Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

HA! HA! NICE! WHAT A TOOL!

gandlethorpe posted:

Is it just me, or is the Pyro Fatui challenge a massive jump in difficulty?
It's definitely the hardest thing so far. It's a little confusing that it's hard because its 2 vs 3 and they just attack. I had to designate a punching bag to eat one of the bursts.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MadHat
Mar 31, 2011

No Wave posted:

It's definitely the hardest thing so far. It's a little confusing that it's hard because its 2 vs 3 and they just attack. I had to designate a punching bag to eat one of the bursts.

They hit really hard, not much setup either so they just start out punching you and continue in that fashion.

gandlethorpe
Aug 16, 2008

:gowron::m10:
They also have damage reduction and cheap bursts. I had to do a freeze build to beat them and still just barely won without losing anyone.

Helpful fact: if you kill someone with an NA while XQ's burst is up, he'll hit the character that swaps in. This saved me from losing a character by freezing the swapping Fatui who would've immediately used his burst.

MNSNTZR
Oct 13, 2012

Mix. posted:

i think it'd be funny if baizhu has interactions with geo (bc he's in liyue) just so we can get a dendro unit that works good w/ geo even w/ no reaction

my pet theory is that there’s no geo interaction because the only one that makes sense would be petrification — which would tank zhongli and freeze stocks

gandlethorpe
Aug 16, 2008

:hellyeah:

https://i.imgur.com/wYvfAyH.mp4

Odysseus S. Grant
Oct 12, 2011

Cats is the oldest and strongest emotion
of mankind

gandlethorpe posted:

Yeah, I just barely managed to get the 3/3 rewards on my first attempt, using my keqing/fischl/collei deck. Summons plinking away at the stealth charges, followed by big aggravate hits seemed to line up pretty well against them, but it was definitely down to the wire.

RPATDO_LAMD
Mar 22, 2013

🐘🪠🍆

Zenostein posted:

Speaking of cosmetic nonsense, I can't quite figure out what it is I've gotten for "character proficiency" rewards. It says it's a front for the character card, but I don't have any idea what that does, and as far as I can tell the only visual option for those cards is having a sweet animated one or not.

You get the foil version of the unique equipment card, not the character itself. They're a lot less flashy, just a gold border and shine effect w/ no animation

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

Hail all those who are able,
any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry

RPATDO_LAMD posted:

You get the foil version of the unique equipment card, not the character itself. They're a lot less flashy, just a gold border and shine effect w/ no animation

Also note, you've got Kaeya, Diluc, Sucrose, and Fischl pre-unlocked on the challenge board, and you'll want to invite them for a duel so you can grab their empowered skill/burst cards.

I find it weird that Diluc and Diona are like the least salty when they can't win a children's card game.

Zenostein
Aug 16, 2008

:h::h::h:Alhamdulillah-chan:h::h::h:

RPATDO_LAMD posted:

Oh, guess I should actually fight them so I get their bonus skill cards. I should also see if those work when the character's not active. Instantly cast a skill for 4 dice when off-field sounds super appealing. Even when the skill leaves you open to becoming a popsicle.

I did think it's funny that apparently everything has a dynamic skin, but for non-character stuff it's just a very slightly moving background. Not sure why they'd even bother if you [presumably] can't use actual money to have a full whale-rear end deck.

Glazius posted:

Also note, you've got Kaeya, Diluc, Sucrose, and Fischl pre-unlocked on the challenge board, and you'll want to invite them for a duel so you can grab their empowered skill/burst cards.

I find it weird that Diluc and Diona are like the least salty when they can't win a children's card game.

Diluc definitely killed some extra abyss dudes later. I genuinely don't get why the english script has diona so into this game, or randomly making weird sounds. It's been ages since I've done anything involving her, but she really didn't strike me as the type, and she was noticably not saying pew pew pew in japanese.

slicing up eyeballs
Oct 19, 2005

I got me two olives and a couple of limes

gandlethorpe posted:

They hit hard but I cleared them alright (at the cost of a sacrifice yeah). The real unexpected difficulty for me was collei. She and dendro absolutely destroyed my poo poo, I won with 1 hp left on kaeya. first time I didn't ace a challenge first try and I'm in no rush to rematch :whoptc:. Time to build hyperbloom team though

slicing up eyeballs fucked around with this message at 20:57 on Dec 11, 2022

RPATDO_LAMD
Mar 22, 2013

🐘🪠🍆

Zenostein posted:

Oh, guess I should actually fight them so I get their bonus skill cards. I should also see if those work when the character's not active. Instantly cast a skill for 4 dice when off-field sounds super appealing. Even when the skill leaves you open to becoming a popsicle.

I did think it's funny that apparently everything has a dynamic skin, but for non-character stuff it's just a very slightly moving background. Not sure why they'd even bother if you [presumably] can't use actual money to have a full whale-rear end deck.

Diluc definitely killed some extra abyss dudes later. I genuinely don't get why the english script has diona so into this game, or randomly making weird sounds. It's been ages since I've done anything involving her, but she really didn't strike me as the type, and she was noticably not saying pew pew pew in japanese.

Skill cards don't work from off field but if you're interested in that cast-while-offfield stuff you should try out keqing since her lightning stiletto skill lets her do that.

Leathal
Oct 29, 2004

wanna be like gucci?
lil buddy eat your vegetables
Do any Sumeru characters have the “collectibles on the minimap” thing like Qiqi has for Liyue? Grinding out these mushrooms for Wanderer is killing me even with the hoyomap open on my phone.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

I'm only just now getting around to unlocking the card game and Fischl's muffled voice from behind a closed door was a really good gag. They should gently caress around with distance more often, I want it to sound like someone's talking to you down the street and getting louder over time.

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.

Leathal posted:

Do any Sumeru characters have the “collectibles on the minimap” thing like Qiqi has for Liyue? Grinding out these mushrooms for Wanderer is killing me even with the hoyomap open on my phone.

Yeah, it's Tighnari's passive.

Although the mushrooms just suck no matter what you do since nine times out of ten the problem is finding them on the Z-axis.

tread-softly
May 31, 2013
Edit: Didn't see the 'next page' button and necro-ed a question that was answered an hour earlier. Nice!

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

Tuxedo Catfish posted:

Although the mushrooms just suck no matter what you do since nine times out of ten the problem is finding them on the Z-axis.

Yeah, though you get a feel for it after a while. Just gotta look for those mushrooms with the cavities in them.

I haven't found any other good farming locations for them, though there must be some.

Zenostein
Aug 16, 2008

Feels like I am misunderstanding how nahida works. I feel like her little dendro chain thing feels like it should work the way hutao's flower does, but it seems it doesn't.
:/ Guess this is a thing I can not bother reading about until she rolls up again, though.

Definitely should've gone with my gut and brought my collei along, instead of two healers. I didn't even use kokomi lol. It's kinda a shame there's no real incentive to do these again unless you really want to beat your own scores.

Tuxedo Catfish posted:

Yeah, it's Tighnari's passive.

At least they're decently clustered together, so if you find one there's probably some more nearby. Slightly less of a pain to pick up than the kala-something lotus, or violetgrass (which doesn't even have the decency to be right on the edge of a cliff so you can just walk up and grab it). The trick is finding the right bit of cave/forest for them. Also, there's a guy in the tree village (I think?) and an aranara merchant that'll sell you 5/week each. It's not much, but it helps.

Ytlaya posted:

Yeah, though you get a feel for it after a while. Just gotta look for those mushrooms with the cavities in them.

I haven't found any other good farming locations for them, though there must be some.

The mushroom forest in the north has a fair few along a path on the eastern edge? A little funghi army marches along the road, which makes for an alright waypoint. There's also a few in the upper path of the cave that leads into the huge ruin robot near pt. ormos. I feel like there was another not terrible location to fish some up, but I'm drawing a blank. The real issue is that they're all in caves, and getting into those is a pain when you're running out of pins to mark the convenient entrances, rather than squinting at the map to see what roads vanish into cliffs.

Zenostein fucked around with this message at 21:11 on Dec 11, 2022

gandlethorpe
Aug 16, 2008

Is TCG level 5 time gated? I think I've beaten all the open world encounters in Mondstadt and Liyue, and the tome isn't suggesting anymore to me. I'm a hundred or so EXP away from level 5.

MadHat
Mar 31, 2011

gandlethorpe posted:

Is TCG level 5 time gated? I think I've beaten all the open world encounters in Mondstadt and Liyue, and the tome isn't suggesting anymore to me. I'm a hundred or so EXP away from level 5.

Yes in that there is not enough XP currently available. everyone s stuck there currently.

Zenostein
Aug 16, 2008

vaporize trial terrible. the only hydro you can use seems to be ayato.

:/ couldn't even hutao around for a laugh.

MoonCrab
Nov 19, 2014

A mildly pertubed emoji face

Zenostein posted:

Feels like I am misunderstanding how nahida works. I feel like her little dendro chain thing feels like it should work the way hutao's flower does, but it seems it doesn't.
:/ Guess this is a thing I can not bother reading about until she rolls up again, though.

This gets everyone lmao, don't feel bad.

1. Nahida's skill only triggers with elemental reactions.
2. If she's off-field in a triple hydro team, the only source of dendro is her skill.

So when the dendro runs out, you can't trigger any more reactions, since you only get more dendro by triggering reactions, which you can't do because there's no dendro, which you need to trigger reactions, etc.

So you either need Nahida to swap back in, or any second dendro to trigger reactions off-field.

MoonCrab fucked around with this message at 21:45 on Dec 11, 2022

Descar
Apr 19, 2010

Leathal posted:

I sometime just check on youtube for a easy route, and

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BvhlMTVs14Y&t=525s

if you want to go around looking yourself, Tighnari's passive will help.

RPATDO_LAMD
Mar 22, 2013

🐘🪠🍆

MoonCrab posted:

This gets everyone lmao, don't feel bad.

1. Nahida's skill only triggers with elemental reactions.
2. If she's off-field in a triple hydro team, the only source of dendro is her skill.

So when the dendro runs out, you can't trigger any more reactions, since you only get more dendro by triggering reactions, which you can't do because there's no dendro, which you need to trigger reactions, etc.

So you either need Nahida to swap back in, or any second dendro to trigger reactions off-field.

Yeah in a nahida + 3 hydro team nahida is meant to be the on-field driver.

The big advantage here is that it means she is the only one who triggers bloom reactions so she is the only one who needs to build EM.

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

HA! HA! NICE! WHAT A TOOL!

RPATDO_LAMD posted:

Yeah in a nahida + 3 hydro team nahida is meant to be the on-field driver.

The big advantage here is that it means she is the only one who triggers bloom reactions so she is the only one who needs to build EM.
I wish this were true, but in my experience she overwhelms all the other application (even using Xingqiu). It's still probably the best Nilou comp.

Tree Reformat
Apr 2, 2022

by Fluffdaddy

Zenostein posted:

vaporize trial terrible. the only hydro you can use seems to be ayato.

:/ couldn't even hutao around for a laugh.

Doesn't it make you want to whale for his banner in a few weeks, player??

Somehow, using him in this trial felt worse than when he was in the 3.0 trial events, and I'm not sure why.

Everett False
Sep 28, 2006

Mopsy, I'm starting to question your medical credentials.

Shinji2015
Aug 31, 2007
Keen on the hygiene and on the mission like a super technician.

lol fits him perfectly

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.
Kevin McAnemo

ninjoatse.cx
Apr 9, 2005

Fun Shoe

No Wave posted:

One of the challenge players has Oceanid, Mirror Maiden, and Xiangling and that is way harder. My best deck only managed to get two of them below 5 health before I got slaughtered in the span of 2 turns. I went to go build a counter deck... but I ran out of points. BS

Zenostein
Aug 16, 2008

Tree Reformat posted:

Doesn't it make you want to whale for his banner in a few weeks, player??

Somehow, using him in this trial felt worse than when he was in the 3.0 trial events, and I'm not sure why.

Well, I'm sure part of the problem was using my xiangling with no raiden. Definitely not enough ER to keep up, and having two anemos didn't seem all that helpful, since things just die before poor kazuha could get his poo poo going. I was genuinely concerned I wouldn't manage enough vaporizes for the challenge.

I donno, maybe it was the flute's fault. Maybe it was just that it was a vaporize trial and you didn't have lasers or swords swooshing down out of anywhere to make whatever you're hitting wet. Perhaps I should've used thoma and let his burst compliment ayato's powerful technique of "standing perfectly still."

I do still kinda want to have him, just to complete the kamisato set.

lmao

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

ayato is good but vaporize isnt really what hes built for, hes much better in dendro and taser teams imo

he does also kinda want a shielder and someone to group up the enemies. ayato/fischl/kazuha/zhongli is really basic but strong

Excelzior
Jun 24, 2013

the best ayato builds is when he goes shing shing shing and everything dies

DeadFatDuckFat
Oct 29, 2012

This avatar brought to you by the 'save our dead gay forums' foundation.

I have no idea how to use any of these trial characters, I just mash buttons and hope they apply their element

Real Cool Catfish
Jun 6, 2011
The exact mechanics of Nahida remain a mystery to me, all I know is that I link up a bunch of enemies then a lot of colourful numbers start to appear and everything dies.

SiKboy
Oct 28, 2007

Oh no!😱

Zenostein posted:

Well, I'm sure part of the problem was using my xiangling with no raiden. Definitely not enough ER to keep up, and having two anemos didn't seem all that helpful, since things just die before poor kazuha could get his poo poo going. I was genuinely concerned I wouldn't manage enough vaporizes for the challenge.

I donno, maybe it was the flute's fault. Maybe it was just that it was a vaporize trial and you didn't have lasers or swords swooshing down out of anywhere to make whatever you're hitting wet. Perhaps I should've used thoma and let his burst compliment ayato's powerful technique of "standing perfectly still."

I do still kinda want to have him, just to complete the kamisato set.

lmao

I went with Ayato/Xiangling/Bennet/Kazuha (all trial versions, despite me actually having all those characters), and took it without too much trouble. Still the toughest of the challenges so far, but by that I mean I got like 60 vapourises and had to heal occasionally as opposed to the others where it was like 90 of the relevant reactions and never really had to pay full attention. In fairness it probably helps a bit that I have Ayato, and have been using him on my friendship/dailies team for a while now. Still used the trial version but I knew his basic timings and stuff pretty well. Generally I chucked out Gouba, then kazuha to group the enemies and pass along the pyro, then Ayato

Excelzior posted:

goes shing shing shing and everything dies

I'd absolutely agree that this didnt show him off to his best uses though. I've actually kept him in my daily team despite maxing his friendship because he's a lot of fun.

Mostly unrelated but; I'm kind of disappointed that the layout of the dungeon has been the same for each challenge, theres really zero exploration after the first day because (aside from a couple of inconsequential power up orbs) its all the same every time.

Meowywitch
Jan 14, 2010

Fight for all that is beautiful in the world

I'm vibrating for Raiden mommy

Eimi
Nov 23, 2013

I will never log offshut up.

Nyaawn posted:

I'm vibrating for Raiden mommy

Went back to three weeks cycles at the worst time possible. Waiting til Dec27 is torture

sandorius
Nov 13, 2013

Zenostein posted:

e. hosed up poor barbara freezes herself in the card game too. Why does mihoyo hate idols so much

As a Keqing/Collei/Barbara player I have to say it is actually not too bad because the skill is a summon and thus it only freezes you after both sides have ended their turn and you unfreeze when the next round starts. 9 healing over 3 turns for 3 mana and cleanse on active character is pretty great, although she is weak to dendro.

Meowywitch
Jan 14, 2010

water is strong

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Meowywitch
Jan 14, 2010

i also feel like I cannot drop kazuha from any of my parties because his ability to gather all the enemies and items in one spot is just too loving good sis