Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Pyroi
Aug 17, 2013

gay elf noises
Honestly wasnt expecting Ace to be eliminated already. Thought that would be down thr line a bit.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Trogglodyte
Apr 5, 2015

Infinite Darkness

Junpei posted:

-I had a suspicion that the Jamato were born of dead Riders, and we have a Jamato saying something Taira did.

There's a shot of the greenhouse back when the greenhouse was first shown with the gardener standing over a bunch of fractured ID Cores. ID Cores are tied to Desires - you get them back if you have one. It's pretty apparent the Jamato are feeding off their desires.

Trogglodyte fucked around with this message at 04:33 on Dec 12, 2022

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Restaurant de Nouvelles "À Table" Proudly Presents:
A Climactic Encounter Ending on 1 Negate and a Dream
Haruka is the single best character in sentai history.

Junpei
Oct 4, 2015
Probation
Can't post for 11 years!
I'd say that Jon and Ben's ID cores being a white tiger and a panther (at least that's what they look like from what I saw) is kinda on-the-nose, but considering one of the biggest superhero franchises's current movie is called Black Panther, we Americans don't really have a leg to stand on in that argument.

Pyroi
Aug 17, 2013

gay elf noises
Todays Donbros was two completely unrelated stories, in both plot and tone. I love the Beast Road.

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012

ZenMasterBullshit posted:

Haruka is the single best character in sentai history.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Just started watching Donbrothers and six minutes in it's like "Oh, it's They Live!"

MadScientistWorking
Jun 23, 2010

"I was going through a time period where I was looking up weird stories involving necrophilia..."

Its such an insane episode. You had a serious plot and a really goofy plot and it worked.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Were any of the driving instructors in the latest DonBrothers previous Sentai actors? Some of them looked familiar somehow

M.Matsuda
May 9, 2014

May the Sacred Flame shine forth!

Larryb posted:

Were any of the driving instructors in the latest DonBrothers previous Sentai actors? Some of them looked familiar somehow

Suit actors for Kiramei Green, and Yellow. and the final one was Gamel from OOO (along with Nephrite from PGSM, and that one makeup artist from Kabuto )

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

M.Matsuda posted:

Suit actors for Kiramei Green, and Yellow. and the final one was Gamel from OOO (along with Nephrite from PGSM, and that one makeup artist from Kabuto )

Ah, I knew I recognized him from somewhere. Thanks

Twelve by Pies
May 4, 2012

Again a very likpatous story
Watched the big super anniversary Saber/Zenkaiger movie since I got past the crossover episode in Zenkaiger. I didn't understand anything regarding the Saber parts but that's fine. That series looks like it has way too many Riders, I know that feels like a weird thing to say when Ryuki and Geats exist but nine Rider dudes standing around and doing a roll call feels very different from rotating Riders like Geats has or even the Rider War from Ryuki (especially since there was usually a central antagonist in Ryuki so there weren't nine dudes running around at once).

The story was vaguely interesting I guess? It always feels weird to put words in dead people's mouths about this sort of thing. Like I'm not saying their sentiment about what Ishinomori wanted is wrong but I do have to wonder how he would actually feel about these things he created that have been hardcore pushed into "Sell as many plastic toys as possible." It's not like toys didn't exist in these series before he died but later series have just really ramped up things. Like, again, just look at Saber. That's how many belts and books and swords to buy? It's kind of ridiculous. Though I'm not saying they can't do good stories just because there's lots of toys, like Ex-Aid was incredibly good and so was Kiramager.

I'm glad the Akibarangers got to appear in an official movie (though they did get a mention in Gavan vs Dekaranger). That was a pretty great scene with all the monsters setting their death flags.

I'm a little disappointed "J turns giant then gets immediately jobbed" is no longer a tradition in crossover movies.

I have absolutely no idea what to think of Revice.

Potsticker
Jan 14, 2006

Had to play a little catchup on Geats (12-14) and wow that mansion game plot kind of felt like the writer was making up new details (and forgetting old ones) as they went along. Also it seemed kind of weird that they could just re-roll the gambling buckle without any sort of narrative cost. One of those "well why don't they keep spinning until they hit what they want?" sort of things. The belt is cool, but the dramatic tension isn't really there if the response to hitting a bad result is to just simply spin again. But that's all forgotten because the episodes after that we get a really cool new upgrade/suit and the plot feels like it's finally done with the setup and the train has left the station. Punkjack and Geats sharing some absolutely wonderful screentime together, Griori blatantly causing his own problems, and a fantastic face turn. I'm so excited about this show right now. I'm finally fully on board with the belts now that they've separated from the weak generic buckles as the main/only items the characters have. The human folding CG still kind of icks me out, but largely it goes by so quickly it doesn't manage to pull me out of things like it did earlier on in the show.

The scene with Ace dumping all his toys into Keiwa's arms was really hilarious. By the end of 14 I love all five of our main Rider cast and I'm super excited to see what new suits and Riders continue to be introduced.

Also the new driver being so very different is really cool. I've not been paying attention to news/spoilers while I've not been watching new episodes so it was all a surprise to me. It doesn't seem to interact with the cores or buckles at all so I assume the main cast isn't going to use them.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

Griori hated Ace so much he's gonna get himself kicked out of the game just to gently caress Geats over

Potsticker
Jan 14, 2006

He's doubling down on his bad decisions and I hope whatever truth he's trying to hide that Ace is getting too close to is worth the self-immolation. His suit and driver look super cool so maybe getting to use those is what makes it worth it

Junpei
Oct 4, 2015
Probation
Can't post for 11 years!
Honestly kinda hoping when Tsumuri jumps ship and joins the main characters she gets to use the Vision Driver.

Potsticker
Jan 14, 2006

That would be very cool. Despite her dislike for Ace, she's definitely does not seem on board with what Griori is doing and whatever happened with Mitsume may concern her if she doesn't already know.

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012

Junpei posted:

Honestly kinda hoping when Tsumuri jumps ship and joins the main characters she gets to use the Vision Driver.

I assume all of the DGP people who get to be Riders will use one.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

https://twitter.com/sukkun/status/1602273731334017029?s=46&t=H194aH4WhiX_cKQE38iE5A

Donbrothers will have 50 episodes

Junpei
Oct 4, 2015
Probation
Can't post for 11 years!
On one hand, I'm worried that they won'tbe able to wrap it all up and explain everything satisfactorily. They haven't even shown who the 'final boss' will be!

On the other hand, it would be very on-brand of Donbrothers to just not explain it all and end on the wildest note imaginable. Jiro and Murasame making out. Kijino killing the Crane Beastial. Taro becoming the King of the Noto Realm the Sono trio as his retainers. Haruka turning all of this into a manga that becomes a bestseller.

^This is all me bullshitting profusely, if any of it actually happens I will eat my hat.

Pyroi
Aug 17, 2013

gay elf noises
Donbrothers is going to end with the first proper roll call in the series.

Like, I feel like that's what this has all been building up to. Tsubasa finally joins up with the rest of the team and they do a proper roll call. Or maybe he won't even join up until the crossover movie with the next team, who knows at this point, it's episode 40/50.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

They didn't show the final boss of Zenkaiger until the last episode :smug:

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Restaurant de Nouvelles "À Table" Proudly Presents:
A Climactic Encounter Ending on 1 Negate and a Dream
The thing with donbrothers, even with the haha goofy episodes there's always at least one more bit of actual Story story going on. A moment of character development, setting up a twist or a back stab, someone's backstory or reveal. They're laying it all thread by thread and it genuinely feels like that at any single moment they could pull them tight and choke us to death.

The last few episodes alone we've progressed on or touched on:
the death of Cat Cop and Inuzuka's inevitable issues with that
Sononi and Inu's relationship and the weird jealousy spiral that's lead to Sononi setting up Inu to kill his GF,
Murasame's existence and what he's going to become
Jirou's adoptive parent's deal and their apparent connection to the penguin beastial given Jirou making origami for their party for him
Tarou's imprisoned Dad
Kijino's breakdown and the conflict he's going to face by the end of this assuming the bestials are the end game boss
The continued annoyance of the Cerebran higher ups are the corruption of their Best Troops.
The Don Clan's entire Deal
Haruka's mental block for art and what the others seemingly gave up when they joined.

At any point I could see them just deciding "And now we pull the rug" on most of these. Do it old school sentai where just out of nowhere the final 2-3 eps just have everything happening.

SilentChaz
Oct 5, 2011

Sorry, I'm quite busy at the moment.
https://twitter.com/dawnofthediscs/status/1603131125148401668

Heavy Metal
Sep 1, 2014

America's $1 Funnyman

Hell yeah. I've seen about 7 eps of Black, very stylin'. I've yet to finish one of the retro toku shows, but I'd like to get in that groove sometime. Also it must be fun to write an essay about Kamen Rider Black.

Junpei
Oct 4, 2015
Probation
Can't post for 11 years!
Been thinking about Geats's newest reveals and wondering: How much of the DGP's more mystic or alien properties is actually a part of it, and how much of it is just being put on for aesthetics?

The DGP is being sponsored by at least two big corporations-the one Neon's dad runs, and the one Win's grandfather is.

At the very minimum, it feels like the Jamato isn't like, a genetic experiment went wrong that they're reusing, they do genuinely feel like alien, corpse-eating eldritch beings, more being exploited/used than controlled, especially with Archimedel growing enamored with them to the point that it seems like he's going to pull something.

But like, all of the rest of the stuff-the base platform floating high in the air, the holograms, teleporting, memory control, the granting of wishes... is all of that just the usage of a lot of money and advanced technology?

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Junpei posted:

Been thinking about Geats's newest reveals and wondering: How much of the DGP's more mystic or alien properties is actually a part of it, and how much of it is just being put on for aesthetics?

The DGP is being sponsored by at least two big corporations-the one Neon's dad runs, and the one Win's grandfather is.

At the very minimum, it feels like the Jamato isn't like, a genetic experiment went wrong that they're reusing, they do genuinely feel like alien, corpse-eating eldritch beings, more being exploited/used than controlled, especially with Archimedel growing enamored with them to the point that it seems like he's going to pull something.

But like, all of the rest of the stuff-the base platform floating high in the air, the holograms, teleporting, memory control, the granting of wishes... is all of that just the usage of a lot of money and advanced technology?

Also based on the most recent episode it seems like at least some of the Jamato might be the mutated corpses of dead players

Pyroi
Aug 17, 2013

gay elf noises
Feels like its pretty likely that the Jamato are grown from the corpses of those killed in the DGP, rider or otherwise. Based on thr guy who sent out tbe prize for Geats, it may be a show being put on for the fabulously wealthy. In other words, this season isnt Fortnite....its Squid Game.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

On another note, some rumored info has come out regarding the next series Ultraman Gazer (and it seems the board this came from was right about a lot of Decker stuff):

The Vosgian Beast
Aug 13, 2011

Business is slow
It's weird how little the Baltan appear relative to their fame.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

The idea of the protagonist being an Ultraman fanboy sounds like it could be fun though assuming any of the above is true

GATOS Y VATOS
Aug 22, 2002

The Vosgian Beast posted:

It's weird how little the Baltan appear relative to their fame.

I think it’s a situation where the family of the creator of the Baltan wants money for his appearances. Rumor has it that the Baltan was going to be part of Shin Ultraman in early drafts but Tsuburaya didn’t want to spend the money on the licensing.

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

A little privacy, please?
As I understand it it's a combination of licensing and not wanting to dilute Baltan.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

Isn't Baltan in the Monster Rancher game

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

GATOS Y VATOS posted:

I think it’s a situation where the family of the creator of the Baltan wants money for his appearances. Rumor has it that the Baltan was going to be part of Shin Ultraman in early drafts but Tsuburaya didn’t want to spend the money on the licensing.

What’s the story there out of curiosity? Does Tsuburaya not fully own the rights to that particular monster or something?

M.Matsuda
May 9, 2014

May the Sacred Flame shine forth!

Pyroi posted:

Feels like its pretty likely that the Jamato are grown from the corpses of those killed in the DGP, rider or otherwise. Based on thr guy who sent out tbe prize for Geats, it may be a show being put on for the fabulously wealthy. In other words, this season isnt Fortnite....its Squid Game.

apparently Takahashi mentioned squid game influence in an interview at some point. so you're not wrong

Geostomp
Oct 22, 2008

Unite: MASH!!
~They've got the bad guys on the run!~

Pyroi posted:

That sounds likely. It's the sort of mid-season plot twist to get our four good-guy Riders to rebel against the current format of the series. We are getting pretty close to the traditional transition to the second act of the series.

Geostomp fucked around with this message at 15:41 on Dec 16, 2022

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

I imagine Tsumuri will become a Rider eventually as well, she doesn’t seem too happy about how the Game Master runs things even though she continues to do her job

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018
Women are wonderful animals, they should be making music and writing novels about having a complex relationship with your mother.
https://twitter.com/Shin_KR/status/1603585714330796035?s=20&t=f_hQYr5JUyqHFMHT_qGrug

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ignis
Mar 31, 2011

I take it you don't want my autograph, then.

Sorry Geats, Endless Love was the best Rider of the year

https://www.crunchyroll.com/watch/G50UZP51K/endless-love