Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

holtemon
May 2, 2019

Dancing is forbidden

We will never forget

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cartoon Man
Jan 31, 2004

Road of Death in Bolivia:

https://i.imgur.com/EKKlb6v.mp4

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

Please don't forget that I am an extremely racist idiot who also has terrible opinions about the Culture series.

His Divine Shadow posted:

Otherwise it was a pretty Baxter novel, cool on concepts, boring in execution. I enjoyed the parts between chapters where it had entire civilizations and lifeforms exist in the first planck lengths of the big bang like before inflation I think, and then had similar things happened each time the universe reached another phase, like quark based lifeforms but before nucleosynthesis. It was a real head twister. I think it's some of the whackiest but coolest concepts I've ever read.

You should check out Greg Egan. He's got things like:

1. Aliens build a quarantine bubble around the solar system because wavefunction collapse is indeed caused by observation but it's only *human* observation that counts and the other things that live in the rest of the universe don't like us observing them.
2. A four-dimensional universe, like ours, except instead of three spacial and one time dimension there are two spacial and two time dimension. Be careful not to trip and fall over.
3. Whoops, our research experiment triggered false-vacuum decay (I think Baxter did this too, but I haven't read that one).
4. Another universe where light has rest mass, and plants make food by emitting their own light.
5. 5-dimensional universes where no stable orbits exist anywhere. Reading this is the closest I've ever been able to get to visualizing higher dimensions.

Like Baxter, not so much in the way of characters, or sometimes even plot, but very cool if you're in the right mood.

Jack-Off Lantern
Mar 2, 2012

I guess you die pretty fast and possibly painless from passing out from fear

StormDrain
May 22, 2003

Thirteen Letter

Wherever that road leads, I don't need to go to.

Blue Footed Booby
Oct 4, 2006

got those happy feet

Phanatic posted:

You should check out Greg Egan. He's got things like:

1. Aliens build a quarantine bubble around the solar system because wavefunction collapse is indeed caused by observation but it's only *human* observation that counts and the other things that live in the rest of the universe don't like us observing them.
2. A four-dimensional universe, like ours, except instead of three spacial and one time dimension there are two spacial and two time dimension. Be careful not to trip and fall over.
3. Whoops, our research experiment triggered false-vacuum decay (I think Baxter did this too, but I haven't read that one).
4. Another universe where light has rest mass, and plants make food by emitting their own light.
5. 5-dimensional universes where no stable orbits exist anywhere. Reading this is the closest I've ever been able to get to visualizing higher dimensions.

Like Baxter, not so much in the way of characters, or sometimes even plot, but very cool if you're in the right mood.

If I were on the hunt for Christmas presents and were to pick up one Egan book, which should it be?

piL
Sep 20, 2007
(__|\\\\)
Taco Defender

Slugworth posted:

Sad to see the beheading machine I invented used for simple agricultural tasks, but what can you do?

:nws: :nms: (fictional graphic violence) Caligula, is that you?

Lobsterboy
Aug 18, 2003

start smoking (what's up, gold?)

my favorite part is the guy yelling not to pump the brakes, a thing you havent had to do ever since they released anti-lock brakes designed to do it themselves.

and then they get mad at the black van for sliding straight into a post when they are telling them to pump ABS on an untreated road lol

Propaganda Hour
Aug 25, 2008

after editing wikipedia as a joke for 16 years, i ve convinced myself that homer simpson's japanese name translates to the "The beer goblin"

Deteriorata posted:

Preheating the gas increases the efficiency. Brilliant design!

My hot water heater also comes with a turbocharger and intercooler

Eschatos
Apr 10, 2013

pictured: Big Cum's Most Monstrous Ambassador

Bad Munki posted:

That sounds fun, how's the writing? Worth diving in to? Always looking for some new sci-fantasy poo poo.

Baxter is great if you have any interest in hard sci fi. I'd say start with Vacuum Diagrams - it's a short story collection, a lot of which got expanded into full fledged novels.

Cartoon Man
Jan 31, 2004

https://i.imgur.com/F013N9w.mp4

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

Please don't forget that I am an extremely racist idiot who also has terrible opinions about the Culture series.

Blue Footed Booby posted:

If I were on the hunt for Christmas presents and were to pick up one Egan book, which should it be?

Well those five I mentioned are

1. Quarantine. Of those that I've read, this is his most conventional in terms of plot, protagonist is a private investigator hired to investigate this woman who keeps vanishing from a psychiatric institute.
2. Dichronauts. I haven't read this one yet but it basically looks like a riff on Flatland, invoking aliens living on the surface of a hyperbolic world in this 2-space/2-time dimension universe to explain what that would all look and behave like.
3. Schild's Ladder. Starts out talking about a made-up version of loop quantum gravity, goes from there. This is the one I've read that I think is the least grounded; while his other books start talking about an actual real mathematical construct and presenting the valid physical implications of that, this one just makes up pretty much everything.
4. Orthogonal (trilogy). Haven't read this one either. Kind of like Dichronauts except instead of the dimensions being two space and two time there's no non-local difference between the four and which ones you perceive as spacelike and which ones you perceive as being timelike depend on your own motion. This is next on my list.
5. Diaspora. Basically, whoops, a blind spot in fundamental physics leads humanity to miss that this neutron star exploded and the wave front is going to hit Earth in four days and wipe away most of the atmosphere. You've got uploaded humans living in silicon and humans still living embodied in meatsacks and AIs living in robots all figuring out what to do about this problem.

There's also Incandesence (wouldn't recommend), Permutation City (nature of consciousness, would recommend), and I haven't read the others. Of the ones I have read, I'd say Quarantine's the most accessible and Diaspora is the most "Whoa."

emf
Aug 1, 2002

Something similar was posted earlier in the thread:
My comment remains the same:

emf posted:

It's kind-of like an old lion taming act: there's that small probability that as you watch it the show will morph suddenly into a phantasmagoria of twirling viscera and spraying blood.

Pretty OSHA, I'd say.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

I was expecting this to be full of wasp nests or something

Blue Footed Booby
Oct 4, 2006

got those happy feet

Phanatic posted:

Well those five I mentioned are

1. Quarantine. Of those that I've read, this is his most conventional in terms of plot, protagonist is a private investigator hired to investigate this woman who keeps vanishing from a psychiatric institute.
2. Dichronauts. I haven't read this one yet but it basically looks like a riff on Flatland, invoking aliens living on the surface of a hyperbolic world in this 2-space/2-time dimension universe to explain what that would all look and behave like.
3. Schild's Ladder. Starts out talking about a made-up version of loop quantum gravity, goes from there. This is the one I've read that I think is the least grounded; while his other books start talking about an actual real mathematical construct and presenting the valid physical implications of that, this one just makes up pretty much everything.
4. Orthogonal (trilogy). Haven't read this one either. Kind of like Dichronauts except instead of the dimensions being two space and two time there's no non-local difference between the four and which ones you perceive as spacelike and which ones you perceive as being timelike depend on your own motion. This is next on my list.
5. Diaspora. Basically, whoops, a blind spot in fundamental physics leads humanity to miss that this neutron star exploded and the wave front is going to hit Earth in four days and wipe away most of the atmosphere. You've got uploaded humans living in silicon and humans still living embodied in meatsacks and AIs living in robots all figuring out what to do about this problem.

There's also Incandesence (wouldn't recommend), Permutation City (nature of consciousness, would recommend), and I haven't read the others. Of the ones I have read, I'd say Quarantine's the most accessible and Diaspora is the most "Whoa."

:patriot:

Mr. Fall Down Terror
Jan 24, 2018

by Fluffdaddy
https://i.imgur.com/wb10fGt.mp4

Push El Burrito
May 9, 2006

Soiled Meat

ekuNNN
Nov 27, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Thanks for the sci-fi recommendations, I put a bunch on my wishlist. I really enjoyed the Baxter/Pratchett Long Earth series before.

türkiye.mp4
https://va.media.tumblr.com/tumblr_rmq40rwwNA1qejbir.mp4

deoju
Jul 11, 2004

All the pieces matter.
Nap Ghost
Idiot cops should have left this to the fire department. They would have known better.

Humbug Scoolbus
Apr 25, 2008

The scarlet letter was her passport into regions where other women dared not tread. Shame, Despair, Solitude! These had been her teachers, stern and wild ones, and they had made her strong, but taught her much amiss.
Clapping Larry

ekuNNN posted:

Thanks for the sci-fi recommendations, I put a bunch on my wishlist. I really enjoyed the Baxter/Pratchett Long Earth series before.

türkiye.mp4
https://va.media.tumblr.com/tumblr_rmq40rwwNA1qejbir.mp4

Tuna Skimmer

ekuNNN
Nov 27, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
https://va.media.tumblr.com/tumblr_rmj82gyT3s1qigfjt.mp4

https://va.media.tumblr.com/tumblr_rmqhit9kB81qigfjt.mp4

https://va.media.tumblr.com/tumblr_rml1xbvKv21r0uzl6.mp4

Costco Meatballs
Oct 21, 2022

by Pragmatica

lmao and this is a commercial 2 way road

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RsuUvjMxTXg

Entropic
Feb 21, 2007

patriarchy sucks

Blue Footed Booby posted:

His short story collections are all great, particularly Axiomatic and Luminous, of his novels I really liked Diaspora and Quarantine, though I haven’t really kept up with his recent stuff.

Axiomatic is probably the best starting point IMHO if it’s still in print.

Zopotantor
Feb 24, 2013

...und ist er drin dann lassen wir ihn niemals wieder raus...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S328nyn8Dc8&t=180s

Harry_Potato
May 21, 2021

LEGOLAS: There is a foul voice on the air

GANDALF: It's Saruman!

ekuNNN
Nov 27, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
https://va.media.tumblr.com/tumblr_rms8nd9qDl1qigfjt.mp4

Pham Nuwen
Oct 30, 2010

Harry_Potato posted:

LEGOLAS: There is a foul voice on the air

GANDALF: It's Saruman!

:viggo: Fell voice

Kith
Sep 17, 2009

You never learn anything
by doing it right.

Kith
Sep 17, 2009

You never learn anything
by doing it right.

https://i.imgur.com/8hGWxNd.mp4

piL
Sep 20, 2007
(__|\\\\)
Taco Defender

Costco Meatballs posted:

lmao and this is a commercial 2 way road

I see at least three ways it can go.

Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009

Mulla on aina kolkyt donaa taskussa

piL posted:

I see at least three ways it can go.

Off ramps aren't counted as lanes, usually.

Thomamelas
Mar 11, 2009

Texas A&M campus police?

LifeSunDeath
Jan 4, 2007

still gay rights and smoke weed every day

Thomamelas posted:

Texas A&M campus police?

dark, but accurate

hook em horns LOL

bertolt rekt
Jul 30, 2007

The guy driving this Brussel sprout harvester must be really short

Pham Nuwen
Oct 30, 2010

bertolt rekt posted:

The guy driving this Brussel sprout harvester must be really short

this poster has definitely seen a brussels sprout plant

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

You mess with the crabbo...

Pham Nuwen posted:

this poster has definitely seen a brussels sprout plant

The first time I saw those, it felt like a joke the locals put together to fool gullible tourists and laugh at them behind their backs

Paper Tiger
Jun 17, 2007

🖨️🐯torn apart by idle hands

Captain Hygiene posted:

The first time I saw those, it felt like a joke the locals put together to fool gullible tourists and laugh at them behind their backs

I felt the same way when I first saw an asparagus plant, I was like "my dude, you clearly just stuck an asparagus spear in the ground to mess with me, now show me the asparagus bush"

Also, it's messed up that pineapples don't grow on trees

Entropic
Feb 21, 2007

patriarchy sucks

Paper Tiger posted:

I felt the same way when I first saw an asparagus plant, I was like "my dude, you clearly just stuck an asparagus spear in the ground to mess with me, now show me the asparagus bush"

Also, it's messed up that pineapples don't grow on trees

Pineapple plants are pretty high up on the "wait, it can't just grow like THAT" scale

The stem on top isn't even actually a stem.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pham Nuwen
Oct 30, 2010

Entropic posted:

Pineapple plants are pretty high up on the "wait, it can't just grow like THAT" scale

The stem on top isn't even actually a stem.

It's not a stem until after you eat the pineapple and plant the top. Then it becomes a stem.