Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Yes, I know I'm old, get off my fucking lawn so I can yell at these clouds.

What happens with the writ houses if you let the rent lapse? I assume your poo poo gets bundled into escrow like the normal ones but do you need to buy writs again to get it back?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HPanda
Sep 5, 2008

Cyrano4747 posted:

What happens with the writ houses if you let the rent lapse? I assume your poo poo gets bundled into escrow like the normal ones but do you need to buy writs again to get it back?

I can't seem to find a definitive answer for this one. You do lose the house, and you do get some writs back, but some people said they got them all back, some people say they got a partial refund. So not sure on exact rules.

I think it's something like 120 days from not giving rent that you lose the house, and you can pay way in advance. Not sure how much in advance, but some amount in advance.

Natsuumi
Jun 13, 2003

Natsuumi's gone.
I'm Cherlene now.

I hadn't seen anyone mention it, but if you're a subscriber you don't pay any rent upkeep on premium houses.

edit: at 50% off housing writs I couldn't not get one finally

Feel free to visit my lsd barn :horsedrugs:

Natsuumi fucked around with this message at 01:27 on Nov 25, 2022

gnoma
Feb 7, 2005

These poles made from wood, and the crossarms from iron.
The Travel to Premium House skill has a 1 minute cooldown and gives you quick access to a stablemaster with a lot of swift travel options, which can be nice.

Also, when I let mine lapse I got back 5 writs out of the 6 that it cost.

gnoma fucked around with this message at 19:42 on Nov 25, 2022

ILL Machina
Mar 25, 2004

:italy: Glory to Italia! :italy:

Ayy!! This text is-a the color of marinara! Ohhhh!! Dat's amore!!

gnoma posted:

The Travel to Premium House skill has a 1 minute cooldown and gives you quick access to a stablemaster with a lot of swift travel options, which can be nice.

Also, when I let mine lapse I got back 5 writs out of the 6 that it cost.

Yes but you get that stable guy in regular neighborhood too, though I think the travel skill is on a longer cooldown.

HPanda
Sep 5, 2008

ILL Machina posted:

Yes but you get that stable guy in regular neighborhood too, though I think the travel skill is on a longer cooldown.

Yup, 1 hour cooldown. Still very good, but there are a few sections in the game where being able to jump back to long-range stables every few minutes is quite handy, especially during festivals involving the Party Tree.

ILL Machina
Mar 25, 2004

HPanda posted:

Yup, 1 hour cooldown. Still very good, but there are a few sections in the game where being able to jump back to long-range stables every few minutes is quite handy, especially during festivals involving the Party Tree.

For what it's worth, you also get a travel power to the kin hall and can get one to a kinmates primary residence. My buddy moved in down the street from me so I get two per hour to the shire and one to our kin hall. On top of being a warden...

holtemon
May 2, 2019

Dancing is forbidden
Took an unexpected 4 year hiatus and I'm excited to finally get back into it. Between Rings of Power (I liked it so whatever), rereading the Silmarillion, Hobbit and now working on the trilogy, I wanna redo the epic book storyline from the beginning and get back into Middle earth.

Bought the new expansions and stuff while they were on sale yesterday so I got a 130 and a 120 boost for some new guys that I can cap out pretty quick and then power through the epic book story.

All my other chars are from the lvl 100 cap era so that will be fun trying to get them up to speed lol. Missions are pretty awesome for that though so it shouldn't be too much trouble. It was wild logging back in for the first time comparing my decked out 100 Guardian to a 140 Guardian with 10x the HP and stats like drat guys what is going on out there in Gundabad

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Where do you buy premium housing writs?

JFC they really need to overhaul their store(s). How the gently caress can it be this complicated to figure out how to give a mmo money?

Natsuumi
Jun 13, 2003

Natsuumi's gone.
I'm Cherlene now.

Cyrano4747 posted:

Where do you buy premium housing writs?

JFC they really need to overhaul their store(s). How the gently caress can it be this complicated to figure out how to give a mmo money?

Under Cosmetic -> Housing -> Writs, or just do 'writ' in the search box.

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Natsuumi posted:

Under Cosmetic -> Housing -> Writs, or just do 'writ' in the search box.

Is it bugged or down or something? It's showing "no items" for me.

Natsuumi
Jun 13, 2003

Natsuumi's gone.
I'm Cherlene now.

:shrug:

WarpDogs
May 1, 2009

I'm just a normal, functioning member of the human race, and there's no way anyone can prove otherwise.
make sure you're first logged into a character that can purchase a house (level 15+) before opening the store

Burnt Poffin
Oct 10, 2012
Last night I couldn't look at anything housing related, including the sale, on the store. However, it worked just fine today.

You can go straight to Writs if you click on a For Sale sign in front of whatever plot you want to buy if you click on the Writs button at the bottom of the info sign. Maybe that'll help if you can't see writs normally.

Elblanco
May 26, 2008
Is vip worth grabbing for the newest expansion? I haven't played much but the new starter zones look fun.

Natsuumi
Jun 13, 2003

Natsuumi's gone.
I'm Cherlene now.

Elblanco posted:

Is vip worth grabbing for the newest expansion? I haven't played much but the new starter zones look fun.

The new zones are very fun, good story (alternate epic books 1-3), and beautifully made, but isn't a part of vip. Still worth it though.

WarpDogs
May 1, 2009

I'm just a normal, functioning member of the human race, and there's no way anyone can prove otherwise.
Brawler is finally 50% off

also yule stuff is fun

ILL Machina
Mar 25, 2004

Shared storage is on sale too, which is always a nice pickup, esp after the very first buy that is like 2x normal.

OhFunny
Jun 26, 2013

EXTREMELY PISSED AT THE DNC
There's no way to hide or resize the questing box on the map screen without also hiding the quest markers right?

I ask because them bumping the size to account for increase of tracked quests has made it cover even more of the map and it feels in the way.

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

OhFunny posted:

There's no way to hide or resize the questing box on the map screen without also hiding the quest markers right?

I ask because them bumping the size to account for increase of tracked quests has made it cover even more of the map and it feels in the way.

That thing's always felt in the way. All the various maps always have a different quadrant that's dead space where you can put it, which means constantly shuffling it here and there as you move around.

Not the worst UI crime a 00's era MMO has committed, but still annoying.

CobiWann
Oct 21, 2009

Have fun!
I haven't played since Isengard. If I were to come back and pay for VIP, I'd still have to pay for the two latest expansions (Gundabad and Shadow), right?

ILL Machina
Mar 25, 2004

CobiWann posted:

I haven't played since Isengard. If I were to come back and pay for VIP, I'd still have to pay for the two latest expansions (Gundabad and Shadow), right?

I think so. They were both on sale recently and there were some handouts when they f2p'd for the anniversary

Pryce
May 21, 2011

CobiWann posted:

Expansions that you still have to purchase are here (everything else is folded into VIP, I think):
https://www.lotro.com/expansions#PreviousExpansions
  • Mordor
  • Minas Morgul
  • War of Three Peaks
  • Fate of Gundabad
  • Before the Shadow

OhFunny
Jun 26, 2013

Pryce posted:

Expansions that you still have to purchase are here (everything else is folded into VIP, I think):
https://www.lotro.com/expansions#PreviousExpansions
  • Mordor
  • Minas Morgul
  • War of Three Peaks
  • Fate of Gundabad
  • Before the Shadow

While they can still be purchased. Mordor, Minas Morgul, and War of Three Peaks come with VIP now.

Demon Of The Fall
May 1, 2004

Nap Ghost
buying at least a month of VIP if you wanna put any time in this game is a no brainer

WarpDogs
May 1, 2009

yeah and it's $30 for 3 months which imo is the absolute perfect price point and length of time for scratching an MMO itch

Pryce
May 21, 2011

OhFunny posted:

While they can still be purchased. Mordor, Minas Morgul, and War of Three Peaks come with VIP now.

Oh god I'm so angry that I fell for the Black Friday sales now.

Howard Beale
Feb 22, 2001

It's like this, Peanut
Came back to the game after years and years away and found I had 12K lotro funbux in my account. I'm not sure where they came from cause I don't do large buy-ins, but I'm having a lot of fun with doing the Archet newbie story with a hobbit brawler now.

Burnt Poffin
Oct 10, 2012
I'm also running a new Hobbit Brawler after they had the half-price sale on Brawlers. Since I already finished Before the Shadow on a new Captain character, I did the Archet stuff and, boy, the Brawler seems to hit ridiculously hard compared to other classes. Add in the ability to get your mount at level 1 (well, if you have a store-mount, at least), and can ride around the tutorial zone with it, I finished Archet in short-order, then went around the Shire just punching everything to collect Deeds. :)

OhFunny
Jun 26, 2013

I've finished the Epic Quests that were added when Mines of Moria were launched.

I had good time overall and I think Moria is the best underground zone I've seen in the MMO. Although I have two complaints.

The first was the required Skirmish instances on the Epic Quest line. I had ignored this feature and when I got to the first of the required three; I had to backtrack to a different outpost to run through the intro tutorial. It would have been better to make this mandatory at some point while questing through Bree or place a skirmish camp in the area where we are first sent to to do it in Moria.

The second is the questing in the Lothlórien zone. The zone quests here felt really repetitive since it was much more notable that you're being sent back to the same four areas where the Orcs are.

ILL Machina
Mar 25, 2004

Yeah it's pretty annoying. At least they made the session runs optional.

I'm just now in the same spot you are, grinding epic and bingo quests. For what it's worth, they do kinda spam you with the skirmish intro quest in Bree when skirms become available, but they really should say the story quests require it, or like you said, make it easy to finish the intro quest elsewhere.

I'm feeling lucky that I got enough levels from the seasonal and my moria runs that I don't feel obligated to do the non epics in lorien. It's a bit of a drag and I'm pretty scared for the Rohan push, but at least the class trait points aren't bound to those deeds anymore.

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.
The skirmish stuff for the Moria epic quests came later after SoM was introduced (and with it the skirmish system). I forget what they were before being skirmishes though. Just a similar instance but more bare-bones?

gyrf
Aug 14, 2010
Before they were made into skirmishes, they were pretty standard level 59 fellowship instances.

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

God damn it, you've got to be kind.
Since I do alot of walking when I read about an app that allows you to tally up your mileage against real world distances it caught my interest. For instance you can take a challenge to put in enough miles to walk the length of England.

But then I saw that they had Lord of the Rings challenges, with the first beginning in the Shire so I decided I had to give it a go. My watch and phone already track my steps from walking and running but now they'll be transposed against Frodo's path starting at Bag End.

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Dick Trauma posted:

Since I do alot of walking when I read about an app that allows you to tally up your mileage against real world distances it caught my interest. For instance you can take a challenge to put in enough miles to walk the length of England.

But then I saw that they had Lord of the Rings challenges, with the first beginning in the Shire so I decided I had to give it a go. My watch and phone already track my steps from walking and running but now they'll be transposed against Frodo's path starting at Bag End.

what's the app?

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

God damn it, you've got to be kind.
The Conqueror, but don't go thinking that you can simply walk into Mordor.

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Dick Trauma posted:

The Conqueror, but don't go thinking that you can simply walk into Mordor.

Yikes, $50.

Really cool idea, would have been game for even $10 or something but not that much.

Kaysette
Jan 5, 2009

~*Boston makes me*~
~*feel good*~

:wrongcity:
hmm yeah i'll just keep using strava and pretend i'm strider chasing down some uruks

Comrade Koba
Jul 2, 2007

There’s a free app called Fantasy Hike that does the same thing, except for what’s probably IP reasons it doesn’t use the actual Tolkien names, so you have to walk from “Hillside End” to “Mount Fire”, and so on.

Comrade Koba fucked around with this message at 19:58 on Jan 5, 2023

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

gyrf
Aug 14, 2010
I remember downloading a Walk to Mordor iPhone app, but it's gone from the App Store. I assume it got hit with a DMCA notice. There's an two year old article about it on CNET.