Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

GD_American
Jul 21, 2004

LISTEN TO WHAT I HAVE TO SAY AS IT'S INCREDIBLY IMPORTANT!

General Dog posted:

Yeah this really sucks if he doesn’t make it.

I know it’s a morbid side note, but when’s the last time an active FBS head coach died? I can’t remember any off the top of my head in the 25 years I’ve been following CFB. Paterno would be the closest I guess.

Paterno was fired over two months before his death, and his successor had already been hired.

But yes, still the closest I can find.

Also Leach is a gigantic rear end in a top hat but one who absolutely raises the entertainment quotient of the sport I watch. Call it the Jeremy Clarkson Conundrum

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Komet
Apr 4, 2003

"If a Ute's got a rifle, there are some definite problems"

I've been following UVA only because I follow local Charlottesville sports journalists on twitter, and they've lot quite a few starters to the portal and most of the offers they've made are to Division II players whose best offers are to MAC schools. poo poo is not looking good for UVA in the near term.

Warbird
May 23, 2012

America's Favorite Dumbass

Good lord, you have that and Lane motherfucking Kiffin cross coaching the same state. God almighty.

LeeMajors
Jan 20, 2005

I've gotta stop fantasizing about Lee Majors...
Ah, one more!

drunk leprechaun posted:

https://twitter.com/clarionledger/status/1602335275266592770?t=fiL-jPoukLEkRDySiYMo0g&s=19

Not a stoke, but not good still. I'd suspect this takes him out of coaching for min a year or two if not permenantly.

Buried but he was actually in cardiac arrest and if he wasn’t defibrillated for 10-15min he may not be neurologically intact, or have any brain activity at all. Anoxic brain injuries are really serious and irreversible.

Medical goons have discussed this a bit in the chat thread but ROSC (return of spontaneous circulation) rates from out of hospital cardiac arrest are <20% typically and neuro-intact survival is something like 0.4% when selected for “viable” arrests (Utstein criteria met).

I’ve had 6 or 7 neuro-intact cardiac arrest saves in 13 years working EMS. That is a “good” number because I’ve been intensely lucky with good bystander CPR, available AEDs, and close proximity. 3 of those were probably profound hypotension due to sepsis, which I corrected with good CPR and high-dose cardiac epinephrine.

And this is probably out of 2-300 resuscitations I’ve worked. And that is a “good” number, from a lucky provider.

I’m not saying he’s hosed-hosed but there’s a lot in that article that makes me feel like it’s very very dire.

Judgy Fucker
Mar 24, 2006

Brett McMurphy and the OU Daily (student paper) are both reporting this morning that it's looking likely OU and Texas jump a year early, will start SEC play in 2024.

A local independent journalist who covers OU Board of Regents meetings is also saying there's some suspicious language regarding "present and past organizational affiliations" on their next agenda.

Ginette Reno
Nov 18, 2006

How Doers get more done
Fun Shoe
I don't follow college football all that closely but for whatever reason a few weeks ago I got into a youtube rabbit hole of watching football coaches going on tirades and naturally a lot of Mike Leach clips ended up in there. Mike Leach keeps popping up in my yt recommended videos ever since.

Now I see him trending on twitter today and see this news. This is weirding me out. I hope he's ok.

Well, that's my story.

Ginette Reno fucked around with this message at 18:17 on Dec 12, 2022

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010
Never forget Leach's cameo in Friday Night Lights that comes off as outright Lynchian to people who don't know who he is.

dphi
Jul 9, 2001
This is one of my favorite Leach articles, doesn't appear to require a sub to read either

https://theathletic.com/1138379/2019/08/15/what-the-is-going-on-right-now-inside-mike-leachs-qb-meetings/

"I had heard stories that he was this pirate guy when he first came, and he really wasn’t into pirates as much as I thought he was going to be. He wasn’t what I was expecting. But I don’t really know what I was expecting, either. I guess I didn’t expect him to be, uh, so weird."

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

Everybody's working for the weekend

Henchman of Santa posted:

Never forget Leach's cameo in Friday Night Lights that comes off as outright Lynchian to people who don't know who he is.

Yeah I’d totally forgotten about that cameo; somebody posted it on Twitter and my thought was “oh, I guess Leach is like the Log Lady of the FNL universe”.

kayakyakr
Feb 16, 2004

Kayak is true
Farewell Leach. You gave me some good memories, despite being an rear end in a top hat.

The was curse is broken last season, you didn't have to go and die.

LLCoolJD
Dec 8, 2007

Musk threatens the inorganic promotion of left-wing ideology that had been taking place on the platform

Block me for being an unironic DeSantis fan, too!
https://twitter.com/WxZachary/status/1602367196709142528?t=lUaD69EnY4vE7C79Wkdo7A&s=19

This sucks. College football is losing a truly interesting personality (and good coach).

mdemone
Mar 14, 2001

Had he survived after that length of anoxia, he would likely have been in a permanent vegetative state. This is mercifully not going to happen.

Canned Sunshine
Nov 20, 2005

CAUTION: POST QUALITY UNDER CONSTRUCTION

Ugh that sucks. He was one of my favorite coaches just because of his personality quirks.

fast cars loose anus
Mar 2, 2007

Pillbug
that really sucks

hope coach heaven is full of nerd gummy clusters

https://twitter.com/SECNetwork/status/1452057052591894532

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010
Mike Leach will not be seeing heaven (nor will pretty much any football coach) but the sport is less entertaining without him. Harrell2Crabtree to beat Texas is one of my favorite college football games as a neutral observer.

Relentlessboredomm
Oct 15, 2006

It's Sic Semper Tyrannis. You said, "Ever faithful terrible lizard."
gently caress i just saw the mike leach news, rip pirate captain. you inexplicably made Texas Tech, WSU, and MSU into genuinely dangerous (but fun!) teams.

Warbird
May 23, 2012

America's Favorite Dumbass

Beating your rival and then just fukkin dying so you go out on top is an extremely powerful move. Godspeed Mississippi man.

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

fast cars loose anus posted:

that really sucks

hope coach heaven is full of nerd gummy clusters

https://twitter.com/SECNetwork/status/1452057052591894532

Henchman of Santa posted:

Mike Leach will not be seeing heaven (nor will pretty much any football coach) but the sport is less entertaining without him. Harrell2Crabtree to beat Texas is one of my favorite college football games as a neutral observer.

"Coach heaven" is actually a subset of hell, but none of them really notice so it's okay. Just happily eating tape for eternity, like Homer and the donut machine.

Pakled
Aug 6, 2011

WE ARE SMART

General Dog posted:

"Coach heaven" is actually a subset of hell, but none of them really notice so it's okay. Just happily eating tape for eternity, like Homer and the donut machine.

The truly bad coaches are forced to recruit for eternity. That's where shoulder devils come from.

Sash!
Mar 16, 2001

I hate to act like he's already passed away when he hasn't, but I'm old enough to have already been waiting for the phone call that says "yep, finally went" a couple times.

May never have won a title or anything, yet I consider him one of the great legendary coaches of the first qu century. An icon of flavor and character (not the good kind of character, the "he's a character" one).

Pakled posted:

The truly bad coaches are forced to recruit for eternity. That's where shoulder devils come from.

CRUITIN FOR THE DEVIL

mdemone
Mar 14, 2001

General Dog posted:

I enjoy the idea that there is a section of Limbo where you just do film study and two-a-days but there's never a game

Sash!
Mar 16, 2001

mdemone posted:

I enjoy the idea that there is a section of Limbo where you just do film study and two-a-days but there's never a game

You have to install an air raid offense on a triple option personnel unit.

Komet
Apr 4, 2003

Sash! posted:

You have to install an air raid offense on a triple option personnel unit.

Just when the Navy job opened up too

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010

Pakled posted:

That just means Nick Saban is the devil himself. Wait a minute...

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe
Going out with an Egg Bowl victory is certainly a way to go. #Clanga

Dr_Strangelove
Dec 16, 2003

Mein Fuhrer! THEY WON!

Sash! posted:

CRUITIN FOR THE DEVIL

https://youtu.be/-KTXuqNyTAI

Sash!
Mar 16, 2001

The comments on this are amazing

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22
At least Mike Leach had the decency to entertain us while being a huge dick.

Ungratek
Aug 2, 2005

Sash! posted:

I hate to act like he's already passed away when he hasn't, but I'm old enough to have already been waiting for the phone call that says "yep, finally went" a couple times.

May never have won a title or anything, yet I consider him one of the great legendary coaches of the first qu century. An icon of flavor and character (not the good kind of character, the "he's a character" one).

CRUITIN FOR THE DEVIL

SATAN VERY SORRY TO HEAR WHAT HAS HAPPENED THIS IS THE BULL CRAP THAT HEAVEN HAS BECOME. IF I CAN BE OF ANY HELP PLEASE LET ME KNOW

dirty shrimp money
Jan 8, 2001

In non Mike Leach news, Grayson McCall hit the transfer portal. Only arguably the best player in the Group of 5.

Early speculation lands him at Auburn.

Blue Raider
Sep 2, 2006

loving sucks about Leach

Thermos H Christ
Sep 6, 2007

WINNINGEST BEVO
I don’t even know if this is the same sport without Mike Leach out there somewhere doing the things Mike Leach does

Roasted Donut
Aug 24, 2007

NWA WHITE POWERRR!!!!
this is all bumming me out really bad

shyduck
Oct 3, 2003

https://twitter.com/CFBHeather/status/1602443754320936965?t=2t8kGflQjhbtKsRQc_OLQQ&s=19

Damn Dirty Ape
Jan 23, 2015

I love you Dr. Zaius

Roasted Donut posted:

this is all bumming me out really bad

Yeah me too. This is pretty much exactly what happened with my dad a few years ago. That 10-15 minutes before Leach received medical attention after he had his heart attack that was thrown out there to means he is likely brain dead and they are just waiting for his body to give up. It's really one of the worst things anybody should ever have to deal with and my heart goes out to his friends and family.

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

I often use the “now he belongs to the ages” quote in jest, but for Leach it’s kind of true. The game never passes him by now, the problematic elements never grow to outweigh the fun ones- not that it’s of any solace to him or his family or is equal on value to another 25 years on earth, but he gets to be a mythic, Johnny Appleseed type figure for college football now, for generations.

dirty shrimp money
Jan 8, 2001

No idea if Bill Snyder had a senior moment or let the cat out of the bag but

https://twitter.com/CoachBillSnyder/status/1602460544874733568

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

dirty shrimp money posted:

No idea if Bill Snyder had a senior moment or let the cat out of the bag but

https://twitter.com/CoachBillSnyder/status/1602460544874733568

I’d be surprised if he had inside info, but on the other hand I’m still surprised John Cena was the first person to know that Osama Bin Laden had been killed, so who knows.

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

"Jesus, did I say that? Or just think it? Was I talking? Did they hear me?"

General Dog posted:

I’d be surprised if he had inside info, but on the other hand I’m still surprised John Cena was the first person to know that Osama Bin Laden had been killed, so who knows.

Technically, The Rock was the first civilian to know about that. It was just relayed to Cena, possibly from The Rock.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dr_Strangelove
Dec 16, 2003

Mein Fuhrer! THEY WON!

https://twitter.com/coachbillsnyder/status/1602465439258378243?s=46&t=em1xawuI1eJ05KcAjWWv6g