Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Arrath
Apr 14, 2011

lunar detritus posted:

Any ideas why it says it's satisfied but then cancels the job?

Do you have any animals marked for butchering?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

lunar detritus
May 6, 2009

Arrath posted:

Do you have any animals marked for butchering?

...no. I assumed it worked like Rimworld, where any corpse would work

thunderspanks
Nov 5, 2003

crucify this

Tyler Whitney posted:

removing announcements is absurd. Hell, just removing the idlers number is actively detrimental to keeping your fortress on track. It's definitely sort of weird that they've regressed considering they should have been starting from the 47 build they locked in, what, 2 years ago?

I suspect, but obviously have no evidence, that these were changes Tarn made to streamline his own playtesting and in the hubbub of things he never added them back in. The outcry has been enormous and I can't see them not being reimplemented eventually.

Jazerus
May 24, 2011

lunar detritus posted:

...no. I assumed it worked like Rimworld, where any corpse would work

valid corpses will be autobutchered without you giving any orders. animals marked for butchering will too, actually - there's basically no reason to interact directly with your butcher shop once it's built

wilderthanmild
Jun 21, 2010

Posting shit

Grimey Drawer

beer gas canister posted:

Man I'm playing this again after more than decade of waiting for them to get the UI sorted and it's so good. Do they make the first seed easier? I've made it to the 2nd summer with no hassle from attackers or unfriendly wildlife.

It depends a lot on dumb luck and embark location. I'm on a wilderness Surroundings, which is the middle of spirit and savagery and all I got so far is lots of keas harassing anyone who goes outside and two goblin thieves we've caught and killed. Something in the Savage category like untamed wilds can be much more dicey with the wildlife.

As far as goblin raids, sometimes your civ is at peace with them which makes them not attempt sieges or raids. This isn't THAT uncommon and it happened in my current game. You seem to still get thieves and baby snatchers from them though.

Things like titans, dragons, etc are eventually attracted by wealth I think. There's also all kinds of evil poo poo deep underground if you keep digging even on the benign surroundings.

lunar detritus
May 6, 2009

Jazerus posted:

valid corpses will be autobutchered without you giving any orders. animals marked for butchering will too, actually - there's basically no reason to interact directly with your butcher shop once it's built

You're right, thank you. I just saw this existed

StarkRavingMad
Sep 27, 2001

Yams Fan

Cup Runneth Over posted:

I've noticed this change from previous versions, I suspect it's because dwarves mature at 18 now instead of 12 so dwarves that used to come in as adults are now still considered children. Over half my fort was kids at one point.

At least kids do basic chores stuff these days, they used to just take up space.

thunderspanks
Nov 5, 2003

crucify this

lunar detritus posted:

You're right, thank you. I just saw this existed

newbie tip: turn off that 'automatically collect webs' order if you're breaching a cavern for the first time until you're absolutely sure it's safe (or you like fun)

Appoda
Oct 30, 2013

beer gas canister posted:

Man I'm playing this again after more than decade of waiting for them to get the UI sorted and it's so good. Do they make the first seed easier? I've made it to the 2nd summer with no hassle from attackers or unfriendly wildlife.

If you embark in a fairly safe area (calm surroundings, nothing evil right next door, close to civ/friendly civs who aren't at war, no breached caverns, etc), you can have a reasonably peaceful time. My first real fort went to year 3 with little more than some uppity skunks, tho we did eventually get an angry hill giant. I was sitting on my laurels and had only started figuring out the squad screen the month before, but it was 1 giant vs ~15 or so dwarves with masterwork steel battleaxes. He still managed to punch a migrant's head clean off before he got surrounded and hacked to death.

But have no fear, the Fun will come. Even if you're in a very peaceful setting, you can dig down into the cavern layers if you're jonesing for some action.

I recently nearly lost a fort to trying to live entirely in the cavern layer; gonna try to put a story together for the gang tag when I get home. I'm still not sure entirely what happened, but what evidence I could collect (the combat logs bugged out on me) seems to indicate that the forgotten beast who killed 17 of my 20 dwarves met its end at the horns and hooves of a stray yak bull.

Gnoman
Feb 12, 2014

Come, all you fair and tender maids
Who flourish in your pri-ime
Beware, take care, keep your garden fair
Let Gnoman steal your thy-y-me
Le-et Gnoman steal your thyme

thunderspanks posted:

I suspect, but obviously have no evidence, that these were changes Tarn made to streamline his own playtesting and in the hubbub of things he never added them back in. The outcry has been enormous and I can't see them not being reimplemented eventually.

More likely, they're things that Toady removed for the specific purpose of building a newer system, and that newer system didn't get built in before release.

wilderthanmild
Jun 21, 2010

Posting shit

Grimey Drawer
Spoiler tagged since some people might wanna discover new things on their own.

That last one at least seems new. I wonder what horrible thing will happen if I mine it!

carticket
Jun 28, 2005

white and gold.

My dwarfs keep trying to gather fruit from trees with stepladders, and they keep getting the ladder stolen from them. I set the gathering zone to not harvest from trees and trimmed the gathering zone back so that it doesn't get anywhere near trees, but unless I say "nobody does this" for gather plants, they still seem to try.

Bold Robot
Jan 6, 2009

Be brave.

Probably a dumb question but I'm a little confused about caravans and how they access the trading depot. I've seen people talk about wagons needing to access the depot, but my depot is down some stairs and caravans have been able to get in fine so far (I'm only a couple years in). Are there like, other types of caravans that might appear later on that will need to be able to bring in a wagon? How do I know whether my depot is accessible or not?

Danaru
Jun 5, 2012

何 ??
Once you have over 50+ dwarves, the humans and dwarves will send 3x3 wagons to your depot. If they can't reach it, it'll just be whatever pack animals they usually bring

Appoda
Oct 30, 2013

Yeah, you have to make sure there's at least one continuous 3x3 path to your trade depot. You can mine out ramps if you want to keep things underground.

carticket posted:

My dwarfs keep trying to gather fruit from trees with stepladders, and they keep getting the ladder stolen from them. I set the gathering zone to not harvest from trees and trimmed the gathering zone back so that it doesn't get anywhere near trees, but unless I say "nobody does this" for gather plants, they still seem to try.

They want those sweet treats. Nature's bounty is just out of reach.

For some reason this never happens to me - my dwarves mostly harvest spinach and berries or whatever.

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh
on one of my embarks I keep having this thing where like... I cut down trees, and then suddenly "something collapsed on the surface", there's a big puff of sand, and nearby woodcutters are knocked unconscious.

Nettle Soup
Jan 30, 2010

Oh, and Jones was there too.

I think this is it for Shotclear. I got invaded by goblins and limped on, but then elves turned up, and I had nobody left I could turn into fighters. I couldn't assign any nobility, so no fighters. I guess because they hadn't got their act together to elect a mayor yet.

I don't even know why the elves were pissed at me, I didn't even chop any trees recently!

Lemon
May 22, 2003

does it make much difference what your origin civilisation is and how far away from them your embark location is?

Sab669
Sep 24, 2009

IronicDongz posted:

on one of my embarks I keep having this thing where like... I cut down trees, and then suddenly "something collapsed on the surface", there's a big puff of sand, and nearby woodcutters are knocked unconscious.

I'm guessing like the tree branches on higher "levels" probably just fall down and dome your dorfs. I've had that happen a few times as well, can't really come up with any other hypothesis :shrug:

Super No Vacancy
Jul 26, 2012

this happened to me too but one time the ground also collapsed into a lake. maybe a branch hit a tile near the river idk

Nettle Soup
Jan 30, 2010

Here's a little fortress report, for the end days.

Here is half of my corpse/refuse stockpile.

The second dining room, to replace the one which had a hill titan living in it.

I had managed to get my old dining room back, and was starting to work out how to get the hill titan silk without having to kill a kitten each time. It wouldn't shoot through the fortifcations, no matter what I did, I just ended up almost killing it. Forbidden doors are kind of a cheat, so I was trying to do it without having to rely on that.

This was the library. The bookcases are made of platinum, and I was aiming for platinum doors next. Sadly, I never got that far.

There was a lot more to it, a huge temple mined out of an clay-vein, guildhalls, caverns, a whole admin wing.

I'm tempted to reclaim, but it may be best to just let it die.

wilderthanmild
Jun 21, 2010

Posting shit

Grimey Drawer
So I keep finding pools of blood belonging to a dwarf who isn't on any of my lists of dwarves, living or dead. This has been going on a while.

Is this some fun like a vampire or something?

Broken Cog
Dec 29, 2009

We're all friends here
Wait, can I not make a public tomb with multiple coffins?

Nettle Soup
Jan 30, 2010

You cannot. You can technically paint each coffin as its own zone, but it's a pain and the kitfox discord claim it makes dwarves unhappy.

Broken Cog
Dec 29, 2009

We're all friends here
Welp, good to know for my next fortress, cheers!

nielsm
Jun 1, 2009

Glad to see that the old "trick" to preserve arrows from archery ranges still works:

Just dig a channel around the targets so the arrows will fall down another level, that prevents them from breaking and you can recover them.
With the new room/zone designation UI it's also easier to do since you don't need a path between the targets and rest of the room on the same level.

Fox Cunning
Jun 21, 2006

salt-induced orgasm in the mouth
So I bought it on steam after not playing for many years and holy poo poo it is actually playable. The UI is reasonably useful. This is amazing, I could just jump into a game and not have to relearn a million shortcuts.

Nettle Soup
Jan 30, 2010

They're like vultures.

Good to know about the archery ranges!

Do we have a legacy game going on?

Nettle Soup fucked around with this message at 19:22 on Dec 11, 2022

Pakled
Aug 6, 2011

WE ARE SMART

Lemon posted:

does it make much difference what your origin civilisation is and how far away from them your embark location is?

(Based on knowledge from the pre-Steam version)

Distance from your origin civilization doesn't matter, as long as there's an accessible land route. If there's no land route, then you won't get any migrant waves (perhaps after the first two waves?)

Distance from other civilizations determines if you get human/elven caravans and goblin/undead sieges.

Which origin civilization you pick can have an effect on your fortress. If you pick a civilization that's dead or dying, then that could significantly limit the number of migrant waves you receive. You can avoid this simply by picking a civilization with a decent population.

SSJ_naruto_2003
Oct 12, 2012

Quinton posted:

I tried picking the default ranger uniform and then manually overriding the armor bits to 'metal' (since I have copper armor a plenty).

Are marksdwarves supposed to pick up and consume bolts while training?

Should the archery range be within the barracks or just nearby? Or do I need one at all?

So far I have not had much luck militia-ing...
I think when you edited the uniform it saved it with no bolts. Until it's fixed do not gently caress with ranger uniform.

Broken Cog
Dec 29, 2009

We're all friends here
Ok, another reminder to myself for the next fort; make a dungeon before you designate a captain of the guard. Especially if you don't notice that there's a bunch of outstanding cases due to export restriction violations.

Shoehead
Sep 28, 2005

Wassup, Choom?
Ya need sumthin'?
Lol so I wanted to start a kobold camp, just to have fun with building wood huts and shallow warrens in the forest, very undwarfy. Unfortunately I also installed the Dwarfemon mod for some fun and boy I ended up with Fun. About 2 months in after getting all my above ground crops up and running, a tiny mine and a bunkhouse up, some random fire type pokemon I don't recognise swooped in and burned the entire forest to the ground

wilderthanmild
Jun 21, 2010

Posting shit

Grimey Drawer
This game rules the most when you look at the details. My fort got attacked by a cyclops. I sent the military out fully expecting some losses or at least wounded dwarves because my military is very inexperienced despite being fairly well equipped. Well the very first dwarf to engage him shot him in the gut so he spent 95% of the fight vomiting.

They spent what felt like a day bashing him to death and riddling him with bolts.

a7m2
Jul 9, 2012

Nettle Soup posted:

Jesus, all I want is civilian alerts and a burrow system that works.

Same. I might take a break from it until they fix these two and the announcement log at least. There's more I want but these are especially annoying

Clocks
Oct 2, 2007

SSJ_naruto_2003 posted:

I think when you edited the uniform it saved it with no bolts. Until it's fixed do not gently caress with ranger uniform.

I have absolutely successfully made an all-metal marksdwarf uniform. However I have also unsuccessfully done that. Even worse I've had the default archer squad end up with no ammo either.

It just seems buggy in general, especially without a way to manually designate ammo. My suggestion is to actually, in fact, gently caress around with the uniform and/or just reform the squad entirely if you notice your marksdwarves have no ammo.

Having played quite a lot these past few days I agree with the posts about some of the missing UI stuff. However I have faith that toady will work on it. None of it seems insurmountable in terms of putting it in the game or anything, it just seems like oversights with getting the new UI out. Overall the game is a ton more accessible than it used to be and it's still a lot of fun.

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

Why would an ambulance be leaving the hospital?

Broken Cog posted:

Ok, another reminder to myself for the next fort; make a dungeon before you designate a captain of the guard. Especially if you don't notice that there's a bunch of outstanding cases due to export restriction violations.

Did he kill everyone??

Teriyaki Koinku
Nov 25, 2008

Bread! Bread! Bread!

Bread! BREAD! BREAD!

Arrath posted:

:hmmyes:

I quite enjoyed Deeplance part 2, and the horny Human Bard of a few pages ago was possibly one of the funniest things I've seen in the past month.

Can you please quote the bard story? I can't seem to find it.

Broken Cog
Dec 29, 2009

We're all friends here

HopperUK posted:

Did he kill everyone??

Not everyone, but he bashed in the skull of 3 dwarves, and sent half a dozen more to the hospital.

Admiral Joeslop
Jul 8, 2010

If I wall and roof in a pasture, will the grass still regrow?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

HopperUK posted:

Hey heads up, if you post a cool story but you don't mention you want a gangtag, I'm not gonna just drop one on you. Some people might not like it. So if you think you shoulda had one but you don't get it by, say, the end of Tuesday when we're going to close off giving them out, send me one (1) PM and I will check and fix it.

They don't happen automatically. One of us has to queue it and a mod has to approve it. So don't panic if it doesn't happen right away, okay?

Now keep posting about your fortresses please thank you.

If you'd swap out my old tags for the df one that'd be good