Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dr. Fishopolis
Aug 31, 2004

ROBOT
To give you a real answer, normally when people make a mistake about language or use a word wrong and someone corrects them, they respond with "oh lmao I guess I didn't know what the word meant, sorry for being dumb and thanks for letting me know!" or something to that effect. It's not unusual or abnormal to mess up a word or a definition.

What is weird is to get defensive about it, accuse people of dogpiling you and then post this incoherent question. All you actually need to do is take a deep breath and not assume that everyone's trying to destroy you.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RPATDO_LAMD
Mar 22, 2013

🐘🪠🍆

Delphisage posted:

If I make it too specific, I'll get probed for exporting drama, won't I?

Or is asking this at all exporting drama? I'll withdraw my ask, then.

on the one hand yes but on the other hand, when you are trying to formulate a more general question, you don't understand "what you did wrong" nearly enough to actually separate the heart of the issue out into a meaningful question
as a result you end up asking mostly irrelevant questions based on your flawed understanding of the situation whose answers wont help you

RPATDO_LAMD fucked around with this message at 21:46 on Dec 12, 2022

PiratePrentice
Oct 29, 2022

by Hand Knit
Also shinto isn't a big word, it's a foreign word.

You should probably try to know the difference, and maybe google the words you use so that you can use them appropriately. And also be aware that a lot of what you believe about other cultures comes from our dumbass white christian culture stereotyping the rest of the world, and that doesn't make you an inherently bad person but it does mean that you should make an effort to educate yourself on things concerning cultures that you aren't a part of before trying to speak authoritatively about them.

BonHair
Apr 28, 2007

Delphisage posted:

How do I use big words in my vocabulary without people dogpiling me?

Very carefully.

Delphisage
Jul 31, 2022

by the sex ghost
Thank you for the advice on how to avoid attention whoring/Main Character Syndrome.

(Edited to avoid further attention whoring)

Flipperwaldt
Nov 11, 2011

Won't somebody think of the starving hamsters in China?

Here's a flowchart I have genuinely had to fall back on at times:

"I'm feeling agitated one way or another" -> "Don't post, no matter the perceived stakes"

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

A little privacy, please?
A really good strategy for remembering anything is to involve other parts of your brain and body in the remembering/memory-forming process. I'm not saying pull a full Bart Simpson, but try using a pen and paper to write down anything you need to remember. You might never look at that page again, but the motor/event memory of having written it down can help you call the memory up! You could get a moleskine and write in it, once, the phrase "Make one or two posts a day" and you'll probably see benefits.

Another part is just practice. Making habits and routines out of challenging or unintuitive social behaviors can really help, like training wheels. I'm autistic and I had to train different parts of my brain to run these kinds of social rules "in software" because my "hardware" isn't optimized for it. Practice and patience will absolutely help you recognize social cues and take action that will help you come across the way you want to be seen.

wash bucket
Feb 21, 2006

This reminds me of a guy I used to work with who could wrecking ball a conversation like nobody else. Like once a day the whole room would stop talking and turn to look at this guy because of something he said. Every time he'd look confused for a split second then he'd just giggle at himself and either try again or say, "Aw never mind."

Everyone was always happy to see that dude. Being good natured can take you pretty far if you can manage it.

Taeke
Feb 2, 2010

There's so many posts that I write out and read back (before hitting post) only to realise that it didn't actually add to the conversation. Felt good to write, maybe just to put words to my thoughts, but it wasn't actually a meaningful contribution or funny and would just be white noise, so I delete it.

No shame in that at all.

So my advice would simply to try to be more aware of that. Post less. Lurk more. Learn to read the room, and by that I mean try to recognize that not only does SA have a specific posting culture, subforums have their own little subcultures and even within that each thread is different. Hell, even within threads themselves the mood shifts. Sometimes something really funny is posted in an otherwise serious thread and it's a page of people riffing on that, emptyquoting and lmaoing for a bit before moving on getting serious again.

I've been a member since 2010 (jesus) and it took me years to feel comfortable enough to post regularly, and even now I average less than 1 post a day because I mostly read threads about fairly specific topics that I don't feel like I have the knowledge and expertise to meaningfully contribute to regularly. So I mostly just lurk, and then sometimes I get into a conversation and I post a lot for a bit but generally I don't, despite spending hours a day on this site.

So yeah, consciously ask yourself if you're really contributing something. If someone else posted what you were about to post would it be white noise you'd scroll past or seem out of place? If so, don't post and move on.

It's in the rules for a reason and it's why 'lurk more' has become a catch phrase.

Fruits of the sea
Dec 1, 2010

Seth Pecksniff posted:

[*] Before you post, please ask yourself the following question: "Am I making a post that is funny, informative, or interesting on any level?" While GBS does embody the :justpost: mentality, you should put at least a modicum of thought into the words that are flowing from your brain to your keyboard before smashing that post button.

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

I'm nae the voice o' the darkened thistle, but th' darkened thistle cannae bear the sight o' our Bonnie Prince Bernie nae mair.
I've got a package of vacuum sealed British style back bacon. How long does it last in the fridge?

PiratePrentice
Oct 29, 2022

by Hand Knit

Teriyaki Hairpiece posted:

I've got a package of vacuum sealed British style back bacon. How long does it last in the fridge?

Up to ten days or so, but I'd call it better to put it in the freezer if you're not planning on eating it in less than a week, vacuum sealing will keep it fresh in the freezer for quite a long time.

I guess it also depends on how long it was on the shelf before you bought it too.

Smirking_Serpent
Aug 27, 2009

Delphisage posted:

If I make it too specific, I'll get probed for exporting drama, won't I?

Or is asking this at all exporting drama? I'll withdraw my ask, then.

You can post in the drama/saga thread, it accepts drama imports

dokmo
Aug 27, 2006

:stat:man
How did age-of-sail era sailors get horses into and out of the hold of a ship?

wash bucket
Feb 21, 2006

dokmo posted:

How did age-of-sail era sailors get horses into and out of the hold of a ship?

The Russians just used sea horses.

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com
:roboluv: :love: :roboluv:

RPATDO_LAMD posted:

poking around more, is it possible you used https://www.whohasaccess.com/ last time?

I'm certain I didn't use this and there are some security concerns around it (but probably not a big deal). I didn't use a third-party app or website. This shouldn't be this hard and it's almost unbelievable google hasn;t addressed this. It's driving me crazy!

Hyperlynx
Sep 13, 2015

Delphisage, I think the E/N forum would probably be a better fit for the kind of questions you've been posting lately (ie, how to do social stuff good). Not that the responses you're getting here aren't good advice, but I think you're likely to get even better advice there. And you can make your own thread and ask all the questions you need to ask without feeling like you'd be taking over a thread, or importing drama, or whatever.

Edit: also, good on you for asking and learning! Nobody likes being wrong, or being told they got something wrong, and not grasping social stuff suuuuucks. Keep at it, though. Things do get better.

Anyway, unrealated:

I've got an old computer case I want to get rid of because it's taking up space, preferably by recycling it and preferably without schlepping to a place that takes e-waste. Can I just break all the plastic off, remove all the wires so that it's nothing but the bare steel is left, and then put that in my ordinary municipal recycling? I mean, they take metal cans and such, right?

Hyperlynx fucked around with this message at 23:39 on Dec 12, 2022

CzarChasm
Mar 14, 2009

I don't like it when you're watching me eat.

Hyperlynx posted:

Anyway, unrealated:

I've got an old computer case I want to get rid of because it's taking up space, preferably by recycling it and preferably without schlepping to a place that takes e-waste. Can I just break all the plastic off, remove all the wires so that it's nothing but the bare steel is left, and then put that in my ordinary municipal recycling? I mean, they take metal cans and such, right?

You might have to check with your local waste disposal company and see what their rules are, but yes, if all you have left is the steel shell, they should take that.

That being said, most cities will have semi-annual "drop off your electronics recycling free of charge" events. Yeah, you'd have to wait, but if it's not an immediate concern it might be worth the headache of avoiding the complete disassembly you described.

Hyperlynx
Sep 13, 2015

CzarChasm posted:

You might have to check with your local waste disposal company and see what their rules are, but yes, if all you have left is the steel shell, they should take that.

That being said, most cities will have semi-annual "drop off your electronics recycling free of charge" events. Yeah, you'd have to wait, but if it's not an immediate concern it might be worth the headache of avoiding the complete disassembly you described.

Good point, I should probably just ask them or look it up...

In my case I'd like to get rid of it sooner rather than later, all the working components are already gone, and tbh I think it'll be fun to take a hammer to the plastic housing. And a hacksaw to the metal, if I need to get it smaller :rms:

Ironhead
Jan 19, 2005

Ironhead. Mmm.

Is there a way in the awful app to search for your posts? I feel like I have a bad habit of drive by poo poo posting when I'm drunk and then never go back.

Taeke
Feb 2, 2010

Ironhead posted:

Is there a way in the awful app to search for your posts? I feel like I have a bad habit of drive by poo poo posting when I'm drunk and then never go back.

Other than it being added to your bookmarks if it's a new thread for you (or is that an option you have to toggle?) I don't think so. But also if you weren't probed or whatever I wouldn't worry about it too much lol.

Hyperlynx
Sep 13, 2015

Ironhead posted:

Search by username is probably your best bet

MyronMulch
Nov 12, 2006

Flipperwaldt posted:

"I'm feeling agitated one way or another" -> "Don't post, no matter the perceived stakes"

This goes doubly so for any sort of email or chat in a work situation!

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

A man becomes preeminent, he's expected to have enthusiasms.

Enthusiasms, enthusiasms...
is awful search any better or is the meme still ringing true

Hyperlynx
Sep 13, 2015

Alan Smithee posted:

is awful search any better or is the meme still ringing true

Seems fine to me

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
Awful search is competent at finding keywords and in limiting results by date, username, and so on.

It doesn’t do “automagic” like Google where it will decide that people who searched for “dog” are also interested in pages about “hounds” and “canines”, and it can’t sort results by any kind of a relevancy metric.

My real problem with it is that it simply fails to index maybe one percent of posts seemingly at random. I know that these posts exists, I know the keywords in them, and I can go look at them if I know what thread they are in and page they are on, but they’ll never be delivered as results.

Platystemon fucked around with this message at 04:19 on Dec 13, 2022

butt dickus
Jul 7, 2007

top ten juiced up coaches
and the top ten juiced up players

Ironhead posted:

if you're on android, tap the top right three dots and then "admire my posts." if you're on ios i have no idea the apps are made by different people

Kenning
Jan 11, 2009

I really want to post goatse. Instead I only have these🍄.

True posting is not in the post history. True posting is in all the tabs that were closed before the posts were submitted.

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

Flipperwaldt posted:

This is an insanely good posting rubric

Hyperlynx
Sep 13, 2015

butt dickus posted:

if you're on android, tap the top right three dots and then "admire my posts." if you're on ios i have no idea the apps are made by different people

That's only in the current thread, though.

greazeball
Feb 4, 2003

Outrail posted:

I'm certain I didn't use this and there are some security concerns around it (but probably not a big deal). I didn't use a third-party app or website. This shouldn't be this hard and it's almost unbelievable google hasn;t addressed this. It's driving me crazy!

You still can't copy a folder in Google Drive without third-party apps, a rational user management system is pure fantasy at this point

artsy fartsy
May 10, 2014

You'll be ahead instead of behind. Hello!
Pretend I have a cup of liquid with a pH of 4, and add something (let's say soda ash) to raise it exactly to 5. Now say I have another cup of liquid with a pH of 7. If I add the exact same amount of soda ash, will it raise it exactly to 8, or will it need more/less soda ash?

The numbers themselves don't matter.

YggiDee
Sep 12, 2007

WASP CREW
PH is a logarithmic scale, so if I understand it correctly something with PH of 5 is ten times more acidic than PH 6, which is ten times more acidic as PH 7, and so on.

Slimy Hog
Apr 22, 2008

artsy fartsy posted:

Pretend I have a cup of liquid with a pH of 4, and add something (let's say soda ash) to raise it exactly to 5. Now say I have another cup of liquid with a pH of 7. If I add the exact same amount of soda ash, will it raise it exactly to 8, or will it need more/less soda ash?

The numbers themselves don't matter.
I'm no expert here but I do know that the pH scale is logarithmic so I don't think it will work like that, and how much more/less is going to depend on the numbers.

I found this graph for ash that kinda shows this.

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Veteran, Bermuda Triangle Expeditionary Force, 1993-1952

MyronMulch posted:

This goes doubly so for any sort of email or chat in a work situation!

When you're writing an email with any sort of controversy in it or that could get you in trouble or is going to people way over your head, don't address it until you're done. Re-read, edit, take a break to think about it, re-read it again, and only when you're sure you're sending it, add the addresses. This saves you from accidentally sending something important before you're absolutely sure.

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

I spent four years making
Waves of Steel
Hell yes I'm going to turn my avatar into an ad for it.
Fun Shoe

mllaneza posted:

When you're writing an email with any sort of controversy in it or that could get you in trouble or is going to people way over your head, don't address it until you're done. Re-read, edit, take a break to think about it, re-read it again, and only when you're sure you're sending it, add the addresses. This saves you from accidentally sending something important before you're absolutely sure.

Ideally, wait until the next day to send it. But definitely never send an email when you're angry or otherwise in the grip of a strong emotion.

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

I think I died and woke up in L.A.,
I don't know how I wound up in this place...

:canada:
Can anyone fluent in Lithuanian translate this please? Been going through my grandmother's album today.

Flipperwaldt
Nov 11, 2011

Won't somebody think of the starving hamsters in China?

Mister Facetious posted:

Can anyone fluent in Lithuanian translate this please? Been going through my grandmother's album today.

Curiosity got the better of me while waiting for someone who speaks Lithuanian.

Už horizonto lyg laivai
Pranyksta metai,
O dienos gęsta
Blyksinčiais žaibais…
Tegu akimirkos džiaugsmingos retos
Lyg stebuklingas žiedas išsiskleis

is an almost perfectly matching transcription I found on this page with a title that translates as "beautiful words happy birthday".

The google translation gives the gist of it, I guess

Like ships over the horizon
years pass
And the days are fading
Flashing lightning…
Let the moments of joy be rare
Like a magic ring will unfold

on the occasion of name day

Trapick
Apr 17, 2006

What's the best/simplest screen sharing and/or remote login software these days? Gotta help out an older non-technical relative with basic computer stuff. It used to be join.me was good for this, looks like it got bought out and is more complicated, is that still the best bet?

edit: on Mac

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Every second that we're not growing BASIL is a second wasted

Fun Shoe

Trapick posted:

What's the best/simplest screen sharing and/or remote login software these days? Gotta help out an older non-technical relative with basic computer stuff. It used to be join.me was good for this, looks like it got bought out and is more complicated, is that still the best bet?

edit: on Mac

If you iMessage them on another mac there’s a screensharing option