Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat

College professors and even some programmers are in trouble but I think bartenders are safe from ChatGPT

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat
Anyone wanna recommend a cork puller?

obi_ant
Apr 8, 2005

Why wouldn’t a regular waiter’s key work?

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
Soiled Meat
It has a plastic dingus in the middle which makes corkscrewing precarious

Scythe
Jan 26, 2004
For that I bet you want an "ah so" style cork puller. As far as I know they're all pretty much the same, but I searched around and here's a video if you haven't seen one of that type before.

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
Soiled Meat

Scythe posted:

For that I bet you want an "ah so" style cork puller. As far as I know they're all pretty much the same, but I searched around and here's a video if you haven't seen one of that type before.

Okay that brand was one of the top results on Amazon, thanks

Edit: oh wait looks like ah-so is a type, not a brand

I was already looking for that type of device, just wondering if anyone had a brand to recommend

Steve Yun fucked around with this message at 03:49 on Dec 12, 2022

Scythe
Jan 26, 2004

Steve Yun posted:

Okay that brand was one of the top results on Amazon, thanks

It's not even a brand though (at least anymore), it's just a style. I'm sure there are good ones and bad ones, but as long as it has two prongs of different lengths and isn't so lovely it breaks apart while you use it, it'll be fine.

obi_ant
Apr 8, 2005

Steve Yun posted:

It has a plastic dingus in the middle which makes corkscrewing precarious

Ah… yes… not sure why I missed that.

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here
Just break the bottle over a really fine mesh strainer and strain it into a new bottle.

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
Soiled Meat
I’ve done that for other bottles (with a coffee filter because strainers aren’t enough) but this is a nice bottle

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here
It was a joke. I had a similar issue w/ a bottle of cognac. Cork disintegrated so I just poured the whole thing through a strainer a couple times and then cleaned the hell out of the original bottle. Put it back and then topped it with a speed pourer.

Chemmy
Feb 4, 2001

Push the cork into the bottle and then pour through a strainer into another bottle.

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
Soiled Meat
I want to keep the cork out so I can give the bottle back to the person who gifted it to me

Fart Car '97
Jul 23, 2003

The cork looks a lot wider than a wine cork so an Ah-so wont work. Just jam a knife into the side of the cork and force it out

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

drill a hole in the bottom of the bottle for airflow and then suck the cork out

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?
Didn't see a dedicated soft drink thread but this thread would likely know, has cock and bull been discontinued? It disappeared completely from my area a while ago and no place seems to stock it any more. I can occasionally find some online (no idea if backstock) but several of them won't deliver to florida and the rest are comically expensive (hence the wondering if it was why the price was so high). I only kinda liked it for cocktails, which it was just fine at, but honestly I could knock it back just by itself all day long in summer

Anonymous Robot
Jun 1, 2007

Lost his leg in Robo War I
In Chicago for the weekend and touring a couple of the big spots.

Aviary serves fine drinks but is mostly about the theatricity, which is what I had expected. Kumiko, on the other hand, is really something special. Most of their drinks are remarkably restrained and delicately balanced while also managing to be nuanced and surprising.

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
Soiled Meat

Interesting. Campari stopped using cochineal for coloring in 2006. 2020’s bottle on left, 1980’s bottle on right.

Of course, age may have played a part in it being darker and more opaque too, who knows

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Chemmy posted:

Push the cork into the bottle and then pour through a strainer into another bottle.

Had that happen recently with some Pusser's rum. The knob on top of the cork broke off when pulled, and the corkscrew I was trying to use accidentally shoved it into the bottle instead. I got a metal water bottle and poured the rum through a fine strainer into it.

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
Soiled Meat
Broken corks are a sad daily reality in bone dry Los Angeles and not being rich enough to have a climate controlled liquor cellar

I welcome our synthetic cork overlords

Pander
Oct 9, 2007

Fear is the glue that holds society together. It's what makes people suppress their worst impulses. Fear is power.

And at the end of fear, oblivion.

Milo and POTUS posted:

Didn't see a dedicated soft drink thread but this thread would likely know, has cock and bull been discontinued? It disappeared completely from my area a while ago and no place seems to stock it any more. I can occasionally find some online (no idea if backstock) but several of them won't deliver to florida and the rest are comically expensive (hence the wondering if it was why the price was so high). I only kinda liked it for cocktails, which it was just fine at, but honestly I could knock it back just by itself all day long in summer

Talking about ginger beer? I see it at local stores, normal prices.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Steve Yun posted:

Broken corks are a sad daily reality in bone dry Los Angeles and not being rich enough to have a climate controlled liquor cellar

I welcome our synthetic cork overlords

And screw caps. They have a reputation as cheap but they work as well or better than real and synthetic corks for keeping bottles sealed and there's never issues with re-sealing them. I tend to buy my cheap daily drinker wine as screw caps because it makes it way more convenient to cap and put back without having to transfer into another container or get a stopper fitting properly. I'm pretty sure keeping the cork industry alive is the only reason they still get used.

Chemmy
Feb 4, 2001

The JM Rhum screw tops are lovely as hell, but I go through it fast enough that I’m not worried about evaporation.

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here

Chemmy posted:

The JM Rhum screw tops are lovely as hell, but I go through it fast enough that I’m not worried about evaporation.

I have a bottle of Rhum JM VSOP and it has a cork.

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

Carillon
May 9, 2014

I'm more recently annoyed at cocchi vermouth for being very delicious, but the rubber stopper being terrible. It's imitating a cork, but is very tight in there, and doesn't really seem to loosen much over time.

Professor Wayne
Aug 27, 2008

So, Harvey, what became of the giant penny?

They actually let him keep it.
My floor has a slight imprint of the bottom of a cocchi bottle from me trying to jam the cork back in while holding the bottle poorly. At least it didn't shatter when it hit the ground

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

haha yeah the Cocchi corks suck real bad

Strange Matter
Oct 6, 2009

Ask me about Genocide
Planning my quarterly liquor restock this week, I think I'm going to finally pull the trigger on a bottle of Absinthe.

Anonymous Robot
Jun 1, 2007

Lost his leg in Robo War I

Strange Matter posted:

Planning my quarterly liquor restock this week, I think I'm going to finally pull the trigger on a bottle of Absinthe.

Go for a 375ml of St George if it’s available. It’ll last you years.

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

Heck I've had a 200ml of St George for a good few months now

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
Soiled Meat

I don’t even like absinthe in general but I’ll make an exception for St. George

Toebone
Jul 1, 2002

Start remembering what you hear.
I keep on meaning to try different gins but good ol' Tanqueray keeps being half the price of most of them.

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

I recommend trying Citadelle it's cheap and delicious

AlexDeGruven
Jun 29, 2007

Watch me pull my dongle out of this tiny box

Toebone posted:

I keep on meaning to try different gins but good ol' Tanqueray keeps being half the price of most of them.

I love botanical gins. Once I discovered there was a gin flavor that isn't juniper I was hooked.

Strange Matter
Oct 6, 2009

Ask me about Genocide

Snow Cone Capone posted:

I'm halfway through my Citadelle and boy if it isn't absolutely heavenly.

That being said Tanqueray is shockingly good for how affordable it is. If you're on any kind of budget there's really no reason not to go for it.

Comb Your Beard
Sep 28, 2007

Chillin' like a villian.
What's the best quality to price ratio on a less juniper-y gin? Citadelle? I'm eyeing that one. I've heard St George Terroir and Botanist are good, a little more pricey.

Ever since chugging too much Bombay Sapphire in college I've had an aversion. Looking to slowly get into it.

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

also if you want to try some pretty "different" gins, Gray Whale and Gin Mare are pretty unique to the genre - be warned I personally did not like Gin Mare at all but it certainly stands out in a crowd

e: cost-wise in additon to Citadelle, Aviation is pretty good and the anise flavor kind of drowns out the juniper

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

I keep going back to Gray Whale, both because it's local to where I grew up and also because I like it and its unique flavors.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Toebone
Jul 1, 2002

Start remembering what you hear.

Snow Cone Capone posted:

Looks like my Total Wine has it in stock at the same price as Tanq, I'll check it out!