Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

withoutclass
Nov 6, 2007

Resist the siren call of rhinocerosness

College Slice

Zorak of Michigan posted:

Honestly, that would be the heading of my Pixel 7 review. The back is so slippery that without a case, it slides right off my horizontal wireless charging pads. How did that make it through testing? Fingerprint recognition is vastly inferior to my 5. How did that make it through? Never mind, I know the answer: someone did flag it, fixing it would have cost money, Google didn't want to spend it.

Just add some grip tape.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Twerk from Home
Jan 17, 2009

This avatar brought to you by the 'save our dead gay forums' foundation.

Zorak of Michigan posted:

Honestly, that would be the heading of my Pixel 7 review. The back is so slippery that without a case, it slides right off my horizontal wireless charging pads. How did that make it through testing? Fingerprint recognition is vastly inferior to my 5. How did that make it through? Never mind, I know the answer: someone did flag it, fixing it would have cost money, Google didn't want to spend it.

I went through all this last year with the Pixel 6, I prefer not to case a phone but I absolutely have to with the P6 because it's so slippery it slides off of fully horizontal surfaces on its own.

My wife had a 5a, and we both preferred the form factor and fingerprint sensor of the 5a so much that I had buyers remorse and tried to convince her to trade me so that I could have the 5a.

Skarsnik
Oct 21, 2008

I...AM...RUUUDE!

I've just got used the fingerprint sensor being a bit poo poo. Everything else about it I love and face unlock covers me most of the time

Zorak of Michigan
Jun 10, 2006

Skarsnik posted:

I've just got used the fingerprint sensor being a bit poo poo. Everything else about it I love and face unlock covers me most of the time

I use Wallet a lot, and it frustrates me that my apparently unlocked phone needs to be unlocked again to pay for things, because face unlock isn't good enough for Wallet.

sleepwalkers
Dec 7, 2008

Face unlock is not particularly secure and putting the ability to take your money behind an actually good method of verification is in fact a good thing

Zorak of Michigan
Jun 10, 2006

sleepwalkers posted:

Face unlock is not particularly secure and putting the ability to take your money behind an actually good method of verification is in fact a good thing

No argument there. I'm just part of the legion of owners who miss the fingerprint sensor from the back of the Pixel 5.

The Merkinman
Apr 22, 2007

I sell only quality merkins. What is a merkin you ask? Why, it's a wig for your genitals!
That reminds me. I know I could just turn off face unlock, but, how do I use Google Pay with it? Right now I try it, and it fails because the phone was unlocked via face, then I have to try again.

So if the phone is already unlocked, via face, how do I get Google Pay to bring up a thumbprint/PIN so it will work the first time?

Zorak of Michigan
Jun 10, 2006

The Merkinman posted:

That reminds me. I know I could just turn off face unlock, but, how do I use Google Pay with it? Right now I try it, and it fails because the phone was unlocked via face, then I have to try again.

So if the phone is already unlocked, via face, how do I get Google Pay to bring up a thumbprint/PIN so it will work the first time?

My experience so far has been that it can't be done, but it will prompt for a thumbprint after the first attempt.

Vagrancy
Oct 15, 2005
Master of procrastination

Uthor posted:

They're technically not. They are Google's take on Android. They have a bunch of stuff/apps other Android phones do not. There's a vanilla Android out there that is the basis for all of the other versions. I think it is without the Google apps, but could be wrong.

repiv posted:

Yeah the Nexus and Android One phones shipped very close to pure AOSP, but the Pixels have steadily diverged from AOSP and "Pixel Android" is now a skin in its own right. It's a relatively light skin, but a skin nonetheless, things like the launcher and camera app are proprietary to Pixel phones and no other manufacturers can ship them even if they wanted to.

"Pixel is a skin" argument is definitely compelling but where it falls down is that software development wise the dependency between AOSP and Google devices actually runs the opposite way to what you'd expect:

Former head of AOSP some years back posted:

Within Google, we're usually working on 2 or 3 version at the same time, targeting our flagship devices. When we ship to consumers, we take the source code for that version, remove the proprietary hardware files, remove the Google code, and release that source code to AOSP. That means that Nexus devices aren't technically based on AOSP, but rather than AOSP is based on Nexus devices.

(Clipped from G+ (lol) link if you can find a still working archive )

i.e. Doesn't make as much sense to classify Android 13 Pixel builds as a "skin" when chronologically it came before Android 13 AOSP and the latter was derived from it.

Granted it isn't a given that they're still following the same Google build -> Degoogling -> AOSP process with Pixel, but the fact that the initial version of Android 12 AOSP didn't even have dynamic color implementation strongly suggests that they are. Not to mention this stuff from a Verge Google IO 2022 article:

quote:

But over the last couple of years, Google has begun to change in order to meet this challenge. Osterloh’s devices team, for instance, has completely reset its relationship with the Android team. For a long time, the company proudly maintained a wall between Pixel and Android, treating its internal hardware team like any other manufacturer. Now, Google treats Pixel like the tip of the spear: it’s meant to be both a flagship device and a development platform through which Google can build features it then shares with the rest of the ecosystem.

“We really sort of co-design where things are headed,” Osterloh said. “I think that’s just sort of the nature of how computers have changed, and computing models have changed.” Both teams share visions of an ambient future, he said. “And we’re working on it together.”

https://www.theverge.com/23065820/google-io-ambient-computing-pixel-android-phones-watches-software

"Skin" doesn't really seem descriptive when the Made by Google team are literally co-designing the platform now. Closed source/proprietary doesn't really preclude Pixel being the canonical version.

BonoMan posted:

So what does purr vanilla android look like these days?

To some extent the answer will always be semantic/arbitrary because the terms are so loosely defined to begin with. Rubin-era Android was different from Sundar-Android in that it marketed itself not as an end product consumer OS, but as a factory for building consumer OSes (by adding an ecosystem of OEM apps/services). Whereas Sundar-Android is about continually trying (and mostly failing) to push Google's take on the OS using the infrastructure & momentum the former built up from scratch, because Google won't make any profit from services if the former vision is taken to the extreme.

Vanilla Android wasn't even an officially acknowledged thing until five years in (2013/Kit Kat) with Google Play editions:

It took another year before "Nexus User experience" got rebranded into "Stock Android"

If you want to get technical about it the "Stock Android" directly corresponds to the Package Manager "com.google.android.feature.GOOGLE_EXPERIENCE" feature flag (which apps can use to programmatically disable features/Play uses to filter availability) which they previously used to limit the Nexus 4/5/7/10 Google Now launcher + stock apps. So officially speaking Pixel's are just as "stock" as the Nexus 5 because if you check their flags with either (an app like this) or ADB
code:
adb shell pm list features
Pixel's still ship with that flag, in addition to "com.google.android.feature.PIXEL_EXPERIENCE", "com.google.android.feature.PIXEL_[RELEASE YEAR]_EXPERIENCE" etc (which they use to control Pixel features)

ergo, they're still "stock" in Google's eyes.

Seperating Google features/"Stock" from "Pixel features" is hard since Android One doesn't even exist any more for comparison. It's been replaced with "Android Premier" where the pitch seems to be "look just dont change the launcher too much + agree to security updates and we'll give you some Google/Pixel features + extra ad money okay. please??" e.g. the Nokia T10 & T20 tablets aren't "Stock" + don't use Pixel launcher but still have the Pixel launcher smart space stuff embedded in the homescreen.

Skarsnik
Oct 21, 2008

I...AM...RUUUDE!

The Merkinman posted:

Yeah I've just got used to not looking too directly at my phone when I pull it out at the till so I can do fingerprint first

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Gummy Bear Heaven ... It's where I go when the world is too mean.

Vagrancy posted:

Super detailed post.

Neat, thanks for the info!

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

I just use my watch.

They do need to figure out a solution to things though. I think that they should still let you validate via the fingerprint even if it does unlock via face, having the fingerprint icon just turn into an unlocked button isn't the way to go. Leave the fingerprint icon there and have the swipe up gesture get you to the home screen if you unlock via face. That way, you can still unlock via fingerprint.

The Pixel series is no more or less slippery than any other glass backed phone, I don't know why it's brought up so much as a Pixel specific thing. I sat my Fold 4 on the couch after unboxing, nowhere near the edge, and I had to dive for it as it just slid towards the edge.

Desk Lamp
Jun 30, 2014

Vagrancy posted:

"Pixel is a skin" argument is definitely compelling but where it falls down is that software development wise the dependency between AOSP and Google devices actually runs the opposite way to what you'd expect:

(Clipped from G+ (lol) link if you can find a still working archive )

i.e. Doesn't make as much sense to classify Android 13 Pixel builds as a "skin" when chronologically it came before Android 13 AOSP and the latter was derived from it.

Granted it isn't a given that they're still following the same Google build -> Degoogling -> AOSP process with Pixel, but the fact that the initial version of Android 12 AOSP didn't even have dynamic color implementation strongly suggests that they are. Not to mention this stuff from a Verge Google IO 2022 article:

https://www.theverge.com/23065820/google-io-ambient-computing-pixel-android-phones-watches-software

"Skin" doesn't really seem descriptive when the Made by Google team are literally co-designing the platform now. Closed source/proprietary doesn't really preclude Pixel being the canonical version.

To some extent the answer will always be semantic/arbitrary because the terms are so loosely defined to begin with. Rubin-era Android was different from Sundar-Android in that it marketed itself not as an end product consumer OS, but as a factory for building consumer OSes (by adding an ecosystem of OEM apps/services). Whereas Sundar-Android is about continually trying (and mostly failing) to push Google's take on the OS using the infrastructure & momentum the former built up from scratch, because Google won't make any profit from services if the former vision is taken to the extreme.

Vanilla Android wasn't even an officially acknowledged thing until five years in (2013/Kit Kat) with Google Play editions:

It took another year before "Nexus User experience" got rebranded into "Stock Android"

If you want to get technical about it the "Stock Android" directly corresponds to the Package Manager "com.google.android.feature.GOOGLE_EXPERIENCE" feature flag (which apps can use to programmatically disable features/Play uses to filter availability) which they previously used to limit the Nexus 4/5/7/10 Google Now launcher + stock apps. So officially speaking Pixel's are just as "stock" as the Nexus 5 because if you check their flags with either (an app like this) or ADB
code:
adb shell pm list features
Pixel's still ship with that flag, in addition to "com.google.android.feature.PIXEL_EXPERIENCE", "com.google.android.feature.PIXEL_[RELEASE YEAR]_EXPERIENCE" etc (which they use to control Pixel features)

ergo, they're still "stock" in Google's eyes.

Seperating Google features/"Stock" from "Pixel features" is hard since Android One doesn't even exist any more for comparison. It's been replaced with "Android Premier" where the pitch seems to be "look just dont change the launcher too much + agree to security updates and we'll give you some Google/Pixel features + extra ad money okay. please??" e.g. the Nokia T10 & T20 tablets aren't "Stock" + don't use Pixel launcher but still have the Pixel launcher smart space stuff embedded in the homescreen.

Pixel and One UI are not so much skins, as they are essentially officially sanctioned forks of Android. The idea that there is "one true Android experience" is pretty silly. The whole point of the OHA is to have a common base that each manufacturer can mold into their own thing. Google themselves are pretty heavily involved in developing and promoting One UI, but that doesn't make it any more the "official" flavor of Android than the likes of Pixel and One Plus.

In the end, it comes down to subjective preference. No matter how many times we try to argue that our particular preference is the objective truth.

fyallm
Feb 27, 2007

College Slice

bull3964 posted:

It's going to be Feb, but it really should be a big leap from the S22U.

Plus, you are short changing yourself a year of updates if you don't wait for the S23U.

If you need a phone that's got current patches for some reason, figure out a way to get a cheap stopgap device that's still supported.

Well shoot... maybe ill look at swappa for a cheap inbetween phone, my work requires an up to date security patches phone due to my job.

Thanks for the info, I appreciate it

withoutclass
Nov 6, 2007

Resist the siren call of rhinocerosness

College Slice
Well hopefully they're paying for a phone they require you to have?

fyallm
Feb 27, 2007

College Slice

withoutclass posted:

Well hopefully they're paying for a phone they require you to have?

They pay for the line, but not the phone. And technically i can have an older phone just can't have any work applications. And it makes my job 50x easier if i can use my phone.

fyallm fucked around with this message at 04:31 on Dec 12, 2022

Deviant
Sep 26, 2003

i've forgotten all of your names.

if your work requires a phone your work should purchase the phone

fyallm
Feb 27, 2007

College Slice

Deviant posted:

if your work requires a phone your work should purchase the phone

They don't require a phone. They allow me to use one to make my job eaiser/more convenient for me. And they do pay for the actual monthly service for the line.

Anyways, thanks for the tip about the new phone

Desk Lamp
Jun 30, 2014
You can get a cheap Galaxy A to hold you over, Samsung might even give you more than you paid for it when you trade it on an S23.

Blue Footed Booby
Oct 4, 2006

got those happy feet

bull3964 posted:

The Pixel series is no more or less slippery than any other glass backed phone, I don't know why it's brought up so much as a Pixel specific thing. I sat my Fold 4 on the couch after unboxing, nowhere near the edge, and I had to dive for it as it just slid towards the edge.

Most people have a limited number of points of comparison because they haven't extensively tested every phone on the market. There are lots of potential ownership histories that lead to the pixel being unique in a person's experience.

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.
Also even the plastic-backed Pixels are super slippy

CaptainSarcastic
Jul 6, 2013

I've read articles that put some of the design of phones down to taking into account most people use cases nowadays, so they go with stuff that looks "premium" even if it doesn't make the most sense. Like loving glass backs on phones. Since the first thing most people due is put a case on it anyway.

I love my Pixel 6, but some small part of that is also because I love the case I have on it.

Charles 2 of Spain
Nov 7, 2017

I have a weird situation with my Pixel 4A. I went overseas for a week and while I was there bought a Vodafone sim card, swapped it out and it worked fine. When I returned back I put my original sim back in. But now I don't get any push notifications from my email and other background apps and can only receive these notifications if I directly open the app itself. All the notification settings and stuff are definitely switched on, I updated the system, deleted and reinstalled apps, and still the same problem.

The weird thing is that when I put the Vodafone sim back in again then the notifications work perfectly. So my vague theory is that it's something to do with the carrier, like the phone can't sync in the background because of Vodafone or something. Does anyone have any idea about what causes this?

Burden
Jul 25, 2006

Charles 2 of Spain posted:

I have a weird situation with my Pixel 4A. I went overseas for a week and while I was there bought a Vodafone sim card, swapped it out and it worked fine. When I returned back I put my original sim back in. But now I don't get any push notifications from my email and other background apps and can only receive these notifications if I directly open the app itself. All the notification settings and stuff are definitely switched on, I updated the system, deleted and reinstalled apps, and still the same problem.

The weird thing is that when I put the Vodafone sim back in again then the notifications work perfectly. So my vague theory is that it's something to do with the carrier, like the phone can't sync in the background because of Vodafone or something. Does anyone have any idea about what causes this?

I have had similar issues before from swapping sims and I needed to reset the network settings. . Put your original sim in and Go Settings - System - Reset Options - Reset Wifi, Mobile & Bluetooth. That should fix it.

SamDabbers
May 26, 2003

Burden posted:

I have had similar issues before from swapping sims and I needed to reset the network settings. . Put your original sim in and Go Settings - System - Reset Options - Reset Wifi, Mobile & Bluetooth. That should fix it.

It'd be nice if you could reset the mobile connection without having to re-pair all your Bluetooth devices and Wifi networks.

Sab669
Sep 24, 2009

I posted in the Short Hardware Questions thread but was suggested to post here [even though I suspect it's not really an Android/Pixel thing] so :shrug:

Sab669 posted:

This is more of a software question than a hardware question, but there really doesn't seem to be a "SOFTWARE Short Questions ..." equivalent that I could find? My question is about poor bluetooth performance across multiple phones & cars.

In the last ~7 years I've owned:
* 2016 Honda Fit
* 2013 Ford Fiesta
* 2016 (17?) Ford Focus
* 2012 BMW 3-series

Phone-wise, I've had the Google Pixel 2, 3, and now a 5. Not sure which phones I've owned alongside which cars though.

Bluetooth playback seemed to work pretty flawlessly in the Fit IIRC, but then the Fiesta it would have tons of buffering issues - like my media would stutter / stop / resume, even when playing mp3 files stored locally, it wasn't as if I was streaming from a service on a spotty data connection. The Focus was a bit better and used a newer version of Ford's Sync infotainment.

I just picked up this BMW last week and sometimes while streaming music from Spotify or playing it after downloading over Audible I get like "hiccups" in the audio where it'll repeat itself for a second periodically. Then yesterday my speakers started crackling while listening to music going to work. "That's annoying, but I guess it is 10/11 years old now" I thought to myself but then I swapped to the radio and the speakers were working perfectly, so even that crackling behavior somehow seems to be related to the bluetooth connectivity.

Is this like a "known thing"? Why does this happen? Were early-ish bluetooth receivers in cars just lovely "back in the day", or is it possible to update the software/drivers and maybe this will improve playback?

What confuses me the most is like a decade ago I had a 10 year old 350Z that I swapped an aftermarket head unit into and the Bluetooth playback was perfect then. If a cheap $100 unit from Best Buy can get it right why can't actual manufacturers :confused:

My phones have always worked fine with my portable bluetooth speakers, so I really don't think that's the issue.

TL:DR Have you guys had lovely performance via bluetooth in older cars from around the turn of the decade?

Sab669 fucked around with this message at 18:08 on Dec 12, 2022

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

One other thing to keep in mind, the airwaves have gotten more congested and 2.4ghz gets flattened a lot. When you are driving around, you are coming in and out of a ton of EMI sources in rapid succession.

I know back when I still commuted, there were a few smart traffic signals I would go by on the way to work that would hiccup bluetooth. Hell, even 5ghz isn't immune as I noted just the other week how when I rounded the corner past an apartment complex on the way to my parents house (both coming and going) I had a hiccup in wireless android auto.

It's a hostile world out there for wireless signals on shared frequency ranges and it's drat near impossible for everything to be tested in every condition.

Vykk.Draygo
Jan 17, 2004

I say salesmen and women of the world unite!
I have a 2016 Equinox and even though my S21+ connects to bluetooth right away, I have to wait a good 90 seconds before I switch over to bluetooth audio, otherwise I get really horrible stuttering.

Lima
Jun 17, 2012

I got the latest oxygen update for my oneplus 7t, and now the light dims extremely fast when I'm reading stuff.

Is there a way to increase the timer? I've looked at all power and screen settings but nothing seems to do the trick.

Sab669
Sep 24, 2009

bull3964 posted:

One other thing to keep in mind, the airwaves have gotten more congested and 2.4ghz gets flattened a lot. When you are driving around, you are coming in and out of a ton of EMI sources in rapid succession.

I know back when I still commuted, there were a few smart traffic signals I would go by on the way to work that would hiccup bluetooth. Hell, even 5ghz isn't immune as I noted just the other week how when I rounded the corner past an apartment complex on the way to my parents house (both coming and going) I had a hiccup in wireless android auto.

It's a hostile world out there for wireless signals on shared frequency ranges and it's drat near impossible for everything to be tested in every condition.

That's a good point. There was this 1 exact spot on the highway with the Fiesta every day where my music would always cut out. Very well might just be various sorts of EMI.

lostleaf
Jul 12, 2009
It's the annual mkbhd camera contest
If you have a few minutes try voting. https://vote.mkbhd.com/

Funnily enough my normal vs low light preferences are completely different. I picked MKB for regular and EDO for low light

lostleaf fucked around with this message at 22:52 on Dec 12, 2022

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

lostleaf posted:

It's the annual mkbhd cera contest
If you have a few minutes try voting. https://vote.mkbhd.com/
Funnily enough my normal vs low light preferences are completely different. I picked MKB for regular and EDO for low light

Did the whole thing. My results were:

🥇: O
🥈: H
🥉: G

This will be interesting.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Is there a way to list installed webapps on your phone (aka things that might have service workers and whatnot). (Wanna get my sister to do it, she's concerned about if she's done anything insecure and I'm in another city)

MikeJF fucked around with this message at 23:09 on Dec 12, 2022

Charles 2 of Spain
Nov 7, 2017

Burden posted:

Thanks, but that didn't work either. When I check my Google account for example it says the last sync happened hours ago so it's not automatically happening in the background for some reason. Perhaps a security thing?

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe
Standard: MLB
Low-Light: GAM
Portrait: GKH

sourdough
Apr 30, 2012
Category: Lowlight
🥇: F
🥈: P
🥉: M

Category: Standard
🥇: B
🥈: F

Category: Portrait
🥇: A
🥈: L

Hyped to see that F ends up being some piece of poo poo phone lol

Splinter
Jul 4, 2003
Cowabunga!
Does Google accept returns of phones that have been used for a few days (but are undamaged)?

codo27
Apr 21, 2008

Has anyone tested Samsung dex with an ultrawide monitor? And are you able to do portrait orientation?

SamDabbers
May 26, 2003

codo27 posted:

Has anyone tested Samsung dex with an ultrawide monitor? And are you able to do portrait orientation?

I was not able to get an S21 to output more than 1920x1080 using either a USB C -> DP cable or a USB C -> HDMI adapter. I tried on both a 4K monitor and a 3840x1600 ultrawide.

I've read that you can get higher resolution if you use a Samsung branded dex dock, but I wasn't into Dex enough to buy one.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Desk Lamp
Jun 30, 2014

codo27 posted:

Good Lock will allow you to enable all resolutions when using Dex. You can find the option under MultiStar.