Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Just Another Lurker
May 1, 2009

A festive goatse.... from the kids. :ohdearsass:

----------------

edit:

Camrath posted:

Can confirm. My little brother went to school with her (and made out with her at least once) and apparently she was ‘target fixated’ even as a mid-teen.

Edit: she’s also upper-middle class, rather than upper class.

Somebody did her genealogy and if you go back 4-5 generations they are upper class/minor nobility with links to the royal family, though i suppose that applies to a lot of people these days. :shrug:

Just Another Lurker fucked around with this message at 18:14 on Dec 12, 2022

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kingturnip
Apr 18, 2008

Dogatron posted:

Donate if you have the inclination and funds. If not, smile at a nurse or toot your horn if you drive by a hospital on the 15th.

Going to find an appropriate comments section on the Daily Mail site and post that link for a giggle. Hopefully it will cause a stroke or two, the odd infarct and multiple attacks of angina.

I donated, if for no other reason than my trust couldn't get the turnout required to strike for any of their ballots so far.
At least this way I can support someone else to strike.

Bobby Deluxe
May 9, 2004

Angepain posted:

people complain that changing your pronouns is denying material reality but a place in glasgow calls itself "sunnyside" and nobody bats an eye
I've been thinking a lot over the last few days about how some of the more 'pronoun police' CG types seem to have this smug "you can't fool me" affect, as if trans people are trying to trick everyone, and by identifying the pronouns someone was born with, they're 'winning' some kind of game that only they are playing.

And it's like, this isn't a prank, they're not trying to own anyone - trans people are just trying to live their lives and these cunts have to pop up like an arsehole 'correcting' pronouns whenever a trans person makes themself visible so that they can feel clever. gently caress's sake.

Isomermaid
Dec 3, 2019

Swish swish, like a fish
They assume that we're ashamed of being trans, and by pointing it out they'll hurt us. Which, no.

smellmycheese
Feb 1, 2016

Great video

https://twitter.com/kuntschristmas/status/1602352749420728320?s=46&t=0vQXsZWvVW8rNzztrZN5pg

pumpinglemma
Apr 28, 2009

DD: Fondly regard abomination.

#AnyoneButTheEntireBritishPoliticalEstablishment

I hate this country so much sometimes.

fuctifino
Jun 11, 2001

https://twitter.com/CurranBoP/status/1602266849340755970

keep punching joe
Jan 22, 2006

Die Satan!
British Curling team looking good for the Olympics

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

Sorry I thought you were a landlord when I gave you your old avatar!

Just Another Lurker posted:

First worthy gf to peg the prince gets the crown.... how difficult can it be? :shrug:

Isn't that like the original story of Cinderella? But it might just have been front slipper not back slipper.

History Comes Inside! posted:

Wasn’t there some big thing about Kate making it her life’s ambition to marry him before they ever even met because like all members of the upper classes she’s a power hungry nutter?

Isn't that why all those girls studying History of Art went to St Andrews Uni anyway - with a view to pegging nailing a prince?

Jaeluni Asjil fucked around with this message at 19:01 on Dec 12, 2022

Dogatron
Jun 24, 2020

Camrath posted:

Can confirm. My little brother went to school with her (and made out with her at least once) and apparently she was ‘target fixated’ even as a mid-teen.

Edit: she’s also upper-middle class, rather than upper class.

gently caress off- she is not middle class at all. She is posh as you get. Wikipedia describe her as living in a 1 million flat with her sister prior to marrying the inbred german bastard.

In 2018, Catherine's total net worth was estimated at £5–7.3 million, most of which is from her parents' company- from wikipedia.

Dogatron fucked around with this message at 19:15 on Dec 12, 2022

Julio Cruz
May 19, 2006

History Comes Inside! posted:

Wasn’t there some big thing about Kate making it her life’s ambition to marry him before they ever even met because like all members of the upper classes she’s a power hungry nutter?

the story goes that she switched her uni choice to St Andrews after hearing that he was going there

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

Dogatron posted:

gently caress off- she is not middle class at all. She is posh as you get. Wikipedia describe her as living in a 1 million flat with her sister prior to marrying the inbred german bastard.

In 2018, Catherine's total net worth was estimated at £5–7.3 million, most of which is from her parents' company- from wikipedia.

Money <> class in the upper echelons.
I think she is probably what we used to call 'nouveau riche' and would be looked down upon by the Upper Class.

Dogatron
Jun 24, 2020
gently caress me- how did this place get so posh?

Rumours about royals and describing them as middle class.

It was always a bastion of young middleclass handwringers with degrees trying to be left wing. What is going on UKMT?

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~
Kate is new money which still means gently caress all to old money

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Rich people are weird like that to be fair.

I think it's also an age thing, had an older friend who keeps being confused by calling things "boojie" to denote excess and luxury, because she thought "bourgeois" meant basically the same thing as "common" in like, the really old sense when there was the first split between the aristocracy and the, as jaeluni says, nouveau riche, the original bourgeoisie.

Dunno if that's cos she has a masters in english lit, or age, or because I have a vague suspicion her family might have been russian aristocracy who fled the revolution :v:

Mano
Jul 11, 2012

Jaeluni Asjil posted:

Isn't that like the original story of Cinderella? But it might just have been front slipper not back slipper.

Fur Slipper I think? which is allegedly some kind of euphemism for pubic hair etc

Clarence
May 3, 2012

Upper class= thinking you're better than everyone else because of who your ancestors are

Middle class= thinking you're better than others because of how much money you have

Working class= all the rest of us

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

Gritty Cinderella reboot where the prince burns every woman's feet until he identifies his beloved

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

Also I finally got covid :confuoot:

So goongrats to the super-avoiders who managed to outdo me

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

Tesseraction posted:

I haven't succumbed yet (still wear mask in shops and on crowded pavements). I do, however, have a bad cold - first one since The Before Times.
On the other hand it gave me an excuse to binge watch series 1 of Succession over the weekend.

smellmycheese
Feb 1, 2016

“Around the turkey”

https://twitter.com/darrengrimes_/status/1602337174724440064

Dogatron
Jun 24, 2020

Jaeluni Asjil posted:

Money <> class in the upper echelons.
I think she is probably what we used to call 'nouveau riche' and would be looked down upon by the Upper Class.

Marx would not describe 12 months part time work for Jigsaw as a qualification for being working class.

How some parts of the upper class look at other parts of the upper class should not concern anybody but themselves.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

We aren't all struggling. There's lots of people who aren't struggling who I would like to see struggle.

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~

Tesseraction posted:

Congrats. I don't have COVID but I got a booster yesterday and I've spent the last 24 hours doing a speedrun of the symptoms. Finally reached the point where I just feel knackered but hey at least I got a day off work out of it (plus immunity hey ho)

WhatEvil
Jun 6, 2004

Can't get no luck.

Dogatron posted:

Marx would not describe 12 months part time work for Jigsaw as a qualification for being working class.

How some parts of the upper class look at other parts of the upper class should not concern anybody but themselves.

If you're talking solely on Marxist definitions then "Upper Class" and "Middle Class" don't come into it at all.

If you're debating Middle Class vs Upper-Middle vs. Upper then you're talking about the British class system, and within that definition, Upper Class is really just the Aristocracy.

There's some argument for putting like, 100-millionaires into that as well. It's all about who you're allowed to mix with. Somebody worth a few million quid would not typically be mixing with royalty. 1% of households in the UK have a wealth of £3.6m or more, for context.

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018
"we're all struggling" seems like exactly the kind of thing which calls for a general strike imo

NotJustANumber99
Feb 15, 2012

somehow that last av was even worse than your posting
Is all this Harry and Megan stuff a spin-off or a prequel to the crown? Haven't being paying attention

Mebh
May 10, 2010

Dunno if many remember the bizzare media frenzy leading up to Diana's death but this is so eerily reminiscent.

Camrath
Mar 19, 2004

The UKMT Fudge Baron

Dogatron posted:

Yeah, that’s ‘upper middle’. The upper class is the traditional aristocracy landowner types. Way it was explained to me was that if you’re wealthy and your money comes from a business/work then you’re upper-middle; if it’s generational or comes from owning land in its entirety (generally due to some ancestor loving a king or whatever) then that’s yer upper class types. Who are often more cash-poor than the upper middle classes.

Edit: as an example (and thought experiment) my parents were extremely wealthy, but from their professions- one was a barrister, one an accountant. Upper middle. I was raised that way, went to public school but then ended up working as a security guard/manager for much of my 20s and a good chunk of my 30s. Then spent years too sick to work, and now I make fudge, employ an apprentice to help with the cooking and several friends to help with sales and packaging. I could feasibly make a claim to be anything from underclass to upper middle class and all points j between depending on how you judge such things.

Whereas if you’re upper class then you’re upper class if you’re flat broke. It’s as much about connections/familial status as wealth.

Camrath fucked around with this message at 20:43 on Dec 12, 2022

learnincurve
May 15, 2014

Smoosh
Ok this is cool, the right wing group turning point have had their name stolen by...the YMCA

Mebh
May 10, 2010

Me, I just call them cunts.

Gorn Myson
Aug 8, 2007

Mebh posted:

My exact same thought lol

Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009

Mulla on aina kolkyt donaa taskussa

Mebh posted:

Class: Upper, No Talent

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

learnincurve posted:

Ok this is cool, the right wing group turning point have had their name stolen by...the YMCA

Please do elaborate because that sounds very funny and we all enjoy laughing at wee mad charlo

learnincurve
May 15, 2014

Smoosh

OwlFancier posted:

Please do elaborate because that sounds very funny and we all enjoy laughing at wee mad charlo

Their new slogan and appeal is turning point

Only registered members can see post attachments!

History Comes Inside!
Nov 20, 2004

They’ve been doing that for years, it’s not new

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Corgis love bread. And Puro

Dogatron posted:

Saying someone is upper middle class is not even vaguely like saying they are working class.

There has always been at least 2 class systems used in this country, both Marxian & the more cultural definition with working, middle & upper. And the latter is far more commonly used than the former so it can hardly be a shocker to hear the Middletons called upper middle.

You can argue the value of the latter system in a world where the aristocracy are not the force they once were, that is fair enough. But kidding on it's a shock to see it used

NotJustANumber99
Feb 15, 2012

somehow that last av was even worse than your posting
They're not called the Uppertons ffs

WhatEvil
Jun 6, 2004

Can't get no luck.

forkboy84 posted:

Saying someone is upper middle class is not even vaguely like saying they are working class.

There has always been at least 2 class systems used in this country, both Marxian & the more cultural definition with working, middle & upper. And the latter is far more commonly used than the former so it can hardly be a shocker to hear the Middletons called upper middle.

You can argue the value of the latter system in a world where the aristocracy are not the force they once were, that is fair enough. But kidding on it's a shock to see it used

I mean the Marxist class system was based on the British class system right? It was him looking at the British class system and saying "OK but wouldn't it tell us more about somebody's 'class', in a capitalist system, if we looked at people in terms of their relation to capital".

That's as I understand it, anyway. I haven't actually read any Marx, just secondary sources.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
Even Marx drew a distinction between the little bourgeoisie, the full bourgeoisie, and the aristocracy. Which both he and other economists drew more inspiration than they'd probably admit from Smith's three classes of 18th century Scotland; landowners (who gain wealth from the land they own and would theoretically vote in the interests of the nation were they not all thick as pigshit with heads full of idiocy), business owners (who gain wealth from productive capital and generally vote against the interests of the other two classes because gently caress you), and workers (who are fed bullshit and aren't trusted to vote).

Middletons are definitely full burg.