Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

wash bucket
Feb 21, 2006

So, you know how PCs can use water cooling radiators for their CPUs? If that's such a good cooling method why is it only used by do-it-yourself PC gamers? Why don't off the shelf PCs use it or game consoles?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

El Jeffe
Dec 24, 2009

It's more expensive and traditional air coolers are good enough for the average user, who probably doesn't care if their machine could run colder/quieter. Also I think some people are afraid of having water inside their PC or console.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

McCracAttack posted:

So, you know how PCs can use water cooling radiators for their CPUs? If that's such a good cooling method why is it only used by do-it-yourself PC gamers? Why don't off the shelf PCs use it or game consoles?

It is a lot of expense and fuss for something that isn’t necessary in most cases. It’s like “why don’t commuter cars have turbochargers?”

Game consoles are built to a price, and designers have a relatively free hand in laying them out. They can mount a giant radiator on top of the chip and build the rest of the hardware around it.

https://i.imgur.com/Ni7rxnm.mp4

PCs are more constrained, and it’s here that water cooling can be useful. You can’t put such a sweet radiator in your PC directly because the case and the other components get in the way. But if you transfer the energy to water, then you can pipe that to somwhere where a suitably beefy radiator does fit.

Still the power densities that most PCs run at, air cooling works just fine. If you tried to overclock the chips in a lot of these PCs to a level where water cooling becomes desirable, they’d become unstable anyway. To run at such power, you have to be shelling out for Intel/AMD’s most flawless specimens, and that’s not how companies make money pre‐building PCs.

RPATDO_LAMD
Mar 22, 2013

🐘🪠🍆

Outrail posted:

Unfortunately, my knowledge of coding and scripts begins with watching Hackers in 1996 and ends with The matrix in 1999. I think there's a hole punch involved somewhere?

I'm certain it didn't need anything like that the last time I did it. Can't belive I didn't make notes :/

poking around more, is it possible you used https://www.whohasaccess.com/ last time?

hooah
Feb 6, 2006
WTF?
If our fridge was at 45 F overnight, is all the food in there bad?

hooah fucked around with this message at 14:48 on Dec 10, 2022

PiratePrentice
Oct 29, 2022

by Hand Knit

hooah posted:

If yur fridge was at 45 F overnight, is all the food in there bad?

Google says that's like 7 C, so most of it will be fine. Probably throw out any uncooked meat and give a visual/smell test to the rest of the food in there, but 7 is probably fine for one night, especially for vegetables and any food without meat in it.

hooah
Feb 6, 2006
WTF?
I think we're mostly concerned about dairy. We had three gallons of milk and some half & half.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

hooah posted:

If yur fridge was at 45 F overnight, is all the food in there bad?

No.

I’m not a health inspector and you should check if you have a legal obligation to throw the food out, but being four degrees Fahrenheit into the so-called “danger zone” for a few hours will not instantly render everything in your refrigerator inedible.

For comparison, a common guideline is that you can take up to four hours to chill something from room temperature to forty-one degrees Fahrenheit, and realistically way more bacterial growth can happen in that time that will occur in eight hours at forty-five degrees.

PiratePrentice
Oct 29, 2022

by Hand Knit

hooah posted:

I think we're mostly concerned about dairy. We had three gallons of milk and some half & half.

With milk you can just smell it to see if it's bad. Chances are it's fine, especially in a large container like that that would take quite a while to warm up.

If you've got yogurt you can check for mould, or if it's in individual sealed containers you can check to see if any of them have inflated at all, but I doubt that they would have gone bad that quickly either.

BonHair
Apr 28, 2007

Smell the food. If it smells bad throw it out, if not, keep it. This also goes for expiration dates.

Doesn't work for cheese though, that always smells bad even if it's good.

PiratePrentice
Oct 29, 2022

by Hand Knit
Yeah it's good to mention that expiration dates are pretty fake a lot of the time. You can check for yourself if your food is bad, you don't need the label once you've brought it home.

With hard cheese you can cut three inches off from where the mould is, but I don't have that many inches of cheese in my fridge in general anyways so it gets tossed as soon as there's any mould. With bread or soft cheese you should throw out the whole thing when you see mould because the roots go through very quickly.

smackfu
Jun 7, 2004

Three inches??? That seems a bit silly.

CzarChasm
Mar 14, 2009

I don't like it when you're watching me eat.

smackfu posted:

I heard the average was 5. This is disturbing.

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

I spent four years making
Waves of Steel
Hell yes I'm going to turn my avatar into an ad for it.
Fun Shoe
I have to walk my dog in the rain sometimes. I don't have a coat that can adequately cover my legs (I'm 6'5", and every long coat I've ever seen has been nowhere near long enough), and getting my jeans soaked is annoying. Can anyone recommend something to keep my legs dry?

Umbrellas aren't practical, a) because it's often windy when it rains, and b) because juggling the umbrella and the leash and the poop bag is too much for me.

BonHair
Apr 28, 2007

TooMuchAbstraction posted:

I have to walk my dog in the rain sometimes. I don't have a coat that can adequately cover my legs (I'm 6'5", and every long coat I've ever seen has been nowhere near long enough), and getting my jeans soaked is annoying. Can anyone recommend something to keep my legs dry?

Umbrellas aren't practical, a) because it's often windy when it rains, and b) because juggling the umbrella and the leash and the poop bag is too much for me.

Are rain pants not a thing where you are?

Human Tornada
Mar 4, 2005

I been wantin to see a honkey dance.
I don't think any length of coat is going to keep your pants 100% dry unless it goes all the way down to your shoes, and that's just not practical. Denim takes forever to dry, so my suggestion would be to wear quick drying or water resistant pants instead, even a pair of cotton chinos will dry in half the time of jeans.

alnilam
Nov 10, 2009

Yeah i walk (and bike) in the rain all the time and don't like umbrellas, synthetic water-resistant pants (prana, kuhl, etc) are fine for short walks or lighter rain, rain overpants for longer ones or heavier rain.

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

Waves of Steel
Fun Shoe

BonHair posted:

Are rain pants not a thing where you are?

Never heard of 'em before :shrug: I'm guessing this is basically like snow pants, except for rain instead. Any recommendations on brand?

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer

TooMuchAbstraction posted:

Never heard of 'em before :shrug: I'm guessing this is basically like snow pants, except for rain instead. Any recommendations on brand?

They’re popular among golfers. Nike makes decent rain pants.

greazeball
Feb 4, 2003

REI, Decathlon or you local sporting goods store will have some at different levels of price and quality

alnilam
Nov 10, 2009

They're also popular among hikers and bikers. Showers pass is my fav, been biking in rain for them for many years, but they might be overkill for the occasional dog walk. REI brand is pretty good, doesn't hold up as well to heavy biking use but would be fine for you imo

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

Waves of Steel
Fun Shoe
Thanks, y'all!

Inceltown
Aug 6, 2019

Your alternative is to wear shorts.

BonHair
Apr 28, 2007

I would definitely get Føtex brand rain pants, I guess the American equivalent would be Costco store brand. I have done slightly more fancy ones for my bike commute, mostly because they last a bit longer in the seat area, which you wouldn't care about for walking.

Fruits of the sea
Dec 1, 2010

A lightweight pair of rain pants is frickin awesome.

They look hella goofy but hiking gaiters are also amazing for walking through tall grass or brush on dewy mornings. Rain pants can get kinda hot and sweaty so it’s a nice alternative.

PiratePrentice
Oct 29, 2022

by Hand Knit

smackfu posted:

It's actually 1 inch, I just didn't look it up when I posted lol

Mister Speaker
May 8, 2007

WE WILL CONTROL
ALL THAT YOU SEE
AND HEAR
This video got me thinking:

https://i.imgur.com/KGFrbzg.mp4

How does speed scale with vehicle size? I remember seeing posts about slot car racing and people commenting on it that if the cars were scaled up to life-size, their speed would be ludicrous. I can't remember the rationale behind it or what the numbers were.

dupersaurus
Aug 1, 2012

Futurism was an art movement where dudes were all 'CARS ARE COOL AND THE PAST IS FOR CHUMPS. LET'S DRAW SOME CARS.'

Mister Speaker posted:

This video got me thinking:

https://i.imgur.com/KGFrbzg.mp4

How does speed scale with vehicle size? I remember seeing posts about slot car racing and people commenting on it that if the cars were scaled up to life-size, their speed would be ludicrous. I can't remember the rationale behind it or what the numbers were.

It’s a calculation where you just multiply how many times smaller the model is with its speed (ex 1:12 model going 10mph would scale to 1:1 going 120mph). But its also essentially useless since it really has nothing to do with anything meaningful, it just sounds kinda cool.

Edit: it’s kinda like that saying about how much an ant could lift if you scale it up to human size. Maybe it gives some perspective to how strong an ant is, but also a real human ant wouldn’t be able to lift that much since the reason an ant ant can lift so much is specifically because it’s small.

dupersaurus fucked around with this message at 02:12 on Dec 11, 2022

PiratePrentice
Oct 29, 2022

by Hand Knit
Friction with the ground and air resistance put a lot more resistance on larger things. In a vacuum with no friction you'd be able to speed up a full size car just as easily as a hot wheels car to as fast as you'd like, it would just take a shitload more energy to do it.

Keep in mind that speed is relative and we are all moving at the speed that the Earth and sun are moving through space at any given time, the real issue is acceleration and the forces you have to overcome to make things move.

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

Waves of Steel
Fun Shoe

PiratePrentice posted:

Friction with the ground and air resistance put a lot more resistance on larger things. In a vacuum with no friction you'd be able to speed up a full size car just as easily as a hot wheels car to as fast as you'd like, it would just take a shitload more energy to do it.

It's not just friction and resistance, it's also inertia. The square-cube law means that mass grows much faster than apparent size, and the heavier something is, the more energy it takes to get it to a particular speed.

RPATDO_LAMD
Mar 22, 2013

🐘🪠🍆

PiratePrentice posted:

Keep in mind that speed is relative and we are all moving at the speed that the Earth and sun are moving through space at any given time, the real issue is acceleration and the forces you have to overcome to make things move.

friction with the ground is actually the same, since it scales with weight. an 8x heavier car will experience 8x as much friction force.
air resistance is less impactful for larger things due to the square-cube law. a car that is 2x as long has 4x as much surface area for air resistance and has 8x as much mass, so the end result is that air resistance is half as effective at slowing it down

of course this is assuming your power source is also scaling up with the car. it's true that a bigger car will have more friction in an absolute sense, so if you try to stick the same 1/8th size motor from the small car on it probably won't be able to overcome static friction and move at all

RPATDO_LAMD fucked around with this message at 05:13 on Dec 11, 2022

Perestroika
Apr 8, 2010

RPATDO_LAMD posted:

friction with the ground is actually the same, since it scales with weight. an 8x heavier car will experience 8x as much friction force.
air resistance is less impactful for larger things due to the square-cube law. a car that is 2x as long has 4x as much surface area for air resistance and has 8x as much mass, so the end result is that air resistance is half as effective at slowing it down

of course this is assuming your power source is also scaling up with the car. it's true that a bigger car will have more friction in an absolute sense, so if you try to stick the same 1/8th size motor from the small car on it probably won't be able to overcome static friction and move at all

Though as I understand the question, it's not just the size/mass that increases, it's velocity as well. That toy car is doing e.g. 10 laps a second on a circuit that's about a meter long, so give or take 10 m/s velocity. Scale that up by a factor of 10 to get closer to a real car size, and now it'd need to do 10 laps a second on a circuit ten meters long, so that'd be 100 m/s velocity. Air friction scales to the square of velocity in addition to surface, so I think your mass and momentum would be increasing at a slower rate than the air resistance at least. Presumably similar with ground resistance, though there mass would be a bigger factor than surface area.

Perestroika fucked around with this message at 10:30 on Dec 11, 2022

Such Fun
May 6, 2013

The concept of taking one dimension of an object, multiplying it by a factor, and then assume that means that all traits of the original object are multiplied by the same factor is just completely nonsensical.

Edit: If you’d want the thought experiment to make more sense you could imagine experiencing the toy racetrack as a tiny observer (like you got hit with a shrink ray, or you’re some bug). Then, compared to your body size, the cars would be moving incredibly fast.
In zoology the speed of organisms is sometimes expressed in body lengths per second to show its relative speed.

Such Fun fucked around with this message at 12:20 on Dec 11, 2022

Hyperlynx
Sep 13, 2015

One of my LED light bulbs has gone out. I bought it just over a year ago. I thought these things were meant to go for years and years and years. Is that not actually how it works? I see the manufacturer only actually offers a year's warranty! So do some of the alternatives I'm looking at, some only going up to three years.

(Not really a big deal, I'll just buy a bunch ahead of time this time, but it's a bit annoying).

dupersaurus
Aug 1, 2012

Futurism was an art movement where dudes were all 'CARS ARE COOL AND THE PAST IS FOR CHUMPS. LET'S DRAW SOME CARS.'

Hyperlynx posted:

One of my LED light bulbs has gone out. I bought it just over a year ago. I thought these things were meant to go for years and years and years. Is that not actually how it works? I see the manufacturer only actually offers a year's warranty! So do some of the alternatives I'm looking at, some only going up to three years.

(Not really a big deal, I'll just buy a bunch ahead of time this time, but it's a bit annoying).

The LED lasts forever, the electronics at the bottom of the bulb that connects it to the electricity is only worth as much as the manufacturer skimped on it

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

A man becomes preeminent, he's expected to have enthusiasms.

Enthusiasms, enthusiasms...
whenever i think sbout flash of genius i wonder whaT DID people do before windshield wipers

Hyperlynx
Sep 13, 2015

dupersaurus posted:

The LED lasts forever, the electronics at the bottom of the bulb that connects it to the electricity is only worth as much as the manufacturer skimped on it

Well, ok. But surely a year is unusually short, though, right?

Inceltown
Aug 6, 2019

Hyperlynx posted:

Looks like you got one of the ones that their production line pumped out that was exceptionally low quality so the boss could make a fraction of a cent more come bonus time.

:capitalism:

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Hyperlynx posted:

A year is very short in my experience.

On the off chance that this is the problem, if it’s on a dimmer you need to buy LEDs that are noted as dimmer compatible or they will die quickly.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hyperlynx
Sep 13, 2015

Flash Gordon Ramsay posted:

A year is very short in my experience.

On the off chance that this is the problem, if it’s on a dimmer you need to buy LEDs that are noted as dimmer compatible or they will die quickly.

Funnily enough, it is in a dimmer socket and I did specifically buy a dimmable one. I actually also got sent a non-dimmable version of the same model my mistake, and it just doesn't work properly in that socket at all.

I should really have those dimmers taken out. I don't use them, and they just make it that little bit more inconvenient to get bulbs.