Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

nokko
Jun 22, 2022

kazmeyer posted:

Speaking of writing tools, can I just say I hate Grammarly with the burning fire of a thousand suns? One of my clients requires me to run everything through it as a final step, and they're utter masters at monetization-- it's absolutely free, BUT you can't tell it "ignore this issue" unless you pay for the loving thing. So if I do an hour-long transcript, I then have to click "dismiss" like 250 times to get it to ignore all the bad grammar or inefficient wording the subject used. I'm considering subscribing just for the ability to shut the loving thing up.

If it's really driving you up the wall, I can write a browser extension to auto-dismiss certain kinds of problems in the web version. A worthwhile weekend project…

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kazmeyer
Jul 26, 2001

'Cause we're the good guys.

Oh my God it's like every week now I get some new torment.

This one is a pretty fascinating interview with a trans woman who's spent decades as an activist in DC. But CHIRP the goddamn CHIRP interviewer forgot CHIRP to replace the loving CHIRP batteries in CHIRP her loving smoke CHIRP detector she's apparently CHIRP sitting directly loving under CHIRP and it's CHIRP a loving CHIRP nightmare. I can't even wear headphones on this because she'll be talking and the gain will drop and two or three of them are fine but then one happens in dead silence and it's 300 loving decibels.

The goddamn pharma earnings call I've got set up for afters where I'm going to have to look up eight million cancer drugs with 15-letter names is going to be a cakewalk compared to this.

unbuttonedclone
Dec 30, 2008
You can normalize or compress it in Audacity or something to make the volume normal.

Pharma + earnings call sounds like hell. People talking to hear themselves talk (and reading from a script.)

ben shapino
Nov 22, 2020

kazmeyer posted:

Oh my God it's like every week now I get some new torment.

This one is a pretty fascinating interview with a trans woman who's spent decades as an activist in DC. But CHIRP the goddamn CHIRP interviewer forgot CHIRP to replace the loving CHIRP batteries in CHIRP her loving smoke CHIRP detector she's apparently CHIRP sitting directly loving under CHIRP and it's CHIRP a loving CHIRP nightmare. I can't even wear headphones on this because she'll be talking and the gain will drop and two or three of them are fine but then one happens in dead silence and it's 300 loving decibels.

The goddamn pharma earnings call I've got set up for afters where I'm going to have to look up eight million cancer drugs with 15-letter names is going to be a cakewalk compared to this.

try to EQ the frequency of the beep out, it probably won't be perfect but could seriously reduce how loud it sounds lol

Nighthand
Nov 4, 2009

what horror the gas

There's someone in my neighborhood with a low battery smoke detector that has been chirping for I swear to God at least a solid year. Luckily I can only actually hear it when I'm out on an evening walk, or on a really still night when everything else is silenced, but holy hell how do you live like that

ben shapino
Nov 22, 2020

reminds me of a manager at my company who would get on the daily zoom calls but their laptop's notifications would come through extremely loud and clear through their mic and at no point did they think to use a headset, snooze those notifications, turn them down, literally anything that would stop an extremely loud PING from going off every 35 seconds in everyones ears

Astro7x
Aug 4, 2004
Thinks It's All Real
Sounds like someone is just playing some blues smoke detector

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TN_ElpaabJU

ohnobugs
Feb 22, 2003

I miss listening to Loveline

Astro7x
Aug 4, 2004
Thinks It's All Real
Stumbled across an AI writing app called Jasper today. Anyone ever heard of it?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wsezUOifz2E

So of course the first thing that comes to mind is, could you use this software to autogenerate these SEO blogspam articles for content mills? Or at least use it for ideation that you then rewrite yourself? I wonder how unique the content is when you throw it in copyscape? I assumed if it worked as advertised it would make content mills obsolete.

Nighthand
Nov 4, 2009

what horror the gas

I tried it out and it's not very good.

It will write you short chunks at a time, which then end up needing your editing and finesse to tie them together, and it loves to repeat itself in a way that is useless for any writing platform that has a human look at the content for a second. It mostly passes copyscape iirc, since it's largely trained on offline materials (books, magazines) but it's all super generic, not really connected thoughts, at least for the attempts I made with it.

They love shilling it as a do-it-for-you tool but at best it can generate something you could use as an outline and fluff up. It's still a long way from "click button, submit to WD" functionality.

Maybe if you spend time getting good at using it, you can use it for low-value posts like that, but I didn't care enough since there's no way it can handle what I generally do.

Also, Google has been angling to detect and devalue AI-gen content so look forward to that arms race, I guess.

The biggest problem with these AI content generators is that they can't generate good writing without a lot of massaging. By that I don't just mean in a technical sense, I mean in terms of the flow of ideas, in critical thinking, and stuff like that. It could be fine for low-end Textbroker or WD stuff, but at that point those platforms are just going to invest in doing it themselves rather than paying writers to do it for them. Combined with google pushing to raise overall quality levels and devalue the spammier content out there, it's just skirting a line where it's a bit more effort than it's worth.

I'm sure there's a use case for it, and I'm sure if I took the time to figure it all out I could maybe use it to speed up some filler content here and there, but for my use case it just doesn't get there.

Astro7x
Aug 4, 2004
Thinks It's All Real
That's an interesting take on it, good to know. Guess that means the job of people writing blog spam articles is safe for now!

Summit
Mar 6, 2004

David wanted you to have this.
I actually used that service for a month to create some blog posts strictly for SEO purposes. Like I didn’t care at all if real people read the articles, it was to send signals to web crawlers. Still, it was hard not to hate the output it put out. It took so much work to actually coax anything that wasn’t completely ridiculous out of it. I had to proofread every line it wrote because it was constantly slinging incorrect information that I didn’t want tied to my brand. It was glaringly obviously wrong stuff too, just “facts” it synthesized together that made no sense at all.

In the end I felt like the handful of articles I paid people to write off fivver were a better use of time because I could just put them up without any editing.

It is kind of creepy how well it can ape the style of “useless unhelpful blog article written in a chipper tone”

Summit fucked around with this message at 14:27 on Oct 5, 2022

CatelynIsAZombie
Nov 16, 2006

I can't wait to bomb DO-DON-GOES!
So I read the OP and have been poking around but does anyone offhand know any freelance sites that pay for translation work? Fiverr is like the only thing that comes to mind, tutor.com didn't used to cover languages (according to op) but I just checked it and it covers like 4 now but that doesn't include my skill area.

Does anyone have recent experience on mechanical turk? From the few things I've read a lot of it just boils down to survey websites and it seems like there are a few survey specific sites that pay better more reliably.

Fuschia tude
Dec 26, 2004

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2019

CatelynIsAZombie posted:

So I read the OP and have been poking around but does anyone offhand know any freelance sites that pay for translation work? Fiverr is like the only thing that comes to mind, tutor.com didn't used to cover languages (according to op) but I just checked it and it covers like 4 now but that doesn't include my skill area.

I'd try Upwork. They always have a bunch of jobs posted there along those lines. I actually just got a full-time remote (not translation) job through there this month. Which I wasn't even necessarily looking for, the company just contacted me out of the blue because I had a profile on the site. :shrug:

quote:

Does anyone have recent experience on mechanical turk? From the few things I've read a lot of it just boils down to survey websites and it seems like there are a few survey specific sites that pay better more reliably.
Nope, I haven't used it since college. The quality and pay seemed to go way down even during that year or so I was on there.

Jedi Knight Luigi
Jul 13, 2009

CatelynIsAZombie posted:

Gengo is the first one that comes to mind for me.

There’s also Transperfect and United Language Group. Here’s a big list . Or just Google “language service provider”

kazmeyer
Jul 26, 2001

'Cause we're the good guys.

Just had a client send me a snippy note for misspelling "Google." I got to explain to him that given the physicist's use of the phrase "single-helix, double-helix, googol-helix" he was probably referring to the number instead of the search engine.

I'm planning on taking a sabbatical next spring to get some certifications in and I'm honestly just thinking about enrolling in school and saying gently caress this. My patience isn't what it used to be.

Astro7x
Aug 4, 2004
Thinks It's All Real
I was talking about those AI content generators a while ago... anybody see that new ChatGPT AI program?

https://chat.openai.com/

While I have not submitted anything it has written, I've certainly been using it for ideation and paraphrasing what it writes. The stuff is pretty good that it spits out

Golden Bee
Dec 24, 2009

I came here to chew bubblegum and quote 'They Live', and I'm... at an impasse.
It’s high school level good. Translation was hit hard by people who said Google translate was good enough, but that’s capitalism baby.

Baddog
May 12, 2001
I really like this thread, I think discussing all the various ways to make money online has a ton of potential, even more so now than 10 years ago. But it seems as the old sources have died off, people haven't been posting so much about new stuff.

Can anyone take a crack at updating the very old op? I'm afraid the things I dabble in are more "market" oriented (predictit, which is unfortunately getting shut down - masterworks for art speculation, losing money on the old lending sites, etc). This thread seems like it has been much more focused on *guaranteed* online moneymaking. Which is fair!

Nighthand
Nov 4, 2009

what horror the gas

I'm more than happy to add/edit/update anything in it, or if someone else wants to take over that's cool too. My firsthand knowledge of the writing stuff has dropped off since I moved entirely to private clients instead of the content mills so I'm rusty on it.

AFAIK the big ones are still Writer Access and Textbroker, with Verblio and Constant Content as more spec-like work.

I also never did the transcription, haven't touched the search rater stuff in almost ten years, and never did tutoring, so those are completely out of my wheelhouse.

Sub Rosa
Jun 9, 2010

I know people who did convert. Traveled over to Africa multiple times for ceremonies/initiations. Pretty sure you don't get to pick your orisha, though, it's assigned based on divination.

kazmeyer posted:

I totally want to convert to the Yoruba religion, though. (Massive oversimplification and western limited understanding incoming, apologies if there's actually anybody who really knows this poo poo here, this is just what I picked up in like two hours of tape.) It's set up sort of like Catholicism, in that you've got a big creator God who's too busy creating to worry about your little human problems, so there are a bunch of lesser deities called orisha that each have a purview. But unlike saints, where you shop around depending on what you need at the time, the Yoruba generally pick one (sometimes two) orisha and follow them exclusively.

Now, whichever orisha you pick, you get certain perks and restrictions. Like, say you pick Shango. Shango's the orisha of lightning and thunder and drumming and dancing (among other things). So right out of the gate, you get a lifetime pass for being a big swingin' dick, because everyone knows you follow the coolest orisha there is so they kind of just expect you to be a jerk. But you can't eat cowpeas, because another orisha Shango has beef with will wreck your poo poo, and you can't go into deep water because one of Shango's exes might get jealous and steal you away from him. Other orisha do things like you have to go tell a river every time you're doing something important, or you can't climb trees because you might just disappear or do certain dances because they have beef with Shango and he'll hit you with a lightning bolt for showing off. It's like D&D classes meet religion. But the best part is, the restrictions and poo poo are all personal. If you're a child of Shango, you can't go into the lagoon, but if you're a child of Oshun, you can go swimming all you want. It's all "my god doesn't let me do this, but you do you." Which I really wish western religion would get on adopting like tout-suite. :)

Baddog
May 12, 2001

Nighthand posted:

I'm more than happy to add/edit/update anything in it, or if someone else wants to take over that's cool too. My firsthand knowledge of the writing stuff has dropped off since I moved entirely to private clients instead of the content mills so I'm rusty on it.

AFAIK the big ones are still Writer Access and Textbroker, with Verblio and Constant Content as more spec-like work.

I also never did the transcription, haven't touched the search rater stuff in almost ten years, and never did tutoring, so those are completely out of my wheelhouse.

Appreciate that, the op is a great post (you're obviously a great writer!).

I'm not sure how we attract people to contribute data on new sections that you aren't up on. And maybe there just isn't a ton of great alternatives right now? Although I kind of find that hard to believe.... publishing stuff on amazon went through a huge phase and that seems to have been sucked dry. Dropshopping, the same thing. I looked at that blogs for bucks thread, and it's been dead for 5 years now. Have the majority of decent online moneymaking opportunities just been massively offshored at this point? Literally down to those dudes on tiktok who slooooowly peel shells off eggs for gift clicks.

Baddog
May 12, 2001
Maybe I can make "what are ways to make money online these days" a topic for our chat thread?

Nighthand
Nov 4, 2009

what horror the gas

Blogging got saturated and also most of the common ways to monetize it have gotten worse and worse (display ads pay poo poo all these days, affiliate links are hard to get people to click through, etc). Obviously it still works for plenty of people, but it's harder than ever to break into without either name recognition or significant investment. Similarly, Amazon self-pub got worse as a million people got into it and the algorithms got harder to game.

There's still plenty of opportunity out there but I think a lot of it is harder to find or with individual businesses/clients, like you really need to use the sites like Upwork and network, or just look for remote work in general like on FlexJobs. It feels like a lot of the entry-level platforms have somewhat dropped off.

But, again, that's all from a more distant perspective since I haven't been immersed in it in years.

Baddog posted:

Maybe I can make "what are ways to make money online these days" a topic for our chat thread?

That could work. Getting more eyes on the subject could get people to find this little thread buried away.

Dr. Jim Sadler
Jan 6, 2006

No, the fact that -you- don't wanna wear a thong is because you're still afraid of 9/11!
I work for a few places online. Main one with Appen’s RaterLabs (formerly LeapForce). Been working there for nearly 10 years now. It can be okay, but probably stressful if it’s your main source of income. They just finally increased peoples pay for the first time since I started there. I went from $13/hr to $14.50/hr.

Another one that I’ve really enjoyed and with great pay is Acuity Insights. You rate text and video responses to CASPer test questions, which are behavioral based situations that students need to respond to. The tests are fairly seasonal though and go in waves with sometimes none for months. The text based tests are the best though. Depends on how fast you can read and make judgements, but I can make $20-$30/hr. It’s paid piecerate, $0.60/rating.

Recently done some work with Telus as a mystery shopper where you purchase items and review the item and seller. These are usually Facebook or Instagram ad based. Pay is garbage for the amount of time you have to take to input info into their system, but you get a couple hundred dollars worth of items that you may or may not find useful. I mainly do it to get some extra spend to hit sign-up bonuses on my latest credit card.

None of these are my full time job, just side stuff for some extra money. RaterLabs is the most consistent work and there’s almost always available work. I do about 15 hrs a week, but could do up to the max of 26 if I had the time.

Baddog
May 12, 2001

Nighthand posted:

That could work. Getting more eyes on the subject could get people to find this little thread buried away.

Sounds like a plan, I posted it up here!

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?noseen=1&threadid=4021423

ohnobugs
Feb 22, 2003

I haven't tried this myself, but Literably might be a nice side gig https://literably.com/instructions/grader-directions

It's transcribing test recordings for students. The recordings will be a minute or two and they say their pay averages 51 cents a minute. If you want to try transcription, it's not a bad site to check out and see if this type of work is for you. The work's going to follow the schoolyear so it won't be steady, but good for a few extra bucks here and there.

Fuschia tude
Dec 26, 2004

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2019

Nighthand posted:

There's still plenty of opportunity out there but I think a lot of it is harder to find or with individual businesses/clients, like you really need to use the sites like Upwork and network,

This is what I did to get my current full-time job, though without even the networking bit (which I'm terrible at, and at self-marketing in general). I just had an account on Upwork in a somewhat related field, and after doing a couple of quick jobs I was contacted by someone from Upwork about one of their Enterprise clients, which is a business hiring a lot of contractors through Upwork. After a weird skill aptitude test and a couple rounds of interviews, I've been writing for them ever since.

HELLOMYNAMEIS___
Dec 30, 2007

I tried searching the thread, but found no mention of this opportunity: HoneyGain is a service where you can share your Internet connection for use in a Content Delivery Network. I've used it on both my phone's data plan and my home broadband, and noticed no connection trouble, such as slowdowns (it uses very little bandwidth). I've also successfully cashed out, which you can do at $20 or over in your account - just don't go for the crypto payout, I lost one payout that way, just use Paypal.

The nice thing about this is that it's completely passive.

Slightly Used Cake
Oct 21, 2010
I'm just waiting for this thread to add a "How to sell feet pictures in this economy" section.

Canadian transcription continues to do well, and captioning, but I'm not seeing anybody actually hiring newbies right now.

Also we may have a Federal election coming up and if we get a conservative Government all my sweet delicious science grant projects are going to dry up. So I was only half joking about needing the feet pics advice.

Nighthand
Nov 4, 2009

what horror the gas

Vanilla feet pics are a saturated market so you'll have to pivot to video and pick an exotic niche, I think. Something like "feet dipped in honey ASMR" or "feet interrupting elsa's birthday celebration" where you step on an array of celebratory confections. As an added bonus for that one, though, you could make an extra bit of hustle from selling the slightly used cake...

Slightly Used Cake
Oct 21, 2010

Nighthand posted:

Vanilla feet pics are a saturated market so you'll have to pivot to video and pick an exotic niche, I think. Something like "feet dipped in honey ASMR" or "feet interrupting elsa's birthday celebration" where you step on an array of celebratory confections. As an added bonus for that one, though, you could make an extra bit of hustle from selling the slightly used cake...

I see what you did there. :D

Also if I'm interrupting Elsa's birthday I'm definitely also singing off key Let It Go. But agreed, vanilla feet do not sell.

HELLOMYNAMEIS___
Dec 30, 2007

I recently cashed out from AttaPoll, and thought about this thread.

AttaPoll is a paid survey site. You're asked to participate in surveys and rewarded through Paypal. Unlike a lot of other survey sites I've tried, AttaPoll cashouts actually work.

If you do end up signing up, I'm asking you to use my referral code: fvnce.

Nighthand
Nov 4, 2009

what horror the gas

I got a few checks from SurveySavvy back in the day but all those survey sites are just a few cents here and there so it just wasn't worth the time to keep up with.

Astro7x
Aug 4, 2004
Thinks It's All Real

Nighthand posted:

I got a few checks from SurveySavvy back in the day but all those survey sites are just a few cents here and there so it just wasn't worth the time to keep up with.

I still look sign up for surveys from Survey Savvy and Mindfield Online for the community invites. There are these online community where you participate 4 times in a month and get a $5-$15 gift card depending on the community. The Survey Savvy invites usually have a subject like "A unique opportunity from SurveySavvy.com". And I forget what the Mindfield Online ones say, but it's similar. You take the screener and sometimes you get in, sometimes you don't. But you kind of know what they are looking for by the questions.

I'm in a few of these communities right now. So I login once a week and respond to an activity with each account, and I'm getting a decent amount of Amazon GCs each month for doing it. And every once in a while each community will have special opportunities for product tests or special projects that pay out much more. Like I just had one where I did an online group text chat for an hour that paid out $75. Or another was a product test to buy some Snyder Pretzels and record my reaction to eating it for $40.

I am also a sucker for the Mindfield Online product test surveys. The subjects are always "New In Home Product Test Opportunity" and even though they pay like $3-$6, it's quick and I like the novelty of being sent free stuff to try. Same thing for Pinecone Research. It's a $3, but a lot of them lead to getting sent a product in the mail to try.

I've completely stopped doing surveys are for just a dollar here and there. Give me some new candy bar to try or something and that at least makes it worth it for the pittance.

Astro7x fucked around with this message at 17:16 on May 8, 2023

Toxic Mental
Jun 1, 2019

Does anyone here do retail arbitrage type stuff, i.e. Buying poo poo from Costco and selling it for more on amazon? I'm blown away by how much people will pay for some stuff simply for the convenience of being able to buy it from home

I got five Kirkland Contact Lens Solution packs for $10 each and sold them the next day for $25 on amazon. The only thing is that I had to pack and ship them myself but that took like 10 minutes and I work from home so it's not like I can't just go out and ship it during lunch anyways.

Baddog
May 12, 2001

Toxic Mental posted:

Does anyone here do retail arbitrage type stuff, i.e. Buying poo poo from Costco and selling it for more on amazon? I'm blown away by how much people will pay for some stuff simply for the convenience of being able to buy it from home

I got five Kirkland Contact Lens Solution packs for $10 each and sold them the next day for $25 on amazon. The only thing is that I had to pack and ship them myself but that took like 10 minutes and I work from home so it's not like I can't just go out and ship it during lunch anyways.

I kinda just assumed it was a saturated market, aren't a lot of people doing this? They sold that quick though eh.

My kid is pestering the poo poo out of me for something to make money at, maybe I can put him onto doing this. Kinda beats knocking on doors to mow lawns, in multiple ways.

Invalid Validation
Jan 13, 2008

Probably won’t get rich doing it but for a little side money I’m sure it’s pretty alright. Just gotta look for some deals.

Astro7x
Aug 4, 2004
Thinks It's All Real
Writers Domain has opened their sign up page for new workers. FYI.

https://www.writersdomain.net/SignUp

There is an excess amount of work currently, so it looks like they are accepting new writers at the moment.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nighthand
Nov 4, 2009

what horror the gas

Wild, I'd have thought they'd be the first to go when the AI starts being able to write vaguely-decent-sounding SEO content. But hey, if they keep on trucking, the canary isn't dead yet!

Unrelated, I did a pass to update the OP, remove some dead links, reflect some more modern advice, etc. Anybody with a quote in there who would like it changed/updated/replaced/removed just lemme know.