Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

Schubalts posted:

Highly doubt that sovcit was telling the truth.

Look man, she drinks probably thinks she is but her brains melted from drinking magical mineral supplement

And I mean in her defense I've been there almost 6 years and she's never been sick so the anecdotal evidence is real strong in her favor

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mr.Radar
Nov 5, 2005

You guys aren't going to believe this, but that guy is our games teacher.

Mr.Radar has a new favorite as of 20:43 on Dec 11, 2022

Serperoth
Feb 21, 2013

Fallen for the ol' three year letterman!

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

OwlFancier posted:

It is bizzare to try to imagine the worldview underlying it that doesn't apparently have room for "the world runs on raw power relationships and the law is just a veneer over that"

I can't remember not thinking like that, it seems so evident?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bmaoNLSHx_w&ab_channel=Dimension20Shorts

Biplane
Jul 18, 2005

They're right

Kenning
Jan 11, 2009

I really want to post goatse. Instead I only have these🍄.

S-tier posting

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

This particularly rapid💨 unintelligible 😖patter💁 isn't generally heard🧏‍♂️, and if it is🤔, it doesn't matter💁.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

Neito posted:

Withholdings aren't done at the government level, they're just sent to the government, in the US. So, like, my company's payroll department takes out the taxes based on an estimate that I'll make X amount this year. I'm then responsible for either clawing any overage back or sending any underfall.

Fun thing, smaller businesses will often pay a separate payroll company to do that for them. And sometimes those companies will just not send it to the government. And even if they get caught and prosecuted you still owe several years of back taxes and most likely won't get the money they stole from you that was supposed to be paying those taxes.

(This didn't happen to me personally, but I've read about it happening to several times)

Coolness Averted
Feb 20, 2007

oh don't worry, I can't smell asparagus piss, it's in my DNA

GO HOGG WILD!
🐗🐗🐗🐗🐗

Subjunctive posted:

The IRS lets you unilaterally opt out of withholding? In Canada you need to get the gov’t’s explicit approval for that unless it’s a reduction related to the employer collecting retirement savings contributions pre-tax or something. Weird choice, IRS.

Taxes in the US are entirely set up as a gotcha to funnel money to the tax prep industry, rather than a model to fund the government.
The IRS keeps a tally of exactly what you owe, but allows you to opt out or in to giving them more or less. HR drones aren't supposed to fully stop all withholdings on the payroll tax, but they're dumb and their job is to protect the company, not employee. So often they won't fight someone claiming they have the arrangement needed to stop all withholdings.

If you don't send them enough money they add a tally of marks against your name, when you get enough bad marks they audit you and you get in trouble.

Or if you weren't paying certain taxes you're not entitled to certain services, and they'll either deny your unemployment claim, or give you the benefit and then send an invoice/penalty a few years later.

If you make under a certain threshold you don't have to file your taxes, this is because under that threshold using the default withholdings math it's nearly guaranteed you paid more in than required and the government owes you a bigger refund -and no, if you don't file taxes and ask for the money back they don't send it to you.

bulletsponge13
Apr 28, 2010

There are plenty of anecdotes of Sovcits 'winning'. They claim victory, when what really happened was procedural errors, fiscal concerns, or such minor bullshit it's dropped for the sake of the court's schedule. Or they will claim victory after pleaing out- "I got one over on them!", or by faking illness or indigency. They share the anecdotes of 'winning', which creates the positive bias they need to continue the beliefs.
Same with traffic stop videos where the cops either don't play the game or give up and let them go; they don't see a guy who is 20 minutes from the end of shift and too tired for this bullshit over a tag light. They see the cop they refused rejoiner with, and he gave up impeding their travel.

Coolness Averted
Feb 20, 2007

oh don't worry, I can't smell asparagus piss, it's in my DNA

GO HOGG WILD!
🐗🐗🐗🐗🐗

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

It is highly refined english, extraneous sounds are removed and replaced with glottal stops.

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.
https://twitter.com/ProsinPlanet/status/1602016090766336006

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

This particularly rapid💨 unintelligible 😖patter💁 isn't generally heard🧏‍♂️, and if it is🤔, it doesn't matter💁.

(screenshotter not idiot)https://twitter.com/TheVolvesSeidr/status/1602065057721901056

crime fighting hog
Jun 29, 2006

I only pray, Heaven knows when to lift you out

Serperoth posted:

This made me remember a question I've had about these guys. Are there any black sovcits? Like, in the US, I don't imagine the consequences of telling a cop" I was travelling not driving" would be the same

Check out the Moorish Nation, they have a whole branch dedicated to sovcit insanity. Did you know the US is actually Morocco??

shame on an IGA
Apr 8, 2005

Len posted:

According to the story she told me shortly after I got hired she called hr and told them to not take taxes out. The person she talked to said no and she ended up escalating to the head of hr and now doesn't have taxes taken out

oh my god I wish I could see her face in the future when she finds out she's not eligible for social security

Nebrilos
Oct 9, 2012

Mak0rz posted:

Do you think there is a meaningful difference between these two things?

No, I don't.

Midnight Voyager
Jul 2, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

Tomorrow Belongs to Me-rear end face.

Mister Speaker
May 8, 2007

WE WILL CONTROL
ALL THAT YOU SEE
AND HEAR

crime fighting hog posted:

Check out the Moorish Nation, they have a whole branch dedicated to sovcit insanity. Did you know the US is actually Morocco??

I've encountered (one of) these guys in Canada, I think. He made a big stink over something at a bar I worked, and then sent us a letter from some Moorish organization that claimed all of this stuff was ratified by the United Nations. We laughed about it and threw it in the garbage.

This was because he felt he didn't have to pay sales tax on his meal and drinks.

Mister Speaker
May 8, 2007

WE WILL CONTROL
ALL THAT YOU SEE
AND HEAR

Serperoth posted:

unable to forgive your three year letterman

Olanphonia
Jul 27, 2006

I'm open to suggestions~

crime fighting hog posted:

Wow the us is in the semis of the world cup???

iwentdoodie
Apr 29, 2005

🤗YOU'RE WELCOME🤗

How do yall consistently post accounts with a tweet that has 1 like and 1 follow

AlbieQuirky
Oct 9, 2012

Just me and my 🌊dragon🐉 hanging out

Serperoth posted:

This made me remember a question I've had about these guys. Are there any black sovcits? Like, in the US, I don't imagine the consequences of telling a cop" I was travelling not driving" would be the same

Absolutely. In addition to groups like the Moors and the Nawabian Nation, there are more mainstream sovcit types who are Black, like this dude.

grittyreboot
Oct 2, 2012

I think Wesley Snipes has also dabbled in sovcit stuff

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

iwentdoodie posted:

How do yall consistently post accounts with a tweet that has 1 like and 1 follow

They're posting their own accounts.

Deptfordx
Dec 23, 2013

I think it's fair to say the sovcit defence didn't work in this case.

quote:

He was sentenced to six consecutive life sentences without the possibility of parole, plus an additional 763+1⁄4 years, to be served consecutively

Judge big mad.

Mister Speaker
May 8, 2007

WE WILL CONTROL
ALL THAT YOU SEE
AND HEAR
The idea of jail sentences that long is bizarre to me, but there must be some legal or traditional reason the courts don't just say "you're going to die in jail, that's all" right? (Would such a declaration be seen as making it capital punishment?) I understand that each individual murder charge (for example) can get its own life sentence so they just add it up, but a part of it just seems silly to me once you get up there. Is there a part of it borne of religious superstition in the legal institution - "what if God makes this criminal live unnaturally long," essentially?

Don't we also have some forum members serving like... probations longer than the estimated lifetime of the universe?

Evilreaver
Feb 26, 2007

GEORGE IS GETTIN' AUGMENTED!
Dinosaur Gum

Mister Speaker posted:

The idea of jail sentences that long is bizarre to me, but there must be some legal or traditional reason the courts don't just say "you're going to die in jail, that's all" right? (Would such a declaration be seen as making it capital punishment?) I understand that each individual murder charge (for example) can get its own life sentence so they just add it up, but a part of it just seems silly to me once you get up there. Is there a part of it borne of religious superstition in the legal institution - "what if God makes this criminal live unnaturally long," essentially?

Don't we also have some forum members serving like... probations longer than the estimated lifetime of the universe?

Probations cap at 100,000 hours, which is about 11 years. Some of those probes have expired and those posters returned

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Mister Speaker posted:

There's sentencing guidelines for each individual charge, in this case there where 76 charges and he was found guilty of all of them and after you got 6 murders on you there's no reason for the judge to like think about the other 70 charges and show leniency on them so some of them to give less than the max. Just say "Max time on everything" and be done with it.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

Mister Speaker posted:

One possible reason could be that potentially you could have some convictions overturned, but not all, and therefore it may be relevant how much time you were sentenced to for each one individually.

Mister Speaker
May 8, 2007

WE WILL CONTROL
ALL THAT YOU SEE
AND HEAR

Tiggum posted:

One possible reason could be that potentially you could have some convictions overturned, but not all, and therefore it may be relevant how much time you were sentenced to for each one individually.

Oh yeah, that's actually really obvious in retrospect, I'm a dummy. Thanks!

Evilreaver posted:

Probations cap at 100,000 hours, which is about 11 years. Some of those probes have expired and those posters returned

lmao

Mx.
Dec 16, 2006

I'm a great fan! When I watch TV I'm always saying "That's political correctness gone mad!"
Why thankyew!

on the one hand, dunking on companies is funny. on the other, mr lee was a real singaporean-australian dude who did die from cancer last year

The Saddest Rhino
Apr 29, 2009

Put it all together.
Solve the world.
One conversation at a time.

Oh my god

Cable Guy
Jul 18, 2005

I don't expect any trouble, but we'll be handing these out later...

Slippery Tilde

Deptfordx posted:

Judge big mad.
plus...

quote:

305 years of extended supervision
:shrug:

Blackula Vs. Tarantula
Jul 6, 2005

😤I am NOT Captain_Redbeard🧔
I always thought the idea behind the absurdly long sentences was to make sure they stayed in prison in case any technicalities took time off their sentence. So even if they get half their sentence off for good behavior or whatever it's still a life sentence. A quick Google says a life sentence is still eligible for parole after some years, so giving someone 6 life sentences and 999 years just means they won't be eligible for parole until after they are dead

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

I know that as a kid hearing that someone had been sentenced to "six consecutive life sentences" just told me adults had no loving idea how anything worked

Disco Pope
Dec 6, 2004

Top Class!
You know how dungeons have skeletons chained up?

Well, those are guys serving consecutive life sentences and the skeleton gets released when they're up. Without this legal mechanism, there would be very few spooky skeletons chained up in the dungeon system.

LawfulWaffle
Mar 11, 2014

Well, that aligns with the vibes I was getting. Which was, like, "normal" kinda vibes.
All these SovCit Skellies, eternally refusing this rejoinder and arguing fiercely that riding upon a flensed horse is a mode of conveyance and definitely not traveling

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

Blackula Vs. Tarantula posted:

I always thought the idea behind the absurdly long sentences was to make sure they stayed in prison in case any technicalities took time off their sentence. So even if they get half their sentence off for good behavior or whatever it's still a life sentence. A quick Google says a life sentence is still eligible for parole after some years, so giving someone 6 life sentences and 999 years just means they won't be eligible for parole until after they are dead

That is the idea, but some countries take the simpler approach of having an actual-life sentence rather than having to pile up charges until they're sentenced to 800 years

The UK for example https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_prisoners_with_whole_life_orders

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Read After Burning
Feb 19, 2013

"All this, for me? 💃Ah, you didn't have to! 🥰"
https://twitter.com/SteveGoffman/status/1602229546383728640
https://twitter.com/Ilana_Stern/status/1602203082527342592

Idiot owns social media, indeed...

Deptfordx posted:

Judge big mad.

Oh, it definitely didn't work...I just posted it as a response to someone asking if there were any non-white sovereign citizens.