Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Salt Fish
Sep 11, 2003

Cybernetic Crumb
The Bahamians let him finish his interview with Molly White and crew before arresting him. Here is about 2 hours prior:

https://twitter.com/molly0xFFF/status/1602454367268921344

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PhazonLink
Jul 17, 2010
lol I hope he backed himself up with an NFT of himself that says "me jail free forever."

MEIN RAVEN
Oct 7, 2008

Gutentag Mein Raven

Sam Bank-run hosed-up

LifeSunDeath
Jan 4, 2007

still gay rights and smoke weed every day
Code is law, and that law says you're about to get 35 years in federal prison.

Ups_rail
Dec 8, 2006

by Fluffdaddy
Uh he was gonna testify tomorrow. Wonder if someone decided to shut that down.

Navaash
Aug 15, 2001

FEED ME

This will be funnier if you know anything about Hypnospace Outlaw

Guze
Oct 10, 2007

Regular Human Bartender

Ups_rail posted:

Uh he was gonna testify tomorrow. Wonder if someone decided to shut that down.

He's done nothing but talk for a month

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

It's okay if you have any questions.

https://twitter.com/kaitlancollins/status/1602451103039340546

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

Born dumb, lived dumb, gonna die dumb.

Salt Fish
Sep 11, 2003

Cybernetic Crumb
The sound clip includes him saying "I haven't done a deep dive on that" (if he will be arrested).

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug

Guze posted:

He's done nothing but talk for a month

I'm sure the US Prosecutors appreciate his hard work.

TheOneAndOnlyT
Dec 18, 2005

Well well, mister fancy-pants, I hope you're wearing your matching sweater today, or you'll be cut down like the ugly tree you are.
Powerful "quote from man stabbed" energy.

Dewgy
Nov 10, 2005

~🚚special delivery~📦

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe

What a clever inside joke. These guys sound like a bunch of fun loving pals, just innocently clowning around with each other having a good time.

ArbitraryC
Jan 28, 2009
Pick a number, any number
Pillbug

The part that confuses me about this saga is that the government continues to allow crypto stuff in general to be a thing. Like how many admittedly dumb americans need to lose their life savings and homes to this stuff before it's just generally outlawed? Outside of its history of predominately being used for illegal purchases or money laundering, even the most well intentioned "investors" are either just gambling on a speculative bubble or walking face first into ponzi schemes.

Is it just that there's too much money in the system already and people "invested" are essentially hostages cause let's be real there's no way everyone is gonna be able to cash out anyways so feels like you might as well amputate that limb before the infection spreads.

fast cars loose anus
Mar 2, 2007

Pillbug

NYT posted:

Prosecutors for the Southern District of New York confirmed that Mr. Bankman-Fried had been charged and said an indictment would be unsealed on Tuesday. Separately, the Securities and Exchange Commission said in a statement that it had authorized charges “relating to Mr. Bankman-Fried’s violations of our securities laws.”

The criminal charges against Mr. Bankman-Fried included wire fraud, wire fraud conspiracy, securities fraud, securities fraud conspiracy and money laundering, said a person with knowledge of the matter.

I'm thinking those rumors of Caroline Ellison flipping were true, besides the obvious "just casually admitting to crimes" he's been doing

Tippecanoe
Jan 26, 2011

ArbitraryC posted:

The part that confuses me about this saga is that the government continues to allow crypto stuff in general to be a thing. Like how many admittedly dumb americans need to lose their life savings and homes to this stuff before it's just generally outlawed? Outside of its history of predominately being used for illegal purchases or money laundering, even the most well intentioned "investors" are either just gambling on a speculative bubble or walking face first into ponzi schemes.

Is it just that there's too much money in the system already and people "invested" are essentially hostages cause let's be real there's no way everyone is gonna be able to cash out anyways so feels like you might as well amputate that limb before the infection spreads.

Besides that SBF made the egregious mistake of ripping off rich people, there's also the fact that he keeps discussing his crimes in incredibly public forums:

https://twitter.com/renato_mariotti/status/1602452993328152576

bobjr
Oct 16, 2012

Roose is loose.
🐓🐓🐓✊🪧

https://twitter.com/alicefromqueens/status/1595047098218602496?s=46&t=8ilqThChtCp_d-JRNmaf5g

Cabbages and VHS
Aug 25, 2004

Listen, I've been around a bit, you know, and I thought I'd seen some creepy things go on in the movie business, but I really have to say this is the most disgusting thing that's ever happened to me.

ArbitraryC posted:

The part that confuses me about this saga is that the government continues to allow crypto stuff in general to be a thing. Like how many admittedly dumb americans need to lose their life savings and homes to this stuff before it's just generally outlawed?

Ten years ago I thought this was the inevitable trajectory it's gotten increasingly rolled into parts of the normal economy (Et tu, Fidelity?) and made subject to taxation and other ways of governments getting a slice, at the same time that authorities have increasingly realized that they can seize a ton of assets that don't need to be auctioned and also the fact that block ledgers leave a permanent record of every transaction forever, means that the data is there for the mining and this has been used to meticulously take apart multiple criminal organizations using crypto piggy banks.

It's not, yet, so baked into the economy that it can't fail. It could all come untethered and crash down overnight. At some point, it either goes to zero-or-close-enough, or, it becomes such a huge part of the general financial apparatus with much of it held by the same interests who hold most other forms of capital that it is actually "too big to fail".

I'd still bet against it, long term, but so far I've been wrong about that both in terms of Bitcoin and Magic cards. It wouldn't shock me if they both went to zero around the same time during some kind of major financial unraveling, possibly as soon as next Tuesday.

Unperson_47
Oct 14, 2007

The past 3 months really have been quite fruitful for harvesting lmaos on multiple fronts.

HappyHippo
Nov 19, 2003
Do you have an Air Miles Card?

fast cars loose anus posted:

I'm thinking those rumors of Caroline Ellison flipping were true, besides the obvious "just casually admitting to crimes" he's been doing

Wasnt she seen around NY not long ago?

Sardonik
Jul 1, 2005

if you like my dumb posts, you'll love my dumb youtube channel

Navaash posted:

At least Dylan was trying to bring the joy of a bad car game into the world. :colbert:

fast cars loose anus
Mar 2, 2007

Pillbug

HappyHippo posted:

yeah pictures of (what was claimed to be) her in a coffee shop circulated last week or the week before and the barista at said shop said it was

I assume that that's what had to happen because even with all his tweeting and nonsense, to actually build a case requires details and you don't get that this fast without an insider spilling. This is also where the info on the 'Wirefraud' Signal group comes from I'll bet.

HappyHippo
Nov 19, 2003
Do you have an Air Miles Card?

This seems like a big deal too

Seth Pecksniff
May 27, 2004

can't believe shrek is fucking dead. rip to a real one.

lol at their only defense being "you'll just make a bad situation worse!!"

LanceHunter
Nov 12, 2016

Beautiful People Club

Salt Fish posted:

The Bahamians let him finish his interview with Molly White and crew before arresting him. Here is about 2 hours prior:

https://twitter.com/molly0xFFF/status/1602454367268921344

Hearing all that mouse-clicking in the background and I can't help but wonder if the idiot was playing League of Legends the whole time...

acidx
Sep 24, 2019

right clicking is stealing
As funny as this SBF saga is, it will be nothing compared to CZ if binance goes down. Would be like a looney tunes bit. Like he pushed SBF off a cliff and wipes his hands and starts to walk away but ope, turns out he was tied to SBF with a rope because of course he was. It's all fuckin crypto you idiot. What did you think would happen if you blew up one of the largest exchanges lol.

kw0134
Apr 19, 2003

I buy feet pics🍆

"You can't prosecute Al Capone, it'll take down the already fragile network of speakeasies and rumrunners!"

ArbitraryC
Jan 28, 2009
Pick a number, any number
Pillbug

Cabbages and Kings posted:

Ten years ago I thought this was the inevitable trajectory it's gotten increasingly rolled into parts of the normal economy (Et tu, Fidelity?) and made subject to taxation and other ways of governments getting a slice, at the same time that authorities have increasingly realized that they can seize a ton of assets that don't need to be auctioned and also the fact that block ledgers leave a permanent record of every transaction forever, means that the data is there for the mining and this has been used to meticulously take apart multiple criminal organizations using crypto piggy banks.

What does the fed do with all their crypto seizures anyways? Are they just sitting on them or do they sell them? Would a 50k or 70k coin haul like in the silk road story affect the market if they cashed them out at once?

fast cars loose anus
Mar 2, 2007

Pillbug
the thought did occur to me that DoJ recognizes an opportunity to kill this off once and for all and never have to deal with it again

EoinCannon
Aug 29, 2008

Grimey Drawer
Is Binance based in Singapore?
If charges were brought by the US what would that mean for Binance?
Could it be made illegal to business with them in the US?
Arrest for the executives if they enter the US?

drk
Jan 16, 2005
Indictment being unsealed tomorrow morning

NYT posted:

The criminal charges against Mr. Bankman-Fried included wire fraud, wire fraud conspiracy, securities fraud, securities fraud conspiracy and money laundering, said a person with knowledge of the matter.

edit: I'm no lawyer, but conspiracy means more than one person, which implies either someone flipped or someone else is getting arrested

Noblesse Obliged
Apr 7, 2012

That wire was real your honour

WithoutTheFezOn
Aug 28, 2005
Oh no

ArbitraryC posted:

What does the fed do with all their crypto seizures anyways? Are they just sitting on them or do they sell them? Would a 50k or 70k coin haul like in the silk road story affect the market if they cashed them out at once?
In the past they’ve auctioned them off, like other seized assets.

drk
Jan 16, 2005
bitcoin: grossly inexperienced and unsophisticated individuals

(from JJ Ray #3's prepared statement to congress tuesday)

fast cars loose anus
Mar 2, 2007

Pillbug
Two bullet items down from the end of that image is "commingling of funds" which is, I am told, a crime by itself

NeuralSpark
Apr 16, 2004

HappyHippo posted:

Getting a bagel with the ease and peace of mind of someone that kept their goddamn mouth shut, hired some lawyers, and made a deal with the SEC et al.

SLOSifl
Aug 10, 2002

arrested person: nice try but you forgot about my right to linux

HolHorsejob
Mar 14, 2020

Portrait of Cheems II of Spain by Jabona Neftman, olo pint on fird

Navaash posted:

he looks like billy corgan with hair

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

notwithoutmyanus
Mar 17, 2009

ArbitraryC posted:

I read somewhere, maybe here? Government doesn't generally give a poo poo most of the time. Not saying it's a good thing to ever have come this far but the whole thing is mostly a joke to watch. I'm shocked people want degrees and experience in it. I even knew a lady proud that she got her kids name in some book about NFT's. It's easy for greed to tempt and for all the tax evasion/anti government people to find something to latch on to. I still have people blatantly in denial that crypto will blow up. Literally every day I'm warning people who don't listen. I made mistakes but I learn. Can't say the same for most, or people who walked with profits who are convinced to the death on Crypto going forward.

Lots of societal problems around financial stress.