Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Perry Mason Jar
Feb 24, 2006

"Della? Take a lid"
:chloe:

Can we switch tracks yet? I wasn't even gonna post this kinda mids tweet. Enjoy anyway

https://twitter.com/BoltzmannBooty/status/1601792097861763075

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Riot Bimbo
Dec 28, 2006

every fort bragg thing i read is worse than the last

multistability
Feb 15, 2014
https://twitter.com/gumby4christ/status/1601799471091789825?t=ZmmuCjTrc-K9Px_7nojcig&s=19

Shear Modulus
Jun 9, 2010

I admit i assumed that the satanic panic thing absolutely was bullshit invented by the same crazy christian fundamentalists who thought dungeons and dragons and harry potter were literally getting kids to sell their souls to the devil and bill clinton and obama were literally the antichrist, until i learned about the epstein expanded universe

ScrubLeague
Feb 11, 2007

Nap Ghost

Perry Mason Jar posted:

:chloe:

Can we switch tracks yet? I wasn't even gonna post this kinda mids tweet. Enjoy anyway

https://twitter.com/BoltzmannBooty/status/1601792097861763075

the public is never going to get answers because the military is an opaque institution devoted to perpetuation of its existence

Riot Bimbo
Dec 28, 2006

Shear Modulus posted:

I admit i assumed that the satanic panic thing absolutely was bullshit invented by the same crazy christian fundamentalists who thought dungeons and dragons and harry potter were literally getting kids to sell their souls to the devil and bill clinton and obama were literally the antichrist, until i learned about the epstein expanded universe

yeah lol, without even attributing supernatural causation, like saturn or satan or who the gently caress ever actually existing and orchestrating this darkness... that can still be pure fantasy, but when we have transcripts of epstein larping dionysus during a ritual orgy i feel like it's hard to argue that the theatrics, the esoterica, the ritual work, isn't playing some kind of role independent of that.

rich bored guy with nothing to do and a bunch of enemies and people that innately hate you for what you are, and suddenly larping some dark cthonic god probably sounds appealing as all get out

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

Our institutions and networks of social control predate a scientific perspective on sociology or economics. So it entirely possible that the old school Taft-eta Skull and Bones society (and the like) did somewhat believe in the rituals even if it’s all dress up and sex play for the George W Bush generation and later.

mawarannahr
May 21, 2019

Riot Bimbo posted:

yeah lol, without even attributing supernatural causation, like saturn or satan or who the gently caress ever actually existing and orchestrating this darkness... that can still be pure fantasy, but when we have transcripts of epstein larping dionysus during a ritual orgy i feel like it's hard to argue that the theatrics, the esoterica, the ritual work, isn't playing some kind of role independent of that.

rich bored guy with nothing to do and a bunch of enemies and people that innately hate you for what you are, and suddenly larping some dark cthonic god probably sounds appealing as all get out

yeah this is one reason I don’t get the “it’s probably just some intern or a fresh art school grad. there’s nothing to see here and you’re nuts if you think this isn’t normal. they would not do this out in the open” thing, which seems to be the prevailing opinion in the rest of this forum now.

Futanari Damacy
Oct 30, 2021

by sebmojo

multistability posted:

So he's a capitalist - he wants to make money, right? He's a billionaire, all he cares about is making money. His mind is infected with Capital. So he's sitting on these pandemic simulation things because - why?

It's more that we are now collectively at the whims of individuals that have more money than governments. So now if this guy wants to do a pandemic, I guess we're doing a pandemic. What mechanism is there to stop this, other than taxing them to pre-emptively take away the kind of money that would allow one person to influence society as a whole according to their weird interests? It's like how becoming a multi-planet species is now supposedly our goal, because Musk specifically wants it. Never mind we've proven ourselves incapable of managing one global society.

Thank God that Bezos doesn't want anything other than seeing that number go up.

Chamale
Jul 11, 2010

I'm helping!

Futanari Damacy posted:

He did put $10 billion into a fund that wants to "fight climate change" by having oil companies buy carbon offsets.

Shear Modulus
Jun 9, 2010

i think bezos is just smart enough to stay out of the headlines. Ubiquitous doorbell cameras certainly aren't a wholly innocuous trend, AWS is the backbone of a big chunk of the internet, and it seems like half the kids on the planet are watching twitch at any given time

Bezos's dad is of course also a cuban exile who was whisked away during pedro pan

Shear Modulus has issued a correction as of 20:04 on Dec 11, 2022

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

Futanari Damacy posted:

Bezos is heavily involved with the Long Now Foundation

most famous for their Clock of the Long Now, which they're building 2 full scale versions one inside a mountain in Texas the other inside a mountain in Nevada:

but they also do

Revive & Restore: https://reviverestore.org/ - reviving extinct species

The Organizational Continuity Project https://longnow.org/continuity/ - creating institutions that can last for thousands of years

The Manual for Civilization https://longnow.org/ideas/how-can-we-create-a-manual-for-civilization/ - a manual for creating a civilization

multistability
Feb 15, 2014
Things like that ^ and "longtermism" etc make me think the ruling class are convinced that they are soon going to have the ability to genetically engineer themselves to live forever or some poo poo. Wasn't Epstein obsessed with like living forever and genetic engineering, and didn't he surround himself with various transhumanist freaks etc

Shear Modulus
Jun 9, 2010

They've been convinced of that for a long time. It was at the core of the Singularity cult. Ray Kurzweil became a silicon valley guru and hugely influential public intellectual because he was telling everyone that aging would be solved in a couple decades, so if you live until then you'll be able to live forever and/or upload your brain to a computer. He was literally saying that in Time magazine.

e: look at this horseshit from the wikipedia page for his most famous book:

quote:

The Singularity Is Near: When Humans Transcend Biology is a 2005 non-fiction book about artificial intelligence and the future of humanity by inventor and futurist Ray Kurzweil.

The book builds on the ideas introduced in Kurzweil's previous books, The Age of Intelligent Machines (1990) and The Age of Spiritual Machines (1999). This time, however, Kurzweil embraces the term the Singularity, which was popularized by Vernor Vinge in his 1993 essay "The Coming Technological Singularity."[1]

Kurzweil describes his law of accelerating returns which predicts an exponential increase in technologies like computers, genetics, nanotechnology, robotics and artificial intelligence. Once the Singularity has been reached, Kurzweil says that machine intelligence will be infinitely more powerful than all human intelligence combined. Afterwards he predicts intelligence will radiate outward from the planet until it saturates the universe. The Singularity is also the point at which machines' intelligence and humans would merge. Kurzweil spells out the date very clearly: "I set the date for the Singularity—representing a profound and disruptive transformation in human capability—as 2045".[2]

War and Pieces
Apr 24, 2022

DID NOT VOTE FOR FETTERMAN
Of they want to live in the computer what is their response to simply turning the computer off?

mawarannahr
May 21, 2019

War and Pieces posted:

Of they want to live in the computer what is their response to simply turning the computer off?

I have no monitor but I must turn it on

nomad2020
Jan 30, 2007

Seems risky to intentionally aim for the grey goo scenario on the off chance it wants to be our friend.

I liked the idea of building a bigass clock that will outlive everyone alive, it is much less cool knowing that some of the people building it plan on being around for that long.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.
Switching tracks for a bit, I'm now Soy Sauce pilled.

https://www.tumblr.com/inneskeeper/tagged/the%20mysterious%20appearance%20of%20miss%20appleton

Someone decides to look up this woman who according to Kikkoman's website basically controlled the supply the soy beans to post-war japan and thus caused all of the Soy Sauce industry to switch brewing method. Except there's no sources or even proofs this woman ever lived.

paul_soccer12
Jan 5, 2020

by Fluffdaddy
https://twitter.com/hash_tigre/status/1533259074422177793

A Bakers Cousin
Dec 18, 2003

by vyelkin

MonsieurChoc posted:

Switching tracks for a bit, I'm now Soy Sauce pilled.

https://www.tumblr.com/inneskeeper/tagged/the%20mysterious%20appearance%20of%20miss%20appleton

Someone decides to look up this woman who according to Kikkoman's website basically controlled the supply the soy beans to post-war japan and thus caused all of the Soy Sauce industry to switch brewing method. Except there's no sources or even proofs this woman ever lived.

Anime source located.

Riot Bimbo
Dec 28, 2006

lmao gently caress

building an actual clock

A Bakers Cousin
Dec 18, 2003

by vyelkin
But yeah those longtermism transhumanists are going to turn out to be sci fi dystopia villans.

Riot Bimbo
Dec 28, 2006

they're obviously saturn weirdos

A Bakers Cousin
Dec 18, 2003

by vyelkin
Turns out all those scifi stories and games about civilizations splintering over the idea of transferring to machines might be pretty accurate.

Doktor Avalanche
Dec 30, 2008

to me transhumanism is the most insane thing to present as immortality.
when you upload you don't live forever, you loving die. the digital copy of you isn't actually you, YOU WILL DIE.

Riot Bimbo
Dec 28, 2006

these freaks can't control reality the way they'd like so they wanna make a facsimilie where they do, and inflict it on a critical mass of the population and just scourge the rest.

it's a "this is why revelation is happening now"-tier affront to God and the fact it won't work as intended, ever, is beside the point lol

Laterite
Mar 14, 2007

It's Gutfest '89
Grimey Drawer
bill gates is also now the single largest owner of private farmland in the USA

probably nothing to worry about

A Bakers Cousin
Dec 18, 2003

by vyelkin
Don't want to know what happens on any of those farms

mdemone
Mar 14, 2001

Doktor Avalanche posted:

when you upload you don't live forever, you loving die. the digital copy of you isn't actually you, YOU WILL DIE.

they're secretly dualists OP

Futanari Damacy
Oct 30, 2021

by sebmojo

Doktor Avalanche posted:

Yeah this is the biggest WTF for me, of all the breathless reporting of the idea that in the future "zillions of humans will live happily inside of computers"- I have seen zero interrogation or pushback on the idea of what it would actually mean for humans to "live" "inside a computer"

blatman
May 10, 2009

14 inc dont mez

Futanari Damacy posted:

Yeah this is the biggest WTF for me, of all the breathless reporting of the idea that in the future "zillions of humans will live happily inside of computers"- I have seen zero interrogation or pushback on the idea of what it would actually mean for humans to "live" "inside a computer"

theres a documentary on this called sword art online abridged

LIVE AMMO COSPLAY
Feb 3, 2006

Laterite posted:

bill gates is also now the single largest owner of private farmland in the USA

probably nothing to worry about

That's just good and cool capitalism. It's the microchips in the vaccines you have to watch out for :patriot:

Chamale
Jul 11, 2010

I'm helping!

Futanari Damacy posted:

There's a Greg Egan story called "Learning To Be Me" where millions of people have uploaded their mind into computers. They do it by gradually replacing human brain functions with digital neurons, so that the person remains conscious throughout the process. The narrator goes through this, but realizes partway through that the digital neurons are actually creating a new self while his original consciousness is dying. But at this point, the speech centre of his brain is all-digital, so his voice tells people that it's working and he'll see them in the simulation.

Edit: I thought it was a Ted Chiang story, and couldn't find the title. Thanks, scary ghost dog

Chamale has issued a correction as of 02:29 on Dec 12, 2022

scary ghost dog
Aug 5, 2007

Chamale posted:

There's a short story by Ted Chiang (I think) where millions of people have uploaded their mind into computers. They do it by gradually replacing human brain functions with digital neurons, so that the person remains conscious throughout the process. The narrator goes through this, but realizes partway through that the digital neurons are actually creating a new self while his original consciousness is dying. But at this point, the speech centre of his brain is all-digital, so his voice tells people that it's working and he'll see them in the simulation.

theres a very similar greg egan story

Google Butt
Oct 4, 2005

Xenology is an unnatural mixture of science fiction and formal logic. At its core is a flawed assumption...

that an alien race would be psychologically human.

they want to have sex with computer

Endman
May 18, 2010

That is not dead which can eternal lie, And with strange aeons even anime may die

Futanari Damacy posted:

It’s not actually possible either, unless we find some way of creating unlimited energy with the ability to store cosmic amounts of information in hyperspace or whatever.

Mapping the 86 million neurons in the human brain is beyond the capacity of all of our computers put together, and that’s just if we’re talking about a single “brain state”. Think of it as a screenshot, whereas having that software version of your brain be able to think and create memories requires not just the ability to store one brain state, but infinite.

Not happening.

War and Pieces
Apr 24, 2022

DID NOT VOTE FOR FETTERMAN
again what's to stop me from unplugging them? A terminator army? Ok then what stops aliens from unplugging them?

Endman
May 18, 2010

That is not dead which can eternal lie, And with strange aeons even anime may die

This reminds me of that bit in the first Culture novel where the protagonist tricks a ship into telling him where its mind is stored and he just shoots it with a gun

a few DRUNK BONERS
Mar 25, 2016

Endman posted:

This reminds me of that bit in the first Culture novel where the protagonist tricks a ship into telling him where its mind is stored and he just shoots it with a gun

What happens when you shoot google with a gun?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

a few DRUNK BONERS
Mar 25, 2016

The US government is massively investing in Quantum Technology research which is where all of this latest simulation hype ultimately is coming from