Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
What best approximates your holiday experience?
This poll is closed.
A time of festivities with family and friends that reminds you of life and love 5 13.89%
A time of rumination and reflection as you consider your year and the next 4 11.11%
A time of quiet, cloudy depression where you fold yourself in shows and video games until it's over 17 47.22%
A time to smoke just so much god damned weed 10 27.78%
Total: 36 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

CarlCX
Dec 14, 2003

ilmucche posted:

How did they end up a draw? Why is Dana so angry beyond his usual level of anger?

He's personally embarrassed his plan didn't work and he's taking it out on them for daring to go to a decision.

Also:

The UFC Rio main event WAS Figueiredo/Moreno 4. Now it is not. This was going to be the first flyweight main event since December of 2020, but by god, fill that light heavyweight hole

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Brut
Aug 21, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 11 days!
Glover getting that title shot is what should have happened in the first place, so at least we're getting that now.

Unperson_47
Oct 14, 2007

Dana should be mad at the judges that Paddy won then

DoombatINC
Apr 20, 2003

Here's the thing, I'm a feminist.

The PPV was horrible from the perspective of Dana getting anything he wanted - even the Paddy W went over like a lead balloon to an audience of people in bespoke Paddy wigs

Mekchu
Apr 10, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Brut posted:

Unfunny tweets from twitter trolls, unless of course they're notable (fighters, managers, journalists, fight org officials, etc are all fine)

Nah that one's just on the previous page.

:agreed:, no comedy/trolling posts should ever be tolerated on the Something Awful forums.

Mekchu fucked around with this message at 22:14 on Dec 11, 2022

Mekchu
Apr 10, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
http://twitter.com/ZidanSports/status/1602001590738898944

Oh nooooooo, the gay murdering warlord is upset his preferred guy didn't win.

chaleski
Apr 25, 2014

The irony of Kadyrov boohoo'ing about politics in MMA is making my loving head spin

Mekchu
Apr 10, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Yeah someone so involved with sportswashing crying about supposed political bias when his doesn't get a belt is pretty comically pathetic.

Mekchu fucked around with this message at 23:07 on Dec 11, 2022

CarlCX
Dec 14, 2003

CarlCX posted:

This was going to be the first flyweight main event since December of 2020, but by god, fill that light heavyweight hole
So a) this kept bugging me and b) I'm having kind of a dissociative day and wanted to dive into an afternoon data project. This also means this is going to be long, dry and effortposty, so feel free to scroll.

I bitch about the flyweight division and its mistreatment constantly, but I've never done/have never seen anyone do the actual comparative analysis of how it's been treated. So I went back to the pay-per-view at which the flyweight championship was inaugurated, UFC 152: Jones vs Belfort on September 22, 2012, and starting that night collated every single main event the UFC has put on for the decade-ish of the flyweight division's history to see how many main events each division has gotten.

The rough results:
  • HEAVYWEIGHT: 67
  • LIGHT-HEAVYWEIGHT: 57
  • MIDDLEWEIGHT: 63
  • WELTERWEIGHT: 62
  • LIGHTWEIGHT: 47
  • FEATHERWEIGHT: 45
  • BANTAMWEIGHT: 22
  • WOMEN'S FEATHERWEIGHT: (est. 2/11/2017): 6*
  • WOMEN'S BANTAMWEIGHT (est. 2/23/2013): 17
  • WOMEN'S FLYWEIGHT (est. 12/1/2017): 5
  • WOMEN'S STRAWWEIGHT (est. 12/12/2014): 13
(the * for women's featherweight is because the first WFW bouts in the UFC were held at 140 pound catchweights because the UFC was still trying to convince Cyborg to fight at 135 and didn't actually give up until 2017, so if you don't want to count those, it's 5)
  • FLYWEIGHT: 16
So, okay, it's the lowest of the men's divisions, which sucks but I guess is to be expected, but it's not THAT much lower, right? Here's the fun part:
  • UFC on Fox: Johnson vs Benavidez 2, 12/14/2013 - Supposed to be Anthony Pettis vs TJ Grant, Grant gets injured, supposed to be Pettis vs Josh Thomson, Pettis gets injured four weeks out, Johnson/Benavidez gets promoted to main
  • UFC 178: Johnson vs Cariaso, 9/27/2014 - Supposed to be Jon Jones vs Alexander Gustafsson 2, Gus gets injured, supposed to be Jones vs Daniel Cormier, Jones gets injured five weeks out, Johnson and Cariaso get moved from the co-main event of UFC 177 to the main event of 178
  • UFC 186: Johnson vs Horiguchi, 4/25/2015 - Supposed to be T.J. Dillashaw vs Renan Barao 2, Dillashaw gets injured four weeks out, Johnson and Horiguchi get promoted to main
  • UFC 191: Johnson vs Dodson 2, 9/5/2015 - Supposed to be Daniel Cormier vs Alexander Gustafsson, fight gets rescheduled for UFC 192, Johnson and Dodson get pushed up from co-main
  • UFC Fight Night: Holohan vs Smolka, 10/24/105 - This may shock you but Paddy Holohan and Louis Smolka were not supposed to headline a card, this was supposed to be Dustin Poirier vs Joe Duffy, Duffy got concussed in training 72 hours before the card and Holohan and Smolka got pushed up from co-main
  • UFC 256: Figueiredo vs Moreno, 12/12/2020 - Supposed to be Kamaru Usman vs Gilbert Burns, Usman pulled out over injuries, then supposed to be Amanda Nunes vs Megan Anderson, Nunes pulled out over injuries, then supposed to be Petr Yan vs Aljamain Sterling, visa and travel issues kept Yan from making the trip, so despite having just fought three weeks prior Figueiredo was tapped to last-minute main event against Moreno
The UFC has promoted 400+ events in the decade since inaugurating the flyweight championship, and they've only intentionally booked a flyweight main event ten times. There are only two divisions in the UFC with less main events than flyweight, and they've both been around for half as long and one of them has never had more than 6 fighters on its roster.

But people just don't like flyweights, for some loving reason.

Marching Powder
Mar 8, 2008

stop the fucking fight, cornerman, your dude is fucking done and is about to be killed.
Even more baffling was that mighty mouse wasn't just decisioning guys. He finished top dudes regularly, sometimes with moves pro wrestlers wish they made up.

ilmucche
Mar 16, 2016

What did you say the strategy was?
Does this mean Vacant, the true champ champ, now has a title defense? How many times had they successfully defended the belt before?

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

actually, yeah, I am a little mad
It’s now an annual tradition

e: can’t believe it’s been more than a year since the Venum deal.

CarlCX
Dec 14, 2003

ilmucche posted:

Does this mean Vacant, the true champ champ, now has a title defense? How many times had they successfully defended the belt before?

Depending on if you define championship life as beginning at conception or not, the first standing championship match in UFC history was Dan Severn and Ken Shamrock fighting to a draw for the UFC Superfight championship and leaving it vacant, so that's either a win or a defense.

If you mean just cases where the title was vacant going into a fight and remained vacant afterward, other than last night I think the only UFC case was in 2002; Jens Pulver dropped the lightweight title over pay disputes, the UFC held a tournament to fill the vacancy and it ended in BJ Penn and Caol Uno going to a draw, which the UFC initially said it might do something about and then 'something' wound up being just pretending the belt didn't exist for like four years.

STING 64
Oct 20, 2006

Brut posted:

Glover getting that title shot is what should have happened in the first place, so at least we're getting that now.
nope

ilmucche
Mar 16, 2016

What did you say the strategy was?

CarlCX posted:

If you mean just cases where the title was vacant going into a fight and remained vacant afterward, other than last night I think the only UFC case was in 2002; Jens Pulver dropped the lightweight title over pay disputes, the UFC held a tournament to fill the vacancy and it ended in BJ Penn and Caol Uno going to a draw, which the UFC initially said it might do something about and then 'something' wound up being just pretending the belt didn't exist for like four years.

Something like this yeah. Vacant defending the belt by winning a tournament. Excellent

Brut
Aug 21, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 11 days!

What?

LobsterMobster
Oct 29, 2009

"I was being quiet and trying to be a good boy but he dialed the right combination to open the throw-down vault and it was on."

"Walter Foxx is ten times brighter than your bulb at the bottom of the tree merry xmas"

CarlCX posted:

Depending on if you define championship life as beginning at conception or not, the first standing championship match in UFC history was Dan Severn and Ken Shamrock fighting to a draw for the UFC Superfight championship and leaving it vacant, so that's either a win or a defense.

Wasn't the belt vacant for the first Figueiredo vs Benavidez fight that Deveison missed weight for, so only Joe could be champ, and Joe got smoked?

STING 64
Oct 20, 2006

CarlCX posted:

So a) this kept bugging me and b) I'm having kind of a dissociative day and wanted to dive into an afternoon data project. This also means this is going to be long, dry and effortposty, so feel free to scroll.

I bitch about the flyweight division and its mistreatment constantly, but I've never done/have never seen anyone do the actual comparative analysis of how it's been treated. So I went back to the pay-per-view at which the flyweight championship was inaugurated, UFC 152: Jones vs Belfort on September 22, 2012, and starting that night collated every single main event the UFC has put on for the decade-ish of the flyweight division's history to see how many main events each division has gotten.

The rough results:
  • HEAVYWEIGHT: 67
  • LIGHT-HEAVYWEIGHT: 57
  • MIDDLEWEIGHT: 63
  • WELTERWEIGHT: 62
  • LIGHTWEIGHT: 47
  • FEATHERWEIGHT: 45
  • BANTAMWEIGHT: 22
  • WOMEN'S FEATHERWEIGHT: (est. 2/11/2017): 6*
  • WOMEN'S BANTAMWEIGHT (est. 2/23/2013): 17
  • WOMEN'S FLYWEIGHT (est. 12/1/2017): 5
  • WOMEN'S STRAWWEIGHT (est. 12/12/2014): 13
(the * for women's featherweight is because the first WFW bouts in the UFC were held at 140 pound catchweights because the UFC was still trying to convince Cyborg to fight at 135 and didn't actually give up until 2017, so if you don't want to count those, it's 5)
  • FLYWEIGHT: 16
So, okay, it's the lowest of the men's divisions, which sucks but I guess is to be expected, but it's not THAT much lower, right? Here's the fun part:
  • UFC on Fox: Johnson vs Benavidez 2, 12/14/2013 - Supposed to be Anthony Pettis vs TJ Grant, Grant gets injured, supposed to be Pettis vs Josh Thomson, Pettis gets injured four weeks out, Johnson/Benavidez gets promoted to main
  • UFC 178: Johnson vs Cariaso, 9/27/2014 - Supposed to be Jon Jones vs Alexander Gustafsson 2, Gus gets injured, supposed to be Jones vs Daniel Cormier, Jones gets injured five weeks out, Johnson and Cariaso get moved from the co-main event of UFC 177 to the main event of 178
  • UFC 186: Johnson vs Horiguchi, 4/25/2015 - Supposed to be T.J. Dillashaw vs Renan Barao 2, Dillashaw gets injured four weeks out, Johnson and Horiguchi get promoted to main
  • UFC 191: Johnson vs Dodson 2, 9/5/2015 - Supposed to be Daniel Cormier vs Alexander Gustafsson, fight gets rescheduled for UFC 192, Johnson and Dodson get pushed up from co-main
  • UFC Fight Night: Holohan vs Smolka, 10/24/105 - This may shock you but Paddy Holohan and Louis Smolka were not supposed to headline a card, this was supposed to be Dustin Poirier vs Joe Duffy, Duffy got concussed in training 72 hours before the card and Holohan and Smolka got pushed up from co-main
  • UFC 256: Figueiredo vs Moreno, 12/12/2020 - Supposed to be Kamaru Usman vs Gilbert Burns, Usman pulled out over injuries, then supposed to be Amanda Nunes vs Megan Anderson, Nunes pulled out over injuries, then supposed to be Petr Yan vs Aljamain Sterling, visa and travel issues kept Yan from making the trip, so despite having just fought three weeks prior Figueiredo was tapped to last-minute main event against Moreno
The UFC has promoted 400+ events in the decade since inaugurating the flyweight championship, and they've only intentionally booked a flyweight main event ten times. There are only two divisions in the UFC with less main events than flyweight, and they've both been around for half as long and one of them has never had more than 6 fighters on its roster.

But people just don't like flyweights, for some loving reason.
i like flyweights

CarlCX
Dec 14, 2003

LobsterMobster posted:

Wasn't the belt vacant for the first Figueiredo vs Benavidez fight that Deveison missed weight for, so only Joe could be champ, and Joe got smoked?

You're absolutely correct, that one slipped my mind because the fight had a definitive ending, but yup, totally.

JOHN CENA posted:

i like flyweights

you're one of the good ones, JOHN CENA

STING 64
Oct 20, 2006

the heart of a real champion would not accept a false title, it is bushido. he should wait for jiri.

Fozzy The Bear
Dec 11, 1999

Nothing much, watching the game, drinking a bud

JOHN CENA posted:

the heart of a real champion would not accept a false title, it is bushido. he should wait for jiri.

Jon Jones is holding the true belt anyway, all these other lhw title fights are pretenders.

CarlCX
Dec 14, 2003

Fozzy The Bear posted:

Frank Shamrock is holding the true belt anyway, all these other lhw title fights are pretenders.

Fozzy The Bear
Dec 11, 1999

Nothing much, watching the game, drinking a bud

Frank's was called middleweight :-P

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

actually, yeah, I am a little mad

CarlCX posted:

but #4 is so pissed off he's not sure he wants to fight anymore

He clarified that translation:
https://www.lowkickmma.com/magomed-ankalaev-post-fight-mistranslation/
Unless it was saving face? Brut?

Brut
Aug 21, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 11 days!

kimbo305 posted:

He clarified that translation:
https://www.lowkickmma.com/magomed-ankalaev-post-fight-mistranslation/
Unless it was saving face? Brut?

I stopped listening to the interview when his first two answers were "Waaaaah, where's my belt, waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaah". If you have the footage I'll listen to it again but otherwise since it's PPV I don't have access to it.

fakeedit: okay I checked youtube and it's just available, https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g6Q1s_MKO9w, hang on.

First answer: I don't know what to say, I won the fight, for some reason they didn't give me the belt, I don't know what this is.
Second answer: Well I can't win (in the eyes of) these judges that are sitting here judging, but I won the fight, I won the belt, where's my belt? (note: this got translated as "I can't choose the judges", but I think the translator misheard him there)
Third answer: It doesn't matter if my legs hurt or not, but I did everything to achieve victory
Fourth answer: I always do everything to achieve victory, if I'm losing in the standup I start wrestling, if I'm losing at wrestling I'll fight standing, I can do it either way it makes no difference, but I don't know what this is, will I fight here again I also don't know.

Yeah it seems like the translator ran with that and said organization when he shouldn't have, to the point where when Rogan (and the translator relayed) said the organization does not choose the judges or who the winner is, Ankalaev's first response is basically "what do you mean?", translator says well meaning that it is the judges fault and not the organization's fault, Ankalaev goes on to thank his supporters/club and all that stuff.

tl;dr: he said "here" and I don't think he meant UFC as a whole.

avantgardener
Sep 16, 2003

When I was watching I thought the translator was adding some drama for effect, his tone of voice in general was much more dramatic than Anlalaev's

beep by grandpa
May 5, 2004

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YzyPTYftciU

lmao this kid getting absolutely eviscerated in the comments. its relentless :lol:

i dont think ive ever seen a prospect lose so much stock just from one fight, much less one that he """won""". just a textbook case in how to handle everything completely wrong.

Shumagorath
Jun 6, 2001
I didn’t watch the card; how did PP bomb so badly?

DoombatINC
Apr 20, 2003

Here's the thing, I'm a feminist.

Shumagorath posted:

It was just a really unimpressive performance and most onlookers agreed he'd lost, when the judges handed him the decision it was met with a lot of grumbles - that would be enough to take a little shine off the big PPV debut, but him boasting during the interview and strutting around on a hugely unearned ego trip took it from a contentious win to a public embarrassment

beep by grandpa
May 5, 2004

hes behaving as tho he produced the highlight knockout of the year in a championship bout he was the underdog in or something. he should be summarily demolished fighting someone in the top 15 which i'm sure tonnnns of people will tune in to watch happen, us included. but i think we've been around long enough to know ppl have short memories so if he somehow produces an impressive win with his next fight, then this last fight may as well never happened lol

Brut
Aug 21, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 11 days!

Shumagorath posted:

You should watch the card, it was good until the co-main/main (I didn't think the main event was that bad either but my expectations were low for it)

Boco_T
Mar 12, 2003

la calaca tilica y flaca
He yelled about it being the fight of the night after going to the first decision after 10 straight finishes including several round 3 finishes

beep by grandpa
May 5, 2004

Boco_T posted:

He yelled about it being the fight of the night after going to the first decision after 10 straight finishes including several round 3 finishes

Don't forget they got booed several times during the fight lol

Beeswax
Dec 29, 2005

Grimey Drawer
Sounds like the best way to try to remain marketable after stinking up the octagon

CarlCX
Dec 14, 2003

Yeah, like, Paddy Pimblett is a dumb rear end in a top hat, but he's made the conscious choice to be a dumb rear end in a top hat. He's long since committed wholesale to the Conor-lite thing, it's not like he can dial it back now. He's going to ride it without ever deviating right up until the moment someone completely breaks his poo poo, and I can only hope that it is Ilia Topuria.

Mekchu
Apr 10, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

DoombatINC posted:

It was just a really unimpressive performance and most onlookers agreed he'd lost, when the judges handed him the decision it was met with a lot of grumbles - that would be enough to take a little shine off the big PPV debut, but him boasting during the interview and strutting around on a hugely unearned ego trip took it from a contentious win to a public embarrassment

Sort of like when Rose went "I'M THE loving BEST" in her rematch with Carla which she very clearly lost a boring lovely fight.

Mekchu
Apr 10, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

CarlCX posted:

Yeah, like, Paddy Pimblett is a dumb rear end in a top hat, but he's made the conscious choice to be a dumb rear end in a top hat. He's long since committed wholesale to the Conor-lite thing, it's not like he can dial it back now. He's going to ride it without ever deviating right up until the moment someone completely breaks his poo poo, and I can only hope that it is Ilia Topuria.

I just want an entertaining fighter who also does good food/cooking related stuff.

Paddy could've easily been the Man vs Food MMA variant. At least we have Cookin' with Volk.

LobsterMobster
Oct 29, 2009

"I was being quiet and trying to be a good boy but he dialed the right combination to open the throw-down vault and it was on."

"Walter Foxx is ten times brighter than your bulb at the bottom of the tree merry xmas"
I want Paddy to lose spectacularly in the main event so the arena and surrounding area outside can be strewn with discarded M'lord wigs in disgust

butros
Aug 2, 2007

I believe the signs of the reptile master

Mekchu posted:

I just want an entertaining fighter who also does good food/cooking related stuff.

Paddy could've easily been the Man vs Food MMA variant. At least we have Cookin' with Volk.

Leech cooking for his family and the camera crew on the last Embedded he was on :unsmith:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kri kri
Jul 18, 2007

Dana.flv

https://twitter.com/hektic_one/status/1602397414228430864?s=46&t=R71zwRCDWj8wRBb_ioCV4A