Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: ZShakespeare)

Noblesse Obliged
Apr 7, 2012

Entropic posted:

To be fair, paper straws are bullshit.

Deforesting the planet because people wouldn’t throw their plastic trash away properly.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Entropic
Feb 21, 2007

patriarchy sucks
We could just use those coffee cup lids for soda too.

Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

College Slice
Metal straws gives me anxiety, like John Wick is going to stab me with one.

ZShakespeare
Jul 20, 2003

War gives the right to the conquerors to impose any condition they please upon the vanquished.
I like to drink from a cup.

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

ZShakespeare posted:

I like to drink from a cup.

just don't get it on your big bed, where your wife sleeps

NZAmoeba
Feb 14, 2005

It turns out it's MAN!
Hair Elf
The immigrant gets the thread title, that's the real Canadian dream right there

Furnaceface
Oct 21, 2004

Thread titles come and go but I will never forget Flames 1 Oilers 0.

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.

Furnaceface posted:

Honestly, that was one of the best thread titles I've ever seen, in context

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane
https://twitter.com/cbcnews/status/1602045701042708481?s=21

Peepee admits he can’t speak English.

Or, to be less flippant, I think precision in language is no crime, but we also have to deal with the practical realities of how policies end up being applied. That is to say: laws should be written in extremely precise and technical language, and also the average person should not be expected to interpret it accurately. In a sane world, we’d simply translate laws into simple English with the technical wording remaining authoritative to avoid ambiguity, but that’s apparently too simple a solution for anyone in charge.

Plain language laws are, in the most original sense, Orwellian. You cannot have functional, sane laws without some degree of complex language. There’s a place to make it accessible, but it must be done very carefully.

PT6A fucked around with this message at 06:05 on Dec 12, 2022

Karatela
Sep 11, 2001

Clickzorz!!!

Grimey Drawer
I still can't fathom how her badly-written law would prevent paper straws, of all things. Like, does she think she is gonna send bullyboys to Coutts and have them draw down on border agents and wave in a convoy of plastic straws, while Trudeau sits watching it on a giant TV with tears in his eyes? Does she think this will force the RCMP to ignore plastic straw factories in Alberta, and that banks and courts here will have to ignore fines and penalties applied involving straws?

Like, I am not a moron, so I know that literally none of the anythings she and other idiots cry about could be affected by this garbage, and I know I am being charitable in using the word here, but, what are they thinking is going to be the process here? All I see is "pass law, ???, trudeau owned".

ARACHTION
Mar 10, 2012

One time something I said became a thread title and like half a day later someone else said something really funny and it was changed to that.

I don’t even remember what it was :-(.

StealthArcher
Jan 10, 2010

Titles, land and thread, are fleeting

Fidelitious
Apr 17, 2018

MY BIRTH CRY WILL BE THE SOUND OF EVERY WALLET ON THIS PLANET OPENING IN UNISON.

Entropic posted:

To be fair, paper straws are bullshit.

I haven't encountered a problem yet but I would say that every time I get to the end of the drink it does feel like the straw would collapse if it had taken me just a few minutes longer.

Get a metal straw holster on your belt.

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

They can freeze up in slurpees which I never really encountered before but otherwise they are perfectly fine. Only loving idiots are against them.

mom and dad fight a lot
Sep 21, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 22 days!

Furnaceface posted:

I wish I was around this thread during the Fort Mac fires. On the other hand, Cultural Imperial was still posting back then, so maybe not.

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

mom and dad fight a lot posted:

I wish I was around this thread during the Fort Mac fires. On the other hand, Cultural Imperial was still posting back then, so maybe not.

He was posting like 3 weeks ago lol

Noblesse Obliged
Apr 7, 2012

Vintersorg posted:

They can freeze up in slurpees which I never really encountered before but otherwise they are perfectly fine. Only loving idiots are against them.

Not really. They take 4x the energy to make than plastic ones and you know, Requires us to cut down trees.

Not defending plastic straws either. To me this is just like electric cars vs ICE cars. If you want to help the environment you take a bus.

redbrouw
Nov 14, 2018

ACAB
Cultural Imperial is always posting in our hearts.

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane
Except for people with disabilities, there's not really any pressing need for straws. Plastic straws ought to be available for accessibility reasons, but if you don't need a straw to drink a beverage, then you should drink from a beverage container like a loving adult, and use no type of straw.

Chillyrabbit
Oct 24, 2012

The only sword wielding rabbit on the internet

Ultra Carp
But then food places might have to buy good cup lids (that cost 2¢ more than a plastic straw) instead of the travesty that was the Tim Hortons cup lid or any other lid that isn't so much a lid to drink from but a bad cover with a hole in it.

Precambrian Video Games
Aug 19, 2002

PT6A posted:

Except for people with disabilities, there's not really any pressing need for straws. Plastic straws ought to be available for accessibility reasons, but if you don't need a straw to drink a beverage, then you should drink from a beverage container like a loving adult, and use no type of straw.

Why do you hate boba shops?

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

How am I to drink this slurpee? WITH A SPOON? Then freeze my brain (which gets worse with age owwww).

Orthanc6
Nov 4, 2009

Noblesse Obliged posted:

Not really. They take 4x the energy to make than plastic ones and you know, Requires us to cut down trees.

Not defending plastic straws either. To me this is just like electric cars vs ICE cars. If you want to help the environment you take a bus.

aka if you want to help the environment nationalize and then dissolve the entire fossil fuel industry and jail their CEO's

DrBox
Jul 3, 2004

Sombody call the doctor?
There just needs to be economic incentives for good biodegradable plastic straws. They have those plastic analogs that are made from corn or something. They just cost more so no one uses them.

apatheticman
May 13, 2003

Wedge Regret

Vintersorg posted:

How am I to drink this slurpee? WITH A SPOON? Then freeze my brain (which gets worse with age owwww).

My brain also gets worse with age.

COPE 27
Sep 11, 2006

Plastics need to be drastically curtailed even if there isn't a significant carbon savings though.

Jordan7hm
Feb 17, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

redbrouw posted:

Cultural Imperial is always posting in our hearts.

and also using alts

Noblesse Obliged
Apr 7, 2012

COPE 27 posted:

Plastics need to be drastically curtailed even if there isn't a significant carbon savings though.

What about a carbon increase?

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.
How about we sequester the carbon in straws?

DaysBefore
Jan 24, 2019

Car bon? That's what the Germans call their highways isn't it

TheCenturion
May 3, 2013
HI I LIKE TO GIVE ADVICE ON RELATIONSHIPS

DaysBefore posted:

Car bon? That's what the Germans call their highways isn't it

No, it's what a french person says when they see a car they like.

Noblesse Obliged
Apr 7, 2012

TheCenturion posted:

No, it's what a french person says when they see a car they like.

There you go misgendering again

DrBox
Jul 3, 2004

Sombody call the doctor?

Noblesse Obliged posted:

Certain carbon increases could be worth it on net. For example if we banned single use plastic and it slightly raised carbon emissions, the reduction in microplastics could be worth it while we work to reduce carbon in other ways.

Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

College Slice
I thought the problem with plastic straws was strangling turtles who eat them?

Jordan7hm
Feb 17, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

Raenir Salazar posted:

I thought the problem with plastic straws was strangling turtles who eat them?
I think it would be pretty hard to strangle a turtle with a paper straw so that’s probably not why they changed them.

ZShakespeare
Jul 20, 2003

War gives the right to the conquerors to impose any condition they please upon the vanquished.
I thought the point of banning plastic straws was to make a visible step at addressing plastic pollution in a way that would simultaneously make people upset and not actually reduce plastic pollution by any meaningful amount.

Vasler
Feb 17, 2004
Greetings Earthling! Do you have any Zoom Boots?

ZShakespeare posted:

I thought the point of banning plastic straws was to make a visible step at addressing plastic pollution in a way that would simultaneously make people upset and not actually reduce plastic pollution by any meaningful amount.

The Canadian Solution. Brought to you by the Liberal party of Canada.

ARACHTION
Mar 10, 2012

Jordan7hm posted:

I think it would be pretty hard to strangle a turtle with a paper straw so that’s probably not why they changed them.

Oh yeah? Just watch me.

mom and dad fight a lot
Sep 21, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 22 days!

TheKingofSprings posted:

He was posting like 3 weeks ago lol

Jordan7hm posted:

and also using alts
Wat, really?

Edit: nah, best I don't know where.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

COPE 27
Sep 11, 2006

Noblesse Obliged posted:

Then don't use any straw I'm not sure what kind of 7d chess move you're trying to pull to be against being against single use plastics but they're extremely bad and should be eliminated