Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Stairmaster
Jun 8, 2012

a minotaur showed up and my military killed it with only minor civillian losses

unfortunately the necromancer decided to revive it as an undead berserker and now its killing my guys

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gosts
Jan 15, 2016

Guildhalls and demonstrations are cool but my guys just LOVE watching demonstrations. I've got like 30 people in each guild hall just watching people milk an imaginary udder and I would really like them to BUILD some ROOMS so they can sleep in them

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
man i keep getting crashes, never really had crash issues with DF before. My population at its highest was 24, but this fortress has been a habitual pattern of antman slaughter followed by a few survivors hanging on until migrants arrive. Right now I'm at 9 so it can't be too many dwarves.i have settled on basically one floor of the caverns with a big road and the whole map is essentially revealed on that level. but even with all the corpses and bone trash everywhere, its not really the busiest fort ive ever had. ive kinda been embracing not getting too attached to anyone, and i still have no military or mil infrastructure to speak of. i think once i carve/build out my basic stuff, which is 4x slower this way i can build a wall and funnel some traps so invasions arent so devestating. just hard since once things are running and positions filled, everyone dies again lol. if it keeps crashing though i may just abandon ship and call the undercity experiment a failure

Pakled posted:

Are the bones in your refuse stockpiles called "bones" or something like "skeleton" or "right leg bone" or something like that?

The bones that you use for bonecrafting come from a butcher's workshop, either butchering a recently-deceased animal or slaughtering a living one.

Oh, and skulls (for totems), shells, and teeth/ivory, they all use the bonecrafting labor but different categories in the workshop menu.

ah yeah mostly skeletons, but tons of teeth, ill work on crafting those.

GruntyThrst
Oct 9, 2007

*clang*

Okay i give up, how do I link stuff from imgur now? if I [img] the share link nothing posts

deep dish peat moss
Jul 27, 2006

I don't know what happened but after years and years of complete peace, a hill titan showed up so I sealed up the entrance to my fort, it stuck around until migrants came then it ate 6 of them and left the map. So I unsealed my entrance and memorialized/buried the missing migrants. Then a hammerdwarf showed up to steal my legendary cup. I sent my militia after him and they completely annihilated him but while they were gone a huge brawl broke out in my tavern and a bunch of people died. While I was looking at that trying to figure out what happened, Goblin Snatchers showed up and tried to abduct all the children in the fort. I sent my militia after them and they easily dispatched them, but again while they were busy a huge brawl broke out in the tavern and a bunch of dwarves died.

How do I figure out what caused tavern brawls to start?

e: Also I occasionally get alerts that someone was caught sneaking around, but they've never actually done anything, and they just leave on their own. What does that mean/what should I do about it?

deep dish peat moss fucked around with this message at 05:02 on Dec 12, 2022

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
Whoa, a dwarf entered a martial trance!

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
Udib Morulatham is dead

Jazerus
May 24, 2011

somebody got drunk and started wailing on someone else, then the victim's family and friends piled onto the belligerent drunk and then their family got involved also. if you're lucky a bar brawl will just take out some dumb elf bard that's visiting or whatever but if you aren't then you can get a serious riot

the real serious min-max type guides recommend having only a single tavernkeeper or none at all to prevent drinks from being served, which limits bar brawls, but that sounds positively undwarfly to me personally

Zurai
Feb 13, 2012

Wait -- I haven't even voted in this game yet!

Tavern brawls are caused in part by people getting drunk. Dwarves won't normally get drunk just fulfilling their basic drink needs, but in a tavern, they'll overdrink if you have a tavernkeeper or server filling their mug every time it goes empty. Non-dwarven visitors are even more susceptible. The remedy is not to assign any tavernkeepers or servers to the tavern.

wilderthanmild
Jun 21, 2010

Posting shit

Grimey Drawer
This is my most successful fortress in a while. Annihilated two goblin siges, killed a demon, killed a cyclops, have only had to kill one dwarf from failing a mood. The new UI experience really makes it easy to stick with this game compared to older versions.

Random disjointed things:

I think the ammo issue is caused by two things: First, dwarves are bad at picking up equipment and often give up for silly reasons. Second, the new default state for military dwarves is "off duty" and unlike before, they are not supposed to carry equipment in this state by default. So, if you either wait until something happens to give them orders or set them to ready right as you give orders, they scramble to get their equipment and end up doing stupid stuff like what happened in my story where only half the dwarves were properly equipped despite their being more gear available. After switching to always carry equip in the schedule, they seem to always have bolts now. I dunno why this is more noticeable with ammo, maybe because they also have to compete with hunters so they often are out of arrows?

I have one dwarf who has been throwing up for like 3 seasons. It's worrying, but also comical watching him just wander around vomiting everywhere with a trail of children and peasants cleaning up his mess.

What does "automate kitchen" do in standing orders?

Do forgotten beasts eventually leave if they can't path to the fortress? I sealed up all entrances to the cavern until I decide to mess with that. One showed up and he's kinda just going around murdering crundles, up to 6 killed now.

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

Gosts posted:

Guildhalls and demonstrations are cool but my guys just LOVE watching demonstrations. I've got like 30 people in each guild hall just watching people milk an imaginary udder

yeah grandpa, it's called dancing

Splash Attack
Mar 23, 2008

Yeahhh!
I am GHOS!!
Haaaaaa Ha Ha Ha!!

i started my first fortress and accidentally drowned everyone when i dug right up to the frozen river but figured it was fine.

then it thawed out and everyone drowned while i tried to stem the water flow

i then had my friend who had played a ton of dwarf fortress classic watch me stream and help me figure things out. although she hasn’t played the new version yet so we spent 15 minutes trying to figure out how the squads worked because it’s completely different from what she’s familiar with

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

...is water bugged such that it won't flow up through a floor grate? Not a flood gate, definitely a floor grate.

Above:

Below:

It all lines up perfectly even if my screenshots don't. What gives?

Elderbean
Jun 10, 2013

I think like half my population is visiting bards, poets, and dancers now. Is that normal? I’ve started turning down petitions now cause I don’t want to drain my food and drink too much.

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

Okay I went and linked the grate to a lever and popped it open and STILL water won't flow up through it. Is pressure just, like off?!

e: Okay now there's no grate or anything, just a hole in the wall, water still won't come up.

Bad Munki fucked around with this message at 05:33 on Dec 12, 2022

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

GruntyThrst posted:

Okay i give up, how do I link stuff from imgur now? if I [img] the share link nothing posts

right click the image and copy the direct link is what I've always done

e: also if anyone has any tips for these I'd appreciate it :)

IcePhoenix posted:

Booting the game up for the night and I'm gonna start by asking a bunch of questions that hopefully get answered as I stumble through some of the answers on my own :v:

What does a Chief Medical Dwarf do if they aren't assigned to any medical stuff? He's legendary at a lot of medical stuff (I realize this probably warns of danger but well this is my third fort and I made it halfway through year three already despite my best efforts otherwise) so I figured he'd be a good "leader" in that regard but I had to start assigning other dwarves (as well as him) to do medical stuff because it wasn't happening otherwise.

Since I didn't do the thing in worldgen with smoothing out cavern elevations, am I just stuck with an annoying to navigate cavern or can I just like mine everything out on a level or two and not worry about it caving in on top of me? I'd like to try and engage with...whatever I can do there, and maybe continue to dig deeper. I also have like half a dozen monster slayer residents because when I breached it I didn't realize how much stuff would come attacking me and I was not prepared at all so I just accepted whatever help I could get.

I made like eight temples but a lot of my dwarves aren't using them to pray, am I missing something with them? Also will generic temples fulfill that need?

What's a good size for a squad? I just got two waves of migrants pretty close together so I figure I can make some of my dwarves into just pure military now. Feels like the game really pushes me towards specializing as much as possible instead of letting "whoever" do a lot of tasks.

Is there a better way to store stone and ore than "a big fuckoff stockpile," since they can't stack or go in bins apparently?

Sort of fumbled my way through the night but nothing much happened. I spent a lot of time paused.

space uncle
Sep 17, 2006

"I don’t care if Biden beats Trump. I’m not offloading responsibility. If enough people feel similar to me, such as the large population of Muslim people in Dearborn, Michigan. Then he won’t"

My expedition leader got paralyzed by a giant lizard, so we hauled him into the hospital and he’s been mostly unconscious for the last year.

We also kept getting 0 migrants and I couldn’t figure out why.

I think it’s because the Liason has been trying to meet with an unconscious paraplegic for a year and never reported back home to tell folks to show up.

I need to appoint a new leader and see if that fixes it.

The traders also keep leaving their stuff behind at the depot when they leave, can I dismantle the depot and take it? It shows as “being traded” and is just stuck there.

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
lol gently caress this, i finally make a military and then it's seriously horn after horn after horn of cavern invasion. is there a cheatmode for this yet, can i make all my dwarves into superdwarves so they can work without constant harassment from jerks?

edit: and just noticed hordes of antmen leaving my fortress? like long lines of them, are they just trying to violently migrate? should i build them their own stairs to the surface?

Khanstant fucked around with this message at 05:36 on Dec 12, 2022

Flavahbeast
Jul 21, 2001

deep dish peat moss posted:

I don't know what happened but after years and years of complete peace, a hill titan showed up so I sealed up the entrance to my fort, it stuck around until migrants came then it ate 6 of them and left the map. So I unsealed my entrance and memorialized/buried the missing migrants. Then a hammerdwarf showed up to steal my legendary cup. I sent my militia after him and they completely annihilated him but while they were gone a huge brawl broke out in my tavern and a bunch of people died. While I was looking at that trying to figure out what happened, Goblin Snatchers showed up and tried to abduct all the children in the fort. I sent my militia after them and they easily dispatched them, but again while they were busy a huge brawl broke out in the tavern and a bunch of dwarves died.

How do I figure out what caused tavern brawls to start?

The tavern dudes were probably part of the goblin thief's civilization, I've had a couple big massacres in my tavern when an agent of a neighbor civilization tried to sneak in to grab an artifact and went hostile and some "tavern guests" sided with the thief

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
oh wow, legit down to 1 dwarf. a child playin in a boneyard somewhere

Khanstant fucked around with this message at 05:36 on Dec 12, 2022

Flavahbeast
Jul 21, 2001

cavern invasions can get pretty nuts right now yea, in my case the invaders from bird country never leave their entrance point so I can't beat them defensively, I have to send my dwarfs to painstakingly purge bird hell if I want to use the caverns for anything, and more bird men just keep coming

Super No Vacancy
Jul 26, 2012

is there supposed to be water in the cavern somewhere or just all this mud

Arrath
Apr 14, 2011

Uh when I opened the caverns I also got a message about finding a giant pit, and it is indeed giant as it goes down like 20 levels. Something terrible is gonna crawl out of this, isn't it?

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007

Arrath posted:

Uh when I opened the caverns I also got a message about finding a giant pit, and it is indeed giant as it goes down like 20 levels. Something terrible is gonna crawl out of this, isn't it?

Khanstant posted:

oh wow, legit down to 1 dwarf. a child playin in a boneyard somewhere

edit: granted, my whole gimmick was "live in the caverns from the very start and try to build a nice 1950s neighborhood.

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
haha waffling between trying to reembark with a squad of total bruisers armed to the teeth, or settling next door and sending some raids. noticed the humans and elves are at war with my civilization now. they werent before. many elves and humans did die in my tavern from constant antraiding. wonder if that cheesed em off?

StarkRavingMad
Sep 27, 2001

Yams Fan

Flavahbeast posted:

The tavern dudes were probably part of the goblin thief's civilization, I've had a couple big massacres in my tavern when an agent of a neighbor civilization tried to sneak in to grab an artifact and went hostile and some "tavern guests" sided with the thief

Yeah, I had one of my own dwarves steal an artifact from a pedestal and hand it off to some elven jerk. I convicted the dwarf (he got thirty days in chains) and sent my army after the elf. They chopped him down in the dining hall and right at the same time a bunch of tavern guests got splattered by my stonefall traps, which I assume went off the second they turned hostile. Which is a pretty cool visual: "Hey, you leave my friend alo..." **SPLAT**

There was a poor Gorlock bard who got splatted as well, I assume he was just standing in the wrong square at the wrong time.

StarkRavingMad
Sep 27, 2001

Yams Fan
I have the least aggressive Forgotten Beast down in my caverns. Every once in awhile I get a big announcement, pause screen that he's here. And then he, like, eats a crundle and fucks off the edge of the map again. See you again in a couple seasons, big guy.

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
Started a new fort but man, can't stop wanting to go back to the Undercity and trying again. I wonder if it's possible to wall off a cavern floor and make it safe. I was already slowly building a floor to make the entire place flat...If I built a wall a number of tiles from the edge of the entire map, could I make a quarantine zone? I would need to take care of a lot of little ramps all over the place, hmm.

Monathin
Sep 1, 2011

?????????
?

Second fort attempt - Trailboat - has been going pretty steady, but I'm kind of choked for migrants and no one seems to do what I assign them to do. Food is a little scarce so I set up some hunters who pick up their bolts and crossbow but don't go out to hunt (maybe there's nothing out there? Would suck, if so.) Working again on getting water into my fort but 18 people does not quite a fort make. I only have a few people trained in military - I should set up the others to train as well, but I found both chalk and hematite super easily, so I'm trying to get some steel going first and foremost.

e: Thanks for the tag, gang, back in the pit we go! :black101:

Monathin fucked around with this message at 06:16 on Dec 12, 2022

Atoramos
Aug 31, 2003

Jim's now a Blind Cave Salamander!

GruntyThrst posted:

Why are children always furious

I'm real glad this isn't just me.

Can I get some perspective on how prepared my dwarves should be before I start raiding around or digging deeper? I've got two small squads of three guys, and while they haven't been training or anything they do have a couple of pieces of armor and weapons.

I seem to have hosed up my migrants so I'm weighing if this fort's strategy is to hunker down and try to get some dwarf babies, or raid and pillage for wealth

edit: Thanks for the tag!!

STRIKE THE EARTH!

deep dish peat moss
Jul 27, 2006

I gave up on my old fort and started a new one. I feel like I haven't been thinking on a grand enough scale so this one's starting off with a 25x35x6 main hall

(I'm going to build around the outside of it on all edges, so I can smooth it mostly)

It's also a volcano map. I would like to fill the bottom of the grand hall with magma and then have bridges leading across the gap on higher levels.

Will this work if I just go tap into the volcano on the lowest layer of the grand hall and let it run into the hall? Like will the lava stay on that Z level? Or will it move up as more flows in?

i vomit kittens
Apr 25, 2019

I'd like a gang tag please; it can replace the Raccoon Goons one.

It was a loving baby that just did me in. I had everything going for me, up to 170 population and no shortage of anything my dwarves wanted (although fungus was starting to overtake my farm). Eventually I got brave enough to try manipulating water for the first time, so I started to plan for a drawbridge. The miner who decided to take on the job of cutting out the moat, father of the year, decided to bring his infant along. When he cut the wall that made the water start flowing, he was knocked unconscious by the force, and his baby drowned. It didn't seem like much of an accident, but dad was still pretty beat up about it and went insane, taking out 5 of his friends in the frenzy. I thought that was the end of it, but then the haunting started.

Infants may not be very strong, but their ghosts are a different story. First he battered a couple of farmers close to where he died, even drowning one of them in what I assume was a point to make about his death. Then the deaths started spreading downstairs. People were pissed, more started going insane, and other ghosts started to appear for their own killing sprees. The drawbridge started to overflow and flood my tavern below, which I quickly fixed by removing the bridge and plugging the moat. Unfortunately this made me an easy target for an army of elves who were pretty pissed about me chopping down all of their trees. My military squad was off harassing a town of goblins, so the only defense was a bunch of depressed and maddened dwarves with little in the way of weapons or armor. The elves killed their way down to temple level, where the religious fanatics who somehow still believed in a god after all of this managed to get the upper hand. It wasn't much of a victory, though, as I'd lost over 100 citizens in the battle.

Everyone who's left is pissed, and the entire fortress is probably haunted at this point. Things seemed like they were going pretty well for the first three years but I guess I really should have given that miner paternity leave.

beer gas canister
Oct 30, 2007

shmups are da best come play some shmups they're cheap and good and you like them
Plaster Town Cop

ushrir Kibsat had passed her first year at Oddomegen, "Cloistergift," mostly standing at the bank of a river, chatting and working with her fellow fisherdwarves. She was green on arrival, but regular squad training granted her a degree of security and confidence. The squad had never been called to action until a Snatcher appeared. That day ushrir was fishing, as usual, and spied the thief on at far bank of the river. Her squadmates were underground, some at training, and there was no time to wait. Ushrir immediately pursued the goblin, assisted by her faithful war dog. They chased the goblin for a time, the dog disabling its tendons, urshrir occasionally landing a stray punch to the kidneys (she does not bring her axe to fish). In the end, the goblin became exhausted and collapsed. Ushrir threw aside its hood and mask, raining blow after blow on the creature's head and neck until its arteries burst. Afterwords urshrir shakily retreated to the hospital, where she was able to recover and resume her fishing duties. She still bears light scars on her neck imparted by the teeth of the would-be child thief.

I found this whole affair so moving - this dwarf had never been in a real fight, was separated from the handful of other capable fighters, and just went nuts on that goblin. gang tag? replace the cool zone if needed

beer gas canister fucked around with this message at 06:23 on Dec 12, 2022

Nettle Soup
Jan 30, 2010

Oh, and Jones was there too.

Khanstant posted:

I have this forgotten-beast parchemnt scroll with a good story on it. Laying on the ground. Nobody will ever pick it up, can't place it on any pedestal. What's up with this scroll, anything to do with it? Can't trade it either. I get an empty tab for scrolls or whatever

I have the same issue. I put in a bug report, I think the ownership flags aren't being removed properly or something.

super nailgun
Jan 1, 2014

Khanstant posted:

Whoa, a dwarf entered a martial trance!

That happened to one of my guys after a goblin killed his dog. He was the only casualty of the raid because he wouldn't come back behind the line of armored dwarf soldiers at the entrance to the fort and insisted on instead taking the fight to the goblins, completely nude.

StarkRavingMad
Sep 27, 2001

Yams Fan

GruntyThrst posted:

This is an odd one, but I think some of it may be related to them not all having rooms. Some of the children that migrated in weren't assigned to rooms and never picked their own bedroom. I think maybe because the child age went up, some of them are coming in without parents? I only noticed this after I found some of them were actually renting rooms in my tavern. They seem to sleep in whatever bed they can find so they don't get unhappy sleeping on the floor thoughts, but maybe they also aren't getting happy thoughts from owning stuff. I don't know, I manually assigned the ones that didn't have rooms to bedrooms and it seemed to chill them out some.

Ursine Catastrophe
Nov 9, 2009

It's a lovely morning in the void and you are a horrible lady-in-waiting.

don't ask how i know

Dinosaur Gum
"Odd, the work order to encrust with gems doesn't have anything about a target"

"oh well it's probably fine"

I guess the nobles get a nest box in their bedroom now

StarkRavingMad
Sep 27, 2001

Yams Fan

Ursine Catastrophe posted:

"Odd, the work order to encrust with gems doesn't have anything about a target"

"oh well it's probably fine"

I guess the nobles get a nest box in their bedroom now

you gotta admit, that's one fuckin awesome nest box

Eiba
Jul 26, 2007

GruntyThrst posted:

Do you have toys for them?

I'm not 100% sure that's what fixed my angry child issue, but I crafted a bunch of glass mini forges and I keep finding them lying around in random places and the children don't seem to be as angry.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Admiral Joeslop
Jul 8, 2010

This lady refuses to cheer up. I put her on the military so she could fight and train, and in the Generic Crafting role so she could create things when not training and will not go higher than unhappy. Her one single yellow unmet Need is "Be with family" but she doesn't HAVE any family.

Maybe she just wants to have a lover but she's such a sad sack that no one wants her.