Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

S.J.
May 19, 2008

Just who the hell do you think we are?

I have never liked the waxy finish I get from the AP stuff

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

WorldIndustries
Dec 21, 2004

IncredibleIgloo posted:

I like Army Painter as a company and all their products, except their base paint line. The color metallics are neat, their wet palette is awesome, their scenery stuff is good, and I have good experience with their spray primer. If they are improving their paint that is great!

me too, their speed paints also do the "contrast method" thing better than citadel or any of the others i've tried. I understand the need to varnish is frustrating but I hope they don't mess with it too much

Siivola
Dec 23, 2012

Bucnasti posted:

Is the canned dip the same as the dropper bottle wash? I assumed (for some reason) it was thicker.

Edit: I just read the whole page it says the dip is an oil based product and takes 24-48hrs to dry, so it' can't be the same as what I get in the droppers.
Yeah it’s just wood stain from the hardware store.

SiKboy
Oct 28, 2007

Oh no!😱

Army painters regular paints are more or less fine. Some of them are trash (all their yellows I've tried) some of them are good (necromancer cloak is a really good just-off-black grey), most of them are okay. A lot of them settle/seperate really badly though, meaning they need a lot of shaking and while I wouldnt warn someone off them, I wouldnt particularly recommend them over any other brand. An agitator (or a vortex mixer) helps their consistency a lot. Their metallics are decent from what I've tried, and their washes are really good.

The improvement they've made recently AFAIK is adding ball bearings to their regular bottles so you dont have to add your own agitators. This was a while back.

The Speedpaints I'm kind of torn on. I like them a lot, and use them a decent amount. You can do some good stuff with them, either using them as a quick one-and-done to get a unit done to a tabletop standard quickly or wet blending with them, using them as a tint or glaze, the usual contrast-style paint stuff but without as much pooling (and so tide marks) as citadel contrast. The reactivation is an issue though. You can work with it (honestly I've got some really nice subtle highlights by highlighting over something painted with speedpaints and the slight reactivation causing the colours to blend) or you can work around it (varnish, or mainly highlight via drybrushing), but the problem is trying to integrate those into your regular workflow for those specific paints when you dont with any of your other paints. Breaks the flow a little, and gets annoying. It seems super inconsistent too, I notice it far more with the red than with their other colours. I painted a figures hair with red speedpaint, and accidently got some on his facemask. Not a big deal, I hadnt painted his mask yet anyway, I'll just cover the whole mask with white and go from there. Literally weeks later I went to paint the white and the speedpaint reactivated giving a pink tone to the white.

So I personally like the current speedpaint line, but I'm not sure I'd recommend them without a big caveat, and probably not to a beginner at all (if you dont have the brush control to mainly put them where you want them you're going to have a hard time fixing mistakes).

According to a video or two I've seen recently they are reformulating the line (and introducing new colours) to reduce reactivation, but they wont be able to eliminate it because its a property of the medium that lets it flow easily and give the speedpaint effect. Who knows when that'll be ready to go though.

Silhouette
Nov 16, 2002

SONIC BOOM!!!

Siivola posted:

Yeah it’s just wood stain from the hardware store.

Yep, AP's original product line was just cans of wood stain with their label on them. They got their start because of the (at the time, new) Dipping method picking up steam among wargamers that wanted to have a fully painted army, hence the company name.

WorldIndustries
Dec 21, 2004

Silhouette posted:

Yep, AP's original product line was just cans of wood stain with their label on them. They got their start because of the (at the time, new) Dipping method picking up steam among wargamers that wanted to have a fully painted army, hence the company name.

I remember a million posts on reddit about how to paint your space hulk genestealers with the DIP (wood stain) technique

Pierzak
Oct 30, 2010

NinjaDebugger posted:

If they reduce or eliminate the reactivation on the speed paints I will be honestly sad, you can do some cool poo poo with that.

Elaborate? I have the full set, a bit concerned but I figured I can fix the reactivation with some varnish if need be and it could help with blending/fixing.

Muir
Sep 27, 2005

that's Doctor Brain to you
Contrast and Xpress Paint don’t need fixing with varnish by the end user, though. Reactivation is a problem.

Bucnasti
Aug 14, 2012

I'll Fetch My Sarcasm Robes

Silhouette posted:

I saw them at Gencon the year they started. Guy was in full on infomercial mode at their booth demoing the dip technique over and over. At the time it seemed like magic.

Star Man
Jun 1, 2008

There's a star maaaaaan
Over the rainbow
Is there a ready-made wash or a recipe to make a wash that has a flow like Tamiya panel liner? And is it possible to make one that is water based?

Pierzak
Oct 30, 2010

Muir posted:

Contrast and Xpress Paint don’t need fixing with varnish by the end user, though. Reactivation is a problem.

That's exactly the problem I was asking about, from what I've seen the most common recommendation is to give the model a light coat of varnish between speedpaints and normal paints, specifically to prevent reactivation.

moths
Aug 25, 2004

I would also still appreciate some danger.

Muir posted:

Contrast absolutely requires varnishing, or it will flake off after handling in play.

Somehow this gets treated as a lesser offense.

Cthulu Carl
Apr 16, 2006

moths posted:

Contrast absolutely requires varnishing, or it will flake off after handling in play.

Somehow this gets treated as a lesser offense.

Gonna guess that's because vanishing any paint job after it's done is considered SOP unlike varnishing in the middle of the paint job like for Speed Paints

EdsTeioh
Oct 23, 2004

PRAY FOR DEATH

Star Man posted:

Is there a ready-made wash or a recipe to make a wash that has a flow like Tamiya panel liner? And is it possible to make one that is water based?

Not really; it NOT being water based is what makes it work. You can mix pigments with lighter fluid and get basically this same effect or just start using enamel washes which is the Real Ultimate Power (to me, anyway).

Bloody Hedgehog
Dec 12, 2003

💥💥🤯💥💥
Gotta nuke something
Vallejo's entire range of Weathering Effects and Washes are all water based.

Inferior to enamel based products in my opinion, but water based washes do exist.

Mistaken For Bacon
Apr 26, 2003

Star Man posted:

And is it possible to make one that is water based?
I haven't tried this specifically because I like my oils and enamels so ymmv, but I've seen a suggestion to flood your recesses with water, wick up the overflow, then touch a loaded brush of wash to the ditch to send a water-based panel line. (Eons of battle 9 minutes in
https://youtu.be/EwEyoO1NBww
)

Mistaken For Bacon fucked around with this message at 15:20 on Dec 12, 2022

EdsTeioh
Oct 23, 2004

PRAY FOR DEATH

Bloody Hedgehog posted:

Vallejo's entire range of Weathering Effects and Washes are all water based.

Inferior to enamel based products in my opinion, but water based washes do exist.

Right, but those don't behave like Tamiya Panel Liner though.

NinjaDebugger
Apr 22, 2008

This is my first attempt at glazing in flesh, my first time trying to approximate rusted metal... it was a lot. I originally tried to do the flesh but I started with a deep purple ended at a yellowish color and it looked like a zombie, which I didn't want, so it got... THE DIP.

Then, while I was painting it, I somehow broke off the handle of his weapon, didn't notice, and couldn't find it, so I had to improvise a replacement. I do not have a lot of bits, so I grafted a spear on and made up story about it, because every miniature is a story.

Sometimes that story is simple. "Spear isn't smashy enough."

Sydney Bottocks
Oct 15, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 23 hours!

Cthulu Carl posted:

Gonna guess that's because vanishing any paint job after it's done is considered SOP unlike varnishing in the middle of the paint job like for Speed Paints

Also I believe GW tells you straight up front that Contrast paints are more "fragile" than regular paints and need to be protected with a varnish after you're done (and as you say it's generally SOP for mini painters anyways, at least for gaming minis); whereas IIRC, Army Painter didn't say anything about Speedpaints having issues with reactivating until enough reviewers brought it up that they had to acknowledge it as a problem.

I'll also mention once more that I most definitely have had Speedpaints reactivate while applying varnish. This has happened regardless of whether I used rattlecan acrylic varnish, airbrushing an acrylic varnish on, or handbrushing acrylic varnish on. This has happened regardless of manufacturer or brand, or whether it's gloss or satin or matte. I've even tried the "mix your paints/varnishes with Speedpaints medium" trick that Dana Howl and others have suggested that's supposed to prevent reactivation, with zero success.

I haven't tried with a non-acrylic varnish (like an enamel-based one), so I have no idea if those are fine, but at this point I'm fine with just sticking to Contrast or using something else, or just using old-school paint methods, and not worrying about AP's Speedpaints. At least not until they've fixed the reactivation issue.

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN
Weirdly enough, I find contrast paint to be way more durable than the Vallejo model colors that I normally use so they feel indestructible. I don't recall if I varnished my gellerpox but I probably should

Pierzak
Oct 30, 2010

Spanish Manlove posted:

more durable than the Vallejo model colors
This isn't even a low bar, this is a line painted on the ground. VMCs paint real nice but rub off if you so much as think about them too hard.

GreenBuckanneer
Sep 15, 2007

One of these days I'll remember to varnish my minis

Bucnasti
Aug 14, 2012

I'll Fetch My Sarcasm Robes
No need to varnish if you never play with your minis!

Lumpy
Apr 26, 2002

La! La! La! Laaaa!

College Slice

Bucnasti posted:

Or if they are still sitting on the sprues! :cry:

S.J.
May 19, 2008

I picked up some Votann, and for the clear canopies, will I run into any problems if I spray them with a clear coat to use as primer for the armor sections? Will that cloud up the canopies too much?

AndyElusive
Jan 7, 2007

Bucnasti posted:

:hmmorks:

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Death is nothing compared to vindication.
Buglord
You can play games with these things??

jesus WEP
Oct 17, 2004

Count Thrashula posted:

You can play games with these things??
games are for children, painting little space dolls is for proper grown ups (not even kidding really)

War and Pieces
Apr 24, 2022

DID NOT VOTE FOR FETTERMAN
what functional adult has enough free time that will t lines up with another functional adult's for any activity let alone tabletop games?

Serperoth
Feb 21, 2013

War and Pieces posted:

what functional adult has enough free time that will t lines up with another functional adult's for any activity let alone tabletop games?

I do my painting at the board game store were my friend works, so while it's not free time...

Yeah I got nothin, we haven't played anything in weeks lol

grassy gnoll
Aug 27, 2006

The pawsting business is tough work.

S.J. posted:

I picked up some Votann, and for the clear canopies, will I run into any problems if I spray them with a clear coat to use as primer for the armor sections? Will that cloud up the canopies too much?

Yes. Don't spray anything on clear plastic if you don't want to change its texture and make it more translucent at best.

I'd mask or brush the frames, depending on how big they are. You can always gently remove mistakes with a toothpick afterward.

My Spirit Otter
Jun 15, 2006

CANADA DOESN'T GET PENS LIKE THIS

SKILCRAFT KREW Reppin' Quality Blind Made American Products. Bitch.

War and Pieces posted:

Theres the trick, dont be functional!

Marx Headroom
May 10, 2007

AT LAST! A show with nonono commercials!
Fallen Rib

grassy gnoll posted:

Yes. Don't spray anything on clear plastic if you don't want to change its texture and make it more translucent at best.

Well, except for Future polish :v: but yeah just mask if you're not sure

S.J.
May 19, 2008

grassy gnoll posted:

I'd mask or brush the frames, depending on how big they are. You can always gently remove mistakes with a toothpick afterward.

Thank you!

Southern Heel
Jul 2, 2004

First miniature for Five Parsecs from Home / Space Weirdos, from manufacturer EM4:

Sard'aykin Officer

I love the RT-style miniatures from them, not sure I'll ever get around to playing a game ever, but they're so cool.

Two Beans
Nov 27, 2003

dabbin' on em
Pillbug
Small starts for getting back into the swing of things. Here's some Brimstone Horrors.

Nebalebadingdong
Jun 30, 2005

i made a video game.
why not give it a try!?
in a hole in the ground there lived a hobbit. not a large, 28mm hole, printed with endless details, nor yet a support covered hole with tons of nubs to clean up: it was a 10mm hole, and that means smol.

tangy yet delightful
Sep 13, 2005

Well that totally rules.

S.J.
May 19, 2008

That green is so loving vibrant holy poo poo

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN

Nebalebadingdong posted:

in a hole in the ground there lived a hobbit. not a large, 28mm hole, printed with endless details, nor yet a support covered hole with tons of nubs to clean up: it was a 10mm hole, and that means smol.

god drat that looks straight out of a cartoon. One of the best illustrative works you've done so far