Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Wildtortilla
Jul 8, 2008

Feels Villeneuve posted:

phil spencer please port lost odyssey to switch thank you

This too. Forget getting cod on Nintendo.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

gariig
Dec 31, 2004
Beaten into submission by my fiance
Pillbug
I was able to buy 2 of the N64 Switch controllers at retail price from Nintendo. It only took like 9 months to do it. One is going to my brother-in-law, I hope he appreciates it

Kazy
Oct 23, 2006

0x38: FLOPPY_INTERNAL_ERROR

dolphinbomb posted:

Having a portable console with FFI through FFX available is gonna own.

I've said it before I'll say it again:

Put FFXI on the Switch You Cowards™

100YrsofAttitude
Apr 29, 2013

So I beat Dread.

It's excellent. It's not the best Metroid, for me, but I think it's a perfect game for newer generations. The way its designed is just very modern. I'd probably rank 2nd or 3rd best overall. I think I have such a love for Metroid 1-3 that the newer games just don't quite hit my expectations. I felt slightly rail-roaded, but that's more due to the game's breakneck pace. I probably could've stopped and explored a bit, but you just keep charging into things non stop, which is one of the pluses of this latest characterization of the character.

It's very interesting to go into Dread having played Returns so recently. They both learned a lot from it, but also were strongly inspired by it. Mercury Stream's history with Returns massively informs how Dread is laid out, with each area being more or less independent from the others. Sure they're more intertwined with the inter-area travel methods and in the end it's not all that different from the elevators in 3 or 1, but the way your dragged from one area to another (or even locked in) really keeps it from being the more aimless wandering of the earlier games.

This is probably for the best, since it keeps you focused and it allowed for a more hand-crafted map which really lets you take advantage of Samus's super smooth mobility. I remember how in Hollow Knight you'd just have to trudge from one end of the massive map to another. In Dread getting around isn't all that bad, and the escape sequences from the EMMI's become far more enjoyable with her parkouring everywhere. It's certainly a Metroidvania, since new abilities allow you to progress, but the game doesn't really make you look for the paths since you'll be led to them. In the end the exploration ends up being optional regarding how many power-ups you want, which I do feel is less in the spirit of the genre but again it's a small nit-pick.

As for the plot, which 100% took me by surprise since I knew very little going into it. I think they completely jumped the shark in both the coolest and dumbest way. The writer has no idea how DNA works but whatever. Samus being the LAST Metroid (and Chozo it would seem, and maybe X parasite?) is incredibly stupid but it looked rad. The thing is I have no doubts this is exactly what was intended from the first game, which just means the limited hardware did everyone SO many favors. Still, I won't lie that I'd adore a sequel that continues to explore this angle.

Ultimately, there were some little things that disappointed me, but with a series of such a caliber as Metroid it's hard not to expect a lot. For example, I really wanted more organic and natural environments, I don't think I ever got them except for a few rooms. Everything reminded me far too much of the artificial environments from Fusion, which I think is my least favorite Metroid game for how linear it was and for its plot (Other M doesn't count). The EMMI's are great, but you can't help but feel they could've been better. The boss fights are fun, but they're "too" much, as in they often have several stages (with no checkpoints which I've never liked for a boss), and considering the rest of the game it feels a bit out of place. Yet, it's sheer quality. I'm really glad they made it. I really hope they'll make more. There's nothing quite like Metroid out there (not talking the genre but the game and its feel), especially in Nintendo's franchises.

In the end I think my favorite is Zero Mission, just because it has the improved gameplay of newer games, with the amazing map and atmosphere of the first game, then Super Metroid, which is a GOAT for a reason, but then Dread comes up behind them for being an improved Samus Returns, and while I do really love Metroid 2 (it's so beautifully claustrophobic) I won't be as obtuse to think it's actually good.

Now, I may buy Tunic, or I may actually try to beat and play Subnautica despite not really getting into it the first time. I'll sit on it and play Portal 2 in the mean time.

Thank you all for joining me on this several year journey.

Wildtortilla
Jul 8, 2008

100YrsofAttitude posted:

So I beat Dread.

It's excellent. It's not the best Metroid, for me, but I think it's a perfect game for newer generations. The way its designed is just very modern. I'd probably rank 2nd or 3rd best overall. I think I have such a love for Metroid 1-3 that the newer games just don't quite hit my expectations. I felt slightly rail-roaded, but that's more due to the game's breakneck pace. I probably could've stopped and explored a bit, but you just keep charging into things non stop, which is one of the pluses of this latest characterization of the character.

It's very interesting to go into Dread having played Returns so recently. They both learned a lot from it, but also were strongly inspired by it. Mercury Stream's history with Returns massively informs how Dread is laid out, with each area being more or less independent from the others. Sure they're more intertwined with the inter-area travel methods and in the end it's not all that different from the elevators in 3 or 1, but the way your dragged from one area to another (or even locked in) really keeps it from being the more aimless wandering of the earlier games.

This is probably for the best, since it keeps you focused and it allowed for a more hand-crafted map which really lets you take advantage of Samus's super smooth mobility. I remember how in Hollow Knight you'd just have to trudge from one end of the massive map to another. In Dread getting around isn't all that bad, and the escape sequences from the EMMI's become far more enjoyable with her parkouring everywhere. It's certainly a Metroidvania, since new abilities allow you to progress, but the game doesn't really make you look for the paths since you'll be led to them. In the end the exploration ends up being optional regarding how many power-ups you want, which I do feel is less in the spirit of the genre but again it's a small nit-pick.

As for the plot, which 100% took me by surprise since I knew very little going into it. I think they completely jumped the shark in both the coolest and dumbest way. The writer has no idea how DNA works but whatever. Samus being the LAST Metroid (and Chozo it would seem, and maybe X parasite?) is incredibly stupid but it looked rad. The thing is I have no doubts this is exactly what was intended from the first game, which just means the limited hardware did everyone SO many favors. Still, I won't lie that I'd adore a sequel that continues to explore this angle.

Ultimately, there were some little things that disappointed me, but with a series of such a caliber as Metroid it's hard not to expect a lot. For example, I really wanted more organic and natural environments, I don't think I ever got them except for a few rooms. Everything reminded me far too much of the artificial environments from Fusion, which I think is my least favorite Metroid game for how linear it was and for its plot (Other M doesn't count). The EMMI's are great, but you can't help but feel they could've been better. The boss fights are fun, but they're "too" much, as in they often have several stages (with no checkpoints which I've never liked for a boss), and considering the rest of the game it feels a bit out of place. Yet, it's sheer quality. I'm really glad they made it. I really hope they'll make more. There's nothing quite like Metroid out there (not talking the genre but the game and its feel), especially in Nintendo's franchises.

In the end I think my favorite is Zero Mission, just because it has the improved gameplay of newer games, with the amazing map and atmosphere of the first game, then Super Metroid, which is a GOAT for a reason, but then Dread comes up behind them for being an improved Samus Returns, and while I do really love Metroid 2 (it's so beautifully claustrophobic) I won't be as obtuse to think it's actually good.

Now, I may buy Tunic, or I may actually try to beat and play Subnautica despite not really getting into it the first time. I'll sit on it and play Portal 2 in the mean time.

Thank you all for joining me on this several year journey.

Metroid rules. Glad you enjoyed Dread!

I agree with everything you wrote about Dread. The environment being bland was the absolute lowest part of the game. I often had no idea where I was because everything looked the sane, with a few exceptions.

Barreft
Jul 21, 2014

Holy poo poo Crisis Core is out now? I havent even paid attention hell yes

e: Runs great yuzu on steam deck

Barreft fucked around with this message at 01:05 on Dec 13, 2022

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

Barreft posted:

Holy poo poo Crisis Core is out now? I havent even paid attention hell yes

e: Runs great yuzu on steam deck

Why the gently caress would you emulate the switch version on steam deck instead of just getting the steam version?

American McGay
Feb 28, 2010

by sebmojo
Because one of those is free.

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.

John Wick of Dogs posted:

Why the gently caress would you emulate the switch version on steam deck instead of just getting the steam version?

Piracy, OP

Stux
Nov 17, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 3 days!

severe brain damage

DuhSal
Aug 16, 2004

I will, brother. I promise.

Pillbug

gariig posted:

I was able to buy 2 of the N64 Switch controllers at retail price from Nintendo. It only took like 9 months to do it. One is going to my brother-in-law, I hope he appreciates it

Thank you for this post! I checked and was able to purchase one for myself, after months of failing too!

Barreft
Jul 21, 2014

e: dumb

Barreft fucked around with this message at 03:46 on Dec 13, 2022

ExcessBLarg!
Sep 1, 2001

Wildtortilla posted:

The environment being bland was the absolute lowest part of the game.
Eh, the BGM is really the worst.

If you're going to emulate it anyways the PSP version has been out for 15 years.

Barreft
Jul 21, 2014

Denuvo

RillAkBea
Oct 11, 2008

hatty posted:

They should put the XIII trilogy on there next. I’m one of the sickos that actually likes all of them

I played them through during lockdown and XIII and XIII-2 were much better than their lukewarm reputation, but the time limited events in Lightning Returns gave me completionism anxiety.

Ohtsam
Feb 5, 2010

Not this shit again.

There’s been no reports of crisis core running badly on anything period because it’s a drat psp game. Just admit you wanted to play it for free or at the very least don’t brag about being a cheapass

Ohtsam fucked around with this message at 07:12 on Dec 13, 2022

Kagrenac
Jan 14, 2017

RillAkBea posted:

I played them through during lockdown and XIII and XIII-2 were much better than their lukewarm reputation, but the time limited events in Lightning Returns gave me completionism anxiety.

I felt the same way before playing it but it's really not a big deal. If you spend ep on your timestop power you'll end up having days with nothing left to do.

It also has quests you can't finish until ng+ and a lot of systems that only unlock then so missing something on your first run really isn't a big deal.

An Actual Princess
Dec 23, 2006

Ohtsam posted:

There’s been no reports of crisis core running badly on anything period because it’s a drat psp game. Just admit you wanted to play it for free or at the very least don’t brag about being a cheapass

why do you give a poo poo lol

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Nintendo brain

Takoluka
Jun 26, 2009

Don't look at me!

Pirate every game, including indies.

Ohtsam
Feb 5, 2010

Not this shit again.
Pirate everything, just feels dumb brag about it for a dumb reason

100YrsofAttitude
Apr 29, 2013

Just got a Christmas bonus of some 80 euro which is nice, but it's lame because we're stuck to a website with not limited choice but also not like A LOT. I'd rather just 80 euro but whatever.

So I'm getting Mario 3D World which is cool, and I had enough left over to get the Switch Layton game for my wife. I don't know if she'll like it, but here's hoping. She really enjoyed the 3DS ones for what it's worth.

I think I'm going to clean up by back log a bit by taking out Portal 2 and Subnautica before diving into some indies.

PowerBeard
Sep 4, 2011

Stux posted:

severe brain damage

Don't sign your posts.

Foul Fowl
Sep 12, 2008

Uuuuh! Seek ye me?
brain damage makes for the best posters . . . get pwned with your working synapses, normie

ONE YEAR LATER
Apr 13, 2004

Fry old buddy, it's me, Bender!
Oven Wrangler
I have almost 3 weeks off starting Friday and I can't wait to play some games on my Nintendo Switch. Gonna finish Monkey Island then move on to Kirby and then who knows!

Prurient Squid
Jul 21, 2008

Tiddy cat Buddha improving your day.
Well I finally tried 13 Sentinels. I lasted 5m. The battlefield was very confusing for my brain. Maybe I'll fare better in hand held mode rather than on the TV.

glassyalabolas
Oct 21, 2006
I want to bowl with the gangsters...

https://twitter.com/megaman/status/1602457190517940225

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

My favourite little monsters

Prurient Squid posted:

Well I finally tried 13 Sentinels. I lasted 5m. The battlefield was very confusing for my brain. Maybe I'll fare better in hand held mode rather than on the TV.

The battlefield stuff is weird at first, especially given how abstracted everything is, but it makes sense after a while. That's not a huge part of the game though, so if it's an annoyance I'd suggest turning the difficulty down as low as you can so you can power through it and get to the visual novel stuff.

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.

the new info is that it is canceled, due to putins illegal war in ukraine

Palmtree Panic
Jul 28, 2007

He has no style, he has no grace

Oh yeah getting hyped for Mega Man X9 & Mega Man 12.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Palmtree Panic posted:

Oh yeah getting hyped for Mega Man X9 & Mega Man 12.

😢

American McGay
Feb 28, 2010

by sebmojo
Nintendo's Year In Review is out and it's weird and confusing without a comprehensive chunk of interesting information. Epic fail.

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
didnt need nintendo to tell me this. i really need to delete STS it's keeping me from playing other games

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Looper
Mar 1, 2012

American McGay posted:

Nintendo's Year In Review is out and it's weird and confusing without a comprehensive chunk of interesting information. Epic fail.

works on my machine, let's you scroll through info month by month and the background changes based on which game is highlighted. nintendo does it again

100YrsofAttitude
Apr 29, 2013

I'm not surprised by Triangle Strategy being my most played game having done all 4 playthroughs. Splatoon 3 sneaking in behind it is reasonable, and FFX is 3rd. Yep, that all scans.

Hm... I've been playing the SNES App over 3 years, I wonder how that's collected though, and I don't know what game it was. Probably Kirby Dreamland 3 which I finally beat after Forgotten World.

It was a RPG/SRPG year for me it would seem. With squids.

Huxley
Oct 10, 2012

Grimey Drawer
We bought Tetris Effect in March, and apparently my wife has played 400 hours of JUST Purify mode.

100YrsofAttitude
Apr 29, 2013

It is the best Tetris.

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here
Sports Story when?

Also, I continue to be annoyed at Nintendo's "it's too late to redeem gold points for your game that is only a year or so old" policy. Found a game on my shelf I had forgotten to open/redeem. Only 60 cents but it's still pretty anti-consumer. Big surprise that Nintendo is anti-consumer.

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon

100YrsofAttitude posted:

Hm... I've been playing the SNES App over 3 years,

in 2022? impressive

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

glassyalabolas
Oct 21, 2006
I want to bowl with the gangsters...

Battle Network Collection releases April 14, 2023.