Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

my bony fealty
Oct 1, 2008

Shear Modulus posted:

They've been convinced of that for a long time. It was at the core of the Singularity cult. Ray Kurzweil became a silicon valley guru and hugely influential public intellectual because he was telling everyone that aging would be solved in a couple decades, so if you live until then you'll be able to live forever and/or upload your brain to a computer. He was literally saying that in Time magazine.

e: look at this horseshit from the wikipedia page for his most famous book:

same old poo poo rich powerful people have been doing since the dawn of class inequality

maybe Bezos can try drinking mercury for longevity?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

War and Pieces
Apr 24, 2022

DID NOT VOTE FOR FETTERMAN
Ist quantum computing hypey enough of its own without all this bull poo poo?

Just say it's going to cure cancer lmao

Endman
May 18, 2010

That is not dead which can eternal lie, And with strange aeons even anime may die

a few DRUNK BONERS posted:

What happens when you shoot google with a gun?

Only one way to find out :clint:

Endman
May 18, 2010

That is not dead which can eternal lie, And with strange aeons even anime may die

It’s actually much more reasonable to believe we’ll be able to give people anti-aging gene therapy than upload them to computers.

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

someone shot the facist pm of italy's friend dead at a condo board meeting in a street cafe. idk if this is spooky or not but italian violence is on brand for this thread

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
lol years of lead / Operation Gladio really heating up

Lampsacus
Oct 21, 2008

MonsieurChoc posted:

Switching tracks for a bit, I'm now Soy Sauce pilled.

https://www.tumblr.com/inneskeeper/tagged/the%20mysterious%20appearance%20of%20miss%20appleton

Someone decides to look up this woman who according to Kikkoman's website basically controlled the supply the soy beans to post-war japan and thus caused all of the Soy Sauce industry to switch brewing method. Except there's no sources or even proofs this woman ever lived.
Show me, show you, Kikkoman!

mawarannahr
May 21, 2019

gradenko_2000 posted:

lol years of lead / Operation Gladio really heating up

Pop-Up Gladio: 428 people died in the years of lead according to wikipedia. this period spanned 20 years. in 2022, 852 kids died from gunfire in usa—so far.

Futanari Damacy
Oct 30, 2021

by sebmojo
So this is how humanity ends, by morons with generational wealth acting out their favorite sci-fi novellas

Roko's Basilisk: "let's dedicate our lives to making the computer from I Have No Mouth and I Must Scream real"

maxwellhill
Jan 5, 2022

Endman posted:

It’s not actually possible either, unless we find some way of creating unlimited energy with the ability to store cosmic amounts of information in hyperspace or whatever.

Mapping the 86 million neurons in the human brain is beyond the capacity of all of our computers put together, and that’s just if we’re talking about a single “brain state”. Think of it as a screenshot, whereas having that software version of your brain be able to think and create memories requires not just the ability to store one brain state, but infinite.

Not happening.

lol

Goa Tse-tung
Feb 11, 2008

;3

Yams Fan

Endman posted:

It’s not actually possible either, unless we find some way of creating unlimited energy with the ability to store cosmic amounts of information in hyperspace or whatever.

Mapping the 86 million neurons in the human brain is beyond the capacity of all of our computers put together, and that’s just if we’re talking about a single “brain state”. Think of it as a screenshot, whereas having that software version of your brain be able to think and create memories requires not just the ability to store one brain state, but infinite.

Not happening.

so just grow a second brain and transfer there, ez

multistability
Feb 15, 2014
I get all the Singularity stuff and it's just absolutely bonkers but it seems that with the advent of technologies like CRISPR (developed at Harvard by Epstein-funded scientist George Church) they have pivoted hard to "gene editing" instead, this could explain why DARPA, Bill Gates, etc, are going in hard for companies like Moderna:

quote:

We finally know who Moderna has been courting behind the scenes to make the big jump into gene editing. The famed biotech has signed a research partnership with CRISPR gene editing company Metagenomi.

quote:

Metagenomi, Inc., a genetic medicines company with a versatile portfolio of next-generation gene editing tools, and Moderna Inc. (NASDAQ:MRNA), a biotechnology company pioneering messenger RNA (mRNA) therapeutics and vaccines, today announced that the two companies have entered into a strategic research and development collaboration focused on advancing new gene editing systems for in vivo human therapeutic applications. The collaboration will utilize Metagenomi’s novel gene editing tools and leverage Moderna’s mRNA platform, as well as lipid nanoparticle (LNP) delivery technologies, with the goal of developing curative therapies for patients with serious genetic diseases.

I think nowadays "ageing" is seen as just a genetic disease like any other, so if you can use CRISPR or whatever to do some "gene therapy" then you can effectively stop ageing, and potentially live forever. I think these people really believe this and they're desperate to get their hands on the elixir of life

Zodium
Jun 19, 2004

they absolutely really believe they're going to crispr their telomeres to functional immortality, if they can just hang on until the technological singularity. in practice that just means they are exercising and eating a lot of weird supplements.

Koirhor
Jan 14, 2008

by Fluffdaddy

Zodium posted:

they absolutely really believe they're going to crispr their telomeres to functional immortality, if they can just hang on until the technological singularity. in practice that just means they are exercising and eating a lot of weird supplements.

it’s certainly more possible than uploading their brains, but lol

Spergin Morlock
Aug 8, 2009

Endman posted:

Not happening.

there's more like 80-100 billion neurons in the human brain but yea, lol

Hooplah
Jul 15, 2006

multistability posted:

I get all the Singularity stuff and it's just absolutely bonkers but it seems that with the advent of technologies like CRISPR (developed at Harvard by Epstein-funded scientist George Church) they have pivoted hard to "gene editing" instead, this could explain why DARPA, Bill Gates, etc, are going in hard for companies like Moderna:

I think nowadays "ageing" is seen as just a genetic disease like any other, so if you can use CRISPR or whatever to do some "gene therapy" then you can effectively stop ageing, and potentially live forever. I think these people really believe this and they're desperate to get their hands on the elixir of life

yeah these guys are no different from the renaissance alchemists. rich guys looking for a way to Science themselves out of the human condition

multistability
Feb 15, 2014

Hooplah posted:

yeah these guys are no different from the renaissance alchemists. rich guys looking for a way to Science themselves out of the human condition

Yeah I mean like John Dee (occultist & alchemist who advocated for the foundation of the "British Empire") was one of Elizabeth I's top advisors - it's all just occultism masquerading as science masquerading as occultism masquerading as ... ad infinitum for these freaks

War and Pieces
Apr 24, 2022

DID NOT VOTE FOR FETTERMAN

Hooplah posted:

Renaissance alchemists were just doing chemistry

Perry Mason Jar
Feb 24, 2006

"Della? Take a lid"
Remember that guy who stored and heated his pee long and often enough that his piss finally began to emit a strong glow? Alchemy is NOT fake

Perry Mason Jar
Feb 24, 2006

"Della? Take a lid"
I'm exagerrating for effect: not all of it was HIS piss, to be fair

Bwah
Nov 6, 2005
Rarg.
no, who was that and where can i read more about the glowing urine?

Azathoth
Apr 3, 2001

Isaac Newton was doing a shitload of alchemy alongside the normal science and math we know him for, and the only reason it isn't more widely known is that his heirs (unsuccessfully) tried to destroy evidence of his alchemical work, but we gloss over all that when we learn about him in school as the Father of Science and Mathematics.

mawarannahr
May 21, 2019

Bwah posted:

the guy was trying to invent the planet and star stickers to put on his kinder’s bedroom ceiling. his name was willy Brandt.

Spergin Morlock
Aug 8, 2009

Azathoth posted:

Isaac Newton was doing a shitload of alchemy alongside the normal science and math we know him for, and the only reason it isn't more widely known is that his heirs (unsuccessfully) tried to destroy evidence of his alchemical work, but we gloss over all that when we learn about him in school as the Father of Science and Mathematics.

he was also convinced he could find secret codes in the bible lol

Futanari Damacy
Oct 30, 2021

by sebmojo

Spergin Morlock posted:

he was also convinced he could find secret codes in the bible lol

There is a secret code in the bible, and it's be sure to drink your ovaltine

Spergin Morlock
Aug 8, 2009

Futanari Damacy posted:

There is a secret code in the bible, and it's be sure to drink your ovaltine

a crummy commercial?

Chamale
Jul 11, 2010

I'm helping!

Newton cut two holes in his door, for a cat and her kittens, but the kittens usually went through the big hole.

Perry Mason Jar
Feb 24, 2006

"Della? Take a lid"

Bwah posted:

Hennig Brand. The substance he alchemized through this intensive urine process was phosphorous.

Torpor
Oct 20, 2008

.. and now for my next trick, I'll pretend to be a political commentator...

HONK HONK

Zodium posted:

the problem is we don’t actually know how any of the body actually works; so CRISPRing the body is going to be a crap shoot

Futanari Damacy
Oct 30, 2021

by sebmojo

Chamale posted:

Newton cut two holes in his door, for a cat and her kittens, but the kittens usually went through the big hole.

Someone (not Adam Curtis) tried to frame this as the smartest man in the world FAILED to predict this and was DUMBFOUNDED

Perry Mason Jar
Feb 24, 2006

"Della? Take a lid"
https://www.tiktok.com/t/ZTRVBF1b8/

Perry Mason Jar has issued a correction as of 18:40 on Dec 12, 2022

sonatinas
Apr 15, 2003

Seattle Karate Vs. L.A. Karate

MonsieurChoc posted:

Switching tracks for a bit, I'm now Soy Sauce pilled.

https://www.tumblr.com/inneskeeper/tagged/the%20mysterious%20appearance%20of%20miss%20appleton

Someone decides to look up this woman who according to Kikkoman's website basically controlled the supply the soy beans to post-war japan and thus caused all of the Soy Sauce industry to switch brewing method. Except there's no sources or even proofs this woman ever lived.

the majority of soy for kikkoman’s main plant (in noda?) uses Michigan grown ngmo soy.

BrutalistMcDonalds
Oct 4, 2012

Lipstick Apathy
it's the jakarta method

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VFFcj1f9K18

Bwah
Nov 6, 2005
Rarg.

Perry Mason Jar posted:

Hennig Brand. The substance he alchemized through this intensive urine process was phosphorous.

thanks! i wasn't sure if you were referencing a real thing or a goon experiment. feels like i should have known that. another alchemical truth kept hidden from the masses i guess!

Laterite
Mar 14, 2007

It's Gutfest '89
Grimey Drawer
pictured: a dude rocking

Perry Mason Jar
Feb 24, 2006

"Della? Take a lid"
I know it smell crazy in there

A Bakers Cousin
Dec 18, 2003

by vyelkin
How odd i fell down a alchemist rabbit hole last night and check the epstein thread and see alchemy posts :tinfoil:

mawarannahr
May 21, 2019

Laterite posted:

pictured: a dude rocking

Pee, stored in one ball

Azathoth
Apr 3, 2001

A Bakers Cousin posted:

How odd i fell down a alchemist rabbit hole last night and check the epstein thread and see alchemy posts :tinfoil:

*whispers* it's all connected

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shear Modulus
Jun 9, 2010

funny excerpt from newton's wikipedia page

quote:

In June 2020, two unpublished pages of Newton's notes on Jan Baptist van Helmont's book on plague, De Peste,[153] were being auctioned online by Bonhams. Newton's analysis of this book, which he made in Cambridge while protecting himself from London's 1665–1666 infection, is the most substantial written statement he is known to have made about the plague, according to Bonhams. As far as the therapy is concerned, Newton writes that "the best is a toad suspended by the legs in a chimney for three days, which at last vomited up earth with various insects in it, on to a dish of yellow wax, and shortly after died. Combining powdered toad with the excretions and serum made into lozenges and worn about the affected area drove away the contagion and drew out the poison".[154]