Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

Why would an ambulance be leaving the hospital?

Tunicate posted:

If you'd swap out my old tags for the df one that'd be good

Sure, I did enjoy your bit about the shinkicking child.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Stairmaster
Jun 8, 2012

where do you store keyboards? they don't seem to count as furniture

carticket
Jun 28, 2005

white and gold.

Broken Cog posted:

Ok, another reminder to myself for the next fort; make a dungeon before you designate a captain of the guard. Especially if you don't notice that there's a bunch of outstanding cases due to export restriction violations.

Are the dorfs not attending their mandatory annual ITAR training?

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

carticket posted:

Are the dorfs not attending their mandatory annual ITAR training?
You get too used to no consequences for the mayor's random "DO NOT EXPORT SCEPTRES" and then one was in the *Finished Goods bin*. Now everyone gets in trouble.

Tarezax
Sep 12, 2009

MORT cancels dance: interrupted by MORT

Admiral Joeslop posted:

If I wall and roof in a pasture, will the grass still regrow?

No, but if you breach the caverns you can make a pasture of underground flora.

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

This will make sure you don't suggest to the KDz
That he should grow greens instead of crushing on MCs

Grimey Drawer

Nessus posted:

You get too used to no consequences for the mayor's random "DO NOT EXPORT SCEPTRES" and then one was in the *Finished Goods bin*. Now everyone gets in trouble.

DF is an Iran-Contra simulator.

Gnoman
Feb 12, 2014

Come, all you fair and tender maids
Who flourish in your pri-ime
Beware, take care, keep your garden fair
Let Gnoman steal your thy-y-me
Le-et Gnoman steal your thyme

wilderthanmild posted:

So I keep finding pools of blood belonging to a dwarf who isn't on any of my lists of dwarves, living or dead. This has been going on a while.

Is this some fun like a vampire or something?

It can be, or it could just be a visitor who's under an assumed name for the purpose of espionage. The way the game handles false identities is very wonky, to the point where I'm not sure if it is working as intended or not.

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh
If I butcher a tame giant mosquito, can I actually use the chitin for anything

nielsm
Jun 1, 2009

Stairmaster posted:

where do you store keyboards? they don't seem to count as furniture

All musical instruments, and I assume parts to assemble to instruments, are in the Finished goods stockpile. Even those you need to build as furniture.

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh

we're eating good tonight boys

deep dish peat moss
Jul 27, 2006

So I know dwarves can't hurt each other while sparring. What's the point of training weapons? Is it just that they're cheaper to make? Is there any reason to make training weapons if my actual military dwarves have iron weapons?

StarkRavingMad
Sep 27, 2001

Yams Fan
Has anyone else had an issue with your doctor not doing anything? I have three dwarves injured in a minotaur fight. They got dragged to the hospital beds but they've just been there waiting for diagnosis for like a month. Meanwhile my chief medical officer is just loving around. I even designated another doctor and a dignostician and they aren't doing anything either.

Elderbean
Jun 10, 2013

My manager got possessed, proceeded to dedicate all of her time to making something at the stone shop but went berserk before she could finish and got beaten to death.

Problem is I can’t seem to bury her? I made a room, gave it a door, and designated it as a tomb and put a coffin in there by her body is still in the corpse pile. When I click the tab to assign the tomb to someone her name isn’t there.

Nettle Soup
Jan 30, 2010

Oh, and Jones was there too.

Set up the healthcare jobs as a custom labour order that anyone can do, and then force somebody to do it by restricting them to only that job. It seems very low priority otherwise.

Somehow, Shotclear is recovering again, god help me.

Jazerus
May 24, 2011

deep dish peat moss posted:

So I know dwarves can't hurt each other while sparring. What's the point of training weapons? Is it just that they're cheaper to make? Is there any reason to make training weapons if my actual military dwarves have iron weapons?

dwarves used to hurt each other while sparring, they're mostly a relic from those days. also if you're nervous about the mental state of a particular soldier it could be a good idea to downgrade them to a training weapon to limit the damage they can do if they snap

Pickled Tink
Apr 28, 2012

Have you heard about First Dog? It's a very good comic I just love.

Also, wear your bike helmets kids. I copped several blows to the head but my helmet left me totally unscathed.

Finally you should check out First Dog as it's a good comic I like it very much.
Fun Shoe
I do not understand how you are all having problems with woodcutting. I gave my woodcutter actual woodcutting skill at embark, and as a result he topples trees so they fall away from him rather than on top of like your amateurs.

StarkRavingMad posted:

Has anyone else had an issue with your doctor not doing anything? I have three dwarves injured in a minotaur fight. They got dragged to the hospital beds but they've just been there waiting for diagnosis for like a month. Meanwhile my chief medical officer is just loving around. I even designated another doctor and a dignostician and they aren't doing anything either.
Yeah, I had that problem. You need to open the hospital zone and assign them to the diagnostician, surgeon, etc positions, same as assigning musicians and priests to temples and taverns.

Flavahbeast
Jul 21, 2001

my first cavern layer is filling with hostile bird people from a nearby Cave Swallow Man civilization faster than I can kill them. They don't try to invade but instead they hang out at the edges of the map in huge numbers and they'll swoop in to instantly murder any civilian or dog they see. They have a lot of steel spears so even heavily armed axelords can get isolated and overwhelmed in the hosed up cavern pathing. I've sealed the caverns and carved archer nests into the stalactites to make a cool shooting gallery

nielsm
Jun 1, 2009

StarkRavingMad posted:

Also try switching the "worker is specialized" flag on them, to make them do only the specifically assigned jobs and not anything else.

I got a big elf siege now, with war grizzly bear mounts and all. My count says 42 elves and probably as many animals. They also brought horses and moose.

Super No Vacancy
Jul 26, 2012

hmm i thought putting water through a diagonal was supposed to make it not flood my well

nielsm
Jun 1, 2009

The first grizzly bear killed happened to be right inside one of the doorways to my topside fort. Now I can't close it and just wait out.

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

Super No Vacancy posted:

hmm i thought putting water through a diagonal was supposed to make it not flood my well
I think the diagonal makes it lose pressure/force so anything that happens will happen at a leisurely pace, but if you're below the level of water, well

StarkRavingMad
Sep 27, 2001

Yams Fan

Pickled Tink posted:

I do not understand how you are all having problems with woodcutting. I gave my woodcutter actual woodcutting skill at embark, and as a result he topples trees so they fall away from him rather than on top of like your amateurs.

Yeah, I had that problem. You need to open the hospital zone and assign them to the diagnostician, surgeon, etc positions, same as assigning musicians and priests to temples and taverns.

Yeah I did all that, they still didn't seem to care.

nielsm posted:

Also try switching the "worker is specialized" flag on them, to make them do only the specifically assigned jobs and not anything else.

This worked, as soon as I switched their specialization on they ran over to diagnose. Maybe it's just a low priority job (which is kind of funny)

nielsm
Jun 1, 2009

Do dwarves ever learn to keep formation, or at least always move in groups.

Edit: Oh well, the elf war party left, and instead an elf dancing party arrived?!? With some goblin members too.
Edit 2: They're called The Musical Deaths. Do I trust them...

nielsm fucked around with this message at 21:02 on Dec 11, 2022

wilderthanmild
Jun 21, 2010

Posting shit

Grimey Drawer

nielsm posted:

The first grizzly bear killed happened to be right inside one of the doorways to my topside fort. Now I can't close it and just wait out.

Did they destroy the door?

Friend
Aug 3, 2008

Everything was going swimmingly in my fort, when suddenly some dipshit took over the craftsdwarf workshop and started asking for bones. I made sure the pig bones I had outside weren't forbidden, slaughtered a couple animals, and even went as far as to murder a visiting dwarf (and his wife who tried to protect him I guess oops) but none of these were good enough. I then sent my militia out to kill some passing giraffes, when suddenly...

Goblins.

About eight or ten goblins appear, so I rush everyone into the emergency burrow ("indoors") and pull the drawbridge closed. Only one goblin got inside, and my militia literally beat the pants off him.

I quickly check that the possessed dwarf was still docile, and then look at the battle log; the heard of giraffes I was trying to kill had proceeded to fight all the goblins for me. Between that and a couple visiting monster slayers that didn't leave my above-ground tavern when the alarms went off, I only had two well-bloodied goblins to deal with. I sent my militia out to kill them, and when the dust settled I noticed the possessed dwarf had finally left the workshop to collect bones.

Motherfucker took the pig bones and all he made was a chair.

Ursine Catastrophe
Nov 9, 2009

It's a lovely morning in the void and you are a horrible lady-in-waiting.

don't ask how i know

Dinosaur Gum
What labor subtask is "planting poo poo in farming fields and picking them"? I keep ending up with withered crops and I can't tell if that's "nobody's picking them fast enough" or if I just haven't had to babysit it enough in the past to notice that plants naturally wither over time even while harvested, and I'm not what the breakdown between "Plant Gathering", "Farming (Fields)", "Hauling Food" and "Plant Processing" is.

Would designating a plant-gathering zone help? Do farms even count as "plants to gather"?

Dark Off
Aug 14, 2015

wait a minute thats not my civ..

if she seeks full citizenship i guess i could send her to raid her own civilization for !!!fun!!

nielsm
Jun 1, 2009

Ursine Catastrophe posted:

What labor subtask is "planting poo poo in farming fields and picking them"? I keep ending up with withered crops and I can't tell if that's "nobody's picking them fast enough" or if I just haven't had to babysit it enough in the past to notice that plants naturally wither over time even while harvested, and I'm not what the breakdown between "Plant Gathering", "Farming (Fields)", "Hauling Food" and "Plant Processing" is.

Would designating a plant-gathering zone help? Do farms even count as "plants to gather"?

Harvesting from farms is harvesting. Plant gathering is only gathering from wild growing plants.

In the Labor (y) > Standing orders > Other menu, you can toggle between "Everybody harvests" and "Only farmers harvest".

Clocks
Oct 2, 2007

Ursine Catastrophe posted:

So planting is a planter task (by default everyone does this, but you can make a specific dwarf do it, which will increase the yield if they're good at it). It's one of the labors that has its own unique task that you can set from the labors menu. Harvesting should be auto-on by default for everyone.

Were you in a burrow or were the farms inaccessible somehow? Not enough room in stockpiles? I don't think I've had crops wither but it's also super easy to set-and-forget farms so I haven't noticed one way or the other.

Asterite34
May 19, 2009

Flavahbeast posted:

my first cavern layer is filling with hostile bird people from a nearby Cave Swallow Man civilization faster than I can kill them. They don't try to invade but instead they hang out at the edges of the map in huge numbers and they'll swoop in to instantly murder any civilian or dog they see. They have a lot of steel spears so even heavily armed axelords can get isolated and overwhelmed in the hosed up cavern pathing. I've sealed the caverns and carved archer nests into the stalactites to make a cool shooting gallery

How the hell are subterranean animal people getting access to steel? They shouldn't have access to anything better than primitive wooden spears and blowguns. Did they build up enough civilization to develop advanced smelting? Like, really advanced, better than most human civs who cap out at iron? Or are some dwarves somewhere supplying them with weapons like one of those CIA-backed Contras?

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

Friend posted:

Motherfucker took the pig bones and all he made was a chair.

You *can* savescum this stuff. I used to savescum just to get goblin bone furniture.

Nettle Soup
Jan 30, 2010

Is anyone else just getting scrolls lying everywhere? Nobody ever moves them to my library, I can't even desginate them for dumping, the only way I've found to move them at all is to build something over them.

Clocks
Oct 2, 2007

If you have a library they'll often haul around books and scrolls to read or discuss them, but usually they'll put them back, especially if you have bookcases (not chests, those are for storing writing utensils). That said my tavern does have random instruments and a couple books lying around, I think some of those were from visitors who got interrupted or something.

If those items are "owned" by a dwarf then they probably won't be hauled though.

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

I've been infested with chickens, send help

Nettle Soup
Jan 30, 2010

Whoever owned them is long dead now, but I guess the ownership flags just don't go away. Kinda irritating, I miss dfhack.

Mirthless
Mar 27, 2011

by the sex ghost

Nettle Soup posted:

Is anyone else just getting scrolls lying everywhere? Nobody ever moves them to my library, I can't even desginate them for dumping, the only way I've found to move them at all is to build something over them.

Is this a guild hall? They might be property of the guild instead

Nettle Soup posted:

Whoever owned them is long dead now, but I guess the ownership flags just don't go away. Kinda irritating, I miss dfhack.

:sigh: me too

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

Nettle Soup posted:

Kinda irritating, I miss dfhack.

It's being actively worked on, the update guy(s) just have a shitload of work to do.

Personally I'm just waiting on quickfort to get re-implemented.

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

Hmm, I've got a Goblin dark zombie performing at my tavern. Well, as long as he doesn't start any poo poo...

Why is everyone dumping their meals in this random office!? I just built you a perfectly grand dining hall!

Mirthless
Mar 27, 2011

by the sex ghost

Hieronymous Alloy posted:

You *can* savescum this stuff. I used to savescum just to get goblin bone furniture.

IDK if this has changed in the most recent version or not, but I believe moody dwarves respect material restrictions - setting material for an artifact should be as simple as mass restricting undesired materials, you just gotta do it before the dwarf claims a workshop. As long as the dwarf doesn't have any specific material preferences ("s/he likes Rose Gold, Bronze, etc.") they should use whatever material isn't restricted

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bold Robot
Jan 6, 2009

Be brave.

Is there a good guide anywhere on working with water? There's a river next to my base that I'd like to channel underground so I can use it for a water source and also I guess power. But I don't even know where to start.