Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
The most astonishing engine performance I've heard of is that computers can play Diplomacy at the level of the best humans. Diplomacy is a 7 player free for all where it's almost impossible to accomplish anything alone, so the core game is about convincing other players to help you out, in ordinary language

https://www.science.org/doi/10.1126/science.ade9097

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

cheetah7071 posted:

The most astonishing engine performance I've heard of is that computers can play Diplomacy at the level of the best humans. Diplomacy is a 7 player free for all where it's almost impossible to accomplish anything alone, so the core game is about convincing other players to help you out, in ordinary language

https://www.science.org/doi/10.1126/science.ade9097

holy poo poo

Hand Knit
Oct 24, 2005

Beer Loses more than a game Sunday ...
We lost our Captain, our Teammate, our Friend Kelly Calabro...
Rest in Peace my friend you will be greatly missed..
Does anyone know of a program that lets you scrape chessable courses into PGNs? I know their site is basically explicitly set up to stop that, but maybe someone figured something out.

jesus WEP
Oct 17, 2004

thanks winter chess bot

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Hello, just looking for some advice; I'm not a chess player but Mum and a bunch of her friends are, and one has Parkinson's and is starting to have trouble controlling chess apps or sites, and she's asked me to look into voice-enabled chess? Googling around has me coming across a community-made chrome extension for lichess - would setting that up for them be the best choice? Are there any decent apps that'll do voice? Seems like the extension would give them the most options re: v public and also friends and also computer, but it being a community thing and not native makes me a bit leery, and also apps are just more convenient (I'd probably have to go over and set up the extension for them and then be the one to sort out any future issues if it changes)

MikeJF fucked around with this message at 21:33 on Dec 11, 2022

T.C.
Feb 10, 2004

Believe.
There's a chess boxing event happening live right now on the YouTube of some guy named Ludwig. Gotham chess is commenting and there are at least one or two matches with actual chess players. At least some of it is just gimmick random twitch streamers.

Salt Fish
Sep 11, 2003

Cybernetic Crumb

T.C. posted:

There's a chess boxing event happening live right now on the YouTube of some guy named Ludwig.

Ludwig? You mean the 2nd most famous cohost of the Super Smash Brothers: Melee commentary show "off the sticks"?

Chamale
Jul 11, 2010

I'm helping!

I'd probably last longer against Magnus Carlsen in a chess match than I would against Oleksandr Usyk at boxing. Less painful, too.

T.C.
Feb 10, 2004

Believe.

Salt Fish posted:

Ludwig? You mean the 2nd most famous cohost of the Super Smash Brothers: Melee commentary show "off the sticks"?

Which explains why the start of the event was two matches of smash melee boxing. The first one of which ended in tko part way through the first ninety second boxing round

Edit: they can't keep the feed going from the board making it impossible to follow. Both matches so far have included hilarious Queen blunders where they completely throw them away in the first move back from boxing

And a dude just forgot he was one spot away from promotion for four whole minutes

T.C. fucked around with this message at 03:29 on Dec 12, 2022

Contra Duck
Nov 4, 2004

#1 DAD

MikeJF posted:

Hello, just looking for some advice; I'm not a chess player but Mum and a bunch of her friends are, and one has Parkinson's and is starting to have trouble controlling chess apps or sites, and she's asked me to look into voice-enabled chess? Googling around has me coming across a community-made chrome extension for lichess - would setting that up for them be the best choice? Are there any decent apps that'll do voice? Seems like the extension would give them the most options re: v public and also friends and also computer, but it being a community thing and not native makes me a bit leery, and also apps are just more convenient (I'd probably have to go over and set up the extension for them and then be the one to sort out any future issues if it changes)

Disclaimer: I have no experience with this and may be talking out my rear end.

I know lichess has an option for keyboard move entry (I.e. you type “Ke2” rather than dragging pieces), so you might be able to use that with any existing dictation tools she has or the mic button on your phone/tablet. That description of that extension makes it sound pretty jank so it could be worth testing that out first.

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA
:xickos:

T.C. posted:

There's a chess boxing event happening live right now on the YouTube of some guy named Ludwig. Gotham chess is commenting and there are at least one or two matches with actual chess players. At least some of it is just gimmick random twitch streamers.

i watched part of it and its hilariously dumb lol. the andrea botz vs dina belenkaya match was actually pretty good, dina had mate in 1 but the time in that chess round ran out so she had to survive one more boxing round (she looked awful at boxing) in order for the match to last long enough to actually deliver the mate. and she deserved to lose the boxing part but the ref screwed up at the end and sort of accidentally let her survive so she ended up winning

butros
Aug 2, 2007

I believe the signs of the reptile master

the boxing rounds need to be longer if the ref is going to take forever to break the clincT and also to do the standing 8 counts.

They also need to speed things up between rounds as the transition took way too long.

Sub Rosa
Jun 9, 2010

Yeah Andrea was robbed. Match should have been over the moment the ref started the last standing 8 in the last boxing round because it was the third of the round / fourth of the match.

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA

dina demolished her on the chess side of things though

kumba
Nov 8, 2003

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

enjoy the ride

Lipstick Apathy

fart simpson posted:

dina demolished her on the chess side of things though

dina's FIDE rating is also ~500 points higher so that's not surprising

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA

the other one i watched was aman hambleton be lawrence trent. the chess was boring and it ended in the first boxing round. aman actually threw some decent punches but overall it wasn’t that good imo

Bilirubin
Feb 16, 2014

The sanctioned action is to CHUG

That all sounds stupid as hell

CubicalSucrose
Jan 1, 2013

Phantom my Opera and call me South Park: Bigger, Longer, & Uncut
Watched everything starting from the Aman/Trent match. I was much more entertained than I expected to be.

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA

Bilirubin posted:

That all sounds stupid as hell

it really is. but it’s silly fun

Huxley
Oct 10, 2012

Grimey Drawer
I've been bitten by the chess bug for the first time since dad stopped playing against me in middle school, and I want to run down my ... curriculum I guess? And see if there's anything I should be doing better.

I'm paying for a month of Dr Wolf and am beating high beginner on only a couple of take-backs and <5 blunders, usually. Should I be rigidly doing no take-backs or is it fine at this level?

I've got a copy of a Capablanca book (Chess Fundamentals) coming this week. I saw it recommended somewhere, but I know basically zero else about it.

I've watched some videos on fundamentals by a guy named John Bartholomew that seemed to make a lot of sense in the, "understand it now how do I actually do it?" sort of way.

I've played zero real games on Lichess, though I have gotten thrashed by Stockfish 1 a few times. Should I be focusing more on real games than all this computer/academic stuff?

Carbolic
Apr 19, 2007

This song is about how America chews the working man up and spits him in the dirt to die

Huxley posted:

I've played zero real games on Lichess, though I have gotten thrashed by Stockfish 1 a few times. Should I be focusing more on real games than all this computer/academic stuff?

Rather than play Stockfish, just play real people and have fun. Don't be afraid of losing. After a few games you'll get a rating that will allow Lichess to pair you up against players of similar skill. I don't know about the Dr Wolf program so I can't comment on it.

Salt Fish
Sep 11, 2003

Cybernetic Crumb

Huxley posted:

I play lichess offline AI level 1 all the time when I'm bored and have 2-3 minutes on my phone. I can beat it pretty consistently if I focus and really play thoughtful moves, but if you slip up it will mercilessly checkmate you. Essentially it is just either playing a random move or a really strong move, and I think at that level its like 3:1 in favor of very strong moves. It can be VERY disheartening to play because it will just randomly bust out 5 top AI moves and destroy you by chance.

Omnikin
May 29, 2007

Press 'E' for Medic
Play some real opponents and just commit to it. Try not to get too salty about the losses or crow-y about the wins.

Huxley
Oct 10, 2012

Grimey Drawer
OK! Take a stockfish break, go lose to some real people.

Which type should I play?

WorldIndustries
Dec 21, 2004

Huxley posted:

I wouldn't go any faster than 5 minutes but whatever is your preference is fine. Longer time controls will let you be more thoughtful about your moves which is good, but not everyone has the time for a 30 minute game. As a fellow beginner I also found that playing faster time controls helped get over my fear of playing real opponents because you can just lose and move on.

Also it's great to keep one correspondence game going at a time (the one-day per move format) just to see what it's like with unlimited time to be sure of every move.

I'd also never do any takebacks against computer or real opponents (unless it's with a friend and your/their mouse slipped)

neaden
Nov 4, 2012

A changer of ways

Carbolic posted:

Rather than play Stockfish, just play real people and have fun. Don't be afraid of losing. After a few games you'll get a rating that will allow Lichess to pair you up against players of similar skill. I don't know about the Dr Wolf program so I can't comment on it.
To expand, the issue with playing a bad AI is it will not play like a beginner chess player, it will throw in random blunders a human wouldn't make while other times playing at a level so good you might not understand why the moves are good. Dr. Wolf is programmed to be more human like but most people will agree that playing people, doing puzzles, and reading books will help you improve better.
As for time generally longer time control is better for learning.

VictualSquid
Feb 29, 2012

Gently enveloping the target with indiscriminate love.

Huxley posted:

Just choose one in the middle and then adjust as you like it. I would recommend sticking with high increment, though.
If you regularly lose track of your calculations use a faster setting. If you regularly run out of time use a slower setting.

Huxley
Oct 10, 2012

Grimey Drawer
Hey! I beat someone before I sunk below 1k. Not an awful start.

https://lichess.org/YRr7ea7Y/white

Esposito
Apr 5, 2003

Sic transit gloria. Maybe we'll meet again someday, when the fighting stops.

Huxley posted:

The sequence starting at 14...d5 with the pawn fork is sweet. Once youve been ranked to the right level, playing on chess.com or lichess is pretty satisfying, with equal share idiocy and brilliance (normally also idiocy but your opponent cant find the refutation). Good luck!

Spokes
Jan 9, 2010

Thanks for a MONSTER of an avatar, Awful Survivor Mods!
holy cow that magnus/fabi match

Esposito
Apr 5, 2003

Sic transit gloria. Maybe we'll meet again someday, when the fighting stops.
I know that the laws of chess dictate what goes up must come down, but in the last month I've increased my blitz (exclusively 5+3) rating on lichess from 1480 to 1630. Not sure what has changed, maybe opponents are more likely to be drunk as Christmas approaches, but I'm loving these heady heights. I suspect part of it has been playing more bullet (exclusively 2+1) and reducing the number of matches I lose on time. However, in both time controls I was stable at around 1450/950 and then just since the start of November I've gained ~200 points in each. Can a 200 point gain be put down to a lucky run of opponents? Have I unlocked the unused 90% of my brain and I'm on my way to becoming the next world champion? What's the deal?

Esposito fucked around with this message at 21:06 on Dec 15, 2022

big trivia FAIL
May 9, 2003

"Jorge wants to be hardcore,
but his mom won't let him"

Esposito posted:

I know that the laws of chess dictate what goes up must come down, but in the last month I've increased my blitz (exclusively 5+3) rating on lichess from 1480 to 1630. Not sure what has changed, maybe opponents are more likely to be drunk as Christmas approaches, but I'm loving these heady heights. I suspect part of it has been playing more bullet (exclusively 2+1) and reducing the number of matches I lose on time. However, in both time controls I was stable at around 1450/950 and then just since the start of November I've gained ~200 points in each. Can a 200 point gain be put down to a lucky run of opponents? Have I unlocked the unused 90% of my brain and I'm on my way to becoming the next world champion? What's the deal?

rub some luck off on me b/c i dropped over 100 points last night :(

former glory
Jul 11, 2011

Esposito posted:

In my experience, rating goes up in breakthroughs like that and then it's usually given back and sometimes more in a bad streak. BUT, the peak is usually attained again and then it eventually becomes a baseline. I think ELO behaves more like a moving average that's hopefully on an upward trend, but the raw value can oscillate by hundreds of points about that number and seem very chaotic on a short timeline.

It's kind of unnerving sometimes how you can drop hundreds and fail to see things that should be obvious (for yourself at your level), and then the next day you're seeing the patterns again just fine. I think sleep has a lot to do with it.

Redmark
Dec 11, 2012

This one's for you, Morph.
-Evo 2013
What are the funniest openings that aren't straight up trolling (as opposed to Bongcloud etc.)?
I saw the "Brooklyn variation" Alekhine: 1. e4 Nf6, 2. e5 Ng8 and for some reason I just find this hilarious. Tempted to start playing it now.

kumba
Nov 8, 2003

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

enjoy the ride

Lipstick Apathy
The traxler is pretty funny

GhostofJohnMuir
Aug 14, 2014

anime is not good

Huxley posted:

very nice game, pinning the queen at the end was a beautiful tactical move

besides starting to play online games (the beauty of the age of online chess is that you'll always wind up in a spot where your opponents are competitive), i see you've been doing some puzzles, which is good. i did notice that in your most recent puzzle session you got an equal number right and wrong. i would encourage you to think through the puzzles until you're nearly positive you have the right move(s) and aim to complete a few puzzles a day perfectly. it not only helps you memorize your basic tactics, but being very mindful helps build your board vision and innate sense for forcing sequences and moments when it's worth it to spend some time thinking

for instance, in this game 20. Qf7+ is very forcing and black is essentially lost. the engine's top line could be a bit hard to see, but the line 20...Kd8; 21. Qg8+ is at the very least winning major material with very poor king safety for black and follows a fairly straight forward sequence of moves. 20.Rae1 is not a bad move, and makes a lot of sense as an improving move, but when you have 3 pieces aimed in general vicinity of the enemy king, and the king has no pawns in front of him and only 2 pieces (1 1/2 pieces really) that can come to his defense, your puzzle sense should be telling you to spend some time looking at forcing moves on the king. the benefit to playing rapid is that you do have some time to pause and think. if you finish a 10-minute game in 32 moves with more than 5 minutes on the clock, you've kind of ended up playing a blitz game

building up the discipline to stop and see all the checks, captures, and threats on the board will help boost your rating by a couple hundred points. it's something i really struggled with (and occasionally still fail to do), but being deliberate in my puzzle sessions really helped

Huxley
Oct 10, 2012

Grimey Drawer
That's all wonderful advice, thank you!

Spokes
Jan 9, 2010

Thanks for a MONSTER of an avatar, Awful Survivor Mods!

Redmark posted:

What are the funniest openings that aren't straight up trolling (as opposed to Bongcloud etc.)?
I saw the "Brooklyn variation" Alekhine: 1. e4 Nf6, 2. e5 Ng8 and for some reason I just find this hilarious. Tempted to start playing it now.

halloween gambit! halloween gambit!

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA

Spokes posted:

halloween gambit! halloween gambit!

ive posted this before but ive got this exact same position like a dozen times with the halloween gambit

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Helianthus Annuus
Feb 21, 2006

can i touch your hand
Grimey Drawer
white to move and win. i missed it because it was 5m blitz and i was in time trouble, but i really should have found it.

code:
7k/pr1p1prp/1qp1p1pQ/4P1N1/3P4/1P3R2/P3bPPP/3R2K1 w - - 0 25

Only registered members can see post attachments!