Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Atlas Hugged
Mar 12, 2007

Put your arms around me,
fiddly digits, itchy britches
I love you all
The downtown branches always have massive lines. Even my humble suburban mall branch has a heck of a wait on the weekends.

A neat little place not many have heard of is K79 at On Nut station. They have decent exchange rates and are far less busy than SuperRich.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mulozon Empuri
Jan 23, 2006

Just arrived in Bangkok yesterday. Seems more quiet than before Corona.

Most people still wearing masks as well. This isn't a requirement anymore though?

BabyFur Denny
Mar 18, 2003

Mulozon Empuri posted:

Most people still wearing masks as well. This isn't a requirement anymore though?

It doesn't need to be a requirement for people to wear masks, for a lot it's a matter of common courtesy

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here

Mulozon Empuri posted:

Wear a mask. Don't be that tourist.

Mulozon Empuri
Jan 23, 2006

It's too late. I have become what I hate

Atlas Hugged
Mar 12, 2007

Put your arms around me,
I love you all
It's quiet, but it's rebounding. They're also actively discouraging the old kind of tourist (backpackers and other low budget travelers looking for a cheap place to drink beer) and are courting high end tourists with loads of cash to burn, and there are significantly fewer of those.

Wear a mask.

Bushmaori
Mar 8, 2009
I was in Phuket a few months ago and funnily enough the overwhelming majority of people not wearing masks were tourists. One of them even told me "you don't need to wear that poo poo here".

I arrived in Hanoi a few days ago and I'm trying to find high-protein meals I can eat on gym days. I don't know much about Vietnamese food, so does anybody have any suggestions?

Mulozon Empuri
Jan 23, 2006

I get it. I'm just surprised. The day after it wasn't mandatory in Denmark nobody was wearing masks. I have sourced some masks.

The only think I know about vietnamese cuisine is fresh beer and Bahn Mi alas.

Atlas Hugged
Mar 12, 2007

Put your arms around me,
I love you all

Bushmaori posted:

I was in Phuket a few months ago and funnily enough the overwhelming majority of people not wearing masks were tourists. One of them even told me "you don't need to wear that poo poo here".

I arrived in Hanoi a few days ago and I'm trying to find high-protein meals I can eat on gym days. I don't know much about Vietnamese food, so does anybody have any suggestions?

Vietnamese egg rolls loving rule.

webmeister
Jan 31, 2007

The answer is, mate, because I want to do you slowly. There has to be a bit of sport in this for all of us. In the psychological battle stakes, we are stripped down and ready to go. I want to see those ashen-faced performances; I want more of them. I want to be encouraged. I want to see you squirm.

Bushmaori posted:

I spent a couple months in Mexico back in January, and I reckon probably 95%+ of the people not wearing masks were tourists. We always wore them anyway (Covid was much more concerning in January than it is now), but it was seriously noticeable. It was the same story across most of the country, from the northern deserts to the central mountains, both coasts, and of course down in Yucatan and Quintana Roo.

My wife and I eventually decided that it was a mixture of arrogance and the semi-conscious idea that "if I have a problem, I can afford the expensive level of care here or even fly home and get treated". Whereas the average Mexican is probably under no illusions about the kind of medical care they'll receive if they get Covid, so they end up taking it much more seriously.

Atlas Hugged
Mar 12, 2007

Put your arms around me,
I love you all
This is how I see it as well. It's very easy for a tourist, or an expat, or retiree to mock "the locals" for wearing a mask and to demand that the country change its policies if they have any. This is all in spite of the country in question being far less wealth or having far less infrastructure than where the foreigner is from (and millions died in the West for listening to that poo poo advice there).

BabyFur Denny
Mar 18, 2003

Atlas Hugged posted:

This is how I see it as well. It's very easy for a tourist, or an expat, or retiree to mock "the locals" for wearing a mask and to demand that the country change its policies if they have any. This is all in spite of the country in question being far less wealth or having far less infrastructure than where the foreigner is from (and millions died in the West for listening to that poo poo advice there).

Nah there must be more to it. Here in Singapore it's the same pattern and the mask wearing locals usually earn more and have far better and cheaper access to health care than the average American tourist.

Electric Wrigglies
Feb 6, 2015

In SE Asia there is a huge cultural thing around not getting sick from the cold / wet weather through prevention - just try carrying your own baby outside in the lightest of drizzle will have handy helpers running over to you to tell you it is raining and the little one needs to be taken inside.

And I agree it is from a time (in some places current time) when getting sick through exposure was time off work, a crop not harvested or harvested late, etc was just being reckless.

Australian Union rules during the first world war had stoppages mandated for wet weather for the same reason. A few days unpaid work was not worth the unnecessary exposure.

Paperhouse
Dec 31, 2008

I think
your hair
looks much
better
pushed
over to
one side

Bushmaori posted:

one thing you can do is install the Grab app and check out food on there. Hundreds of restaurants with menus you can see, usually with pictures. You can then either get it delivered or you can look at the address of the place and go there yourself. I'm in Saigon and there's a wide variety of stuff including non Vietnamese food, sure it's the same in Hanoi. Korean and Japanese food are common and popular if you're more familiar with those

Food is a bit different in the south so not sure how much my recs apply. But generally Vietnamese food often has a meat/fish component and a rice/noodle component. The meat portion is not always that large, but can be sometimes. Some stuff I eat all the time:

com tam - rice with a pork chop, pickles and fish sauce. can add a fried egg (op la)
com ga - rice with grilled chicken
bun thit nuong - cold noodle salad with herbs, veggies and grilled pork
pho - beef noodle soup
pho tron - basically pho with less/no broth
bun bo hue - better, different beef noodle soup
bun cha - grilled pork and meatballs in a noodle sauce/soup
bo kho - french inspired beef stew
bot chien - fried rice cakes and fried eggs with shredded papaya and soy/vinegar/chili sauce
banh cuon - steamed rice rolls filled with pork and vegetables
nem nuong - grilled pork sausages (kinda) rolled in rice paper with vegetables and herbs
ga nuong - grilled chicken
bo luc lac - beef with peppers, onions and rice
banh mi - sure you know this, but there are lots of options. thit - basically various processed pork meats, trung/op la - egg, heo quay - crispy pork, xiu mai - meatballs, xa xiu - char siu pork, ga xe - shredded chicken

again some of these are southern, you can still find them I'm sure but they may be less common in Hanoi. And idk how much protein they have but they're very typical Vietnamese dishes i.e meat and rice of some kind basically. Also Vietnam has good barbecue places where you can just order a big plate of meat and cook it yourself on a hot stone. Idk what the term is exactly but shouldnt be hard to find if you just Google Hanoi barbecue

Ibblebibble
Nov 12, 2013

BabyFur Denny posted:

Nah there must be more to it. Here in Singapore it's the same pattern and the mask wearing locals usually earn more and have far better and cheaper access to health care than the average American tourist.

Might just be a case of "got used to it". It's not mandatory here in Malaysia anymore but I still get the same feeling as I do in a dream where I forget to wear trousers out in public as when I forget to wear a mask.

Bushmaori
Mar 8, 2009
Thanks for the suggestions dudes.

Atlas Hugged
Mar 12, 2007

Put your arms around me,
I love you all
Legal weed has really changed my approach to a night out in Bangkok. I used to be out until 3 or 4 drinking beer. Now my nights out are at home rewatching Mad Max Fury Road.

Gucci Loafers
May 20, 2006

Ask yourself, do you really want to talk to pair of really nice gaudy shoes?

What is going with the whole weed situation? Is that going to be a thing?

Bushmaori
Mar 8, 2009

Crosby B. Alfred posted:

What is going with the whole weed situation? Is that going to be a thing?

Seems like they're leaning into it. Already a bunch of stores and street vendors in Khaosan. Outside of that places to buy are still pretty regular, though in my experience they tend towards small stalls once you get out of tourist centers.

Butt Reactor
Oct 6, 2005

Even in zero gravity, you're an asshole.
Alright thread, did some skimming earlier but could use recommendations for Singapore on NYE. Yes I looked at Atlas bar, and no, they're booked solid that night :lol: In lieu of, what would be some near-similar experiences? We're staying near the Anderson bridge so hanging out in the parks to watch the fireworks could work, but how feasible is it getting into someplace like the Marina Bay?

Oh, and this is catapulting into a two week excursion throughout Thailand, so I'll be soliciting advice shortly on that after I figure out dates and cities we're staying in tomorrow.

Strong Sauce
Jul 2, 2003

You know I am not really your father.

I’m not a weed guy really but it seems like the amount of places selling it is really excessive. Like every corner has a place. More so I’m pattaya than in Bangkok or Chiang Mai from what I’ve seen.

As for masks. I was only wearing them indoors or in crowded areas but got lazy and got a Covid scare out of it. Back to wearing masks again. Truthfully though it can be uncomfortable I’m the heat.

Strong Sauce
Jul 2, 2003

You know I am not really your father.

Oh this just popped up

https://twitter.com/khaosodenglish/status/1602163431985278977?s=21&t=Oz-M8ZQ95HJmmucNYgleOA

Atlas Hugged
Mar 12, 2007

Put your arms around me,
I love you all
The deal with weed in Thailand is that while it is legal, there are still some rules and there's growing backlash against it.

The way it was legalized was kind of weird. Basically, the Ministry of Health said that it was no longer a regulated plant and this was endorsed by the Royal Gazette, where all laws and changes to laws are published. Once that happened, weed was defacto legalized. The intent was for medicinal marijuana to be legalized, for marijuana to be available for research purposes, and for a local hemp industry to develop. Supposedly, recreational legalization was never actually intended, but was a consequence of delisting the plant as a controlled substance.

Some half-assed rules have been put in place since then: you can't sell online, you can't sell through vending machines, you can't sell to pregnant women, you can't sell to people under 20 years old. Online sales are pretty common through social media though. Still, you can just walk into a weed shop, pick what you want, pay however you feel, and walk out and that's basically all there is to it. It's amazing, really.

The market is obviously saturated with shops because every 20 year old thinks they can become a millionaire selling weed. There's no way half of these shops survive. You either need to be the only or best shop in an area or you need to have the best prices and most of these places are identical and don't really know what they're doing. Some of these shops are literally next door to one another, even if you're not in touristy areas.

As far as the backlash goes, yeah you have places putting up signs saying not to smoke it, but it goes deeper than that. There's a strong moral, conservative streak in Thai culture, or at least a performative one. Alcohol is a good example of this. You're technically not supposed to sell alcohol between 11am and 2pm, or 12am and 11am (at least from shops, bars can stay open until 2am). Alcohol is regularly blurred in television and advertisements. It's one of the reasons why soda water is so big here: Chang, Leo, Singha, etc can advertise soda water without running afoul of morality laws, so the product has to physically exist. There were even laws trying to ban the sale of alcohol from shops within a certain distance of schools, but given the density of schools in Bangkok, it basically meant that no alcohol could be sold in the city and the law was quietly forgotten about.

In any case, opponents to legalization want to officially ban recreational use and are playing every, "Oh, think of the children!" card they can think of. Two 10 year olds were caught smoking last week and the papers made it sound like the actual end of the world. Twitter comments basically just rolled their eyes at the absurdity of the reporting. Chances are, some kind of regulations will be put into place over the next year making it clearer what is and is not permissible, but it's a question of how much money from how high up is being pumped into the industry at the moment. The more money from powerful people that's going into weed, the less likely we'll see any major changes to the status quo despite certain segments of the population being deeply upset that I can make the best goddamn brownies in the world whenever I feel like it.

peanut
Sep 9, 2007

For comparison, is smoking cigarettes allowed inside restaurants?

Atlas Hugged
Mar 12, 2007

Put your arms around me,
I love you all

peanut posted:

For comparison, is smoking cigarettes allowed inside restaurants?

Obviously, no. But a lot of Thai restaurants are semi or mostly outdoors and while I think there are probably laws on the books about minimum distance from doors, if there are only three walls, or less than exactly four walls and a roof, people will be smoking. The kinds of bars that are getting reported on are the kinds of places where the "inside" is little more than a toilet stall, the literal bar, a fridge with beer, and a monitor with YouTube on it. There might also be a couple of barstools at the bar. The other tables and chairs are on the sidewalk.

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
There are a bunch of places I want to visit in SEA and around (Vietnam, Malaysia, Indonesia, but also SK, Japan, Australia and NZ which aren't SEA obviously) and it's very time consuming and expensive to fly from Europe to each separately. Since I can work remotely, are there any places that a) would let me stay for more than a few month on an EU passport, b) are cheap to do so c) have good low-cost airline connections to other countries around?

I'm guessing Singapore would be a good hub except for b). Malaysia maybe?

Electric Wrigglies
Feb 6, 2015

mobby_6kl posted:

There are a bunch of places I want to visit in SEA and around (Vietnam, Malaysia, Indonesia, but also SK, Japan, Australia and NZ which aren't SEA obviously) and it's very time consuming and expensive to fly from Europe to each separately. Since I can work remotely, are there any places that a) would let me stay for more than a few month on an EU passport, b) are cheap to do so c) have good low-cost airline connections to other countries around?

I'm guessing Singapore would be a good hub except for b). Malaysia maybe?

Singapore is not an easy place to just chill out immigrate to and not cheap accommodation wise.

Thailand is/was the crowd favourite. Malaysia is popular as is the Philippines. Air travel around SEA is not quite as easy as around Europe but it is probably the next best after Europe for international flights so don't be afraid to be a little out of the way.

Philippines is probably the easiest to do due to English being an official language and still being quite cheap for a given quality of life. I would just book an AirBNB for a short while sussing out the place and probably make sense to book an AirBNB for the full time you are there.

How will the timezone difference effect you? If you are a nightowl, then the eight hour time difference between Philippines and UK might be right up your alley or maybe your work is time of day agnostic.

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

Electric Wrigglies posted:

Singapore is not an easy place to just chill out immigrate to and not cheap accommodation wise.

Thailand is/was the crowd favourite. Malaysia is popular as is the Philippines. Air travel around SEA is not quite as easy as around Europe but it is probably the next best after Europe for international flights so don't be afraid to be a little out of the way.

Philippines is probably the easiest to do due to English being an official language and still being quite cheap for a given quality of life. I would just book an AirBNB for a short while sussing out the place and probably make sense to book an AirBNB for the full time you are there.

How will the timezone difference effect you? If you are a nightowl, then the eight hour time difference between Philippines and UK might be right up your alley or maybe your work is time of day agnostic.
Yeah that's my concern with Singapore. IIRC Scoot is based there though which would've been convenient. Thailand is nice but I didn't get the impression that it's a major transport hub, but maybe that's not much of an issue or it changed since I've been there. Philippines might be a good idea I haven't considered, thanks!

There's nobody I work with in my CET timezone actually, my immediate team are either on the East and West coasts of the US. We have one Singapore based guy though who occasionally gets to enjoy late-night meetings lol.

Ibblebibble
Nov 12, 2013

Malaysia will let you stay on a tourist visa for 90 days and you can go cross a border to renew it indefinitely. If you gently caress up and forget and get caught you will be deported and barred from reentry though.

webmeister
Jan 31, 2007

The answer is, mate, because I want to do you slowly. There has to be a bit of sport in this for all of us. In the psychological battle stakes, we are stripped down and ready to go. I want to see those ashen-faced performances; I want more of them. I want to be encouraged. I want to see you squirm.

Ibblebibble posted:

Malaysia will let you stay on a tourist visa for 90 days and you can go cross a border to renew it indefinitely. If you gently caress up and forget and get caught you will be deported and barred from reentry though.

Yeah I’d recommend Malaysia as well. AirAsia is based in KL and flies almost everywhere in the region, the food is great, internet is pretty reliable, things are generally cheap, it’s fairly safe, and enough people speak English that you can get by.

There’s not a colossal amount of stuff to “do” in KL, unlike say Bangkok or even Singapore, but it’s interesting enough plus you’ve got a whole fascinating country to explore.

Irony.or.Death
Apr 1, 2009

KL is a great place to hang out and eat many kinds of good food if you know people or want to meet people doing that, but yeah standard sightseeing/activities around town you could knock out in two very relaxed days. Not being able to walk more or less anywhere is miserable. Some pretty good indoor climbing gyms if you're into that. I am told the rest of the country has some cool stuff we're not going to visit because of monsoon season/bad roads but I suspect the real reason is that I'm the only one who cares about tea.

Mulozon Empuri
Jan 23, 2006

Koh Tao is pretty nice.

My recommendation for anybody going here is be younger and singeler than me. But that is my general advice to anybody.

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

Ibblebibble posted:

Thailand works similarly, you can do a day trip every few months to slap the snooze button on your visa. Both places will get annoyed if they officially notice you working while there on a tourist visa but you are unlikely to be detected if you aren't interacting with the local economy as part of your duties and you aren't taking up two tables at a cafe as your "office" every day for a month.

Electric Wrigglies
Feb 6, 2015

Midjack posted:

Thailand works similarly, you can do a day trip every few months to slap the snooze button on your visa. Both places will get annoyed if they officially notice you working while there on a tourist visa but you are unlikely to be detected if you aren't interacting with the local economy as part of your duties and you aren't taking up two tables at a cafe as your "office" every day for a month.

They started doing a big cleanout of the old visa run crew. At first just focusing on the bus to poipet and back visa run crew that they let exit the country then not let them back in, then on air ticket visa runs. Has that stopped now? Have they got rid of enough lost in Asia in the 70's -90's that were hitting retirement with no saving types that were begging off other expats so they can go back to letting the visas be refreshed again without issue?

My workmate was married to a Thai and he was getting grilled at one stage there.

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

Electric Wrigglies posted:

They started doing a big cleanout of the old visa run crew. At first just focusing on the bus to poipet and back visa run crew that they let exit the country then not let them back in, then on air ticket visa runs. Has that stopped now? Have they got rid of enough lost in Asia in the 70's -90's that were hitting retirement with no saving types that were begging off other expats so they can go back to letting the visas be refreshed again without issue?

My workmate was married to a Thai and he was getting grilled at one stage there.

As recently as 2012-2020 that worked for the people I'm personally aware of.

Electric Wrigglies
Feb 6, 2015

Hello thread, I got something a bit unusual. I'm planning a wedding in Vietnam and specifically on a boat in Ha Long Bay. Neither family is from Vietnam, the location chosen as the most viable location for both families to travel to and still be interesting.

Current thought is,

Budget ~$100k but not strict - a lot of it will be consumed by flights/accommodation though.
Late Dec 2023, early Jan 20224.
A two days one night wedding boat package - partner went and looked at one package provider in person and the boat seems nice enough and the staff gave a professional impression. The quote was $18k USD for 60 people, not including the bus to and from Hanoi, photographer or band mainly.
A number of guests would not be able to afford to come so some of the budget would be on their flights/accommodation. For those, I'm thinking to get accommodation in Hanoi old town for the time outside being on the boat for the wedding itself (say a week as this will be the only international trip in their life for some of them). The other guests would sort themselves out aside from being picked up and dropped off in Hanoi.
Faily low maintenance wedding expectations.

My concern is while a google search suggests that the weddings in Ha Long bay are a thing, not all tour operators are reputable and unsure best way to verify that all will be fine. My overall lack of contacts in Vietnam is a cause of concern.
It is tempting to just ask the package provider to do as much as possible - photographer, hotels, visa support, renting suits, etc.

Anyway, any thoughts you might have, jot them down and post as it would be appreciated.

peanut
Sep 9, 2007

That sounds hella cool and nice.

We hired a van w driver through HVG Travel https://hvgtravel.com/ and got urgent visas through vietnam-visa.com and everything went very smoothly considering our ever-changing schedule.

I can also recommend a superb interpreter based in Hanoi who may be able to help with coordination after everyone arrives https://transtrust.net/

peanut
Sep 9, 2007

Skip the suits though

Butt Reactor
Oct 6, 2005

Even in zero gravity, you're an asshole.
Any suggestions to river cruise dinners in Thailand, specifically Bangkok, Chiang Mai, and/or Phuket? Trying to add a bit of romanticism to this two week trip my wife and I are taking around Thailand, which is bookended by a couple days in Singapore.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FizFashizzle
Mar 30, 2005

throwing an itinerary by you guys for critique/suggestions. Tickets to Bangkok are already purchased, arriving feb 5th and flying out feb 18th.

get in to Bangkok 12:05a on Feb 5.

Thinking of flying down to Koh Samui at 6 am the same day then heading to Koh Phangan for a full moon party that night. This wasn't the reason for going but hell, I'm there, why not. turn around might suck but we'll be able to shower and get cleaned up in the airport.

Few days on the beach/recovering, then off to Koh Samui to Siem Reap. Angkor Wat is a bucket list of mine so we're gonna spend a few days taking it all in.

From there, Siem Reap to Hanoi. Take in the city, eat as much food as I can, do touristy poo poo like Ha Long Bay, etc

End with a few days in Bangkok. just being in a big, fun city with great food and warm weather.

I'l need visas for Vietnam and Cambodia

Any suggestions/thoughts about this?