moon?

Ratjaculation
Aug 3, 2007

:parrot::parrot::parrot:

Randarkman posted:

why isnt elon on that list of people going to the moon?

they all have actual skills; cake throwing, polaroid photography, purple hair

Rhonne
Feb 13, 2012

Ardemia posted:

With the recent anti vax and anti fauci stuff, Ole Musky now is advocating the same political viewpoints as my great aunt.

The one who didn't finish high school and failed her GED test.

The one that has been committed to a mental health facility 5 times that I am aware of.

The one that takes opiates and benzos like they are mints.

Yeah, that one.

Your aunt sounds pretty hardcore.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hammerite
Mar 9, 2007

And you don't remember what I said here, either, but it was pompous and stupid.
Jade Ear Joe

Giraffe posted:

I know consistency isn’t Republicans’ strong suit

this reads like you think they strive for consistency, but are simply bad at it. this is not the case