Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Femur
Jan 10, 2004
I REALLY NEED TO SHUT THE FUCK UP
I think back then, Pixar just took over from Disney's blockbuster cartoons, but without songs because the songs were getting bad at that point?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

War and Pieces
Apr 24, 2022

DID NOT VOTE FOR FETTERMAN
Sorry. Not beautiful. And no amount of authoritarian tolerances is going to change that.

Antonymous
Apr 4, 2009

Femur posted:

I think back then, Pixar just took over from Disney's blockbuster cartoons, but without songs because the songs were getting bad at that point?

you got a friend in me

Pepe Silvia Browne
Jan 1, 2007

Antonymous posted:

you got a friend in me

the song that Randy Newman wrote for when Buzz tries to fly and fails is heartbreaking:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AOBIcW4hIBw

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

To these sing-alongs 🎤of siren 🧜🏻‍♀️songs
To oohs😮 to ahhs😱 to 👏big👏applause👏
With all of my 😡anger I scream🤬 and shout📢
🇺🇸America🦅, I love you 🥰but you're freaking 💦me 😳out
Biscuit Hider

mawarannahr posted:

I don’t know what elastomom is so I GISed it and saw a vulgar cartoon as the fourth result, involving a bathtub. It was shocking.

It's 2022 and you did a GIS. Don't pretend you didn't know what would happen.

Mantis42
Jul 26, 2010

Her name is Elastigirl!!

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

Laterite posted:

miracle mile (1988) is on tubi and i highly recommend it

Incredible movie

Wraith of J.O.I.
Jan 25, 2012

RIP

https://twitter.com/ScreenSlate/status/1602406641432989696

mawarannahr
May 21, 2019

Bada Bing bada boom :(

uber_stoat
Jan 21, 2001

Pillbug
https://twitter.com/World0fEcho/status/1142504866985545728?s=20&t=VsF8ENSqVBaOOncNj6Mysg

RandolphCarter
Jul 30, 2005

loving sucks :rip:

Eason the Fifth
Apr 9, 2020
We have entered a world of Too Much Content

Pepe Silvia Browne
Jan 1, 2007

Eason the Fifth posted:

We have entered a world of Too Much Content

Absolutely

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

it's insane to see something and be like "oh hey x got a new show" and then find out it had four seasons and got cancelled in 2020

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Lucky there's a family guy
Lucky there's a man who positively can do
All the things that make us
Laugh and cry

Uncle Boogeyman posted:

Incredible movie

:haibrower:

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Lucky there's a family guy
Lucky there's a man who positively can do
All the things that make us
Laugh and cry
the guy at the end is cspam

Pepe Silvia Browne
Jan 1, 2007
Scrolling through dozens of Christmas movies on Hulu which all have names like The Christmas Waitress or A Song Of Christmas Future in red font with a man and a woman looking at each other on either sides of a tree or an ornament or a gift box

Fitzy Fitz
May 14, 2005

Pepe Silvia Browne posted:

Scrolling through dozens of Christmas movies on Hulu which all have names like The Christmas Waitress or A Song Of Christmas Future in red font with a man and a woman looking at each other on either sides of a tree or an ornament or a gift box

I've been putting these on in the background lately. The quality is surprisingly varied, from bad to really bad to painfully bad.

MeatwadIsGod
Sep 30, 2004

Foretold by Gyromancy
Damm, Badalamenti and Julee Cruise in the same year

Action Jacktion
Jun 3, 2003

MeatwadIsGod posted:

Damm, Badalamenti and Julee Cruise in the same year

Al Strobel (Gerard, the one-armed man) died a couple of weeks ago too.

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

Showing the 2yo Kiki's Delivery Service again. She does not remember it from the first time around (long-term memories are tricky at this age) but is into it

Antonymous
Apr 4, 2009

be careful naomi watts

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

My wife is sick today which means *~fun time with daddy~* (grilled cheese and yogurt for dinner and we watch anime)

Substandard
Oct 16, 2007

3rd street for life

Pepe Silvia Browne posted:

Hallmark had been making these for years, but there has been a recent explosion and now lifetime and Hulu and ion and Tubi and maybe some others are all doing original Hallmark style Christmas movies. They must be incredibly cheap to make.

Laterite
Mar 14, 2007

It's Gutfest '89
Grimey Drawer

Xaris posted:

the guy at the end is cspam

lol yeah between him and everyone in the diner pretty much encompasses the cspam demographic

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

To these sing-alongs 🎤of siren 🧜🏻‍♀️songs
To oohs😮 to ahhs😱 to 👏big👏applause👏
With all of my 😡anger I scream🤬 and shout📢
🇺🇸America🦅, I love you 🥰but you're freaking 💦me 😳out
Biscuit Hider

Substandard posted:

Hallmark had been making these for years, but there has been a recent explosion and now lifetime and Hulu and ion and Tubi and maybe some others are all doing original Hallmark style Christmas movies. They must be incredibly cheap to make.

Yup. They can crank one out for about $2 million, get some sweet tax breaks by filming in Canada, and people keep watching. Apparently ad revenue for these movies makes up a whole 1/3 of their revenue for about $350 million a year.

https://www.forbes.com/sites/tonifitzgerald/2021/12/24/the-economics-of-the-hugely-popular-hallmark-christmas-movies/?sh=770070773f34

Laterite
Mar 14, 2007

It's Gutfest '89
Grimey Drawer
also brian thompson is such a chad in the movie as well. love that dude.

sonatinas
Apr 15, 2003

Seattle Karate Vs. L.A. Karate

dude wrote good scores no doubt

Some Guy TT
Aug 30, 2011

Ghost Leviathan posted:

Pretty sure TF2 came out way after The Incredibles. (on searching, yes; The Incredibles in 2004, TF2 in 2007. If anything TF2 was considered inspired by it, especially since it has a similar 60s setting and art style)

Both of them are just drawing on the same sources, though; retro sci-fi, comic books and pulp from that era.

timesplitters was the first thing to pop in my mind and yeah its more of a same reference material thing i dont think anyone looked at timesplitters and said hey lets make a movie that looks like that

personally i think the weird cartoony style timesplitters had going still holds up pretty well jank notwithstanding im playing through second sight right now and its still convincing even in a more serious storyline

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

I'm nae the voice o' the darkened thistle, but th' darkened thistle cannae bear the sight o' our Bonnie Prince Bernie nae mair.
Any other big American Dad fans out there? What's the best American Dad christmas episode??

Pepe Silvia Browne
Jan 1, 2007

Mantis42 posted:

Adult Swims Yule Log special sure is something.

I loved it

DoombatINC
Apr 20, 2003

Here's the thing, I'm a feminist.

just watched Electra (1996) which i was expecting to be a big slice of sci fi action thriller cheese, and it eventually got there, but not before a huge loving slab of "the writer's barely-disguised fetish" - it's stepmother stuff! lots of it! more than you'd be expecting! the movie is otherwise fun and campy and you could have a good time hollering at it with friends, but i feel like knowing how incest-y it gets and not knowing are two different watching experiences. anyways, here's Shannon Tweed and Katie Griffin flying and doing kittycat claws at each other:

https://i.imgur.com/LVJSKSx.mp4

DoombatINC has issued a correction as of 03:03 on Dec 13, 2022

Tankbuster
Oct 1, 2021
Do TF2 gmod videos count as part of pop culture?

Atrocious Joe
Sep 2, 2011

Ozark feels like a fake TV show to me still. I think I watched half a season of it and my takeaway was that the producers thought Breaking Bad was too lighthearted.

Farm Frenzy
Jan 3, 2007

Atrocious Joe posted:

Ozark feels like a fake TV show to me still. I think I watched half a season of it and my takeaway was that the producers thought Breaking Bad was too lighthearted.

I kinda liked that it starts from where breaking bad was in like season 3 and only gets nastier but they completely spun their wheels for the last two seasons

damn horror queefs
Oct 14, 2005

say hello
say hello to the man in the elevator

DoombatINC posted:

anyways, here's Shannon Tweed and Katie Griffin flying and doing kittycat claws at each other:

https://i.imgur.com/LVJSKSx.mp4

Lmao

Durf
Aug 16, 2017

Farm Frenzy posted:

I kinda liked that it starts from where breaking bad was in like season 3 and only gets nastier but they completely spun their wheels for the last two seasons

i liked Ozark better than BB because of Ruth and the fact it had several female characters that were written as more than annoying killjoy shrews. main drawback was characters occasionally getting infected by Bateman voice.

also it never reached the levels of hopeless degradation seen in Jessie's arc

fits my needs
Jan 1, 2011

Grimey Drawer
https://twitter.com/Variety/status/1602505837272092673?s=20&t=_ww0z1_-4CRu-Wwl4gXoBQ

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Do not trust in hope- it will betray you! Only faith and hatred sustain.

Avatar 2 is either going to be the embarrassing disaster of the decade or shockingly fantastic

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jazerus
May 24, 2011

everyone is saying, "where is spider, the human friend of jake and neytiri's children"