Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Convex
Aug 19, 2010

Jaeluni Asjil posted:

I posted about the PASS (Citizen) card for voter ID on my fb last night. One of my tory-voting friends commented that she knew nothing about it (requirement for voter ID) and the comment was basically along the lines that I was making it up :) God I hope the tories have shot themselves in the foot with this one.

Tories are more likely to have a driving licence or passport in general though? It'll be an inconvenience but I can't see an election turning due to this, the measure is intentionally one designed to trip up people without the means to afford valid ID

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Mebh posted:

Its all so manufactured. Its got to be a willing agreement to not look at this point. I just hope that by some magic the PLP trip and fall into a well over christmas.

It was very depressing listening to Owen Jones this morning while making breakfast going on about how he thinks Burnham being leader would solve many of labour's issues.

Are they even competent enough to try to do a tory new leader, new party BS? Even though its the same ghouls running it? Does it matter? I think most left of center will absolutely jump at any chance to return to voting Labour.

I think most people just have no concept of societal stewardship, or possibly even that large societal things can be consciously built or destroyed through lack of care. They were born into a system that just was the way it was, and at no point have they engaged with the concept of social change except to notice that it apparently happened at some point and now they have to not say the N word and that's not fair.

They are only capable of engaging with it in superficial terms, like voting for brexit to take back are freedoms like what my dad definitely did on d day and also in the world cup.

To a degree this also applies to people left of center where a lot of them just want something they can feel happy about voting for. Political engagement only exists so that the act of engaging with it can satisfy some personal emotional need, material effects are entirely irrelevant.

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

Sorry I thought you were a landlord when I gave you your old avatar!

Convex posted:

Tories are more likely to have a driving licence or passport in general though? It'll be an inconvenience but I can't see an election turning due to this, the measure is intentionally one designed to trip up people without the means to afford valid ID

I can tell you that in my block of flats where most of the occupants are over 80 years old (and mostly tory voters), very few of them have passport, driving licence, bus pass etc (not living in London, public transport is so dire, they don't use it if they have a car-driving adult child living nearby). They don't need them anymore and haven't bothered renewing them for years. We've had the devil of a game getting adequate ID proofs when signing up signatories to our management bank account.
And yes I do appreciate that the rules are designed to cut out those who are most likely not to vote tory but I think it's going to affect many more tory voters than the govt expects.

Jaeluni Asjil fucked around with this message at 14:24 on Dec 12, 2022

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Also old tory voters are a greatly disproportionate fraction of the voting public. While the move is obviously going to hard disenfranchise a lot of poorer, younger voters, they tend to vote far less often anyway, so there is a lot more room to drop technically-enfranchised-but-unaware old voters.

As has been noted before it's copying tactics from the US without much thought as to the effect, I think.

Convex
Aug 19, 2010
I'll be glad to stand somewhat corrected in that case, but can't help feeling a bit nihilistic regarding the next election.

edit: thinking about it this is because, regardless of Conservative or Labour victory, the tories still win

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Sure, and I doubt labour would revert the law, which gives the right far more time to organize to correct any failure of the policy to disenfranchise the desired demographic in future elections. It is a bad law both in principle and in long term practice, but I think the effect in the immediate term is harder to predict in the specific.

OwlFancier fucked around with this message at 14:40 on Dec 12, 2022

Barry Foster
Dec 24, 2007

What is going wrong with that one (face is longer than it should be)

Convex posted:

I'll be glad to stand somewhat corrected in that case, but can't help feeling a bit nihilistic regarding the next election.

edit: thinking about it this is because, regardless of Conservative or Labour victory, the tories still win

I accepted this in spring 2020, when Keith and co suspended RLB over Nothing, and nothing since has convinced me otherwise (and in fact everything has wound up worse than my worst fears - it will be Labour that finally destroys the NHS, for example)

I've mostly come to terms with it, though it can still sting from time to time. Whatever happens - however the tides of history carry us all - hope must be pursued and found outside the bounds of bourgeois democracy. Labour (the party) is hopeless.

Comrade Fakename
Feb 13, 2012

https://twitter.com/_PeterHunt/status/1602291034947477504

Looks like the press might have to acknowledge the country's worst kept secret soon.

Runcible Cat
May 28, 2007

Ignoring this post

OwlFancier posted:

Why think about long term goals when there is some new very important social panic to get annoyed about.

It's all this woke snow! I blame the cancellati!

Mega Comrade
Apr 22, 2004

Listen buddy, we all got problems!

Comrade Fakename posted:

https://twitter.com/_PeterHunt/status/1602291034947477504

Looks like the press might have to acknowledge the country's worst kept secret soon.

You're gonna have to narrow down which one you mean.

keep punching joe
Jan 22, 2006

Die Satan!
Big wills getting pegged by that one goons boss.

Fumble
Sep 4, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 16 days!

Mega Comrade posted:

Nice try narc.

Reveilled
Apr 19, 2007

Take up your rifles

Mega Comrade posted:

Salacious internet version: William cheated on Kate cause she wouldn't do him up the bum, so he gets the Marchioness of Cholmondeley to peg him instead.

Possibly factual version: William cheated on Kate, it destroyed the relationship between William and Harry because Harry sees his dad's infidelity as the originating incident in the chain of causation that led to their mum's death. The deterioration in their relationship got falsely blamed on Megan, and that made things worse because now Harry's wife was getting the blame for causing conflict when it was actually the future King having an affair.

Biggus Dickus
May 18, 2005

Roadies know where to focus the spotlight.

Sir Sidney Poitier posted:

This is my first winter in a detached house as opposed to a maisonette and I didn't realise how cold it would be downstairs regardless of what the heating is set to.

This is the first winter we've had the air-source heat pump working correctly (botched install, yay). The outside fan unit has been running every time I've been out there and the condensation from it has formed its own little ice rink. poo poo's working, though.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

If you want your gf to peg you you should sort that out before you get married. Honestly these royals are loving useless.

Unkempt
May 24, 2003

...perfect spiral, scientists are still figuring it out...

keep punching joe posted:

This country falls apart at the slightest change in weather from standard dreary drizzle. What a poo poo hole.

Has the UK ever worked or has it just been in a downward spiral since the 70s?

'There's no such thing as society!' exclaimed Thatcher, and she and her heirs have been gleefully destroying any trace of it since then.

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

:discourse:
It's what's for dinner.

OwlFancier posted:

If you want your gf to peg you you should sort that out before you get married. Honestly these royals are loving useless.

🎶 If you liked it then you shoulda put your ring on it

Just Another Lurker
May 1, 2009

OwlFancier posted:

First worthy gf to peg the prince gets the crown.... how difficult can it be? :shrug:

The Question IRL
Jun 8, 2013

Only two contestants left! Here is Doom's chance for revenge...

Isn't another big part of all this was that William wasn't cheating just the once.
That with at least one affair he caught feelings, which was a big no-no.
So now he is just doing some emotionless pegging to fill out his days.

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018
I never thought Kate and William were particularly suited to each other - like trying to put a square peg into a round hole

Reveilled
Apr 19, 2007

Take up your rifles

Just Another Lurker posted:

First worthy gf to peg the prince gets the crown.... how difficult can it be? :shrug:

Ah, the classic fairy tale, the Princess and the Peg

Mega Comrade
Apr 22, 2004

Listen buddy, we all got problems!

Reveilled posted:

Salacious internet version: William cheated on Kate cause she wouldn't do him up the bum, so he gets the Marchioness of Cholmondeley to peg him instead.

Possibly factual version: William cheated on Kate, it destroyed the relationship between William and Harry because Harry sees his dad's infidelity as the originating incident in the chain of causation that led to their mum's death. The deterioration in their relationship got falsely blamed on Megan, and that made things worse because now Harry's wife was getting the blame for causing conflict when it was actually the future King having an affair.

Oh, boring. Got me all excited for something juicy . I guess a lot of old ladies will be deeply upset but other that :shrug:

History Comes Inside!
Nov 20, 2004

Wasn’t there some big thing about Kate making it her life’s ambition to marry him before they ever even met because like all members of the upper classes she’s a power hungry nutter?

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
She can't be that power hungry if she won't strap on a rubber cock for a title, at least two PMs hosed a pig just to join a dinner club.

SixFigureSandwich
Oct 30, 2004
Exciting Lemon
strong 'please also blame the lib dems' energy here

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

SixFigureSandwich posted:

strong 'please also blame the lib dems' energy here
They do make it easy to blame them tho
https://twitter.com/mlanetrain/status/1556381583585804291

Convex
Aug 19, 2010
Victor Lewis-Smith, writer and broadcaster, dies at 65

quote:

Lewis-Smith’s final television production, Hitler’s Jazz Band, is due be broadcast by Sky Arts on Wednesday. It tells the story of Karl Schweidler, the frontman of a swing band created by the Nazis despite their ban on jazz.

:rip:

Dogatron
Jun 24, 2020
Just a bit of drive by strike fund fund raising.

https://action.rcn.org.uk/page/117402/donate/1

Donate if you have the inclination and funds. If not, smile at a nurse or toot your horn if you drive by a hospital on the 15th.

Going to find an appropriate comments section on the Daily Mail site and post that link for a giggle. Hopefully it will cause a stroke or two, the odd infarct and multiple attacks of angina.

Pistol_Pete
Sep 15, 2007

Oven Wrangler
Who will compile It's a Funny Old World in Private Eye now?

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Pistol_Pete posted:

Who will compile It's a Funny Old World in Private Eye now?

Anyone can read Fortean Times.

Bobby Deluxe
May 9, 2004

Jaeluni Asjil posted:

I posted about the PASS (Citizen) card for voter ID on my fb last night. One of my tory-voting friends roughly my age commented that she knew nothing about it (requirement for voter ID) and the comment was basically along the lines that I was making it up :) God I hope the tories have shot themselves in the foot with this one (even if it's just old dears peddling up to the polling station without whatever photo ID they might have because they don't realize they need it).
Even if you conclusively prove that the law exist, she probably imagines she's going to turn up and argue with the little people until they're forced to let her vote. Basic "Ah yes, but the rules can't apply to me" tory thinking.

sebzilla
Mar 17, 2009

Kid's blasting everything in sight with that new-fangled musket.

Lovely card

https://twitter.com/ScotGovFM/status/1602266391138148361?s=20&t=lqs7I44WDc02lJogY-OMtA

History Comes Inside!
Nov 20, 2004

Edit: should have zoomed in more. Perfect.

josh04
Oct 19, 2008

"THE FLASH IS THE REASON
TO RACE TO THE THEATRES"

This title contains sponsored content.

Silly kids, the ring goes on the ring finger.

Noxville
Dec 7, 2003

Ring is on the wrong finger

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
Half the comments are terf bullshit as usual.

.cx not gender

smellmycheese
Feb 1, 2016

Lmao

Angepain
Jul 13, 2012

what keeps happening to my clothes
people complain that changing your pronouns is denying material reality but a place in glasgow calls itself "sunnyside" and nobody bats an eye

keep punching joe
Jan 22, 2006

Die Satan!
terfs are hosed up people

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Camrath
Mar 19, 2004

The UKMT Fudge Baron

History Comes Inside! posted:

Wasn’t there some big thing about Kate making it her life’s ambition to marry him before they ever even met because like all members of the upper classes she’s a power hungry nutter?

Can confirm. My little brother went to school with her (and made out with her at least once) and apparently she was ‘target fixated’ even as a mid-teen.

Edit: she’s also upper-middle class, rather than upper class.