Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Grizzled Patriarch
Mar 27, 2014

These dentures won't stop me from tearing out jugulars in Thunderdome.

harperdc posted:

You should get that. Especially coming from a more entry-level DSLR, it’s going to feel like magic - yes, even the “slow” AF is going to feel real.

Is it the 35 f/2 or 35 f/1.4? Either way, a good deal.

It's the f/2 - I told him I'm interested so I think I'm just gonna pull the trigger on it, I imagine it would be a very long time before my own skill stopped being the limiting factor when considering my next upgrade.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Krataar
Sep 13, 2011

Drums in the deep

Would a 14-42mm work decent for cars? Id be able to rent an mft lens before i get to the place tomorrow if not.

gschmidl
Sep 3, 2011

watch with knife hands

I'm going to have the opportunity to photograph the Aurora Borealis in Norway in early January. Should I look into getting a lens warmer/dew heater, or will it be fine after a few minutes anyway?

Grimson
Dec 16, 2004

gschmidl posted:

I'm going to have the opportunity to photograph the Aurora Borealis in Norway in early January. Should I look into getting a lens warmer/dew heater, or will it be fine after a few minutes anyway?

It's not gonna be a problem at all. Invest in a spare battery instead and keep it close to your body while you're outdoors.

Source: I've lived north of the arctic circle for three years.

theHUNGERian
Feb 23, 2006

gschmidl posted:

Dew is more of an issue when you go from a cold place to a warm place. But even then, just leave it alone for an hour and you should be fine.

Source: I spent a week in a tent on a glacier in Alaska without any issues.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

theHUNGERian posted:

Dew is more of an issue when you go from a cold place to a warm place. But even then, just leave it alone for an hour and you should be fine.

Source: I spent a week in a tent on a glacier in Alaska without any issues.

It can also happen if humidity shifts, I always run a heater in the midwest if I'm shooting predawn. If the lens is colder than the air currents and there's water in it.. hello fogged lens.

Definitely not an issue in January north of the arctic circle though.

Shrieking Muppet
Jul 16, 2006

gschmidl posted:

Did it in Alaska recently and had no need but it was just below freezing. Stable tripod, spare battery and remote shutter release are definite bring alongs.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

If it's below freezing and I'm out for several hours I bring a power bank to run the camera. With a long cable so I can keep the battery in my coat.

A stack of batteries work too but I find battery juggling to be real annoying.

Don't forget hand warmers so you can stay warm too.

big scary monsters
Sep 2, 2011

-~Skullwave~-
The most important thing in photographing the aurora in Norway is a good local guide and/or persistence. The Earth weather is often bad in January and the space weather can be too, so be prepared to drive a couple hours to where it's good or try again the next night. Otherwise take warm clothes, a wide lens and a tripod and you can't miss. Feet get the coldest so if you don't have great boots try heated insoles.

big scary monsters fucked around with this message at 05:27 on Dec 5, 2022

gschmidl
Sep 3, 2011

watch with knife hands

Thanks all, I have the local guides, tripod, remote, hand warmers and two extra batteries sorted. I'm used to cold weather here so I have the requisite gear there, too. Power bank and cable seem like a good idea in any case. I'll share results if I get any!

Huxley
Oct 10, 2012

Grimey Drawer
Hello gear thread, I've been shooting a Fuji XT10 for the past 5-6 years and am wondering if one of the newer bodies has like, earth-shakingly improved high-iso performance? I haven't really checked in on stuff lately, just sort of happily shooting it with the 18-55 and some random old 50/2s I dug up.

Also, as my amateur event photography has picked up, it may be time for something longer than 55.

Mega Comrade
Apr 22, 2004

Listen buddy, we all got problems!
https://www.dpreview.com/reviews/im...694203520621039

ISO performance no. But auto focus, battery life and image stabilization yes, the in-body stabilisation in particular should allow you to drop down to a lower iso and still maintain sharp images.

Mega Comrade fucked around with this message at 16:43 on Dec 5, 2022

Thoren
May 28, 2008
I like shooting at 1/30 effortlessly.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Despite being an idiot who often refuses to look at them anyway, I love how lighting gear (modifiers, grip etc) seems to come with zero instruction whatsoever. Here's a pack of gear we've hand picked to work together, good luck working out how it all fits together. Genuinely surprised it didn't come with a flyer for a seminar on how to use it, though.

(I'm sure when I get some time in the next few days I'll get everything worked out and talking to each other. Gonna do a shoot of some pups on the weekend and just don't want to look a fool!)

digitalist
Nov 17, 2000

journey into Kirk's unknown

gschmidl posted:

Thanks all, I have the local guides, tripod, remote, hand warmers and two extra batteries sorted. I'm used to cold weather here so I have the requisite gear there, too. Power bank and cable seem like a good idea in any case. I'll share results if I get any!

Didn't see it mentioned but just in case you haven't come across it elsewhere, before coming back in from the cold, place your camera/lenses in a ziplock bag (or any bag you can seal) and wait an hour or so for the camera to warm up before taking it out again. This should help prevent condensation from forming on/in your gear.

gschmidl
Sep 3, 2011

watch with knife hands

digitalist posted:

Didn't see it mentioned but just in case you haven't come across it elsewhere, before coming back in from the cold, place your camera/lenses in a ziplock bag (or any bag you can seal) and wait an hour or so for the camera to warm up before taking it out again. This should help prevent condensation from forming on/in your gear.

Nice, my comically oversized cable organizing ziploc leftovers will finally be useful. Who's laughing now??

Thoren
May 28, 2008
Is it safe to store a little point-and-shoot with lens fungus in my dry cabinet?

Also, think it's worth getting fixed/cleaned? This Fuji X70 is from 2016 and cost me about $250.

(Accidentally posted this in the questions megathread)

JAY ZERO SUM GAME
Oct 18, 2005

Walter.
I know you know how to do this.
Get up.

Bag it up if you're going to store it with other things. Probably not worth getting cleaned, but that's just a guess.

cool little camera, i don't remember those

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Fungus spores are literally everywhere, all they need to start causing problems is the right amount of humidity and something to eat. Quarantining a damaged lens from good lenses won't do anything if they're sitting in a stew favorable to growth.

Thoren
May 28, 2008

JAY ZERO SUM GAME posted:

It's a nice little camera, almost as small as a Ricoh GR but a little heavier and without the one-handed operation. The build quality is great. It feels just like the older X100 designs.

xzzy posted:

Fungus spores are literally everywhere, all they need to start causing problems is the right amount of humidity and something to eat. Quarantining a damaged lens from good lenses won't do anything if they're sitting in a stew favorable to growth.

I have a small dry box. I guess I'm just paranoid. Luckily the local Fuji service center just said cleaning would cost about $20-40.

Thoren fucked around with this message at 03:49 on Dec 9, 2022

Megabound
Oct 20, 2012

If you're super concerned leave it in the sun for a bit for the UV to kill it off but I wouldn't be too concerned

JAY ZERO SUM GAME
Oct 18, 2005

Walter.
I know you know how to do this.
Get up.

Thoren posted:

It's a nice little camera, almost as small as a Ricoh GR but a little heavier and without the one-handed operation. The build quality is great. It feels just like the older X100 designs.

I have a small dry box. I guess I'm just paranoid. Luckily the local Fuji service center just said cleaning would cost about $20-40.
that's a deal, amazing

SMERSH Mouth
Jun 25, 2005

What’s a local Fuji service center? I just packed up and mailed my X-T2 to New Jersey from Texas because I thought there were only like two or three in the US.

theHUNGERian
Feb 23, 2006

SMERSH Mouth posted:

What’s a local Fuji service center? I just packed up and mailed my X-T2 to New Jersey from Texas because I thought there were only like two or three in the US.

http://www.sp-ts.com/fujifilm-cameras/ serviced my GW690II last year. Turn-around time and price were exactly as promised. Zero surprises, and no complaints.

frogbs
May 5, 2004
Well well well

JAY ZERO SUM GAME posted:

Bag it up if you're going to store it with other things. Probably not worth getting cleaned, but that's just a guess.

What's the guidance on camera/ lens storage? I've been keeping all my cameras and lenses, of various vintages, in one big (dry) dresser drawer. Is it actually better to leave everything out so it can breathe and get some light?

gschmidl
Sep 3, 2011

watch with knife hands

frogbs posted:

What's the guidance on camera/ lens storage? I've been keeping all my cameras and lenses, of various vintages, in one big (dry) dresser drawer. Is it actually better to leave everything out so it can breathe and get some light?

Each lens should be stored in its own climatized lens rotator box (to prevent the glass, which is a liquid, from pooling at one end*). Unrelatedly, I'm selling these boxes for $3500 a pop.

* I know someone who rotates his lenses because he believes this unironically

Lily Catts
Oct 17, 2012

Show me the way to you
(Heavy Metal)

frogbs posted:

I put them in an airtight box along with a dehumidifier from Daiso (those boxes you open that have silica gel beads in them) because I'm too poor to get a drybox

Mega Comrade
Apr 22, 2004

Listen buddy, we all got problems!
I just have mine on a shelf behind me. I dust them every now and again.
If you want something more protective then one of those large giant tupperware boxes with a few silica gel satches thrown in is probably fine.

After that your looking at a few hundred $ for a drybox.

Ethics_Gradient
May 5, 2015

Common misconception that; that fun is relaxing. If it is, you're not doing it right.

frogbs posted:

Mine all just stay in their respective camera bags so I can pick them up and go; I have one that I'll swap between for my Fuji X-H1 kit or Hasselblad kit, one for my 4x5 kit, and one for my 8x10 kit. The other stuff that I use less often is stored under my bed in long, relatively shallow plastic boxes (mostly forgotten 35mm or E-mount crap)

I do have some analog gear that's sitting out on shelves/on top of bookcases, but it's more to remind/guilt trip me into finishing fixing them rather than a conscious decor choice.

Thoren
May 28, 2008

SMERSH Mouth posted:

In some countries they have locations in major cities where you can walk in and get your gear serviced.

I think this is an extreme example of the pricing structure. Fuji Thailand makes it super valuable to have a 'local' product as opposed to grey market. The entire used market there puts high demand on locally sold products.

khy
Aug 15, 2005

Hello goons I would like advice.

My father's somewhat of an amateur photographer and he really loving enjoys it. I wanna get him something fun for Christmas. In speaking with my mother, she said he has lots of macro lenses and lenses for up close but lacks stuff for longer-distance. I'm thinking of getting him a long distance telephoto zoom lens. He has a Canon 7D camera.

Could anyone who knows poo poo about cameras tell me if this is a decent lens/price/etc?

https://www.amazon.com/Ultimaxx-420-800mm-840-1600-Telephoto-Cameras/dp/B08P54JHD2/

SMERSH Mouth
Jun 25, 2005

No it’s terrible. Get a canon 55-250 IS STM instead.

E: if you don’t like the price on Amazon, look on eBay for a used or open box copy. They are good lenses. They might seem expensive, but for lenses that are actually decent they’re a good, good value.

SMERSH Mouth fucked around with this message at 03:48 on Dec 13, 2022

khy
Aug 15, 2005

https://www.amazon.com/Canon-EF-S-55-250mm-F4-5-6-Cameras/dp/B00EFILVQU

This the one you'd recommend instead?

SMERSH Mouth
Jun 25, 2005

Yes absolutely, as a user of this lens model. See my edit on previous post if you want to save some money.

khy
Aug 15, 2005

Excellent, thank you very much!

litany of gulps
Jun 11, 2001

Fun Shoe
If you want to spend a little more money, the Canon 70-200mm F/4 is an excellent multipurpose lens. Slightly better for lower light conditions, weather sealed, and is a bit more compact. I run a school yearbook program with a bunch of 7D’s and the 70-200’s are our workhorse lenses.

Philthy
Jan 28, 2003

Pillbug
Canon has the latest EF-S 55-250 refurbished for $99.

https://www.usa.canon.com/shop/p/refurbished-ef-s-55-250mm-f-4-5-6-is-stm

I own two, and they're a fantastic lens. I liked the original so much, I bought the latest model as well.

They also have my current favorite lens for walking around refurbished for $79. EF-S 24mm 2.8. It's incredibly sharp and compact. Great for low light, and on a crop sensor like the 7D it'll be around 40mm which is nice.

https://www.usa.canon.com/shop/p/refurbished-ef-s-24mm-f-2-8-stm

They never left my bag when I used my 7D mark 2, and they come along with me 70% of the time with my R7 currently. They're real good, IMO.

Philthy fucked around with this message at 06:02 on Dec 13, 2022

Verman
Jul 4, 2005
Third time is a charm right?
I've been seeing the 70-200 f4 selling used for $300-400. It's a brilliant lens. If I were in canon and you're looking at spending a few hundred bucks, that lens is a no brainier.

55-250 if you can't spend as much
70-200 f4 if you want to give a lens that you'll keep forever.

gschmidl
Sep 3, 2011

watch with knife hands

Depending on how zoom you want to go, the Sigma 150-600 is also really good.

These were taken from ~20m above.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

i wear this armour to protect myself from the histrionics of hysterical women

bitches

Does anyone have or know anything about the Samyang lens USB dock? I got one to update the firmware on my trio of lenses, but every time I try to connect to it with the Samyang Lens Station software it says "Access to the port 'COM1' is denied", and sub in every number for every other USB port (which means the software is at least detecting which port the dock is plugged into every time). None of the instructions of troubleshooting remotely helps, and I can't even find a random person 5 years ago who at least had the same problem and solved it without posting the answer.

I'm at a complete loss as to how to get it working. Mine is the E mount one if that makes a difference.