Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

FileNotFound
Jul 17, 2005

titty_baby_ posted:

Iirc you can turn off werebeasts or attacks at world creation. Ive done that and had no encounters

Yeah - I actually kinda have a love/hate relationship werebeasts and vampires - I just couldn't keep track of the biters in the steam release at all and essentially ragequit after failing 4 months in a row to get my infection under control.

So yeah, aware that I could turn them off but rather just wait for a better logging.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cup Runneth Over
Aug 8, 2009

She said life's
Too short to worry
Life's too long to wait
It's too short
Not to love everybody
Life's too long to hate

pisshead posted:

What I don't like about graphical DF is that isn't not as colourful. Colbalt isn't even bright blue.

Yeah, the fact that ores and enemies don't pop out from the environment anymore took some getting used to.

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post
good news everyone, the hella yuri curator has added DF to their list

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

How do you make toys, is that under Rock Crafts? I can make the little bastards a run or two of random garbage to shut them up.

Alternate gimmick: Produce toys instead of mugs for your fodder to trade!

Cup Runneth Over
Aug 8, 2009

She said life's
Too short to worry
Life's too long to wait
It's too short
Not to love everybody
Life's too long to hate

Decon posted:

Flooded what would've been my bedrooms because my dumb brain thought that a well at a lower elevation than the river source it was hooked to would be okay.

It wasn't.

Love people discovering water pressure. I remember my first time flooding my fort with a well. Good times.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

titty_baby_ posted:

Iirc you can turn off werebeasts or attacks at world creation. Ive done that and had no encounters

FileNotFound posted:

I'm in the same boat as you - long time DF player and I think I'm going to shelf this for a bit till some of the DF features make it over and the logging is improved.

Also maybe I'm stupid but I cannot find a way to cancel construction via zone selection.

One of the ways I used to make things was to carve out a section then order the whole area 'walled' and then 'cancel' the hallways. Except while I can make a wall cube just fine, I can't then cancel a whole line/zone - I have to click each tile. Not viable.

The lack of logging is just gamebreaking to me. I know they show up in alerts but they are very hard to follow there. Weredwarves were always a real mess to deal with in DF, but in the steam version I find them impossible to recover from because I do not have any reasonable way to track who got bit at all. Despite my best efforts my last run got reduced from 130 to 16 dwarves because I just couldn't identify who got bit and who didn't due to the crappy logging.

So at this point I'm not sure how you'd deal with were invasions short of locking every single door once a month...

You can just turn off werecreatures coming to your fort in settings at any time. I think. I set it to "off" anyway.

And yeah, I haven't really played a fort in any depth since vampirism and werecreatures came in because I just didn't want to deal with the micro. I'm ready to give it another go though but yeah, need the tools. Which will come out SoonTM, I'm sure.

DFHack is in active development for the steam release I know, just like. . . it's a lot of work !

Hieronymous Alloy fucked around with this message at 19:51 on Dec 12, 2022

Arrath
Apr 14, 2011

The game settings menu is a great thing to take a look through, even back to classic DF I'd always turn my popcap down because I would get overwhelmed trying to keep up with 200 dwarves, and massive migrant waves.

So far I'm running a cap of 100, hard cap at 125, with max 25 children and 30 guests.

One downside I noticed after a recent unfortunate incident in the caverns, is that once a bit of popcap opens up, all those layabouts in the tavern will petition you again. Or, upside: at popcap, all those bards will stop annoying you.

E: Has anyone made a mod yet to add a graphic/tile for sowed and growing crops? There being no difference between a fallow or planted farm plot is just wild.

Arrath fucked around with this message at 19:59 on Dec 12, 2022

simble
May 11, 2004

pisshead posted:

1. I can't make stairs anymore. The bottom part of the staircase doesn't appear, and I can't delete the top one. I think it's a bug.

For this one, if you use stair designation they have to be dug. So if there's open space on one side or the other, build stairs from the build menu instead of from the mining menu.

Appoda
Oct 30, 2013

I'm gonna let a world gen run for a bit while I take care of some work. Any interesting parameters to set to make a more varied world? Also, anything to avoid so I don't accidentally make civs go extinct or something? I'd like for races to be endemic across the main continental mass so I can get a mix of humans, elves, gobs and etc in most places.

As for my old world, I've decided to dedicate the tomb of the ~17 or so dwarves killed by a forgotten beast to their avenger, Lesastdegel the chicken. May they roost in peace.

Takuan
May 6, 2007

I was one of the people that tried Dwarf Fortress years ago, but bounced hard off of the interface and graphics. The Steam version has been great for me. After almost 2 years in my first fort I lost my first couple of Dwarfs. Might lose a third soon.

Had a glassmaker get possessed by a strange mood and I guess I didn't have the right kind of workshop he needed, he just sat in the temple for a couple months. I tried clicking on his profile to get a sense of what he wanted, but the only indication I could get was a word bubble appearing with what looked like 3 pink crystals.

So eventually he went berserk, fortunately no one else was in the temple and I could lock it up until I could assemble the fortress guard.

By the way I have no idea how to assign the fortress guards weapons, so I had to send them in bare-handed.

The possessed dwarf went into a martial trance, and the guards took him down eventually(literally knocking his teeth across the room in the process) but not without 4 of the 5 guards getting injured.

One, a fisherdwarf, was injured so badly she died on the way to my meager hospital(my Chief Medical Dwarf is someone who's only medical knowledge is "dabbling suturer", but it's the only medical skill I got). Three others were bedridden for a while but made a recovery. One remains in bed, healing, but she hasn't been able to get water due to the river freezing. I'm hoping either she'll recover before the thirst takes her(her injuries have gone from broken arm/shoulder to just a fracture), or I'll be able to get water to her from a flooded cavern I just found. This is the Fun that you guys keep talking about, right?

Mr E
Sep 18, 2007

I think I'll probably set a cap at around 125 or so because at 100 I'm already starting to get a little overwhelmed since I'm still learning a lot of basic stuff while also trying to herd 100 dwarves 25+ of which are children.

Mr E fucked around with this message at 20:23 on Dec 12, 2022

Nettle Soup
Jan 30, 2010

Oh, and Jones was there too.

On another note, I lost my first steam fort to a werellama infection and then turned them off in worldgen for all subsequent worlds.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound
I've generally found that past about 100 dwarves I run out of things for them to do. You only need so many craftsdwarves, even with backups, and once you've built the right kinds of mechanical traps there's not much left for your dwarven militia to do -- only so many dwarves can fight a forgotten beast at a time.

Mister Bates
Aug 4, 2010
I had my first semi-megabeast attack, an ettin.

I say 'attack', but that's not the correct word. The unit screen always calls attacking megabeasts something like 'Unwelcome Guest', but in this case it was actually, literally true.

The ettin spent over a month attempting unsuccessfully to kill a normal-sized wild echidna, because it kept getting 'overcome with terror' at experiencing combat, running away, regaining its confidence, and coming back. That was enough time for my militia to grab all of their equipment and assemble outside, then all come over to attack the ettin at once.

I feel really bad now, actually, because the 'fight' was just the ettin screaming for help and begging someone to come save it as the militia stabbed it to death. It took one or two ineffectual swings, which missed. No one has so much as a scratch on them.

Arrath
Apr 14, 2011

Work orders portioning out my "make 300 meals" or "carve 100 rock blocks" between workshops is a nice way to use that much population though.

That and watching the horde descend upon a new excavation's smoothing order.

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

This will make sure you don't suggest to the KDz
That he should grow greens instead of crushing on MCs

Grimey Drawer
I think at some point I'll set the max population cap to ~50 for a future fort.

Cup Runneth Over
Aug 8, 2009

She said life's
Too short to worry
Life's too long to wait
It's too short
Not to love everybody
Life's too long to hate

Hieronymous Alloy posted:

I've generally found that past about 100 dwarves I run out of things for them to do. You only need so many craftsdwarves, even with backups, and once you've built the right kinds of mechanical traps there's not much left for your dwarven militia to do -- only so many dwarves can fight a forgotten beast at a time.

Raiding :black101:

You can also be less cowardly and meet the enemy on the battlefield instead of hiding behind traps.

Friend
Aug 3, 2008

This seems like a stupid question but how can I clear these random plants out of the way to make a cavern farm? Or have I completely misunderstood the approach of cavern farming

Admiral Joeslop
Jul 8, 2010

Friend posted:

This seems like a stupid question but how can I clear these random plants out of the way to make a cavern farm? Or have I completely misunderstood the approach of cavern farming

Only way I know of would be to construct floors over top of them. I think it'll leave soil or sand behind afterwards. Not sure if flooding the room will kill them either.

Flavahbeast
Jul 21, 2001

A couple things I realized and/or remembered about the game after playing the steam release for a while:

- Dwarves for some reason seem to train worse if you manually click the 'train' button, if a squad is assigned to a barracks but left to their own devices (with or without training in their schedule) they'll do the advanced training stuff like sparring and demonstrations which work a lot better and make them happier. Supposedly squad size also makes a difference here, with smaller training squads being better

- Don't go crazy trying to fix a badly traumatized dwarf, just send them back. You'll probably get more. By the same token, if a single dwarf with no useful skills arrives with six young children you don't want them, why did they even come to a haunted glacier

Mustang
Jun 18, 2006

“We don’t really know where this goes — and I’m not sure we really care.”
Whats the deal with the floor fungus going on in the soil on my surface level cave farm rooms? Young fungiwood is starting to sprout from it.

All of my dwarf children keep getting murdered by giant parakeets. How do I protect my dwarves' children? They keep running off into the forests only to be found as corpses some time later.

Decon
Nov 22, 2015

Cup Runneth Over posted:

Love people discovering water pressure. I remember my first time flooding my fort with a well. Good times.

Even better. I've been playing on and off for over 10 years and thought I understood water pressure.

skooma512
Feb 8, 2012

You couldn't grok my race car, but you dug the roadside blur.

sebmojo posted:

gang tags all assigned, so pipe up if you want one, and have posted a story (there have been some great ones, keep them coming!)

Gang tag please?

I've been playing since 2007 when the z-level came, never used a tileset or mods other than a couple of the utilities.

My current fort on the new version I'm getting Eagle Deer coming up from the depths and I'm losing a dozen dwarfs everytime I turn around and I can't even account for why because they're getting chewed up somewhere I can't see and even the random fighters in the tavern can't stop the Eagle Deer and the Weretortoises, I even had a legendary. I formed a military squad and even the good fighters are gone. I'm sure !!FUN!! is coming and the death of this fortress :rip:. Looking forward to all the classic hits like people flinging children as missiles, flooding and magma mishaps. Had some fey moods too but I was the last to know since I just find they've taken over a workshop one day.

Setting up tombs for all these dead is a pain in the rear end. I just want to designate a graveyard with multiple coffins and have them all dumped in there, not individual tombs.

nielsm
Jun 1, 2009

Dammit. A goblin visitor, claiming to be baroness of a dwarven conquered dark pits in the opposite corner of the world, stole an artifact.
Now I'm wondering whether I should send an expedition up to there to try to get it back. It is another dwarven civ...

Mustang
Jun 18, 2006

“We don’t really know where this goes — and I’m not sure we really care.”
Finally starting to hear more of the soundtrack.

I've got like 20 bards in my tavern, a song played that sounds like they're having a hardcore jam session in there.

Gonna have to look this up and see which one it is.

edit: this one

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bhU8VdELyTE

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

nielsm posted:

Dammit. A goblin visitor, claiming to be baroness of a dwarven conquered dark pits in the opposite corner of the world, stole an artifact.
Now I'm wondering whether I should send an expedition up to there to try to get it back. It is another dwarven civ...
Sounds like you need to get fifty or sixty axe lords in masterwork steel armor ready to go.

Cup Runneth Over
Aug 8, 2009

She said life's
Too short to worry
Life's too long to wait
It's too short
Not to love everybody
Life's too long to hate

Flavahbeast posted:

A couple things I realized and/or remembered about the game after playing the steam release for a while:

- Dwarves for some reason seem to train worse if you manually click the 'train' button, if a squad is assigned to a barracks but left to their own devices (with or without training in their schedule) they'll do the advanced training stuff like sparring and demonstrations which work a lot better and make them happier. Supposedly squad size also makes a difference here, with smaller training squads being better

Yes, definitely the case. I have an aboveground barracks. If I use the Train order, dwarves will not train at all unless I designate a belowground barracks for them, whereupon they instantly flock to it. If I use staggered/continuous training, they use the aboveground barracks without issue. I usually leave them on staggered training so they can get some time off to socialize and worship occasionally.

Flavahbeast posted:

- Don't go crazy trying to fix a badly traumatized dwarf, just send them back. You'll probably get more. By the same token, if a single dwarf with no useful skills arrives with six young children you don't want them, why did they even come to a haunted glacier

You can send dwarves back? Please tell me how to ship dwarves I don't like to my hillforts.

This song rocks

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

New update just went up, I like being able to add/remove all items of a material at once now;

quote:

Major bug fixes
(+) Fixed save corruption from manual saves with case mismatch.
(+) Fixed crash when sorting pets/livestock by domestication status.
(+) Fixed crash when removing burrows from a scrollable burrow list.
(+) Fixed crash related to storing objects in recently deleted location zones.
(+) Fixed crash on squad equipment screen when there are multiple traveling squads.
(+) Fixed crash related to removing objects from display cases/pedestals.
(+) Fixed crash from looking at Groups for certain consorts.

Graphics additions/changes
(+) New graphics for werebeasts.

Audio additions/changes
(+) Updated forest, grassland, rainforest, siege ambiences.
(+) Added new wild ambience, moved old wild ambience to terrifying areas.
(+) Replaced siege horns with something less intense.

Other bug fixes/tweaks
(+) Added ability to add/remove every item of a given material when building structures that require multiple items.

(+) Holding a navigation key no longer recenters the screen during string entry.
(+) Now displays remove construction designation when designated instead of requiring unpause.

shame on an IGA
Apr 8, 2005

Mustang posted:

Whats the deal with the floor fungus going on in the soil on my surface level cave farm rooms? Young fungiwood is starting to sprout from it.

All of my dwarf children keep getting murdered by giant parakeets. How do I protect my dwarves' children? They keep running off into the forests only to be found as corpses some time later.

yeah that happens when you breach the caves soon every surface will be covered with delicious cow-sustaining mycelium (you can move all your pastures underground now)

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

If fungus has grown on a patch of land, is it now "cavern" for purposes of crop yield?

nielsm
Jun 1, 2009

Cup Runneth Over posted:

You can send dwarves back? Please tell me how to ship dwarves I don't like to my hillforts.

This is the "expel" button, can be used to kick any permanent resident out.

Radio Paranoia
Jun 27, 2010

It is now safe to turn off your computer.
I'm loving the Steam version, but alas, due to a combination of what I think were bugs as well as an unexpected monster attack, Trustedquakes has fallen.

Things were going well; steel production was starting to ramp up, food and drink were not wanting and the local tavern had a steady stream of patrons and travelling entertainers.

That is until a rather devious creature managed to infiltrate my fortress undetected and proceeded to lurk beneath the murky waters of the moat for several months. I eventually spotted it thanks to a rogue creature icon in the Unit List menu (it doesn't handle monsters very well, this one rendered as a moon) but saw it was doing nothing; just sitting there. I hastily assembled a militia to deal with the creature in case it went rogue, but another season passed with it happily burbling under the fortress bridge and my populace none the wiser, the rhythm of their boots on the drawbridge marking out the days.

Of course, I got distracted and was reminded of the interloper when the combat log started going nuts. Cloverfield-style, the creature had risen from the depths and was laying waste to anyone and anything inside my fortress walls. Including, at one point, bursting into the tavern and massacring several punters before heading back outside to continue its rampage. Three very unprepared squads later, it was finally driven out of the fortress walls and escaped into the countryside, no doubt to continue its bloody swathe elsewhere. I surveyed the damage.

Here's where the bug comes in. My dwarves absolutely refused to do anything about the myriad corpses laying around the halls and courtyard. Be it vermin, pet, elf or dwarf, bodies were left to rot out in the open instead of being taken to the relevant stockpile, tomb or dumping ground. Naturally this led to a very unhappy populace from having to step through their compatriots' viscera and inhale clouds of miasma in their day-to-day tasks.

Tombs were set up and zoned correctly. there were inside and outside zones for dumping and corpses but everything was just left to rot. Even the blood spattering, a grim reminder of the horror that unfolded previously was left to contrast neatly with the verdant green of the fields. Then the ghosts started appearing and at one point possessed one of my livestock? The inevitable tantrum spiral led to work being nigh unmanageable and several tavern brawls sent patrons packing.

On to the next one.

I'd love a gang tag if they're still going.

Cup Runneth Over
Aug 8, 2009

She said life's
Too short to worry
Life's too long to wait
It's too short
Not to love everybody
Life's too long to hate

nielsm posted:

I would never dream of expelling a dingo person

Monathin
Sep 1, 2011

?????????
?

I know someone asked this question before but I can't find it - my fort's finally big enough to get a guildhall, and I know the name of the guild that requisitioned it. Unfortunately, I don't remember which profession. Is there a place where that request lives after you accept it and I'm just dumb and can't find it? Alternatively, is there any problems with making a 'general purpose' guildhall as opposed to one specific to whatever profession nagged me about this?

StarkRavingMad
Sep 27, 2001

Yams Fan

Hieronymous Alloy posted:

Once I get past about 35 dwarves I just stop worrying about what anyone is doing. Aside from specialty jobs like miner which requires a pick, or having my siege operators stay the same so they get some training from launching catapult rocks, I just set everyone to do everything once I get a certain population balance. If they don't have a job, they're partying in the tavern or worshiping or whatever, they'll be fine.

Right now I have 197 dwarves, and only one dark orange level unhappy (and that's a kid who caught a spare ballista shot in the ribs and is still pissed about it). Three military squads set to staggered training. Everyone else is busy enough in some shape or form with all my standing work orders to not be ticked off about it, I guess.

Flavahbeast
Jul 21, 2001

nielsm posted:

Also, parents will take their children with them but orphaned children can not be expelled, another good reason to kick out dwarfs with a lot of children as soon as they arrive. Even unarmed, a berserk teenage dwarf can be shockingly deadly

NyetscapeNavigator
Sep 22, 2003

VictualSquid posted:

My biggest annoyance is that I can't assign rooms or squads to a dwarf from the dwarf details view. I have to find his name in a list that is not even alphabetical.

You CAN sort the list either alphabetically, or by profession.

beer gas canister
Oct 30, 2007

shmups are da best come play some shmups they're cheap and good and you like them
Plaster Town Cop

Cup Runneth Over posted:

Click on the right arrow when designating mining (bottom middle right) and click on AUTO to auto mine veins and stuff out so you don't need the big square.

Or continue to designate the square so that you get some stone chunks.

holy poo poo!!!!

Arrath
Apr 14, 2011

Monathin posted:

I know someone asked this question before but I can't find it - my fort's finally big enough to get a guildhall, and I know the name of the guild that requisitioned it. Unfortunately, I don't remember which profession. Is there a place where that request lives after you accept it and I'm just dumb and can't find it? Alternatively, is there any problems with making a 'general purpose' guildhall as opposed to one specific to whatever profession nagged me about this?

On the create guildhall window, you can mouse over the options and get a tooltip telling you how many members each guild has, and, I think, whether or not you have an agreement with them. In any case, if it was your first request, just scroll the list and look for which guild has more than 10 members as that's the threshold for wanting a hall.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cup Runneth Over
Aug 8, 2009

She said life's
Too short to worry
Life's too long to wait
It's too short
Not to love everybody
Life's too long to hate

Monathin posted:

It doesn't live anywhere currently. However, the guild will display its name and # of workers when you hover over the profession when assigning it to a new location, and if you select it to make the new location, the info screen will tell you if you promised to make a guildhall.