Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

bulletsponge13 posted:

I find it real hard to get worked up over the morality of conventional weapon design. They are machines, without desire or intent. It just seems like getting worked up just to get worked up.

That hasn’t really been the modern thought on engineering ethics for decades. Technology isn’t inherently neutral, it carries the morality of its creators. Nuclear bombs aren’t neutral, they represent a society where the threat of mass destruction is important - nothing said we had to build and use them before we had the peaceful use of nuclear power. You can’t point at somebody building a better man killer and say that it was inevitable, and that its existence doesn’t promote a certain perspective on the world.

A more relatable and obvious example might be tech bros insisting that algorithms are inherently neutral, when they can manifest all sorts of behavior based on their creators’ biases.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zamujasa
Oct 27, 2010

Bread Liar

fknlo posted:

https://twitter.com/elonmusk/status/1602113254360162304?s=46&t=yL6UG_Jmeawz4LI1wwZLUw

His case of internet poisoning has gotten pretty severe.

Chelsea manning banging grimes is really loving him up. More than he was already hosed up. Hopefully some of the people he’s targeting can sue the poo poo out of him for libel.

Twitter delenda est.

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

People really shouldn’t be using the Qanon chat room anymore imo

Grip it and rip it
Apr 28, 2020

AreWeDrunkYet posted:

Doing just about anything else is a more ethical choice. How many engineers working for the MIC couldn't find alternate employment? Is it so unreasonable to suggest they could use their talents on something other than killing people more efficiently?

Depends on the job imo

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
I expect that Elon will blame the “Ukrainian biolabs”, but I would rather he pick a fight with the Chinese or U.S. governments by naming one or both of the other conspiracy darlings, WIV and Fort Detrick.

pantslesswithwolves
Oct 28, 2008

Platystemon posted:

I expect that Elon will blame the “Ukrainian biolabs”, but I would rather he pick a fight with the Chinese or U.S. governments by naming one or both of the other conspiracy darlings, WIV and Fort Detrick.

I would rather he pick a fight with one of his self-driving cars’ autopilot systems while they’re still in the alpha phase.

Dance Officer
May 4, 2017

It would be awesome if we could dance!

bulletsponge13 posted:

I find it real hard to get worked up over the morality of conventional weapon design. They are machines, without desire or intent. It just seems like getting worked up just to get worked up.

"I find it really hard to get worked up over the morality of conventional weapon design" I say, as I am developing cluster bomblets to look like toys as much as possible.

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

should have picked four fingers

pantslesswithwolves posted:

I would rather he pick a fight with one of his self-driving cars’ autopilot systems while they’re still in the alpha phase.

Just touch the orange wire

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Sadly he’d be ineligible for inclusion on this list.

Diarrhea Elemental
Apr 2, 2012

Am I correct in my assumption, you fish-faced enemy of the people?

Dance Officer posted:

"I find it really hard to get worked up over the morality of conventional weapon design" I say, as I am developing cluster bomblets to look like toys as much as possible.

Ah, yes, the strawman. Bastion of rational, good-faith discussion since time immemorial.

McNally
Sep 13, 2007

Ask me about Proposition 305

Do you like muskets?

Dance Officer posted:

Whoop whoop

Pull up

piL
Sep 20, 2007
(__|\\\\)
Taco Defender

Tiny Timbs posted:

Nuclear bombs aren’t neutral, they represent a society where the threat of mass destruction is important - nothing said we had to build and use them before we had the peaceful use of nuclear power.

Depends on the 'we'. Along with many other implements of violence, they were fundamental, though not individually necessary in enabling South Korean and Chinese peaceful use of nuclear power.

Blind Rasputin
Nov 25, 2002

Farewell, good Hunter. May you find your worth in the waking world.

ThisIsJohnWayne posted:

Granted this is CT but still. Hell of an expertise

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ih_mTjMrrb0

I remember seeing a video of this years back. We use these literally a hundred times a day and I guarantee if we tried to put a patient in one with the cover off they’d nope out so fast.

SerthVarnee
Mar 13, 2011

It has been two zero days since last incident.
Big Super Slapstick Hunk

Do keep me posted if this escalates. I got a cousin working in Serbia, North Macedonia, Montenegro and Bosnia-Herzegovina. (She travels a lot, yes). And I'd like to be just somewhat informed in case my mom comes rushing in talking about her sister being in a panic about my cousin.

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Every revolution evaporates and leaves behind only the slime of a new bureaucracy

Killed millions eh

A.o.D.
Jan 15, 2006
actually if you do some reading you'll find that there is no ethical invention under engineering

facialimpediment
Feb 11, 2005

as the world turns

fknlo posted:

His case of internet poisoning has gotten pretty severe.

Chelsea manning banging grimes is really loving him up. More than he was already hosed up. Hopefully some of the people he’s targeting can sue the poo poo out of him for libel.

https://twitter.com/Gizmodo/status/1602243126017789953?t=t5OiDMTA9BHct-G7_FNHyQ&s=19

Elon's dumb brain is still probably wondering why regular people aren't cheering for him anymore and inviting him to do Rick and Morty cameos anymore. Narcissistic gently caress probably will just retreat into his internet poisoning hole even more, so it ain't gonna get better!

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.
So, it hasn't been 100% confirmed by scientists yet, but we may have just hit a huge milestone towards workable nuclear fusion power.

https://twitter.com/thomas_m_wilson/status/1602011888652632064

bird food bathtub
Aug 9, 2003

College Slice

Cythereal posted:

So, it hasn't been 100% confirmed by scientists yet, but we may have just hit a huge milestone towards workable nuclear fusion power.

I'm still in cautious optimism stage on this one. Apparently some of their measuring equipment was damaged by the reaction at some point. Until I see independent duplication of results I'm skeptical.

Still hopeful because fusion power would be awesome.

SquirrelyPSU
May 27, 2003

Cythereal posted:

I understand this is proof of concept, however the following line is hilarious:

"The federal Lawrence Livermore National Laboratory in California, which uses a process called inertial confinement fusion that involves bombarding a tiny pellet of hydrogen plasma with the world’s biggest laser, had achieved net energy gain in a fusion experiment in the past two weeks, the people said."

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE
I mean, even proof of concept that nuclear fusion can be energy positive on Earth in practice would be nice to have. But even if this pans out, the engineering challenges will still be enormous, and workable nuclear fusion decades away.

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Every revolution evaporates and leaves behind only the slime of a new bureaucracy

Fusion power has been 20 years away for my over 40 years of existence.

This is cool tho. Hope it pans out!

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
All they have to do is come up with lasers a hundred times as efficient and also heat engines about twice as efficient

pantslesswithwolves
Oct 28, 2008

Sending you all light, love and this heartwarming story about Rhodesian Lowtax getting booed to hell and back after Dave Chapelle introduce him onstage.

https://twitter.com/SteveGoffman/status/1602229546383728640

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Sending you all light, love and this heartwarming story about Rhodesian Lowtax getting booed to hell and back after Dave Chapelle introduce him onstage.

The crowd erupted into a mixture of cheers and boos, before the boos clearly won out, according to footage posted on Twitter. [Update, 6:40 a.m. ET: The footage appears to have been deleted from Twitter for some reason, but you can still watch it below.]

Free speech absolutist

bulletsponge13
Apr 28, 2010

Dance Officer posted:

Go slurp poo poo through a dick shaped straw.

If you want to discuss my opinion and position, I have no problem with that. I do have a problem with you being a pretentious piece of poo poo and not entering in good faith so you can feel some sort of moral superiority.

Guess what? You carry more responsibility for their immoral and criminal use than the designer. It's your money, directly and indirectly that buys the weapons. It's the leadership you support and vote for that decides it's use. You allow them to be used in your name. You think because you are removed from culpability, when you loving aren't. You're a moral coward who runs their mouth in judgement because you didn't directly decide. Those children were killed in your name, just like mine.
You are just as much involved in the killing as a weapon designer you are just foolish enough to think that sending people to kill is any different than supporting those who order the killing.

E- I know where my moral lie, and where they end. I just don't pretend like this poo poo.

bulletsponge13 fucked around with this message at 15:16 on Dec 12, 2022

facialimpediment
Feb 11, 2005

as the world turns

That Works posted:

Free speech absolutist

Person probably deleted their account due to the attention / fanboy flood, as it was one of those cell-phone-in-a-case shows that the person snuck in a cell phone for. I haven't seen any other video footage of the thing, which is probably a chunk of why Dave pulled the "hey, look at my rich friend!" poo poo while Elon wants nothing more for professional comedians to find him funny (per NYT), and this will be as far as his replyguy rear end takes him.

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

bulletsponge13 posted:

Guess what? You carry more responsibility for their immoral and criminal use than the designer. It's your money, directly and indirectly that buys the weapons. It's the leadership you support and vote for that decides it's use. You allow them to be used in your name. You think because you are removed from culpability, when you loving aren't. You're a moral coward who runs their mouth in judgement because you didn't directly decide. Those children were killed in your name, just like mine.
You are just as much involved in the killing as a weapon designer you are just foolish enough to think that sending people to kill is any different than supporting those who order the killing.

:golfclap:

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug

Cythereal posted:

NIF isn't really workable proof of Fusion, but its proof that we can likely create net positive energy in a fusion solution. Its exciting data, but it needs to be verified in an actual fusion reactor, where there's still a lot of tech debt to be addresses like containment methods, etc.

facialimpediment
Feb 11, 2005

as the world turns
Donnie's special master bullshit and Chudge Eileen Cannon's bullshit is officially over.

https://twitter.com/kyledcheney/status/1602312877867765761?t=XT9c_ZBcwMeTb7IXu2iR8Q&s=19

Donnie had a week to appeal the appeals court decision, he didn't, so lol all dead, feds can look at / use everything they seized. End result is a four month waste of whatever.

facialimpediment fucked around with this message at 15:48 on Dec 12, 2022

TheWeedNumber
Apr 20, 2020

by sebmojo

bulletsponge13 posted:

Go slurp poo poo through a dick shaped straw.

If you want to discuss my opinion and position, I have no problem with that. I do have a problem with you being a pretentious piece of poo poo and not entering in good faith so you can feel some sort of moral superiority.

E- I know where my moral lie, and where they end. I just don't pretend like this poo poo.

My man. Yeah don't let that fucker phase you.

bulletsponge13
Apr 28, 2010

Rather than continue my diatribe, I'll add that the A-10 cannon is garbage with low hit probability, so maybe the designers did that to assuage the assholes who feel that designing the weapon, not buying and using it, is the arbiter of morality in warfare.

E- I'm not angry. I just find it to be a mark of poor character to act like the society doesn't play a larger role in this than the builder or the trooper.

bulletsponge13 fucked around with this message at 16:27 on Dec 12, 2022

Grip it and rip it
Apr 28, 2020
It's morally bankrupt that all the engineers throughout the generations designed firearms to remind me of big metal penises. They knew what they were doing...

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

bulletsponge13 posted:

Rather than continue my diatribe, I'll add that the A-10 cannon is garbage with low hit probability, so maybe the designers did that to assuage the assholes who feel that designing the weapon, not buying and using it, is the arbiter of morality in warfare.

E- I'm not angry. I just find it to be a mark of poor character to act like the society doesn't play a larger role in this than the builder or the trooper.

...what? At the rated range its meant to be operated, 80% of the rounds will fall within an 40 foot circle when fired from 4,000 feet (or 1333.333 yards) away. That's pretty accurate, and they designed the weapon specifically to have a bit of dispersion. Its meant to engage at the distance of the 120mm on the Abrams, and the Abrams is on a flat, stabilized platform versus an aircraft that is unstabilized.

Its a perfectly accurate weapon for what it was designed to do.

CommieGIR fucked around with this message at 16:49 on Dec 12, 2022

Hannibal Rex
Feb 13, 2010

They were shouting "BOOO-ER, BOOO-ER!"

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Prepare for my priapic projectile's exalted penetration
Nap Ghost
The GAU-8 is extremely useful for making dudes on the ground say “hell yeah.”

Otherwise, meh, to use it you have to be so low that you’ll likely get popped or damaged enough to abort unless fighting Afghan insurgents armed with AKs, RPGs, and IEDs.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

mlmp08 posted:

The GAU-8 is extremely useful for making dudes on the ground say “hell yeah.”

Otherwise, meh, to use it you have to be so low that you’ll likely get popped or damaged enough to abort unless fighting Afghan insurgents armed with AKs, RPGs, and IEDs.

Didn't say it was useful. But its laughable to say its not accurate for something designed to spit lead faster than you can think. Its more accurate for Counter Fire/Anti-Missile solutions than as an offensive weapon, which is why it got used in the Goalkeeper CIWS.

CommieGIR fucked around with this message at 17:02 on Dec 12, 2022

lightpole
Jun 4, 2004
I think that MBAs are useful, in case you are looking for an answer to the question of "Is lightpole a total fucking idiot".

Cythereal posted:

NIF has my dream job, that poo poo is so cool.

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Prepare for my priapic projectile's exalted penetration
Nap Ghost

CommieGIR posted:

Its more accurate for Counter Fire/Anti-Missile solutions than as an offensive weapon, which is why it got used in the Goalkeeper CIWS.

My take on Goalkeeper: not great when compared to its competitors and peers.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GoGoGadget
Apr 29, 2006

I have more of an issue with Dave Chappelle sticking up for him by making fun of the people fired from Twitter and the people in the poor seats that he claims all the boos were coming from than I do with how Elon handled the situation.