Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Deketh
Feb 26, 2006
That's a nice fucking fish
Thanks for the wolf tips. Tend to agree with some of the points about TLD being disappointing; I love the game, but it seems such a massive shame to have missed out on more authentic survival systems/methods that would have elevated it so much further. I guess I really just want Unreal World with TLD graphics/sound.
Fortunately the custom difficulty allows for a more realistic wolf, certainly a less stressful one at any rate. I'm seeing how far I get in story mode before I get bored of it, though. Think this game is more about the survival mode really, I don't mind the story so far but it's ~dramatic~.

Deketh fucked around with this message at 15:05 on Dec 9, 2022

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lemony
Jul 27, 2010

Now With Fresh Citrus Scent!

Deketh posted:

Thanks for the wolf tips. Tend to agree with some of the points about TLD being disappointing; I love the game, but it seems such a massive shame to have missed out on more authentic survival systems/methods that would have elevated it so much further. I guess I really just want Unreal World with TLD graphics/sound.
Fortunately the custom difficulty allows for a more realistic wolf, certainly a less stressful one at any rate. I'm seeing how far I get in story mode before I get bored of it, though. Think this game is more about the survival mode really, I don't mind the story so far but it's ~dramatic~.

For what it's worth, I played through all of the currently released story content before trying out survival. I feel like I probably wouldn't have missed too much if I had just skipped it. I feel a bit bad, there clearly was a lot of work put into the story content and the most recent act or two was clearly impacted by COVID stuff. I really did think some individual things were cool. For instance, in the third episode where you play as Astrid, there's a focus on helping/saving/assisting others. I felt that was thematically neat, Astrid is a doctor who clearly cares more about others than herself. She's the one who was adamant that she wanted to fly into the storm in order to deliver life saving medical care to people. When you play as Mackenzie, you focus on mainly personal survival and finding Astrid. Pretty much any assistance you give people tends to be in service of furthering your personal goals. Astrid helps the crash survivors because it's the right thing to do. That's some good storytelling.

Of course, there are so many holes and weak points in the plot that I literally don't see how anything could be wrapped up satisfactorily in what is supposed to be the last episode of story mode.

Since I've said a bunch of negative stuff about what is pretty much my favourite game in the genre, let me say something positive.

When you hunt rabbits, pretty much the most efficient way of doing it is to stun the rabbit with a thrown rock. Then you dash over, pick it up and snap its neck. Only, when you pick it up you are presented with a little context menu where you either click one mouse button to kill it or one to let it go. You make this choice while the still living rabbit sits in your hands and stares directly at you. On the face of it, this is a redundant and pointless system. You just purposefully stunned this rabbit, why would you ever let it go at this point?

But I love that it exists. Every time you do this to a rabbit in the game, you have to explicitly make the choice to murder it in order to harvest the meat and organs. What's really fantastic is how it works over time. The first few rabbits may actually make you hesitate for a moment, even though you know they aren't real. You might feel a little bad for these poor digital bunnies, but you need to do it so that your character doesn't starve to death or freeze. By the time you've played for a hundred hours you're just clicking straight through that context menu and you barely notice it. "Huh, guess I need to replenish my supply of gut and rabbit pelts. Better go kill a few so I can start the drying process." It is a great way of melding gameplay with theme. Your average person in a survival situation might face the same experience of feeling bad for personally taking animal life to survive, but once they'd had to do it for awhile it would no longer register in the same way.

The game annoys me in so many little ways, but it has all these things that just give such a good vibe that most other survival games don't really nail. The use of a cold weather environment and mix of simultaneous low/high tech is really unique feeling as well.

Deketh
Feb 26, 2006

Lemony posted:

For what it's worth, I played through all of the currently released story content before trying out survival. I feel like I probably wouldn't have missed too much if I had just skipped it. I feel a bit bad, there clearly was a lot of work put into the story content and the most recent act or two was clearly impacted by COVID stuff. I really did think some individual things were cool. For instance, in the third episode where you play as Astrid, there's a focus on helping/saving/assisting others. I felt that was thematically neat, Astrid is a doctor who clearly cares more about others than herself. She's the one who was adamant that she wanted to fly into the storm in order to deliver life saving medical care to people. When you play as Mackenzie, you focus on mainly personal survival and finding Astrid. Pretty much any assistance you give people tends to be in service of furthering your personal goals. Astrid helps the crash survivors because it's the right thing to do. That's some good storytelling.

Of course, there are so many holes and weak points in the plot that I literally don't see how anything could be wrapped up satisfactorily in what is supposed to be the last episode of story mode.

Since I've said a bunch of negative stuff about what is pretty much my favourite game in the genre, let me say something positive.

When you hunt rabbits, pretty much the most efficient way of doing it is to stun the rabbit with a thrown rock. Then you dash over, pick it up and snap its neck. Only, when you pick it up you are presented with a little context menu where you either click one mouse button to kill it or one to let it go. You make this choice while the still living rabbit sits in your hands and stares directly at you. On the face of it, this is a redundant and pointless system. You just purposefully stunned this rabbit, why would you ever let it go at this point?

But I love that it exists. Every time you do this to a rabbit in the game, you have to explicitly make the choice to murder it in order to harvest the meat and organs. What's really fantastic is how it works over time. The first few rabbits may actually make you hesitate for a moment, even though you know they aren't real. You might feel a little bad for these poor digital bunnies, but you need to do it so that your character doesn't starve to death or freeze. By the time you've played for a hundred hours you're just clicking straight through that context menu and you barely notice it. "Huh, guess I need to replenish my supply of gut and rabbit pelts. Better go kill a few so I can start the drying process." It is a great way of melding gameplay with theme. Your average person in a survival situation might face the same experience of feeling bad for personally taking animal life to survive, but once they'd had to do it for awhile it would no longer register in the same way.

The game annoys me in so many little ways, but it has all these things that just give such a good vibe that most other survival games don't really nail. The use of a cold weather environment and mix of simultaneous low/high tech is really unique feeling as well.

Interesting, thanks for your thoughts. I'm thinking of going straight into survival now and scrapping my story playthrough, I don't want to burn myself out on the survival elements while being railroaded (presumably) by the story.

SubponticatePoster
Aug 9, 2004

Every day takes figurin' out all over again how to fuckin' live.
Slippery Tilde

Lemony posted:

Every time you do this to a rabbit in the game, you have to explicitly make the choice to murder it in order to harvest the meat and organs. What's really fantastic is how it works over time. The first few rabbits may actually make you hesitate for a moment, even though you know they aren't real. You might feel a little bad for these poor digital bunnies, but you need to do it so that your character doesn't starve to death or freeze. By the time you've played for a hundred hours you're just clicking straight through that context menu and you barely notice it. "Huh, guess I need to replenish my supply of gut and rabbit pelts. Better go kill a few so I can start the drying process." It is a great way of melding gameplay with theme. Your average person in a survival situation might face the same experience of feeling bad for personally taking animal life to survive, but once they'd had to do it for awhile it would no longer register in the same way.
And those of us who played Don't Starve just broke their little necks because in DS there's no animation or cute bunny to look at, but they make a rather horrid noise when you kill them (also the prompt says "Murder") :v:

Jawnycat
Jul 9, 2015
My biggest complaint about the wildlife in TLD is that wolves somehow understand what aiming a gun at them means, and will instantly charge you from stalking you if you dare aim a gun in their direction. I get it's a gameplay balance thing, but it instantly kills my immersion every drat time. That and the aforementioned overaggressivness and overpopulation of the drat things.

Sentinel
Jan 1, 2009

High Tech
Low Life

Wolves stop being a problem when you realize that when they charge you they always run at you in a straight line. usually right before they make their attack pounce. So you just put an arrow in their dome and call it a day.

Draven
May 6, 2005

friendship is magic

SubponticatePoster posted:

And those of us who played Don't Starve just broke their little necks because in DS there's no animation or cute bunny to look at, but they make a rather horrid noise when you kill them (also the prompt says "Murder") :v:

That scream is forever embedded in my memories.

lordfrikk
Mar 11, 2010

Oh, say it ain't fuckin' so,
you stupid fuck!
The Long Dark: I was looking forward to them working on the Survival mode more, and was looking forward to the DLC but so far the list of features and early reactions seem extremely disappointing but entirely in line with what was said about "some baffling decisions". I know it's EA but a year is honestly not a lot of time, especially if you start out as content-sparse as this IMO.

They've had a survey that I've participated in so I thought maybe the future direction of the game will be improved but it seems that my wishes don't align with the larger fanbase or that the developers are not very good at listening to feedback. Maybe I'm just overreacting :shrug:

Deketh
Feb 26, 2006

lordfrikk posted:

The Long Dark: I was looking forward to them working on the Survival mode more, and was looking forward to the DLC but so far the list of features and early reactions seem extremely disappointing but entirely in line with what was said about "some baffling decisions". I know it's EA but a year is honestly not a lot of time, especially if you start out as content-sparse as this IMO.

They've had a survey that I've participated in so I thought maybe the future direction of the game will be improved but it seems that my wishes don't align with the larger fanbase or that the developers are not very good at listening to feedback. Maybe I'm just overreacting :shrug:

Fair comment, even more so as TLD isn't EA anymore. I was disappointed because I thought all the content was released day one, not dripfed over 8 months or whatever it is. So the immediately available content is very sparse.
I think that the lead developer has a very firm vision for the game and sticks to that quite doggedly, so whether that is ignoring feedback or not I don't know. And that's what this expansion shows - it is basically more of the same. More maps, more items, more effects. But not so much new systems and ways of approaching survival, which is what I believe the game needs. I want more things to do and different ways to do them - I have some ideas that seem obvious for the setting - but it seems like we are just getting more variants of things that are already present. It certainly doesn't feel like enough to breathe life back into the game if you are burned out, unless you get most of your enjoyment from the maps.

Oysters Autobio
Mar 13, 2017
No matter how often I do it, I have to turn away or close my eyes everytime with the rabbits in TLD. I also hate killing the wolves and always feel bad the sound they make when shot so I always avoid killing them unless I absolutely have to. Gotten really soft for animals with getting old.

Meanwhile I'm playing war milsim FPS like it's the COD No Russian map without blinking.

Vib Rib
Jul 23, 2007

God damn this shit is
fuckin' re-dic-a-liss

🍖🍖😛🍖🍖

lordfrikk posted:

Honestly, agree. The overall list of planned content for this DLC isn't really that impressive to begin with, at least not for my interests in the game, and there's very few interesting or transformative things listed. It's mostly just a little more content, some new zones, items. Nothing that really changes how it's played.
If that had been the DLC, I would've been a little disappointed. I'm much more disappointed with them rationing it out for months. But on top of that, it feels like they really didn't lead strong? The first patch, which is meant to be the premier of this new DLC, has... practically nothing. One new area and so little else it's hard to even name. It's beyond thin.

So what's here already is a weak showing and what will be here later isn't that exciting anyway.

Oysters Autobio
Mar 13, 2017
Ugh, just hopped on Steam since the new TLD DLC released and was hoping that finally, at least the specific features of this specific first DLC release would be clearly listed, but I am still confused as to what it is I'm actually getting today if I purchase this expansion pass or DLC or whatever.

The Steam purchase page advertises what the full pass will get you over 12 months, okay fair enough since that's what you're buying, but what I want to know is what is it if I pay right now that I am actually getting?

Even the more detailed page on their website doesn't clearly and transparently list the exact features of this first Part or whatever you call this release. Does anyone have an actual official release list? The Steam News release notes doesn't have anything except a Part One video, but its so full of details about what the whole pass will have that I can't even extract what is exactly available now?

Lemony
Jul 27, 2010

Now With Fresh Citrus Scent!
To add to the giant pile of words I've already written on TLD, here are some things that don't appear to be intended to be in the DLC and that I'm also astonished are not already part of the game:

Snowshoes, both modern and crafted

A thermos, so you can carry hot liquids around

Pencils, because apparently those don't exist on Bear Island and you can only draw with charcoal

Binoculars or a monocular

An analogue wristwatch

A compass, complete with a loving overhaul of their maps so that cardinal directions are actually consistent zone to zone. This one could even have the cool side effect of the compass needle freaking out during aurora events

Hailstorms

Bear spray

Snow blindness, plus snow goggles and ski goggles

Camping stoves, using propane. These would make great rare loot and the presumably limited supply of propane canisters would prevent them from being overpowered

As someone who lives in the frozen north and has done a small amount of outdoors stuff, I frankly don't understand how all of the above wasn't part of the intended original design. Even now I feel like nothing on that list would be too hard to fit into the game.

If I'm getting really crazy:

So many buildings clearly have propane powered appliances. It would be neat if some of these actually worked, at least a until the non renewable propane runs out. Again, the fuel shortages referenced in the game mean that this would never be overpowered, because there wouldn't be enough fuel to last a long time. It could be a nice boost early game though, finding a cabin with a functional heater and stove that lasts for a couple of days.

Snow accumulation from all those blizzards. Add in several versions of snow shovels and the need to actually spend time and calories digging out certain doorways and such.

A complete overhaul of the medical subsystem to actually be a subsystem, instead of something pretending to be a subsystem. I don't want full insane grog mechanics here, but something with a touch more depth would be nice.

Fire temperature that actually checks nearby terrain. By that, I mean that placing a fire next to a rock face will reflect heat out realistically, while one out in the open is going to bleed a ton of excess heat. I'm genuinely shocked that fire and heat don't have more attention given to how they are implemented, given they're a huge part of what makes the game unique. Again, you don't have to get super granular, but more realistic behaviour would be nice. You can even include an in game survival guidebook to help explain how the system works without breaking versimilitude.

Large blizzards that are less frequent, but also much more impactful. Make them progressively more dangerous to be out in, particularly without good gear. Make them last multiple days and generate snow accumulation. Then build the game around a cycle of prepping for storms, then surviving them.

Overhaul wildlife and food consumption. I'd love to see wildlife behave a little more realistically and also be a little less common in most zones (again, I'm no ultra realistic grog here, it's a game and you probably still want to have an unrealistic level of wildlife density+some respawning). You could even make the predators a little more dangerous to compensate. Personally, I'd love to see animals actually be individually tracked entities that move around between zones. Deer might actually move through your current zone, providing you an opportunity to hunt them for meat and pelts but also bringing more predators with them.

Since there would be fewer overall animals in this system, a slightly lower rate of required food consumption would be nice. Even accounting for cold weather calorie burning, you eat a staggering amount of food in TLD in order to not starve. It would be nice if killing a deer was a bigger deal because of how long it will sustain you (again, no need to actually go realistic with it, where a single individual could probably live of a single deer for a long rear end time).

I imagine none of the things I just listed are even possible to program into the game at this point, much less likely to get implemented. A person can dream of their perfect survival game experience though.

TL, DR: A lot of words about how I really love The Long Dark, but also hate it and want to change everything about it.

Vib Rib
Jul 23, 2007

God damn this shit is
fuckin' re-dic-a-liss

🍖🍖😛🍖🍖

Lemony posted:

Since there would be fewer overall animals in this system, a slightly lower rate of required food consumption would be nice. Even accounting for cold weather calorie burning, you eat a staggering amount of food in TLD in order to not starve. It would be nice if killing a deer was a bigger deal because of how long it will sustain you (again, no need to actually go realistic with it, where a single individual could probably live of a single deer for a long rear end time).
The calorie balance of TLD is one of the weirdest things about it, and it's entirely based on gameplay rather than realism, though I feel like even that falls flat pretty often. An entire jar of peanut butter is 1800 calories and won't even fill your stomach. It takes you several 4-pound fish to fill up. A deer's meat might last a few days, rather than the whole season.
I get that it wouldn't make much for balance if you could kill a deer and be set for the next 60 days but I think if they added more mechanics for turning a dead deer into preserved, edible meat, that could kind of make up for a shift in caloric density, at least. I guess it goes against the whole nature of constantly struggling for survival but even just a food slider in the custom options would be welcome.

Firos
Apr 30, 2007

Staying abreast of the latest developments in jam communism

I basically can't play without the long-term calorie counter mod that means you can afford to temporarily starve yourself, but not long term. It's another thing I am rather surprised isn't already in the game tbh.

Spanish Matlock
Sep 6, 2004

If you want to play the I-didn't-know-this-was-a-hippo-bar game with me, that's fine.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ixq-y_r-lkE

Funcom put out a "pre-alpha" trailer of the new Dune game. It might even contain something that resembles what gameplay will one day sort of look like!

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Every second that we're not growing BASIL is a second wasted

Fun Shoe
Crossposting from the recommendation thread. My friend and I have been playing zomboid every couple of weeks all year and I think it’s starting to lose us. I have a gaming pc, mac and ps4. She has a mac and ps4.

Can anyone recommend a coop survival/crafting game that’ll run on a(n) Intel MacBook Pro with integrated graphics (2020 Intel iris plus if it matters)?

We love Project Zomboid and 7 Days to Die, but both of those are pretty tapped out for us. Zombie isn’t a big deal, it’s the survival and crafting and RPG elements that are compelling. I thought Raft sounded perfect, for instance, but Windows only.

PS4 is also a potential platform if there are more options there. Maybe we should give Minecraft another go

VegasGoat
Nov 9, 2011

tuyop posted:

Crossposting from the recommendation thread. My friend and I have been playing zomboid every couple of weeks all year and I think it’s starting to lose us. I have a gaming pc, mac and ps4. She has a mac and ps4.

Can anyone recommend a coop survival/crafting game that’ll run on a(n) Intel MacBook Pro with integrated graphics (2020 Intel iris plus if it matters)?

We love Project Zomboid and 7 Days to Die, but both of those are pretty tapped out for us. Zombie isn’t a big deal, it’s the survival and crafting and RPG elements that are compelling. I thought Raft sounded perfect, for instance, but Windows only.

PS4 is also a potential platform if there are more options there. Maybe we should give Minecraft another go

Maybe Don’t Starve Together which appears to have a MacOS version.

Twenty Four
Dec 21, 2008

Spanish Matlock posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ixq-y_r-lkE

Funcom put out a "pre-alpha" trailer of the new Dune game. It might even contain something that resembles what gameplay will one day sort of look like!

Funcom is making Anarchy Online 2? Yes, I am joking, sort of.

Monstaland
Sep 23, 2003

gently caress my heart jumped for a sec, i would pre-order AO2 in a heartbeat

kedo
Nov 27, 2007

If they were to simply take AO and modernize the controls and make it feel SLIGHTLY less janky, I would pre-order that in a heartbeat as well.

I'll be curious to see what they do with Dune, but I'll be honest: my expectations for a survival MMO are set pretty low since every MMO I've played that has billed itself as "survival" has been "MMO" first and "survival" as a very, very distant second.

Vib Rib
Jul 23, 2007

God damn this shit is
fuckin' re-dic-a-liss

🍖🍖😛🍖🍖
It's been ages, what made AO so worth reviving? I don't remember it being at all survival related so I don't see the Dune comparison here.

kedo
Nov 27, 2007

Oh, it wasn't a survival game at all, it was just a great MMO for its day and I remember it fondly for that.

This is 99.999% rose colored glasses.

SubponticatePoster
Aug 9, 2004

Every day takes figurin' out all over again how to fuckin' live.
Slippery Tilde

tuyop posted:

Off the top of my head, these games are on PS4:

Don't Starve Together
The Forest
Stranded Deep
Green Hell
Grounded
Raft

e: :tipshat:

SubponticatePoster fucked around with this message at 20:46 on Dec 12, 2022

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Fun Shoe

SubponticatePoster posted:

Off the top of my head, these games are on PS4:

Don't Starve Together
The Forest
Stranded Deep
Green Hell
Grounded
Raft

Thank you!

Evil Kit
May 29, 2013

I'm viable ladies.

I fuckin' love Raft, but I'll be the first to admit unless you're playing Hardcore it's less of a survival game and more of a fun resource gathering crafting/building game with some adventure elements to break up the crafting and use your accumulated resources on. Once you're past the early early game food and water are sort of a non-issue except for extended expeditions onto large islands and the various story set pieces.

Still very good game and the one I'd recommend most out of that list imo, especially if you want to zen out. Some of the most gorgeous, if not best, water graphics in any game I've played. And there aren't any zombies!

Grounded gets a close second but even on the Medium difficulty the combat can be pretty brutal even once you get the hang of it. It's also very, very large of a game.

Rynoto
Apr 27, 2009
It doesn't help that I'm fat as fuck, so my face shouldn't be shown off in the first place.
It's the best time to start Grounded as it just got a fantastic QoL update that fixed most of the lingering annoyances with building and inventory management.

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

Rynoto posted:

It's the best time to start Grounded as it just got a fantastic QoL update that fixed most of the lingering annoyances with building and inventory management.

A lot of stuff that would've been nice to have while I was playing through it at launch :sigh:

Kind of a bummer that there's really not much of a reason to go back and do it again for powered ziplines and reworked mutations but god drat would those have helped before.

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Fun Shoe
Grounded isn't on PS4, unfortunately. MS exclusive :(

Oysters Autobio
Mar 13, 2017
Any ever try This Land is My Land?

It's got Mostly Positive reviews on Steam and is on sale for $15CDN and has a cool under+used setting (western / pioneer / settlers) that really would fit well with a sort of open world survival crafting (like a heavily modded RDR2 that's focused on survival with less arcadey combat). Particularly interested to see how they actually reflect some sort of realistic portrayal of Native Americans that's not just cowboy charicatures or white-face Dances with Wolves.

Also that Dune game just looks like an MMO that will have a water and food bar rather than any actual survival game.

A real survival MMO could be cool but inherently a persistent world would end up with sweaty basement lords min-max grinding and turning a gritty and scrappy survival game into a twitch stream PubG / Rust game.

Ultimately same reason why DayZ, Scum and Tarkov all eventually end up sucking beyond early game play. So lame to be barely surviving with a bolt action when a COD MW2 cosplayer in quad NVGs is sprinting around and jumping off a balcony to 360noscope you in the face. Or building these megabase floating fortresses that also happen to cover loot or vehicle respawn areas while you're just happy you got enough sticks to make a lean-to shelter.

Would love to see a survival game like that where the end game still manages to at least stay within the genre but I guess it's really tough to have an non repetitive endgame that is actually different enough to be engaging and worth working towards, but also doesn't completely take you away from actual survival.

HelloSailorSign
Jan 27, 2011

tuyop posted:

Thank you!

Vintage Story would be good to add to that list, especially since I think the intel Macs are handled better OS-wise than the Mx Macs.

Major Isoor
Mar 23, 2011

Oysters Autobio posted:

Oh wow, I just noticed that it's apparently no longer in EA! Has anyone tried it, since release? All I remember seeing is that it looked good, but seemed quite buggy. Is that still the case?

Phigs
Jan 23, 2019

Rynoto posted:

My Grounded crashes every few minutes in multiplayer. It's apparently a somewhat common issue and has been for a very long time. Pretty disappointing.

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

You cheated not only the game, but yourself.
But most of all, you cheated BABA

Oysters Autobio posted:

https://www.vice.com/en/article/m7eq5y/this-land-is-my-land-wants-to-sell-an-indigenous-revenge-fantasy-but-without-any-indigenous-input

quote:

But the game has made itself a poster-child for how Native experiences are appropriated and misrepresented by people who see them as fodder for novel entertainment. This week, the gap between the game's purported sympathies and its developers' processes and behavior was made starkly apparent. 

Developer and publisher Game-Labs, which received the "Best New Release of 2019" Steam award for This Land Is My Land, is mostly known for independent war and naval combat games. The team working on This Land describes itself as a team of four based in Ukraine. A tweet from the game's official account, posted in response to a server and game update on April 7, 2021 also made clear that this team doesn't include any indigenous people.

[...]
There are countless Indigenous creatives trying to tell our stories. This Land could easily have found and involved any of them from the start instead of, by their own admission, drawing from other media depictions of the Native experience—a poisoned well if ever there was one. At the very least, Game-Labs could have listened respectfully to their criticism at any of the many junctures where it was offered, and taken action.

Instead they've done actual harm. Not just with their game itself, but by creating yet another racist online community that, to borrow another loaded but apt metaphor, circled the wagons against criticism from the Indigenous people whose identity they fetishize, consume, and sell for profit. I’ve witnessed actual Indigenous people being silenced and bullied for speaking up and I have no doubt the same will happen to me. This Land might be a game about Indigenous resistance, but as a product it is by and for settler culture.

Game-Labs has not responded to a request for comment.

Spanish Matlock
Sep 6, 2004

If you want to play the I-didn't-know-this-was-a-hippo-bar game with me, that's fine.

Oysters Autobio posted:

It's got Mostly Positive reviews on Steam and is on sale for $15CDN and has a cool under+used setting (western / pioneer / settlers) that really would fit well with a sort of open world survival crafting (like a heavily modded RDR2 that's focused on survival with less arcadey combat). Particularly interested to see how they actually reflect some sort of realistic portrayal of Native Americans that's not just cowboy charicatures or white-face Dances with Wolves.

Also that Dune game just looks like an MMO that will have a water and food bar rather than any actual survival game.

A real survival MMO could be cool but inherently a persistent world would end up with sweaty basement lords min-max grinding and turning a gritty and scrappy survival game into a twitch stream PubG / Rust game.

Ultimately same reason why DayZ, Scum and Tarkov all eventually end up sucking beyond early game play. So lame to be barely surviving with a bolt action when a COD MW2 cosplayer in quad NVGs is sprinting around and jumping off a balcony to 360noscope you in the face. Or building these megabase floating fortresses that also happen to cover loot or vehicle respawn areas while you're just happy you got enough sticks to make a lean-to shelter.

Would love to see a survival game like that where the end game still manages to at least stay within the genre but I guess it's really tough to have an non repetitive endgame that is actually different enough to be engaging and worth working towards, but also doesn't completely take you away from actual survival.

I've said it before but one of the things that survival games have been missing for a while is a persistently threatening set of npcs. Something that makes going outside your base dangerous enough even to high level players that pvp maintains an element of danger even in imbalanced situations.

Rust has a good step toward it with the NPC patrolled safe zones with the vending machines and such.

ARK had a good idea with Scorched Earth with the persistent threat of severe weather.

Ultimately I'm remembering raiding apartments on the goon instance of HateMOO where you had to contend with a significant timer before extremely powerful security robots showed up to kill you. It made the raiding process difficult but not impossible and made a successful raid feel a lot better in the end. Something like that would go a long way toward making survival games interesting again

Kvlt!
May 19, 2012

ive said this before but survival is the stupidest genre a company could make with Dune. You survive on Arrakis via technology mostly. What are you gonna do, "press X to drink your own piss and poo poo recycled from your suit?". I guess squeezing the juices out of your buddy could be a fun gimmick but in the lore it's kinda ceremonial so I don't think it'd work as a gameplay thing. You either have to ignore food/water, or just toss the lore out the window (which will anger Dune nerds like me who will whine about it on old forums)

Spanish Matlock
Sep 6, 2004

Kvlt! posted:

ive said this before but survival is the stupidest genre a company could make with Dune. You survive on Arrakis via technology mostly. What are you gonna do, "press X to drink your own piss and poo poo recycled from your suit?". I guess squeezing the juices out of your buddy could be a fun gimmick but in the lore it's kinda ceremonial so I don't think it'd work as a gameplay thing. You either have to ignore food/water, or just toss the lore out the window (which will anger Dune nerds like me who will whine about it on old forums)

From the trailer it looks a lot more MMOish, as in you're not starting from zero as a naked guy in the desert per se. Seems like maybe the survival part is more about doing a spice mining than punching wolves. Maybe something like that Icarus game with the teleporting bears that no one liked.

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

Full QWOP controls for walking-without-rhythm.

kedo
Nov 27, 2007

I'm going to be real bold and go out on a limb here and say that, upon launch, it's not actually going to be a survival game.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Blowjob Overtime
Apr 6, 2008

Steeeeriiiiiiiiike twooooooo!

Phigs posted:

My Grounded crashes every few minutes in multiplayer. It's apparently a somewhat common issue and has been for a very long time. Pretty disappointing.

In a 3-ish hour session we'll probably have 5-10 drops. One semi-common time is when someone dies and is trying to respawn. It's not usually just random drops. Sometimes when we go to sleep it doesn't play the little video of time passing, then when the next day starts there isn't any sound and we will quit and log back on.

Definitely not ideal. In our experience not a dealbreaker, but ymmv, especially if it's consistently every few minutes. I'm also the host, so it really only affects me directly when it's the no sound bug or I forgot to show as online and have to send a new invite.

Lag is hit or miss, and only one time was bad enough to say gently caress it, this is unplayable.