Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
What is the most powerful flying bug?
This poll is closed.
🦋 15 3.71%
🦇 115 28.47%
🪰 12 2.97%
🐦 67 16.58%
dragonfly 94 23.27%
🦟 14 3.47%
🐝 87 21.53%
Total: 404 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
https://twitter.com/AnarchoTerran/status/1584780522105892864?t=p2xhLCVcmvUy1ezs0fvDjQ&s=19

https://twitter.com/AnarchoTerran/status/1585342222769455106?t=Q6T50RPzsM6xbKXv0QBtaw&s=19

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Futanari Damacy
Oct 30, 2021

by sebmojo

Beyond parody or redemption

Ardennes
May 12, 2002
There are very few Mongolian loan words, and most of them are via Turkic languages.

Tankbuster
Oct 1, 2021
If you don't pay for power, you are truly free.

OctaMurk
Jun 21, 2013

north korea is the freest nation in teh world

thats not blood in my mouth its victory wine

Frosted Flake
Sep 13, 2011

Semper Shitpost Ubique

I do kind of love seeing that form of national myth and race science rewriting of history because - fact that nobody else would be allowed to express it while liberals turn a blind eye aside - it’s a reminder of the Golden Age of Archeology when Britain and France found themselves with colonial empires that contained immaculately preserved Roman sites, a thing they claimed to care about, but because they considered themselves the Inheritors of Rome:

- Willfully misinterpreted them along the lines of previous finds in Britain and central France, which were sleepy frontiers of empire, so that Antioch was considered less important than some no name English fort in their conception of the Roman world

- Related, assumed MENA was the colonial part of the Empire and Britain and France the heart, an inversion of reality

-Destroyed buildings and whole villages that were practically intact as building material for forts for the above two reasons as well as the fact that the New Rome needed them to continue the glorious project

- Probably also destroyed these sites for racist reasons

- Insisted that the Arabs had adulterated them in some way rather than continuing a lot of the material culture and even local customs and traditions

For example, Wheeler was a great colonial archeologist and Royal Artillery officer who, during the campaign for North Africa, employed captured Italian guards to protect Roman sites from the depredations of Libyans when in reality it was British and Italian troops writing graffiti or other mischief while the Libyans had lived with their villages next to these sites for a thousand years and taken fairly good care of them.

Frosted Flake has issued a correction as of 01:56 on Dec 13, 2022

Futanari Damacy
Oct 30, 2021

by sebmojo
Without darkness there can be no light... :aaaaa:

Frosted Flake
Sep 13, 2011

Semper Shitpost Ubique

Would it shock you to know you use oldest to newest stocks, the US dropped WW2 vintage aerial bombs on Vietnam etc etc?

HiroProtagonist
May 7, 2007

OctaMurk posted:

north korea is the freest nation in teh world

thats not blood in my mouth its victory wine

the DPRK has fully powered infrastructure, that satellite pic i know you're thinking of was doctored the same as the memes the ukr MoD has been putting out since the start of the conflict

i guess the ROK MofA employs the same meme shop

crepeface
Nov 5, 2004

r*p*f*c*

Frosted Flake posted:

code:

"The US has used strategic bombing to target civilian populations in the 21st century"

make it use journalism speech and you got yourself a winner.

Tankbuster
Oct 1, 2021

Frosted Flake posted:

Would it shock you to know you use oldest to newest stocks, the US dropped WW2 vintage aerial bombs on Vietnam etc etc?

Oh so older bombs don't explode so good or something? I don't think the average infantryman cares he is being exploded by bottom of the barrel ammo instead of top shelf stuff.

Tankbuster
Oct 1, 2021

HiroProtagonist posted:

the DPRK has fully powered infrastructure, that satellite pic i know you're thinking of was doctored the same as the memes the ukr MoD has been putting out since the start of the conflict

i guess the ROK MofA employs the same meme shop

Wait, proof of the DPRK thing being a lie?

Marenghi
Oct 16, 2008

Don't trust the liberals,
they will betray you

Tankbuster posted:

Everything about DPRK is a lie.

AnimeIsTrash
Jun 30, 2018
Probation
Can't post for 8 hours!

in the US they made prisoners make helmets which resulted in defective army helmets, very funny tbh

atelier morgan
Mar 11, 2003

super-scientific, ultra-gay

Lipstick Apathy

AnimeIsTrash posted:

in the US they made prisoners make helmets which resulted in defective army helmets, very funny tbh

the solution to this, as engineered by california firefighting, is that you have inmate-slaves use the protective equipment that they make

slave soldiers wouldn't even be particularly novel, just a throwback

crepeface
Nov 5, 2004

r*p*f*c*

Tankbuster posted:

Marenghi posted:

Everything about DPRK is a lie.

lol yeah:

https://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/File:Korean_Peninsula_at_night_-_2012_-_NASA.png

quote:

English: An image showing the Korean peninsula at night in the year 2012. A composite image, constructed using cloud-free night images taken by the National Aeronautics and Space Administration (NASA) and the National Oceanic and Atmospheric Administration (NOAA) Suomi National Polar-orbiting Partnership (NPP) satellite. These photographs were taken with the Visible Infrared Imaging Radiometer Suite (VIIRS), and the composite was published by NASA on December 5, 2012. I modified the image by removing the lights from ships on the open ocean to highlight the contrast between North Korea and South Korea.

Note: North Korea turns off street lighting late evening,[1] so if this photo was taken at around midnight local time, it might not indicate electricity generating capacity in a balanced way.

so they took a composite of the DPRK when they turn off the lights :roflolmao:

AnimeIsTrash
Jun 30, 2018
Probation
Can't post for 8 hours!

atelier morgan posted:

the solution to this, as engineered by california firefighting, is that you have inmate-slaves use the protective equipment that they make

slave soldiers wouldn't even be particularly novel, just a throwback

i was reading an article about them a while back and it talked about how prisoners often seek those kinds of jobs because its their only way to interact with people on the outside, and it humanizes them

they also suffer from a much higher rate of deaths and injuries than other firefighters, its extremely grim

PhilippAchtel
May 31, 2011

https://twitter.com/divan_division/status/1585521328848781312

When your misrepresentation of Race Science brings out the real Race Scientists

Tankbuster
Oct 1, 2021
No my precious haplogroup: tainted by the mongol!

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

I really like the tilting tank turntable thingy

atelier morgan
Mar 11, 2003

super-scientific, ultra-gay

Lipstick Apathy

Tankbuster posted:

No my precious haplogroup: tainted by the mongol!

tainted by the mongol, the latest album from hit nazi band no my precious haplogroup

AnimeIsTrash
Jun 30, 2018
Probation
Can't post for 8 hours!
https://twitter.com/Reuters/status/1602365241123377171

Futanari Damacy
Oct 30, 2021

by sebmojo
https://twitter.com/BabakTaghvaee1/status/1602458908299493376

Regarde Aduck
Oct 19, 2012

c l o u d k i t t e n
Grimey Drawer
and that's a good thing

it's good that they're having to do that, it means they're winning

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Prepare for my priapic projectile's exalted penetration
Nap Ghost
Just got an idea for a Very Fast Mi-24 based Combine harvester.

PhilippAchtel
May 31, 2011

I always knew the real Master Race was the Irish.

There's no :ireland:!? Another loving injustice!

Lostconfused
Oct 1, 2008

PhilippAchtel posted:

What I am seeing here is that Austrian and Ottoman were the true multi ethnic empires.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

Frosted Flake posted:

Isn't the US still awarding Purple Hearts that were minted for use in Operation Coronet/Downfall?

Tankbuster
Oct 1, 2021
there's a difference between medals and live ammo (I hope)

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Prepare for my priapic projectile's exalted penetration
Nap Ghost

Tankbuster posted:

there's a difference between medals and live ammo (I hope)

You try to keep straight which of those two you pin on the enemy vs a friendly, but mistakes are made.

https://space.nss.org/nss-wernher-von-braun-memorial-award/

F Stop Fitzgerald
Dec 12, 2010

gradenko_2000 posted:

Isn't the US still awarding Purple Hearts that were minted for use in Operation Coronet/Downfall?

supposedly this isnt technically true because the warehouse they were stored in was so lovely that they all had to get thrown out for water damage

Lostconfused
Oct 1, 2008

News⚡️Cherkassy posted:

🟥 Another petition to rename Mozhaisky Street to Stepan Bandera Street appeared on the website of Cherkasy City Council

"You say it's not the right time? But look how the pig dogs rename our cities as soon as they come in... how they repaint the steles in the color of their rags. That's how long you will be inconvenienced by Ukrainian heroes, while you will be "saved". Read Ukrainian, not Soviet history, and you will see the difference. The street was renamed, but not renamed. I, on behalf of Ukrainians, ask to clarify the situation regarding the renaming of the said street. Because on official maps, it is still Mozhaisky street." – пише автор.

Comments are open for discussion✍️

👉ПІДПИСАТИСЬ НА NEWS CHERKASSY

📸 Прислати новину
(from t.me/news_cherkaassy/9428, via tgsa)
Mildly amused at the slap fights in the comments. Also who knows, maybe it's some troll because pulling out the pigdog card in context of OUN is pretty funny.

Cpt_Obvious
Jun 18, 2007

Volkswagen.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

mlmp08 posted:

You try to keep straight which of those two you pin on the enemy vs a friendly, but mistakes are made.

https://space.nss.org/nss-wernher-von-braun-memorial-award/

This is it, the first genuinely funny mlmp post

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

Frosted Flake posted:

it’s a reminder of the Golden Age of Archeology when Britain and France found themselves with colonial empires that contained immaculately preserved Roman sites, a thing they claimed to care about, but because they considered themselves the Inheritors of Rome:

- Willfully misinterpreted them along the lines of previous finds in Britain and central France, which were sleepy frontiers of empire, so that Antioch was considered less important than some no name English fort in their conception of the Roman world

I learned over the weekend that Arthurian legend originated from stories about a group of Sarmatian Cataphracts that Hadrian imported from the East after seeing how effective they were against Legionnaires

Frosted Flake
Sep 13, 2011

Semper Shitpost Ubique

All VCs come from the same Russian bronze gun captured at Balaclava. (Sevastopol? Somewhere in the Crimea anyway.)

Lostconfused
Oct 1, 2008

https://twitter.com/RALee85/status/1602082523206635521

Frosted Flake
Sep 13, 2011

Semper Shitpost Ubique

gradenko_2000 posted:

I learned over the weekend that Arthurian legend originated from stories about a group of Sarmatian Cataphracts that Hadrian imported from the East after seeing how effective they were against Legionnaires

It's contested. Two recentish books, King Arthur: The Making of the Legend by Higham and The Complete King Arthur: Many Faces, One Hero by Matthews go over the other theories.

Only one has a fun movie about it though
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8Fw_1TwxTRU

Tankbuster
Oct 1, 2021
Cataphracts had swag though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cao Ni Ma
May 25, 2010

PhilippAchtel posted:

An idiot starts talking race science out of his rear end

Someone comes out of the shadows with calipers, prepared to teach a lesson.