Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dr. Stab
Sep 12, 2010
👨🏻‍⚕️🩺🔪🙀😱🙀

totalnewbie posted:

You could just set it to remote storage and accomplish the same thing.

That's only single sure.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cimber
Feb 3, 2014
I hope the Dark Fog update comes sometime early in '23, because I'm waiting to go through another run of DSP, but i don't want to start one now and have the patch drop.

Plus I'm in the middle of satisfactory and thats sucking up my time right now.

LonsomeSon
Nov 22, 2009

A fishperson in an intimidating hat!

zoux posted:

I have never found a steel set up I like, what do you guys do? With that production time, can you beat a simple 1-to-1

I used to just pass directly from Iron to Steel furnace, but with spray involved I now send Iron ingots back down their stack to be sprayed and loop back up into an identically-sized stack of Steel furnaces. Once I'm putting down all-logistics tower blocks, it becomes important to build enough Iron blocks that they can keep up with the Steel block, which due to belt throughput and crafting time can be substantially larger than an individual Iron block.

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos

zoux posted:

I have never found a steel set up I like, what do you guys do? With that production time, can you beat a simple 1-to-1
There's not many to have an opinion on. Either you tower in ore and make it in 2 steps or you tower in ingots and make it in 1 step. Daisy chain assembler to assembler is no longer ideal as you don't get to spray your sprayed spray so the latter 1 step option is probably 'correct' short of using the former to make sure you aren't undersupplying ingots overall in the whole supply chain. You need a belt to hold all the ingots for the entire steel stack somewhere to spray it all so its not like one method gets better compression either way.

Duzzy Funlop
Jan 13, 2010

Hi there, would you like to try some spicy products?

I have 350 hours in this game and just now found out you can switch modes on splitters.
I also have about 100 hours in playthroughs since spray became a thing and just found out you can just continue belts through proliferators.

:cripes:

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Read a post about blueprints on reddit and I wanted to ask yall: how extensive is your blueprint collection? How much is homemade and how much did you snake from DSPBP? What's your earliest game BP

Wafflecopper
Nov 27, 2004

I am a mouth, and I must scream

I just recently played my first run since they were added. Only really dabbled in them. The first one I made was an IPL mining outpost setup with some deuterium plants and import settings for rods, warpers, and spray. Also ended up making some for smelter arrays and a modular one for expanding my row of white science towers towards the end. If I’d played on into the late late game and started throwing spheres up in every system then I’d probably have used them a lot more as I scaled everything up.

The only blueprint I got from online was one for my sphere because I did that manually last time and gently caress doing it again. I don’t really see the point if you’re grabbing all the super optimised designs other people have uploaded because are you even really playing the game at that point? If that’s how others enjoy DSP then power to them but to me that’s like using a walkthrough all the way through a puzzle game.

Wafflecopper fucked around with this message at 23:29 on Dec 8, 2022

GD_American
Jul 21, 2004

LISTEN TO WHAT I HAVE TO SAY AS IT'S INCREDIBLY IMPORTANT!

zoux posted:

Read a post about blueprints on reddit and I wanted to ask yall: how extensive is your blueprint collection? How much is homemade and how much did you snake from DSPBP? What's your earliest game BP

I stole it all. My ADHD is no match for an autistic Chinese dude with Excel wizardry.

Ice Fist
Jun 20, 2012

^^ Please send feedback to beefstache911@hotmail.com, this is not a joke that 'stache is the real deal. Serious assessments only. ^^

zoux posted:

I'd never, ever use someone else's blueprint. *Especially* in this game.

I haven't started a game from scratch with BPs. My current major save got them mid-game. I find that I will approach a problem - build a section that reasonably completes a percentage of a goal and then copy/paste it until the goal is met. So I have a variety of random blueprints. They're named somewhat helpfully, but aren't really categorized or anything.

You should see my ever growing satisfactory blueprint list... I'll probably have hundreds by the time I finish a playthrough.

Icon Of Sin
Dec 26, 2008

My earliest blueprint is the Mk1 belts and Mk1 sorters. Gotta start that ride early! :getin:

Part of the fun for me in this game is designing the blueprints. Do I want to dedicate entire lines to producing a single product, or just chain together enough of my small lines to put in various ingots and spit out quantum chips? its the second one

It’s almost a mini-game to see how small I can make a factory footprint, and still produce a workable amount of products.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Yeah, you can divide planets evenly as such:

So I made that template to force me to design efficiently. The big zones are for chemical stuff, the small ones for all other factories. I have plenty of non-standard designs that I put in the other regions, and then some just huge fuckers that have to be on the equator and don't conform, but I have almost every other product within those lines. The only stuff I swipe is pain in the rear end placements like equatorial solar rings, or ray receiver rings, stuff where it's a dead simple build that you just have to keep iterating. Oh and dyson swarms and spheres of course.

Oh also I've been messing around with very small, accurate ratio black boxes using the new logistics to bridge red to yellow, especially the motor chain, which is the most intensive production line early game

2 mag coils, 2 engines, 1 turbine and 1 super mag will get you 6/s. And you can just cram them where ever you can fit them in as long as you're mindful of bot range

I have blueprints for like everything

zoux fucked around with this message at 00:59 on Dec 9, 2022

WithoutTheFezOn
Aug 28, 2005
Oh no
I only use a couple (conceptually).

One is a weird multiple fractionators with double loops and a piler thing that I built myself but stole the idea from someone (probably Nilaus).

The rest are all just variations of smelting blocks + tower, just to save effort.

With being able to copy and paste chunks I don’t really feel a need for more.

Vasler
Feb 17, 2004
Greetings Earthling! Do you have any Zoom Boots?

zoux posted:

I use other people's blueprints all the time because I'm terrible at visualizing things.

VictualSquid
Feb 29, 2012

Gently enveloping the target with indiscriminate love.
I just finished my first game in a long time, and I used nilious blueprints for most of it.
Though a lot of them really annoyed me and I ended up building my own anyways. Mostly because he ships different goods then I do. I like shipping circuits, processors and graphite between stars and he prefers to ship plates and build them locally.

But, smelters are just boring to setup and count. Any I built on my own would look exactly the same with just slightly different belt arrangements. Same with the fractionators and one step products like blue engines.
The make everything hub is just annoying to plan efficiently on your own, so I just used his. And even after modifying it, I would have to break it into micro blueprints to use it in an eventual new game. And that is assuming that the recipes don't change until I do my next game.

LonsomeSon
Nov 22, 2009

My earliest-game blueprints are a stuff like a tilable set of four no-recipe-set smelters with sorters, input and output belts, clustered around a power pole. I have tilable 4-assembler blocks as well, set up for 1, 2, or 3 input lines. These were saved with MkII assemblers and MkIII belts, but the downgrade tool lets them easily convert to early-game-only equipment. The idea is to lay out and configure one tile, then copy it until I'm making the number of widgets per second I'm looking for.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

I probably play this game really weird compared to the rest of yall because I start a new planet nearly every weekend and rarely even get to white science before I get bored or frustrated and want to start over clean, but that means I have a really good grasp of the way this game progresses and develops and the way that the scope and gameplay and strategies change as you move up the science ladder is quite unlike anything I've seen. I guess I'd compare it to Spore? You start digging rocks out of the ground and end with an interstellar empire consuming the total energy output of suns, but there are a lot of clearly defined steps/phases as you move through tech. First you're limited to one planet, then a system, then a couple of systems, then a whole cluster, and your requirements and goals change as the scope does. I've noted this before, I think, but I've been thinking about the comment yesterday from someone who didn't really like blueprints because - and he's correct here - a big part of DSPs appeal is the puzzle aspect of putting things together. But as you move up, these blueprints become the puzzle pieces, and the game changes from "how many smelters can I feed from one ILS" to "how many 4 x 30 smelter set ups do I need to support my [x] production" to "how many planets making one thing do I need to support my [x10] production. I'm not calling the dude out, I certainly redesign things I got prints for because it's fun to do! but I'd say its another example of this game stepping up its scope an order of magnitude as you work up.

Cimber
Feb 3, 2014
I think one of the hardest lessons I had to learn was that the first planet is disposable. (At least to me). I took the mindset that it and that system existed solely to be able to research ISLs, and after I reach that milestone I basically abandon it and recreate everything on specialized planets.

Wafflecopper
Nov 27, 2004

OTOH in both my runs I kept it as my manufacturing centre, importing all my ore from mining outposts on other systems. I’d never be able to keep track of things if I had different planets making different poo poo.

OGS-Remix
Sep 4, 2007

Totally surviving on my own. On LAND!
Did they break something about r2modman? I started it up but now it can't detect my Dyson Sphere program installation. The games/server page is just blank after starting up the program. Has anyone else had something happen like this?

DrHammond
Nov 8, 2011

Reaching the midpoint of my first real playthrough (after abandoning spaghetti factory 1.0 a few hours in).

QQ- I dont seem to have enough soil pile to fully cueball my starting planet. Is it a given that I will have some unfilled oceans, or is there some other way of getting soil pile? (Soil pile is per planet, right? Can't take soil from the arid desert in system to my starter? Sorry, phone posting from work.)

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Any construction on tiles that have heights greater than 1 give you soil. So, the legit way is to take something with a bigass footprint, like a matrix lab or a collider, and put it down on some land that is raised above 0 and you do it over and over and over. Or get a loving mod because the soil pile mechanic is the stupidest one in the game. Second is the entire foundation system itself.

WithoutTheFezOn
Aug 28, 2005
Oh no
No you have a Bag of Holding for soil. Go to a hilly planet, suck up a million soil, and use it on whatever planet you like.

Wafflecopper
Nov 27, 2004

the mechanic is tedious but it's thematically appropriate that we're bulldozing the swiss alps to fill in the med and cover it in engine factories

DrHammond
Nov 8, 2011

Setting up foundation factories was simple enough, good to know that I do in fact have an interplanetary bag of holding though! I always had pretty much 0 soil when I visited my lava forge planet so never realized it was coming with me. Have to terraform ALL the stupid oceans!

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Another huge problem with foundations is the stack size. You request 10000 of any item in the game and that is going to fill your inventory, it's only 10 stacks of foundation and you are going to use it up fast. You can be more sparing by putting 3x3 squares one square away from the shore, but you wanna talk tedious

VictualSquid
Feb 29, 2012

Gently enveloping the target with indiscriminate love.
The only time I ever noticed the soil pile count was after a fresh start, where it turned out that my starting area was very watery and flat.I had almost no soil until after I started travelling between planets. It was annoying.

DrHammond
Nov 8, 2011

I mean, I'm flattening as I go, factory blueprint by factory blueprint, and give too few shits about aesthetics to have to completely cover the bare earth. Having 3-5k on hand and wildly click dragging my mouse around with 2x2 foundations is more than enough to plop down a BP.

I'm just bugged right now because without importing soil, like 1/4 of my planet is un-blueprintable marshland and ocean and my factories are REALLY starting to scale up.

Wafflecopper
Nov 27, 2004

I just turn foundation decorations off so it's aesthetically pleasing without having to cover every last tile in foundation

Less Fat Luke
May 23, 2003

Exciting Lemon
God this is the worst part of the blueprint system:

Like is there some anti-pattern I keep doing? Are the sprayers too close to the tower? I built up a huge blueprint book and half of them don't work unless they're right next to the equator.

WithoutTheFezOn
Aug 28, 2005
Oh no

Less Fat Luke posted:

Are the sprayers too close to the tower?
Looks like it to me. Looks like the conveyor doesn’t have enough room to “turn” into the tower connection.

Less Fat Luke
May 23, 2003

Exciting Lemon
That's what I get for being too compact I guess, good to know thanks.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

I see you're using the centered tower method. Like a psychopath.

One thing you can do is R-click off the sprayers and it'll let you put it down, then you can go back and put in the sprayers

zoux fucked around with this message at 02:49 on Dec 16, 2022

Less Fat Luke
May 23, 2003

Exciting Lemon
LOL yeah most of my newer stuff is oriented in only one direction off the towers, thanks for the BP modification tip.

DrHammond
Nov 8, 2011

I like center-tower for high volume/throughput components, and one-direction for the more advanced manufacturing. Refineries v.s. Factories I guess. Just makes sense and feels right, usually good for belt numbers as well.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

What's the biggest mag coil/green circuit set up you can make? I 'm feeding multiple lines in here and it's still too short. I'm trying for a standard length here!!

Icon Of Sin
Dec 26, 2008

I’ve done a set of 30 assemblers making green motors (2 sets of 15, fed from the same tower), but I had 2 sets of 30 each making electric motors to feed it, and maybe 90 electromagnets (2 sets of 45/3 sets of 15 apiece assemblers apiece) feeding that.

I did 15 assemblers per line as my limit because that’s how many you can auto-build by click/drag in a row (outside of blueprints), and going too much further doesn’t do you any good if all the resources are taken off the line before the end.

LonsomeSon
Nov 22, 2009

zoux posted:

What's the biggest mag coil/green circuit set up you can make? I 'm feeding multiple lines in here and it's still too short. I'm trying for a standard length here!!

You can get 15 mkII assemblersworth of either of these recipes from the same set of mkIII belts. Each of them has a 2/s input and outputs 2 items/s at 1 speed. Together these items are sort of the first "you have to be paying attention to how these numbers relate to your ability to move things around in the game world" check in the progression of the game.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Yeah, the fast production is the problem, I'm trying to get all my assembly factories to fit within a certain area and I got these squat little coil factories loving up my symmetry

This is as much production as I've been able to get out of a single ILS setup, the square below is the standard I'm trying to adhere to

Now I've found faster ones on DSP blueprints but they're using belt glitches and poo poo and that's not what I'm into. Anyone see a way to squeeze more out of my design besides adding a second ILS - at which point i'll just stamp the blueprint twice

WithoutTheFezOn
Aug 28, 2005
Oh no
If looks is the big deal, then you could have the same output but longer lines if you drop down to T2 assemblers, right?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Well it's more that I'm trying to get as much production as possible. If that's the most, then that's the most because I can't see anything else to do with it, not with just one output slot left. Well I guess I got two, hmmmm